Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would gladly pay 20 dollars a month for Nintendo Online if it included health insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Not a Children posted:

I'd pay $20 a month if it got me access to Nintendo's catalog through the Gamecube

That'd be nice, but the gamecube modem is several hundred dollars. There's some 512MB GCN memory cards now so storage shouldn't be an issue.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

100YrsofAttitude posted:

A Gameboy Mini would be interesting. Supposedly they could just release a gameboy looking thing but with ROMs. I feel like that would sell tons on Nostalgia alone (imagine if they gave it different cases, like the transparent one), but Gameboys aren't the most convenient portable being fairly bulky and would people, especially younger generations, tolerate such a small screen?

Maybe the solution would to be releasing a mini in the form of the GBC. I imagine they just won't ever do it. Nintendo has always treated their portables somewhat differently from their consoles. Which is what makes the Switch stand out even more. Will they even continue having a separate portable division once the 3DS wraps up?

Somebody already made the perfect Game Boy Classic: https://www.retromini.com

It's significantly smaller than the original but still comfortable to use, the screen is pixel perfect, and it plays everything up to GBA

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

It's significantly smaller than the original but still comfortable to use, the screen is pixel perfect, and it plays everything up to GBA

Is that a battery powered raspberry pi?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unironically they need to put a gamepass equivalent on this device and Ill pay good drat money for it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I would gladly pay 20 dollars a month for Nintendo Online if it included health insurance

Wow, same.

Get on it, Reggie

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

pixaal posted:

That'd be nice, but the gamecube modem is several hundred dollars. There's some 512MB GCN memory cards now so storage shouldn't be an issue.

I got a dial-up GCN modem back in the day for $20

I wonder if it can be used for literally anything at all these days

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a Switch full of emulators whether Nintendo delivers it or not

it's the perfect gaming system

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Guy Goodbody posted:

Finally a Dr. Mario sequel

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think the switch could grow into nintendo's best system yet. I could see my fondness for this thing exceeding even the SNES someday.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pixaal posted:

An awesome MHGU begginers guide

Thanks for this, it was very helpful. Appreciate it! Helped clear up a lot of what exactly I was supposed to be doing haha

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

I think the switch could grow into nintendo's best system yet. I could see my fondness for this thing exceeding even the SNES someday.

I fell in love the moment I touched it. The entire interface is super responsive. Going in and out of game feels like I'm playing on a PC, its zippier than my PS4 or PS3 ever was. This makes sense after the horrible responsiveness with the WiiU though. I decided to just do something else most of the time when I thought about playing the WiiU. Boot to game was far too long. It got better but the console was dead at that point.

The Switch just feels wonderful to use.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Not a Children posted:

I got a dial-up GCN modem back in the day for $20

I wonder if it can be used for literally anything at all these days

I had an old USB Modem I got for $15 "just incase" back in like 2004 that I spotted recently and finally sent that to be recycled. I'm sure I have twisted copper in that utility pipe somewhere but lol no way it's connected at this point to the house.

Even if you got into a dial up ISP with a GCN yeah there is no way it knows how to talk to anything anymore. Someone will just have to throw that modem out when you die

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

Finally a Dr. Mario sequel

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

I had an old USB Modem I got for $15 "just incase" back in like 2004 that I spotted recently and finally sent that to be recycled. I'm sure I have twisted copper in that utility pipe somewhere but lol no way it's connected at this point to the house.

Even if you got into a dial up ISP with a GCN yeah there is no way it knows how to talk to anything anymore. Someone will just have to throw that modem out when you die

I believe you can use it to play on private PSO servers still. The real thing you want is the 100/100 network adapter. It sells for a ton because you need it to play Mario Kart on LAN and to pirate games (you can spend several minutes loading a game from a network share if you know what you are doing). Again this is all gamecube, but there's totally a scene around doing both of these things. I looked at the price tag and have opted to just rebuild my gamecube collection buying used games for $2-4, everything from Amazon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Galaxy is a great game, but I've never liked Rosalina. Sure the series needs more women, but she just seemed like a knock-off version of Peach but in Space!. Does she even have much of a personality? Daisy is cool because they've managed to write her in a way that's different. Pauline's resurrection in Odyssey was great and somewhat inspired. Rosalina just seems to have no purpose whatsoever.

She's got a cool design and hairstyle you philistine

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

pixaal posted:

I believe you can use it to play on private PSO servers still. The real thing you want is the 100/100 network adapter. It sells for a ton because you need it to play Mario Kart on LAN and to pirate games (you can spend several minutes loading a game from a network share if you know what you are doing). Again this is all gamecube, but there's totally a scene around doing both of these things. I looked at the price tag and have opted to just rebuild my gamecube collection buying used games for $2-4, everything from Amazon.

$130 on amazon, yikes. Though if I was doing any of the LAN or online stuff still I'd have totally sucked it up and gotten one.

edit: lol the modem is $100. Sell that sucker

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 28, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

how the gently caress is this legal? it comes packed with 100s of Nintendo games from GBA and SNES.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

So did Mario, Luigi, and Wario all go to the same medical school?

Is Wario's doctorate even real?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

So did Mario, Luigi, and Wario all go to the same medical school?

Is Wario's doctorate even real?

Luigi actually has a PhD in Etruscan Art, so I wouldn't trust him with your medical problems.

Wario has an online degree from Rump University
boof!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rosalina's personality is that shes a nice mom with cool style and a comfy nightgown. And shes god.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

how the gently caress is this legal? it comes packed with 100s of Nintendo games from GBA and SNES.

I assumed it came with no games, but it claims to have 30 games built in and they were actual titles. You will need to load ROMs to play most of the games. Which they link to a website with ROMs to download. They make it sound like they own the ROM site but it's a completely different URL. Shady af company avoid.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hey, it is completely possible that those are all third-party games that they licensed from the original publishers without needing any permission from Nintendo.

I have one and they absolutely did not, but it's conceivable that they could have.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend a good starter guide to someone totally new to Monster Hunter and bought MHGU? I'm doing the tutorial missions and stuff but still find myself a little overwhelmed and all the videos on youtube I've found are really specific (like how to do this one specific thing). Looking just for a general guide for noobs (doesn't have to be on youtube or a video guide)

I recommend sticking on the tutorial missions. They're a slog, but they teach you the very basics and read EVERYTHING they tell you to read. After that try a few weapon tutorial missions and I recommend Gaijin Hunter's youtube weapon guides for MHGU as he focuses on everything about the weapon and all the styles which can get overwhelming. I recommend watching the video while trying a simple hunt, then watching it again after you get a feel for the weapon yourself to remember some of the tips given (because you won't catch them all when not knowing the weapon yet)

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

pixaal posted:

Find a weapon you lick and stick with that weapon type. Kill monsters and make better weapons of the same type. Each weapon has it's own completely unique play style. In most of the games the first few missions are going to be gathering missions but you should soon take off into hunt missions where you have a single objective kill or capture a specific monster (it's probably going to be the only boss, but there may be others roaming that you don't need to kill).

First thing you probably want is to craft yourself some armor, the bonuses are really nice and that is what you will mostly want. While you are still getting used to the controls for your weapon you are going to want high defense so you can take some hits.

You want multiple weapons so you can hit elemental weaknesses (same type, though you could go with a fire sword and an ice gun lance no problem, it's just more learning curve so start out easy). You may want to actually look up the elemental weaknesses of each boss monster on a wiki they aren't always obvious.

You will be killing each boss monster multiple times, and probably in different environments. After awhile you will unlock hi-rank, this is a completely new set of armor, you will want to spend some time gathering to increase the defense. As this is an expansion game you will also have access to G-rank after Hi-Rank which is even more crazy fun stuff.

Attacking is going to feel unresponsive / clunky at first for many weapons, especially the big rear end ones. There are few if any frames you can cancel an attack on, so you are basically committed to the swing I mean look at the size of that weapon you are swinging it think about how much momentum it has. You can't easily side step. If the Twin Daggers (Deamon blades?) are in that version they are can be good for just weaving in and out if that's your play style.

Try out all the weapons, you should start with a starter set for each.

edit: what you want is to open a wiki open the page for a monster before you start a mission to hunt it, and match your weapon's element to it's weakness, if you don't have one you might want to look into building one. Don't get too into building weapons before hi-rank as the power level gap between normal hi and G are all very large.

The only thing I'd add here is that once you find a weapon you like, try out the different styles and read the hunter's manual or w/e for the abilities on it. Every weapon plays very differently even from itself if you go through all the styles, so it's like there are 84 weapons (not counting prowler)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pixaal posted:

Find a weapon you lick and stick

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Insect Glaive is Life

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Insect Glaive is Life

Except throwing the bug is a pain in the rear end.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, not getting the attack boost means you are terrible. However, being in the air constantly dodges a lot of attacks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

She's got a cool design and hairstyle you philistine

I feel like I've seen her hair before. It feels like a popular design for animated characters generally speaking, far from original.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, not getting the attack boost means you are terrible. However, being in the air constantly dodges a lot of attacks.

As long as you aren't the one to get that third cart, you didn't cause the group to fail!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They better add this in. I’d take this outfit over new course DLC.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is what happens when Toadette puts on the Super Moustache

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

They better add this in. I’d take this outfit over new course DLC.

Seriously, it's so drat cute!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

:ssh: no narcs

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I feel like I've seen her hair before. It feels like a popular design for animated characters generally speaking, far from original.

mario is just bootleg popeye

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

So apparently this is an upcoming E-shop game. It looks more like the start of a Tim and Eric skit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ikaruga is on sale for :10bux: , you should all buy it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Almost enough points to just get it for free here. What else do I buy blyat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You have to really be interested in the very specific, almost rhythm game, structure Ikaruga uses. It's a pretty game but at its base the entire thing is just stuff done in multiples of three and stringing together multiples of three and lots of brute memorization.

• Locked thread