Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jonathan Fisk posted:

that's more emotion than i could ever muster for a show that turned into a gurren lagann cover

this show is so subversive by being exactly like these other 4 shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the character dynamics were pretty good for the first 15 episodes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There are two types of anime fans, anime fans that like shows that are secretly just Gunbuster, and anime fans that like shows that are secretly just NGE

I am the third type of fan, I like shows that are just Utena, have you guys seen this Revue Starlight?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm the anime fan who likes shows that are secretly just Dragonball.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like One Punch Man

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GeneX posted:

I like One Punch Man

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm more of seinen fan than a shonen fan

Naoki Urasawa is the bomb, yo

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Meinberg posted:

I'm more of seinen fan than a shonen fan

Naoki Urasawa is the bomb, yo

when they gonna adapt pluto!!!!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Samurai Champloo is the only good anime

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Dragon Ball Super movie in a few months :toot:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Bros

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The best anime is Persona 5.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

before Dominoes

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

CCKeane posted:

Having just finished my first play through of that, I agree.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a anime i like that noone ever really talks about is this one where this dude keeps mermen in his tub.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

imgay posted:

a anime i like that noone ever really talks about is this one where this dude keeps mermen in his tub.

The shape of water won best picture, didn't it?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CCKeane posted:

i too think the best anime is a story about outsiders and being anti authority but isn't actually about outsiders or marginalized people and presents gay people as predators and overall is just very conservative.

samurai champloo is a good anime.

the best anime is a eight way tie between a woman called fujiko mine, turn a gundam, concrete revolutio, revolutionary girl utena, patlabor, and some other stuff i guess

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the best anime is tenchi muyo because there is a cat that is also a spaceship

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im reading hunter x hunter right now, was surprised one of the arcs is about killua gettinghis trans sister away from their toxic family who keep otherizing her. that mangaka has come a far way from that weird bit in YYH.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like the idea and image of persona in my head more than i like the actual persona games. 3 and 4 i still have like, a bit of a soft spot for in some stuff, but that series needs a new director because dude is just kinda lovely and sexist.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Source your quotes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Source your quotes
Grow up.

I love Persona 3 Portable a hell of a lot, possibly my favorite game period, but pretending the series doesn't have issues is being willfully ignorant. Or did you forget about the part in Persona 5 where an arc about not objectifying and sexualizing teenage girls is immediately followed by the plot requiring that you pressure a teenage girl into stripping for someone? Or the part in Persona 4 where literally the only fat girl in the game is petty and mean and just generally made out to be as repulsive as possible? Or like half of Persona 3's social links? Or that before FES, the only way to max out your Social Links was to cheat on several different women with each other?

Or just how generally lovely the "lovable pervert" trope is? That's a whole other rant.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Objecting to minor aspects that one finds distasteful is certainly valid but similarly mis characterizing the storyline or said aspects because it doesn't correspond to one's preferred narrative is a waste

The gourmet King is not an intended assault on the healthy at any size movement, for example, but you'll likely find a reset era thread on it

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Also lol at having multiple partners as some supposed moral failing

The only really objectionable relationship in 3-5 is with Ken

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone should put a safety rail on that slippery slope you just fell down.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Now who's misrepresenting? I'm literally poly, and P3 isn't that. You can get caught cheating, and it will put the Links in Reverse. But there's still a mechanical incentive to cheat. The lesson there, whether intended or not, is "cheating is good, just don't get caught".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 29, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am not mis characterizing the storyline. 4 is a game about being outsiders, about people who aren't really outsiders, rebelling against authority, who all make conservative choices for their futures in their epilogues.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

the real problem is how back while making he three he genuinely thought heterosexual men and women could not be friends without wanting to gently caress each other lmao
what a goober

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That's not what the slippery slope is, friend

Wrt the relationships in 3 any sense of cheating is guilt projected by the player. The text doesn't support the idea of mc as taking advantage of his partners

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
about everything western fans applaud the persona games for, other games have done better. overall those elements do blend together to form a cool and stylish image, but the games always have kinda failed that image at the end. it needs fresh blood, and a new director to really do it justice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am not mis characterizing the storyline. 4 is a game about being outsiders, about people who aren't really outsiders, rebelling against authority, who all make conservative choices for their futures in their epilogues.
Yukiko voice: Now that I've acknowledged my bitterness at being obligated to take over the family business, I can make my own choice.... to take over the family business.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Things you like can have flaws, Taste.

For example, your posting.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

With the exception of mc and maybe Yosuke they aren't "outsiders" as they are just uncomfortable in their station. The distinction is that people growing into themselves makes more sense than just settling or w/e.

quote:

the real problem is how back while making he three he genuinely thought heterosexual men and women could not be friends without wanting to gently caress each other lmao
what a goober

It's an artistic choice to counter the volcel uprising, much like franxx

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Things you like can have flaws, Taste.

For example, your posting.

Persona has many flaws indeed! Its stories have major pacing issues and the secondary characters have wildly varying depth, for example

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It's an artistic choice to counter the volcel uprising, much like franxx

i love you taste, such a villian

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ilu2c

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I just played a game of mafia and didn't have a clue what was going on, are you lot all like super nerds or some poo poo when it comes.to this game or am I just too thick to play?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

willie_dee posted:

I just played a game of mafia and didn't have a clue what was going on, are you lot all like super nerds or some poo poo when it comes.to this game or am I just too thick to play?
The jargon can be a little thick. What had you the most confused?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

willie_dee posted:

Well you didn't get lynched so you're doing okay!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

willie_dee posted:

To be fair, it was a confusing game with some odd mechanics.

I don't think most games are as unusual.

However, I will say that I personally thought you played fine. Honestly, I think the other people were maybe a little....rude isn't the right word...but maybe didn't try to engage you as much as they should have.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

We did what vets do, we got caught up in our self importance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

In the wake of the first great Shine-fueled war that caught the world unprepared, things settled into a curious sort of détente. The great world powers had seen what Shine could do on the battlefield for the first time, and each nation's finest minds frantically considered how to turn its unpredictable might to their advantage. But in the meantime, life moved on.

Those who lived in the new nation of Nuevo Villa - New Home - found that life proceeded much like it had before. Sure, the taxmen spoke more Spanish than English, but all in all things hadn't changed much on the wild western frontier. That all changed when the stories began to spread - thanks to the power of Shine, people were finding untapped veins of gold out West! For those who felt the stirrings of curiosity - the desire to break away from their previous lives and seek fortune out West in a newly-conquered country, that was all the inspiration needed.

The second California Gold Rush has begun, fueled by the unpredictable whimsy of Shine.

Shine VI: Fool's Gold is a flavorful closed-setup game of Mafia for 16 players.

(Yes I know I got the thread title wrong. It's being fixed.)