Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Chalks posted:

The core mechanic is using a network of systems to obtain some sort of resource. Trade is just one way of justifying the mechanic but there are plenty of ways gestalts could do the same.

Agreed. Maybe give them a penalty to trade income to represent the lack of consumerist demand, but you can still call a trade route an "overstock pipeline" or something and have it represent surplus resources that are being routed to areas of higher demand, and the {{resources}} you recieve from it are requisitioning efficiencies or somesuch nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ChickenWing posted:

Agreed. Maybe give them a penalty to trade income to represent the lack of consumerist demand, but you can still call a trade route an "overstock pipeline" or something and have it represent surplus resources that are being routed to areas of higher demand, and the {{resources}} you recieve from it are requisitioning efficiencies or somesuch nonsense.
I'd prefer them distinct. At minimum I'd prefer if they pulled from and generated different resources to standard empires, like relays and science for robots and attention lobes and a flat resource boost for organic hive minds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rather than producing resources, you could perhaps use the gestalt connectivity idea to generate a particular resource which is spent on specific buildings, edicts etc, which represent a focus of the gestalt's attention on an area.

So, say, a really powerful starbase module which adds extra sensor range, combat buffs etc. Command ship modules which require upkeep of that resource but which provide fleetwide buffs. Supercharging planets to get them to develop faster etc. For hives you could perhaps have them be able to project psychic horribleness from their planets or stations by spending their brainpower reserves, which causes unrest in enemy population centres, given that we now have precedent (and presumably visualization) for the idea that stations can project effects over multiple systems. Hell you could even have specific weapons or armies that require it in upkeep so you can have ships and armies that literally shoot brainwaves at the enemy, or electronic warfare weapons for robots.

There's a bunch of cool stuff you could come up with based on the idea that you're dealing with an incredibly powerful single intelligence that spans across entire sections of the galaxy, if such a thing were to focus its attention on a place. Especially as one type is literally psychic and the other is based on incredibly advanced electronic communications.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 28, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Splicer posted:

I'd prefer them distinct. At minimum I'd prefer if they pulled from and generated different resources to standard empires, like relays and science for robots and attention lobes and a flat resource boost for organic hive minds.

I love the idea that cutting off and isolating a large part of a gestalt empire would impact their ability to function more than it would a normal empire. It would seem very odd to have a system for networks and then have the empires that are literal network of beings not use it at all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chalks posted:

I love the idea that cutting off and isolating a large part of a gestalt empire would impact their ability to function more than it would a normal empire. It would seem very odd to have a system for networks and then have the empires that are literal network of beings not use it at all.
That would be a neat twist, the further you are from a trade route the higher your odds of pirates. Anything adjacent to a connected node station is pretty solidly locked down, but the further you get from them the more likely you are to get rogue drones and the like.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Maybe gestalts could have some sort of hive mind effect where in place of trade, large concentrations of pops generate a psychic/wireless field that could stretch to cover several lightyears away and provide bonuses to resource gathering/fleets in that area. It would create an incentive for gestalts to establish their empires as clusters around population centers, rather than one large empire that tapers off in efficiency toward the fringes.

Flavorwise, I think gestalts would fare much better when isolated from the capital, as cooperation is inherent to their nature rather than something that has to be enforced or incentivized top-down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Flavorwise, I think gestalts would fare much better when isolated from the capital, as cooperation is inherent to their nature rather than something that has to be enforced or incentivized top-down.

I would have suggested entirely the opposite, personally, because normal empires are already separated to a degree, the whole point of gestalts is that they are constantly connected to the whole.

It's like the borg, they go nuts if they're not constantly plugged into the hive. Think of them more like an ant colony than cooperative humans.

To be honest I'd kinda suggest that if gestalts can't get a connection bridge to the capital, their colonies should really suffer for it. For humans that means they can't trade, for gestalts it means your terminal can't connect to the mainframe.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 28, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

We're trying to move away from gestalts just having reskinned versions of everyone else's mechanics. We're going to focus more on giving them their own unique mechanics instead.

What mechanics would replace the trade route? I get the desire to keep things distinct and unique, but it also feels like there are a lot of core mechanics that gestalts simply miss out on. The proposed situation where gestalt empires deal with 2.1 style pirates is a good example. Being different for the sake of being different isn't always good.

Is your plan to give gestalts a more comprehensive overhaul in the future?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The networks sort of make thematic sense for a gestalt, but gestalts are already psychically connected and everpresent through the shroud. It's not like you're physically or metaphysically growing nerves or conduits to other worlds.

Off the cuff brainstorm: Sectors could have Connectivity ratings; presence of colonized worlds, certain structures/starbase buildings, and adjacent Connected sectors improve Connectivity; Connectivity provides bonuses to all aspects of a gestalt.

ps, mole person corpse caves are everything i ever wanted <3

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 28, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Bit late on this but...

Truga posted:

:staredog: jesus christ this hits incredibly close to home, make one for minerals too and it's, uh, :nms:"perfect":nms:

...it's funny how I really don't expecting anything even remotely related to a country such as mine, when I think of a far-future sci-fi setting like that of Stellaris and then :stonk:...I get reminded of the old: "Sci-fi shouldn't just predict the future, but also prevent it" axiom.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Chalks posted:

Ooh, I like the implications of this. The trade network system seems like a good way to represent the network aspect of gestalts.

You don't even need it to give bonus resources, you could even have it be a system that works like rogue servitor happiness where you need a good network for full efficiency and a compromised network gives across the board penalties.

Wiz, to address your goal of making gestalts different: that's great to hear! This game has gotten better and better the more different ways to play you've added. That said... we're all excited about gestalts "trade networks" not because we want to reskin a system for the sake of having the system- it's exciting because the system itself seems very suited to simulating aspects of gestalts. Obviously not civilian trade, but some form of gestalt consciousness itself. Might be worth considering from that angle.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Wouldn't Rogue Servitors want these consumer goods to keep their biotrophies happy?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I tried something new - for me that is - yesterday: I started a game as a Determined Exterminator on a large map with maxed out numbers of AI. I lost real loving hard, only the 2nd time I decided that I just straight up lost and quit. I was immediately hemmed in on all sides. Decided who my first target was, but they joined a defensive pact with another neighbor and when I declared war I could easily take each one individually, but I was losing too much space to the other and I ended up just ping-ponging back and forth between them trying to maintain the status quo.

I waited, built back up and declared war again, but this time my initial target had upgraded all of his stations to the next level and I couldn't hang, so I switched targets to the other ally who had lovely stations and was able to take him out pretty easily.

But as I was consolidating my gains my 3rd neighbor declared war and wiped my fleet out with ease. I had so little space I decided to throw in the towel.

Lesson learned - kill the guy that isn't in a defensive pact first.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You waited too long to declare war. They can't join a pact if they're at war.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ConfusedUs posted:

You waited too long to declare war. They can't join a pact if they're at war.

That was part of it too, but just as I thought I was ready they joined the pact. I'm... not very good at building early militaries. Overall I made some real bad choices.

It was still cool that it was really challenging. I look forward to trying that again soon.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
First rule of Exterminators/Assimilators: Find your nearest neighbor and kill them immediately. The resources from absorbing another empire early on will give you the boost you need to avoid getting crushed once everybody else cottons on to your existence. Take too long and your neighbors will all make defensive pacts and then they're total pain in the rear end.

Also, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring of "Don't give gestalts trade routes", because that seems like one of the fiddly systems that I play gestalt specifically to get away from.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Also, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring of "Don't give gestalts trade routes", because that seems like one of the fiddly systems that I play gestalt specifically to get away from.

It would be great if hives/machines/whatever comes with the DLC get wildly different mechanics for internal management. They don't have to be reskinned trade routes

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I could see Servitors having trade routes. But yeah maybe not needed for assimilators and similar.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They should have international trade only maybe?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I just did a whole bunch of debugging just to find out that apparently the followup for the ancient hulk event can't fire for either machine intellgience or gestalt consciousness for no apparent reason. And the game decides not to tell you this unless you try firing the event through console.

Punished for just playing with machine friends :(

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Hives are punished in general. Worse general results from events, and all their stuff is Devouring Swarm flavoured when it isn't renamed normal empire.

Machines at least have flavour that is their own and can be killing or non killing. Their strength is meant to be their growth, but they also lack the production bonus of happiness. They lack Influence, despite receiving +1 over the baseline. Adaptation tree is worthwhile, but you can't call it 'their own'.

They're in a weird place. I think they'll continue to be even after.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I wish there were an option to play a species who just happened to be robots but were otherwise normal pops. I suppose this could get imbalanced because having benefits from happiness as well as being able to blitz an entire planet full would be a factor, but will that be an issue with Le Guin?

This would of course be a trait, like Post-Apocalyptic and so on, but this would basically be to engage in the flavor/the buildable pop style while retaining individualistic behavior. Let us be the Androsynth or a buncha runaway Asimovbots. Or the weird anime robot people.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Nessus posted:

Let us be the Androsynth or a buncha runaway Asimovbots. Or the weird anime robot people.

Androsynth are so silly. We do not *tell stories* a lot about them. No more Androsynth *stories*.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Androsynth aren't robots. They're human clones.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Rynoto posted:

I just did a whole bunch of debugging just to find out that apparently the followup for the ancient hulk event can't fire for either machine intellgience or gestalt consciousness for no apparent reason. And the game decides not to tell you this unless you try firing the event through console.

Punished for just playing with machine friends :(

What's the event id?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Epicurius posted:

The Androsynth aren't robots. They're human clones.

We don't talk about the Androsynth

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there should really be an orz/arilou category of regular/fallen empire. super-dimensional beings who might want to uplift you, might want to eat you. and they don't make any sense when you try to discern their motives.

Zane fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 29, 2018

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Standard "talking with another empire" screen:

Message is "Do you want to see our surprising *toys*?".

Response choices are "No!!" and "Do not!!".

Zane posted:

there should really be an orz/arilou category of regular/fallen empire. super-dimensional beings who might want to uplift you, might want to eat you. and they don't make any sense when you try to discern their motives.

Almost sounds like a cross between the Shroud entities and the Unbidden.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darkrenown posted:

What's the event id?

distar.1000 , it's the Vechtar Zavonia chain.

What's happening is that the debris_gasgiant_category_temp anomaly ("Ancient Hulk) leads directly to distar.1000 and the Mardak Vol, but Machine Intelligence and Gestalts are entirely locked out of that chain. So for them, the anomaly resolves in a poof of tears and bitter recriminations, with no further comment.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yep, that's the exact one.

It ends the anomaly without a popup or anything if you're one of those two it can't fire for.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 29, 2018

Nephila
Aug 19, 2005

Crawling up your leg as you read this.
Hey Wiz I got one question about the really lovely naval patrol system you detailed some.

Right now there is fairly big cost to undock fleets from starbases that have maintenance and cost reductions, something that may outweigh the return you may get from using a sufficiently sized fleet to secure the more valuable trade routes. Obviously exact numbers are easily likely to change by the time Le Guin comes out, but are you all considering fiddling with the involved costs or benefits to ensure it is worth it to patrol and not just leave stuff unguarded in the end. This may not even be an issue at all with how numbers turn out anyway but was curious on the non-specifics of it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I could see the lowered fleet upkeep being changed to apply whenever the fleet was merely inside your own borders, though it would take some reworking of the fleet upkeep modules.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Add the same range effect as the trade hub, fleets are cheap whenever they're within x jumps of a berthing station. Or make fleets retain any cost deductions from their home base when they're on patrol, so you end up setting up dedicated patrol bases.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Zane posted:

Yea, the Orz would be the Unbidden/end of the cycle. It's an extradimensional being that's trying to find a way into the universe to devour it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This game finally have enough content to be worth playing?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Arglebargle III posted:

I enjoy it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I've played this poo poo out of this game the past year after being super disappointed by it at release. It's real good.

That said if you're trying to get back into it it might be worth holding off until the next big release. So much going to change that many people in this thread are just putting the game down and are waiting patiently.

Come back in ~6 months if this matters to you.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arglebargle III posted:

no

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arglebargle III posted:

/me looks at time played
/me sees over 400 hours

The only thing I regret is there isn't enough content for another 400 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Arglebargle III posted:

It's got more content than Star Citizen.

Serious answer, there's enough content that I keep making new empires, I've only seen an endgame crisis once (Unless you count the Space Clowns :iit: ), and I still don't mind the early game at all.

I'm at 500 hours and I've started getting into the "Mod it to the gills" stage of Paradox gameplay. I keep telling myself it's just until LeGuin comes out, then I'll go back to vanilla. I'm not sure I could really enjoy the game without my strike craft destroyers and ancient precursor planets, though.