Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I just grabbed a new (used) dust collector and the seller didn't have any bags. Looking online I see plastic and fabric ones. Im leaning towards the fabric one since I empty my dust/shaving into brown bags for the city to collect. But I figured Id ask here what people thought before I ordered.

Also has anyone tried these built in Baffle Separators that go right inside your DC?
https://www.busybeetools.com/products/baffle-separator-for-2hp-and-3hp.html

The DC already has a canister filter but since I'm debating moving my shop to the basement, I want to cut down on as much dust as possible so it doesn't risk getting elsewhere in the house.
Im also debating building my on baffle or cyclone but that project would be a few months away and this is a pretty cheap option if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

What is the hive mind consensus on the best garage/shop light? I finally have a garage and now I want to start outfitting it.

Handheld LED, corded, or rechargeable cordless

I grew up using this kind that would break the filament in the bulb every time you bumped it against something.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tasco-35-ft-16-3-SJTW-Metal-Guard-Worklight-Retractable-Cord-Reel-Yellow-and-Black-07-00253/203534215

For additional lighting, I am thinking of replacing the existing bare bulbs with these.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4-ft.-Linkable-LED-Utility-Motion-Sensor-Shop-Lights%2C-2-pack-.product.100415188.html

or for a couple bucks more these

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

which seem to get better reviews.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ive got 6 of the four foot long feit shop lights from costco and they're great BUT i looked at the ones in link #2 at the store the other day and they look like complete cheap poo poo compared to these ones (they also use 52w instead of 42w):

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4%27-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

which of course, were not in stock at that store. these are closer to the ones i bought originally but they are linkable which is nice.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have 2 of the 42w non motion feit Costco lights in my garage and I love them.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

ive got 6 of the four foot long feit shop lights from costco

I was looking for these at my Co, but they only had the motion ones in stock. I can order the other ones online tho.

What about the handheld light? Any recs in this thread?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Honestly I never use corded handheld lights anymore. I have a M12 lantern style worklight, and I'm tempted to pick up one of the stick style lights (either an Astro Pneumatic as seen on both ETCG and South Main Auto, or the HF clone).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have one of those stick LED lights with magnets and a rechargeable battery. It works very well and is a lot more convenient for small spot lighting than anything with a cord. The amount of illumination it provides can't match the bigger lights of course.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ThirstyBuck posted:

I was looking for these at my Co, but they only had the motion ones in stock. I can order the other ones online tho.

What about the handheld light? Any recs in this thread?

Why use your hand like some rube when god gave you a perfectly good forehead

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Fuckin lmao

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Does software count as a tool/toy?

I subscribed to Chief Architect to learn and use and am really digging it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Got this sucker bolted to my bench and immediately used it to modify a gate latch and hold/repair a couple of garden hand tools.

I'll probably never paint it but I don't think it'll suffer.

Oh, I looked it up, this was probably made about 1929, nearly 90 years ago.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

ThirstyBuck posted:

For additional lighting, I am thinking of replacing the existing bare bulbs with these.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4-ft.-Linkable-LED-Utility-Motion-Sensor-Shop-Lights%2C-2-pack-.product.100415188.html

I put up 4 of these in my garage shop (around 10x20 feet) and the difference was just amazing. I wish I had done it sooner. I highly recommend these.
Its nice they can just chain together. I didn't want to rewrite the actual fixtures so I just chained the lights together and plugged the last one into a power bar so I can easily turn them all on at once.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

cakesmith handyman posted:

Got this sucker bolted to my bench and immediately used it to modify a gate latch and hold/repair a couple of garden hand tools.

I'll probably never paint it but I don't think it'll suffer.

Oh, I looked it up, this was probably made about 1929, nearly 90 years ago.

Nice! I love it. Doesn't look very heavy duty at all

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Nice! I love it. Doesn't look very heavy duty at all

I don't know how to reply to that? Is my sarcasm detector broken?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yes

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Only the second half was sarcasm! I do love it and it looks real Heavy Duty in a not bad way. I love old tools. That is prob worth ~$100

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

IOwnCalculus posted:

A, badass, B, perhaps watch some Hand Tool Rescue for inspiration?
Oh, I have. i'm just a bit worried about not being able to get it back together right -- neither of the HTR knockoffs I've watched restore something like it were very clear on how they put it back together (one used pop rivets with washers, the other tiny nuts and bolts, but no details given).

I'm thinking brown rustoleum hammered finish for the outside, matte OD or brown inside, red for the trays, and black hardware. Maybe I'll get started on it this coming weekend, if it stops raining.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Luckily I can fix that now I have a vice!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Only the second half was sarcasm! I do love it and it looks real Heavy Duty in a not bad way. I love old tools. That is prob worth ~$100

Okay! It's easily 20kg, I wanted an old vice because you get more for your money. The downside is between this, my bandsaw and drill press I need imperial tools!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Luckily I can fix that now I have a vice!

I wanted an old vice because you get more for your money.

I'm imagining Lauren Bacall or some other noir film actress saying this

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is there some sort of a "hand powered" C&C machine? Basically something that I could stick a router bit on to and using wheels have it move around the piece very accurately? Or have the table move around a stationary bit?

In essence I want the C&C machine setup but I want to guide it by hand not plug it into a computer.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is there some sort of a "hand powered" C&C machine? Basically something that I could stick a router bit on to and using wheels have it move around the piece very accurately? Or have the table move around a stationary bit?

In essence I want the C&C machine setup but I want to guide it by hand not plug it into a computer.

https://www.shapertools.com/

MrPete
May 17, 2007
Has the shaper origin ever actually gone on sale? Whenever I've looked at the website it only ever says "coming soon".

At least it is portable and hand driven.

The other one I've read about is the handibot, at least you can actually buy it. Not quite the same though.

https://www.handibot.com/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

AFewBricksShy posted:

?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTGrV58wec

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AFewBricksShy posted:

Old school duplicating carving machines sort of do this. You trace one thing with a stylus that a router copies in three dimensions. You could probably rig up an XY table on an old overhead pin router too. Or make your own CNC gantry frame and have cranks on all the leadscrews instead of connecting them to computer controlled motors. Tons of parts for that kind of stuff on eBay/Amazon. I think the duplicating carver is probably your best bet for an off the shelf solution, but may not do exactly what you need-you’ll probably have to make something up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The pantorouter is a similar concept -- make a small template piece and the pantorouter recreates it at a different scale.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Scheppach Precisa 6 on sale second hand for £2k less than new. If only it wasn't in Wales..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHEPPACH-PRECISA-6-0-415V-12INCH-PRECISION-TABLE-SAW/323388710262

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

AFewBricksShy posted:

A milling machine. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Milling-Machine/G8689

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Holy poo poo that's exactly it. Unfortunately it's also way more expensive than I thought. Thanks though. (and thanks to everyone else too, I appreciate the input).

A special thanks to

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Disappointed to learn that Music Factory C and C actually has more than one song.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Holy poo poo that's exactly it. Unfortunately it's also way more expensive than I thought. Thanks though. (and thanks to everyone else too, I appreciate the input).

A special thanks to

Yeah they're designed to be rigid as hell and super precise. If you want to make your own etch-a-router it's actually be quite easy for 2d stuff, but of limited utility.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AFewBricksShy posted:

It’s CNC, computer numeric control.

Also yes two were linked above. I used a prototype of the shaper origin in 2014 and am a huge fan. Someone asked if they’ve sold any and yes they have, they seem to buy them in lots and I think they’ve done 2 lots now.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Long-term review (unpaid, just a satisfied customer): I bought this pair of Stanley Demo Drivers ten and a half years ago:

On the advice of a (shill for sponsorship) tool-review blog that hammered them all the way through a 2x4, with only light scratches on the handles. Paid or not, that's badass, the slotted one especially is a beast. Have used them for everything but driving screws almost every workday since. Mostly for prying/being hammered in between two piece of steel and then prying, Occasionally used as a cold chisel to beat the head off small screws. And using the handle as a mallet to beat kinda sharp-edged aluminum extrusion onto its clip-mount when the 3lb hammer would crush it, which is why the rubber is all hosed up now:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I found out Dewalt bought the design and fixed what minor problems it had (removed the overmould, which makes sense, and put a rubber bumper between the cap and handle to protect the plastic. Still :10bux: for the Phillips/slot pair. Same "Demo Driver" name, and as far as I can tell comparing brand-new to ten-years-old rode-hard-and-put-away-wet, identical aside from the improvements I mentioned.

So I ordered three new pairs -- one for my home toolbox, one for my brother, and one to replace the old set in my work toolbox. The old ones will go in my regular around-the-house kit for continuity -- all the tools I don't take to work got stolen a few months ago when somebody broke into my shed, and I'm slowly rebuilding.

Edit: the tip on the old one looks a bit narrower, but that's ten years of wear from beating on gondola shelving with it, so not bad.See the first photo straight out of the package.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 2, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a set of those that are probably no joke 15 years old and yeah, still awesome

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I bought a used dust collector and the strap that holds the bottom bag on was missing.

The replacement straps from Busy Bee are $38+tax + $12 shipping for a 2 pack.

Anyone know of somewhere I can buy just 1? I don't need 2 straps and the other will surely just go to waste/sit on a shelf for years. The bags are meant to work with this specific type of strap, so maybe I'm just out of luck.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

keep it down up there! posted:

I bought a used dust collector and the strap that holds the bottom bag on was missing.

The replacement straps from Busy Bee are $38+tax + $12 shipping for a 2 pack.

Anyone know of somewhere I can buy just 1? I don't need 2 straps and the other will surely just go to waste/sit on a shelf for years. The bags are meant to work with this specific type of strap, so maybe I'm just out of luck.

$20 for Lee valley ones, if they would work. LV has a good return policy if they don't I guess http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=44699&cat=1,42401&ap=1

coathat
May 21, 2007

Neat Home Depot started selling a small dust separator. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dustopper-High-Efficiency-Dust-Separator-12-in-dia-with-2-5-in-hose-36-in-long-HD12/302643445

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I like the low profile. I wonder how it compares to the Dust Deputy.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Awesome, I’ve seen a handful of people on Instagram testing these. I think it’s great to have other options especially in a smaller form factor and cheaper price than the dust deputy.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

In theory could you chain like 3 of those together? I kinda want to try now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Each one would reduce your suction by some amount, wouldn't it? It takes some amount of energy to keep the vortex spinning.