Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That portable phone is the most GI JOE piece of equipment the OSI has ever slapped their logo on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I just realized : we have a nod to Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean, the testicular torsion episode, in an episode in which Dean's balls get out of control again. How fitting!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

awwww thats heartbreaking. and also very loving weird.

"Did that rear end in a top hat just call me Malcolm?"

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Doc and Billy coming out of the time machine together means they'll keep going on adventures together. Further fodder for the Billy is yet another Venture kid theory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy gently caress Theodore Roosevelt's presidential time machine! They said in the book they wanted to do something else with it. I hope we get to see what Doc and Billy do to get there at some point. Otherwise that's kind of lame.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Holy gently caress Theodore Roosevelt's presidential time machine! They said in the book they wanted to do something else with it. I hope we get to see what Doc and Billy do to get there at some point. Otherwise that's kind of lame.

Grover Cleveland's presidential time machine, you mean. Teddy's looks totally different.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh yeah, sorry.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
So can we assume that The Monarch gave the Guild the teleportation tech and that Dr. Mrs. joined the council? I can't see why else the Guild would turn to The Monarch otherwise to take care of this mission unless he was seen as a villain on the rise/rebound. If we assume he was given a full increase from the heist and now another from this, would that make him Level 8?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Urbaniak was in the running to play Dwight on the Office, which is why he ended up playing his weird friend in a few episodes. (Imagine if that had gone the other way.) He’s gets a steady steam of guest roles but never seems to quite break through.

my favorite role of his is from the brilliant Review with Forrest MacNeil

it's so good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
really hope next week's episode shows what happened to result in Dean and Sirena sleeping together

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Well, my hemming and hawing about how Dean would interpret the kiss was proved super-far off the mark, I'd say.

At first, this seemed pretty far out-of-character for Dean. He's always been pretty squeamish around the ladies, unable to handle his post-pubescent urges in any way other than how a little boy starts acting once he starts to notice that girls make him feel funny "down there." But then again, he's been pretty far out from his character since he told the Outrider to go gently caress himself. Over the history of the show, there have been two distinct Deans. Dean Mk. II has broody and moody, but he also comes off as more mature. He is moving forward in his life as best he can.

Hank, on the other hand, thinks the ideal date includes various set-ups where he gets to act like the hero, so he can impress his girl. He is a slightly older version of the same old Hank. Sirena could barely get Hank's shirt off when he was in her room; he's only ever had sex when he was in-character as a 1940s film noir private eye, and that was with a pretty aggressive woman. Dean, on the other hand, is moving into adulthood after a protracted adolescence. He and Sinena have a little more in common in that regard.

So... I guess that Dr. Mrs. the Monarch chose to give up being a supervillain so she could stay on the council? I'm 99% sure she did, but sometimes this season feels like it's airing out-of-order. Or, maybe I'm just so used to shows like this being serialized that not having a distinct resolution of the previous episode's threads every single week is making me feel this way. And where are the teleporters?

They better answer these questions in the finale. If they don't, then... I'll wait for next season, I guess....

Also... is there any chance that what Hank saw was a hallucination?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

God-damned player streams at 7mb/s while the adverts are played and crawls to a stop when the actual show plays. Nothing is different on my end from when I've watched before - using Edge, turned the built-in adblocker off my VPN, etc.

Also - leave Vatred alone, Brock!

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Pasketti!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

hahaha nice to have my thought that that was James Adomian almost doing his Jesse Ventura confirmed

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Also... is there any chance that what Hank saw was a hallucination?

Maybe? Dream sequences have been a thing in episode 4, 5, 6 and 7, but there was none in episode 8 and I felt this was because the one in episode 7 (the whole VR thing with Rusty) was the peak of that particular running gag.

Of course, Hank hallucinating because of his concussion would make total sense, so there is that. Although one wonders why he would dream of Murder Bear... maybe Dean told him about the scary guy he once met in New York?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Scare Bear is Jared's evil alter ego. We already know he likes to wear mascot-like costumes, and there was a noticeable 'stain' on the back of SB's outfit that matches up with Jared's spinneret. It would also explain why he knew exactly where to take Hank.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Scare Bear is Jared's evil alter ego. We already know he likes to wear mascot-like costumes, and there was a noticeable 'stain' on the back of SB's outfit that matches up with Jared's spinneret. It would also explain why he knew exactly where to take Hank.

this.... is actually plausible. but i feel like since doc is doing most of the writing he doesn’t really care about wrapping stuff up. he tends to do slice of life stuff and never picks up loose ends

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I highly doubt it was, but I really want Dean and Sirena to have been a hallucination. I thought Hank and her were really cute together, and it was kind of nice letting Hank have something nice.

Also; was it me or did Rusty's conversation with whoever he spoke to at the OSI imply he still thought the VR sim was real? In which case the line last episode about not getting any action since prom night is a continuity error after all.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TK-42-1 posted:

but i feel like since doc is doing most of the writing
while this specific ep was in fact a Doc ep, season 7's been pretty evenly split between the two writing wise. If the season finale is a Jackson ep then it would be exactly 50/50

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
obvious answer: Hank, Dean, and Sirena become a different kind of Triad

go Team Venture!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Hank received a head injury while playing pretend football. I just realized how much meaning there is behind that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

this.... is actually plausible. but i feel like since doc is doing most of the writing he doesn’t really care about wrapping stuff up. he tends to do slice of life stuff and never picks up loose ends

I mean, the only other person I could imagine Scare Bear being is Hatred, but he'd fill out the costume ~way~ more. He's a husky boy, remember.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I mean, the only other person I could imagine Scare Bear being is Hatred, but he'd fill out the costume ~way~ more. He's a husky boy, remember.

Isn't that impossible? It's been quite some time since I saw Season 4 in particular, but between the bear's first appearance and some of his cameos between then and now, I'm pretty sure we've seen Scare Bear out and about when that other person's location was a known quantity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, to be fair, we've never actually seen or heard of Scare Bear actually killing anyone. He's just *scary*.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I know. What I mean is that it would require that person you mentioned being in two places at once, or teleporting halfway across the country and back in the course of a day.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

X_Toad posted:

Hank received a head injury while playing pretend football. I just realized how much meaning there is behind that.

I feel like there was a scene missing where they explained why he's suddenly not looking for Seriena but instead playing pretend football. What sorts of extra meaning is behind this tho?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The World Inferno posted:

I feel like there was a scene missing where they explained why he's suddenly not looking for Seriena but instead playing pretend football. What sorts of extra meaning is behind this tho?

Hank is ADHD as all hell, it didn't seem to need explanation

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

"Definitely got ADD though". That was in episode 3 of this season. The boy has a very short attention span. Once he got out of the boring building and into the fun zone that is a frozen wasteland, his mind went places.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I mean yeah, but he seemed pretty mission driven up to that point. :shrug:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Doc was surprisingly competent this episode. No mishaps, no personal traumas, and a smart and practical, if a bit disgusting, solution.

He's actually becoming the super scientist he was always "supposed" to be. Go figure the benefits a massive windfall can net you.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
There are too many comments to quote without being obnoxious. And I love being obnoxious, but not that obnoxious.

On the hallucination: I also hope it's a hallucination. They are clearly developing some of the characters more this season, in particular Dr. Mrs. the Monarch, but they've been tinkering with Dean on-and-off since the end of Season 4 and the start of Season 5. I like that Dean is doing grown up stuff now, but I'm not a big fan of him doing this kind of grown-up stuff with his brother's girlfriend. It's a dick move. Of course, several episodes ago, I was sure that Dean and Sirena would be nothing but casual buddies, so maybe it's just me not wanting to be wrong. It humanizes him, I guess. At least he's not being a creepster and/or a stalker. Or, worse, the shoulder-to-cry-on, waiting-in-the-wings douchebag.

... now, all that said, what makes me think it's not a hallucination is the fact that when Hank passed out, the scene still showed the two of them in bed together. That's a very cheap way to do a fake-out hallucination gag, because it provides post-consciousness elements that indicate that the event really happened. If it were a hallucination, a more fair (to the audience) way to do it is to show Hank fainting, but nothing else. A close-up on him that follows to the floor. So I hope it's a hallucination, but I doubt it is.

On Scare Bear: I, too, wondered if it were Jared. It would be plausible: Jared is Sirena's ex, and even if he has accepted the fact that he's not going to be with her again, he might still be the kind of rear end in a top hat who finds a way to expose Dean and Sirena's affair to her boyfriend Hank. What makes me doubt that it's Jared: Jared would have had to have planned an awful lot just in order to meet Hank in the park; he'd have to know where he'd be, know when he'd be there, put on the alternate costume, and incapacitate Hank in a way that didn't expose his spider powers. That doesn't seem plausible. Jared might have motive--might--but I don't see how he really could have the opportunity.

On Rusty thinking the VR sim was real: I didn't get that impression from his side of the conversation. I'm pretty sure he knows it was a simulation because of the conversation he had at the start of The Terminus Mandate, and I didn't hear anything here to make be believe otherwise. Now, of course, I do feel sometimes like these episodes are being aired out-of-order, on account of various threads that are dropped at the end of one episode and not addressed at all in the next one. (And that being said, we do have another episode left, so maybe it'll all come together in the end.) So, maybe it's a continuity error only because of the episode order?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
going to go ahead and get it out of the way: Scare Bear is Killinger / the Sovereign / the boys' mom / Manolo / I'm sure I'm missing somebody

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I mean yeah, but he seemed pretty mission driven up to that point. :shrug:

yep! that's ADHD!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

tarlibone posted:

On Rusty thinking the VR sim was real: I didn't get that impression from his side of the conversation. I'm pretty sure he knows it was a simulation because of the conversation he had at the start of The Terminus Mandate, and I didn't hear anything here to make be believe otherwise. Now, of course, I do feel sometimes like these episodes are being aired out-of-order, on account of various threads that are dropped at the end of one episode and not addressed at all in the next one. (And that being said, we do have another episode left, so maybe it'll all come together in the end.) So, maybe it's a continuity error only because of the episode order?

Last episode absolutely could not have been out of order because of the ponytail cutting scene with Gary.
And unless I misheard or am grossly misremembering, Rusty told the OSI something to the effect of 'that part of me lacks the will' or something. Basically I could have sworn he said something implying he wasn't down for sex. Like I figured he thought the call was not from the OSI but rather the Illuminati and they were offering him his standard 'payment' and he refused.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lunatic Sledge posted:

obvious answer: Hank, Dean, and Sirena become a different kind of Triad

go Team Venture!

people over on /co/ have been making jokes of that sort since we first had Dean and Sirena interact, often with Mecha Shiva jokes as well

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Clearly Scare Bear is a sort of egregore of subtle terror, who silently wanders New York exposing people to the horrors of their lives.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

tarlibone posted:

There are too many comments to quote without being obnoxious. And I love being obnoxious, but not that obnoxious.

On the hallucination: I also hope it's a hallucination. They are clearly developing some of the characters more this season, in particular Dr. Mrs. the Monarch, but they've been tinkering with Dean on-and-off since the end of Season 4 and the start of Season 5. I like that Dean is doing grown up stuff now, but I'm not a big fan of him doing this kind of grown-up stuff with his brother's girlfriend. It's a dick move. Of course, several episodes ago, I was sure that Dean and Sirena would be nothing but casual buddies, so maybe it's just me not wanting to be wrong. It humanizes him, I guess. At least he's not being a creepster and/or a stalker. Or, worse, the shoulder-to-cry-on, waiting-in-the-wings douchebag.

... now, all that said, what makes me think it's not a hallucination is the fact that when Hank passed out, the scene still showed the two of them in bed together. That's a very cheap way to do a fake-out hallucination gag, because it provides post-consciousness elements that indicate that the event really happened. If it were a hallucination, a more fair (to the audience) way to do it is to show Hank fainting, but nothing else. A close-up on him that follows to the floor. So I hope it's a hallucination, but I doubt it is.

On Scare Bear: I, too, wondered if it were Jared. It would be plausible: Jared is Sirena's ex, and even if he has accepted the fact that he's not going to be with her again, he might still be the kind of rear end in a top hat who finds a way to expose Dean and Sirena's affair to her boyfriend Hank. What makes me doubt that it's Jared: Jared would have had to have planned an awful lot just in order to meet Hank in the park; he'd have to know where he'd be, know when he'd be there, put on the alternate costume, and incapacitate Hank in a way that didn't expose his spider powers. That doesn't seem plausible. Jared might have motive--might--but I don't see how he really could have the opportunity.

I'd honestly assume Scare Bear finding Hank was just "happy" coincidence. Assuming it is Jared, he could've just been out killing, probably because Dean and Sirena were loving, and changed his plans when he found Hank.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ironslave posted:

Clearly Scare Bear is a sort of egregore of subtle terror, who silently wanders New York exposing people to the horrors of their lives.

according to wiki, Scare Bear was inspired by Jackson Publick coming across this art piece while looking for pictures of bear costumes: http://www.artnet.com/artists/mark-wallinger/sleeper-pvnaFFBhsFpFFm4whZMhmA2

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

I'd honestly assume Scare Bear finding Hank was just "happy" coincidence. Assuming it is Jared, he could've just been out killing, probably because Dean and Sirena were loving, and changed his plans when he found Hank.

I was thinking about this, and the more I ponder Scare Bear's role in this episode, the more I think it's Jared. Jared could have been out and about as Scare Bear. Maybe he does that to spy on potential enemies, or maybe he's good guy and a bad guy, and has a separate costume for each of his extracurricular activities. Either way, he might have been out and about, and he just so happens to find Hank. Good Jared kicks in and he decides to save him, but Bad Jared decides to mess with Sirena. If he knew that Dean and Sirena had been fooling around (and it's reasonable to assume that he would), he might have seen it as the perfect opportunity to throw a wrench into Sirena's happiness.

What I keep coming back to is this: how in the hell else would Scare Bear know where Dean was? I mean, yeah, a deep cover supervillain might know that, but it's less contrived if it's Jared. I'm talking myself into it as I type this. It's probably Jared. Also, typing that name so much is making me think of that kid porn aficionado who used to hawk Subway sammiches. Ewwww.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Last episode absolutely could not have been out of order because of the ponytail cutting scene with Gary.
And unless I misheard or am grossly misremembering, Rusty told the OSI something to the effect of 'that part of me lacks the will' or something. Basically I could have sworn he said something implying he wasn't down for sex. Like I figured he thought the call was not from the OSI but rather the Illuminati and they were offering him his standard 'payment' and he refused.

I don't think so. The phone is clearly emblazoned with the OSI logo, for one thing. For another, here's the transcript of his side of the conversation:

"Yes... Of course, sir... Uhm, I'm not exactly up and ready in that capacity... And I'm flattered, but can't you send Captain Whoever to deal with it?... Well, you can count on Team Venture!"

So, unless the OSI was calling Doc to send him on a mission to have sex with a woman (or a bunch of them), then I'm guessing "up and ready" is referring to his ability to go out with a team and take care of villainy in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I don't like the ending right now, I hope the next episode deals with how it happened. I think this could lead into the boys arching each other, which could be good.