Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

And their stock went up from all the meme fun

That's because the stock market bots can't tell the difference between a spike in social media talking about the new Mario game and the new Mario fanart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Leal posted:

The hell I can't!

im sorry we can't let even you gently caress the flag

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Trumphuggingaflag.png

Meanwhile RLM discuss a werewolf movie that came in the mail one day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQYdtaH41k

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

That's the joke twitter account.

Oh gently caress me!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

lobster22221 posted:

Oh gently caress me!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LAW- SUIT! LAW- SUIT! LAW- SUIT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq6iX1htl28

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

achillesforever6 posted:

I just found it funny how people are getting all bent out of shape about it, but then again I grew up on TF webcomics/deviantart so maybe I'm just immune to how mostly innocuous it is

My twitter feed is mostly a horror show of takes regarding the molester the GOP is trying to put on the supreme court so if people want to play "Hey what if this Super Mario enemy was a cute girl?" that is FINE. That is GREAT, in fact. Put that magic princess crown on everything. I want sexy versions of the Burger Time food monsters by COB today, people.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjAFFi5Q8o

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EndOfTheWorld posted:

My twitter feed is mostly a horror show of takes regarding the molester the GOP is trying to put on the supreme court so if people want to play "Hey what if this Super Mario enemy was a cute girl?" that is FINE. That is GREAT, in fact. Put that magic princess crown on everything. I want sexy versions of the Burger Time food monsters by COB today, people.

yea my twitter is 50% politics, 25% video game/comic book/D&D/other nerd poo poo, 25% artists I like and that last 50% combining to flood me with 'what if Bowser but cute?????' is welcome

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The current contrapoints drama makes me want to loving scream and I hate it. As someone who doesn't really identify with the gender binary, watching people take her last video and (seemingly deliberately) misconstrue it as her being "truscum" and taking her responses out of context to say she's erasing non binary people makes me want to grab them all y the shoulders and loving shake them till they listen.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 27, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The current contrapoints drama makes me want to loving scream and I hate it. As someone who doesn't really identify with the gender binary, watching people take her last video and (seemingly deliberately) misconstrue it as her being "truscum" and taking her responses out of context to say she's erasing non binary people makes me want to grab them all y the shoulders and loving shake them till they listen.

the problem is maybe she probably shouldn't entirely do a video on such an incredibly subjective and deeply personal topic in the format of a debate with two fictional personas that have established tropes and poo poo. Like, yea I think we were meant to agree with the catgirl and all but...she's constantly the wrong one in the videos...Not really the BAD side or whatever but always the 'oh your heart is in the wrong place but you're dumb' type

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

the problem is maybe she probably shouldn't entirely do a video on such an incredibly subjective and deeply personal topic in the format of a debate with two fictional personas that have established tropes and poo poo. Like, yea I think we were meant to agree with the catgirl and all but...she's constantly the wrong one in the videos...Not really the BAD side or whatever but always the 'oh your heart is in the wrong place but you're dumb' type

Both of them were wrong, though? Or at least they both said things that are untrue.

The non-catgirl one kept saying things like "But men run the world and that's just the way it is!" I thought we were meant to read it as a comical defending of the status quo and that nothing can ever change.

Honestly it was a very confusing video.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

Both of them were wrong, though? Or at least they both said things that are untrue.

The non-catgirl one kept saying things like "But men run the world and that's just the way it is!" I thought we were meant to read it as a comical defending of the status quo and that nothing can ever change.

Honestly it was a very confusing video.

yea it was a weird video using two characters that are usually foils (though at least Cathy's a sympathetic foil) to talk about a real personal topic.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's an internal debate being played out between two archetypes, there's not supposed to be a 'right' and 'wrong' side. just one person struggling with a difficult question. approaching contra's videos like they're essays rather then art pieces is the wrong approach, imo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

it's an internal debate being played out between two archetypes, there's not supposed to be a 'right' and 'wrong' side. just one person struggling with a difficult question. approaching contra's videos like they're essays rather then art pieces is the wrong approach, imo

Yea, that's probably the right approach to take.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
New AVGN, where he looks at Drake of the 99 Dragons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVybGgvGMlk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Max Wilco posted:

New AVGN, where he looks at Drake of the 99 Dragons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVybGgvGMlk

I was just about to post this. Shiiiit I remember this game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

First 20 seconds is required watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtLxMEl0fBA

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I find Contra’s character-based videos to be basically unwatchable. It used to be that she would explain a topic in a clear, informative way that even an outsider could understand; now, they’re full of esoteric talking points delivered in a manner that seems designed to be as off-putting to the casual viewer as possible. It’s like she’s only interested in preaching to the choir these days, which is a shame because I really liked most of her earlier stuff.

Max Wilco posted:

It's good to see the original internet critic tackling stuff that's (slightly) more modern. Not that there's anything wrong with talking about terrible NES games but there's a whole world of poo poo from the 2000s just waiting to be mocked.

Between the AVGN and his new Rental Reviews series, James Rolfe is still doing great even after all these years. Other Youtube personalities might have burned out by now be he just seems to be such a chill dude that it doesn't affect him.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 27, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh jesus I looked up the Contra drama and it's ridiculous and I wish I hadn't. Of course the original threads are gone so there's a bunch of things being taken out of context now but it seems like the moment she says something that touches with the reality of the difficulties of any transition, never mind a non-binary transition it sets off a storm. Like a bunch of people just pretend that actually transition isn't hard at all and if you say it is then you're automatically cancelled bigoted truscum...ugh, I could say more but I'm just going to not. loving trans community bullshit.

Anyway, James Rolfe has been doing this thing since 2004 (like, he was basically the first. Not that there weren't a handful dotted around at the same time, but he was the first to blow up in '06). He inspired all of us and he's still kicking it. And there has never been anything at all to say that he's not anything but the nicest and classiest person around - 12 years of pretty much no controversy whatsoever (I mean, there was that Ghostbusters thing but it blew over when everyone kinda saw there was poo poo-all to gain from it). I guess there's a lesson here about staying the hell off social media and concentrating on a nice and drama-free personal life with your family instead.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

AVGN has always been unwatchable garbage for me. His whole profane edgy persona is garbage. How come we didn't shun this guy along with Doug Walker?

"I could literally be making a sculpture of a horse taking a poo poo out of poo poo by the time it takes to get up there."

Yeah, shut up

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DoubleCakes posted:

AVGN has always been unwatchable garbage for me. His whole profane edgy persona is garbage. How come we didn't shun this guy along with Doug Walker?

YMMV on his persona, but he seems like a genuinely nice guy who just likes to talk about videogames and movies and doesn't have much of an ego about it, so it's hard to poo poo on him too much.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

For me AVGN is just someone I've grown out off. I don't begrudge him his popularity or his fans their enjoyment, but I just don't really find him all that entertaining. Well I liked that weird vid he did on a Dreamcast game about growing your own mutant fish monster. That one was entertaining, and horrifying.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Unlike Doug, James' videos at least show marked improvement over time.

His style of humor is largely the same, but he does way more than Doug ever did with his content.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

AVGN is a relic, and people like their relics. I agree that James' presentation has stagnated and his criticisms both as the Nerd and in other videos outside that series are very, very shallow, but at least he hasn't shafted his co-workers like Doug.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is a separation between the AVGN persona and James Rolfe. There is no such distinction between Doug and Nostalgia Critic.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

This. I honestly can't understand how anyone can watch these videos and conclude that there is a "right" and "wrong" person in them, since both participants say equally correct and completely stupid things.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Puppy Time posted:

This. I honestly can't understand how anyone can watch these videos and conclude that there is a "right" and "wrong" person in them, since both participants say equally correct and completely stupid things.

If anything, my impression was that a synthesis of the two was the intended takeaway; Tabby is ultimately correct, but her complete lack of rhetorical engagement meant that Justine was able to completely talk her in circles, and Justine was correct in her appraisal of societies view of transwomen, but so lacks in self worth that she's completely internalized it instead of using her rhetorical ability to shift the views of the outside world.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 27, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If anything, my impression was that a synthesis of the two was the intended takeaway; Tabby is ultimately correct, but her complete lack of rhetorical engagement meant that Justine was able to completely talk her in circles, and Justine was correct in her appraisal of societies view of transwomen, but so lacks in self worth that she's completely internalized it instead of using her rhetorical ability to shift the views of the outside world.

Mine was more "both are correct in different settings, and both have something to contribute, even with their big stupid flaws." Experience has taught me that there's no single solution that works for every person, so different approaches to problems, depending on the situation, can be valid.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
As a straight white cis-dude, it mostly helped me understand what she's going through, which I thought was the point. If there was a clear-cut answer she would have outright stated it instead of the ambiguous dialogue she did make.

Empathy is good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best avgn video is earthbound because he mostly doesn't do the toilet humor poo poo. i too have grown out of that, but otoh james also does other videos outside of that series where he talks a lot more matter-of-fact and those are pretty good.

compared to, say, every single one of his imitators, he's always been a lot less one dimensional, and hell he can be pretty fuckin funny describing terrible games when he isn't using toilet humor to do it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, this pretty much.

People always seem to think that Tabby is the one we're always supposed to disagree with in Contra's videos, but I don't think that's it at all. Of all the Contra characters she's like the one with the least amount of bullshit about her, who's unapologetically herself. She's the heart, the one who's reactive and instinctive. She tries to debate by citing communist philosophy but because she's from the heart she'll immediately be frustrated at people who just don't get it - like gently caress's sake, why WOULDN'T you understand it? She's not meant to be a "good" debater, she's the perfectly understandable instinct that people have to face someone like Abigail Cockbane and simply say "gently caress you you're wrong, gently caress you we're right." and not care about what that looks like. Just as in real life - when Zoey Tur turned to Ben Shapiro and said that if you continue you'll go home in an ambulance...like yeah, when it comes to debating it's kinda out of line. It sure isn't going to win you an argument any time soon. It might make you look unhinged. But...there's still that one thought in the back of your mind that's like "Yeah! G'wan! Sort him out! He's a loving arsehole!" isn't there?

Lotsa folk seem to think that Justine is the Contra self-insert, and sure - she knows some home truths. She knows that in society things aren't so simple as just saying "Here I am, this is me, deal with it" and expecting everyone and everything to just go along with it but she gets so wrapped up in that, she kinda fools herself into thinking that everything's all cool with yourself if you just do all the things that heteronormativity expects of you. As mentioned, it's kinda a less destructive Tiffany Tumbles - Justine doesn't go as far as to side fully with the conservatives and dehumanise/insult other trans women in the process, but she wants to be liked by everyone because she's "reasonable". And yet there's a big part of her that's really envious of Tabby - that's the whole point of her huge crush on her, she wishes that she could be like Tabby is but couldn't ever get past her hang-ups and her want to not be as divisive.

Neither are self-inserts...or both are self-inserts. They're two sides of the same coin. There's a big old mix of Tabby and Justine in all of us.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Roth posted:

Unlike Doug, James' videos at least show marked improvement over time.

His style of humor is largely the same, but he does way more than Doug ever did with his content.

well he also knows how to do low key just talking type videos. like sure he has skits and poo poo but he also just talks camly about the stuff. he also does cool videos that arn't avgn stuff. plus he seems like cool and chill dude and i have never heard anything bad about him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

As a straight white cis-dude, it mostly helped me understand what she's going through, which I thought was the point. If there was a clear-cut answer she would have outright stated it instead of the ambiguous dialogue she did make.

Empathy is good.

yeah, Contra is really great at explaining various stuff about the Trans community in an interesting and empathetic way. hell, she is just a super empathetic person.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kim Justice posted:

Neither are self-inserts...or both are self-inserts. They're two sides of the same coin. There's a big old mix of Tabby and Justine in all of us.
But there must always be a right and a wrong in the discourse!!?!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This isn’t a side of Youtube that this thread talks about but I hate Keemstar.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sponges posted:

This isn’t a side of Youtube that this thread talks about but I hate Keemstar.

Go on...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

man keemstar and those youtube dramatists. They reek.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
keemstar is one of my favorite dumb dudes because he genuinely thinks he's somehow something more than TMZ's lovely cousin for way dumber drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DoubleCakes posted:

Because James Rolfe is a cool dude everywhere else? AVGN is pretty much his gimmick that keeps on because "Hey it's some extra youtube bux for me and my family" and he gets to act like a big idiot in a harmless way for yucks, the guy's not even "edgy" at all anymore considering we're in a time where straight up neo-nazis are constantly trying to sucker in young people through the new media, he just curses and makes poop jokes. He also does a whole lot more videos out of character than as the AVGN these days that are great, because the guy's knowledgeable on a bunch of classic horror movies, lost memorabilia and old film type stuff. By all accounts he's a mild-mannered, kindly person, pretty much the only ill that's ever come from him was the nuGhostbusters stuff, wherein all he said was "People keep asking me to talk about it, no thanks, I'm not gonna watch it, I love the original movie and that's enough for me", which people dragged way out of context to try and paint him as some dudebro that hates women and this daring new movie.

Also yeah Keemstar is a low-rent TMZ with more racism.