Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is the "bad" naturo animation i was talking about a few pages back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp9wBqIUQ7g

the reeling back for the punch looks cool (around 1:30) and they all complain about it.

This is reminding me of the 11.5 DLC for Asura's Wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

This is reminding me of the 11.5 DLC for Asura's Wrath.

Asura's Wrath was made by the same studio behind all the Naruto video games (CyberConnect2), so I'm not surprised there'd be some bleedover. Asura's Wrath wanted to be a shonen anime sooooo loving hard. And I've been... subjected to a Nartuto game or two in my time and I will say this about them, they are stylish as gently caress at the very least.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Some of the Naruto games are legit Fun & Cool even if you're not a fan of the show. The last one I played I was drawing blanks on like half the cast but it was still really entertaining.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Hard to say much considering the paucity of genuinely anachist organised societies for a long period of time.

Uh no? There have been plenty of them in the 20th century and some still around today. They aren't all the same, but none of them have or had those.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My friends and I really got into those PS2 Naruto fighter games. He imported them for his PS2 and we played them a whole bunch. Good times.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Good Bad or Bad Bad looks at Vibrations, a heartfelt tale of an aspiring rock star losing his hands in a tragic accident and overcoming adversity by becoming a robot DJ.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I signed up for Nyx Fear's Pateron in order to watch her new video on why she loves Holloween and it's good. Nyx obviously had a lot of fun with lighting and costumes.

I wish I could pull off the witch look as good as she does though :smith:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Baka-nin posted:

Uh no? There have been plenty of them in the 20th century and some still around today. They aren't all the same, but none of them have or had those.

The problem I have is that the best examples are things like the anarchist societies that only existed for a few years in the midst of major civil wars or periods of instability in places like Russia, China, Spain and Syria (for the moment) before being quashed, and it's hard to get a consensus on how much some of these societies were truly anarchist. Compared to something like Marxist-Leninism which at least has very long periods of application. It just makes me a bit skeptical of how much you can say one way or the other about Anarchism, and also about it's ability to survive against hostile ideologies.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

So I signed up for Nyx Fear's Pateron in order to watch her new video on why she loves Holloween and it's good. Nyx obviously had a lot of fun with lighting and costumes.

I wish I could pull off the witch look as good as she does though :smith:

She's been super excited on twitter about it and I can't wait to see it!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Puppy Time posted:

She's been super excited on twitter about it and I can't wait to see it!

yea Nyx's twitter is fantastic, just 90% her being giddy about things.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

yea Nyx's twitter is fantastic, just 90% her being giddy about things.

Also fashion selfies. A+

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jimbot posted:

Biggest problem with Korra is that they tried to do 13 episodes but didn't have the writing chops or weren't used to the format to adapt for it.

I thought the problem was that they were planning to do the first season arc over a longer period, but Nick forced them to keep it to one season, and that the second season suffered for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Valmsq_Ku90

mandaloregaming did a review on Arx Fatalis.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

khwarezm posted:

The problem I have is that the best examples are things like the anarchist societies that only existed for a few years in the midst of major civil wars or periods of instability in places like Russia, China, Spain and Syria (for the moment) before being quashed, and it's hard to get a consensus on how much some of these societies were truly anarchist. Compared to something like Marxist-Leninism which at least has very long periods of application. It just makes me a bit skeptical of how much you can say one way or the other about Anarchism, and also about it's ability to survive against hostile ideologies.

Ok a few things here, you keep using the term society and keep referring to large scale examples on the scale of nations. There are plenty of smaller anarchistic communities in Italy, Mexico and Greece to name just a few, some of which date back decades.

Your also forgetting the communities in Zomia which is about the size of Europe, some of whom are very egalitarian and appear in historical records dating back centuries and they've resisted being made subjects to multiple kingdoms, empires and nations over that time.

Your last part has nothing to do with this discussion either. The issue was the claim that Totalitarianism comes from within anarchist communities not from without. Something that so far in world history has never happened. Its always came out of a pre-existing state structure of some kind.

So I still think we can safely say the 2hr long video essay about a cartoon has wonky political arguments.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean in fairness Korra wasn't exactly depicting realistic anarchists either. It was depicting a man with super powers murdering anyone who wanted to have laws that he came across, because Korra wasn't especially good.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Even if Zaheer and the Red Lotus' ideology was muddy (I mean, expecting a show for preteens to explain the different branches of anarchy is a bit much), Zaheer was absolutely correct in toppling the Earth Kingdom's absolute monarchy along with the Dai Li.

Also, Nickelodeon showing an old woman getting suffocated to death was surprisingly brutal.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean yeah she ticked every box on the "bad last monarch of a dynasty" list except making a lake filled with wine. You'd just think that if you were making a "villain what has a point" for kids you'd probably either pick any easier philosophy to break down the good and bad of (hello potentially interesting equalist plot, goodbye potentially interesting equalist plot) or just you know not have the villain be a genocidal dickhead.

That being said, wow is youtube man whiny about some really dumb things, specifically in Steven Universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

youtube man whiny about some really dumb things

New thread title.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

New thread title.

do ittttt!!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

nine-gear crow posted:

New thread title.

Yes please. :D

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I mean in fairness Korra wasn't exactly depicting realistic anarchists either. It was depicting a man with super powers murdering anyone who wanted to have laws that he came across, because Korra wasn't especially good.

Sounds like the dream of every anarchist I grew up in high school with.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I mean yeah she ticked every box on the "bad last monarch of a dynasty" list except making a lake filled with wine. You'd just think that if you were making a "villain what has a point" for kids you'd probably either pick any easier philosophy to break down the good and bad of (hello potentially interesting equalist plot, goodbye potentially interesting equalist plot) or just you know not have the villain be a genocidal dickhead.

That being said, wow is youtube man whiny about some really dumb things, specifically in Steven Universe.

I don't think they're a man

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Apologies, I just listened to the video as background and made an assumption based on the voice. Didn't look at the user name or identifying info. My bad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

at least avatar's evil anarchists were clearly defined through their actions as western-style lifestyle anarchists, as opposed to korra's anarchists which try to be that and the Real Thing combined and end up with no coherent ideology whatsoever beyond "state bad, kill state immediately"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://twitter.com/Nyxfears/status/1046039427821305858?s=19

:( Why are people dicks.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Huh this is how I learn that I'm somehow not subscribed to nyx. Need to fix that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Jim Sterling is angry about something that isn't loot boxes for once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhJIPot010

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeesh you guys weren't kidding when you said that the rest of the cinemassacre crew beyond Rolfe were terrible. I watched their starship troopers review and I think Rolfe had about three or four lines while everyone else kept getting drowned out by their discount RLM Josh uber-nerd.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like Rolfe's videos where it's just him talking about old horror movies. He just loves them all so much and knows so much about them.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So what's going on with the Escapist, did they finally go tits up or something? Their site's been in flux between dead and barely functional for the better part of a week now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So what's going on with the Escapist, did they finally go tits up or something? Their site's been in flux between dead and barely functional for the better part of a week now.

Apparently the website is getting an overhaul since their parent company decided to restructure it. It has been functionally dead for three or four years beyond Zero Punctuation and its forums, but they announced about a month ago that it would be returning. They apparently hired moviebob back.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

That reboot's gone well then.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I haven't seen an AVGN review in over a decade but his Monster Madness series is one of my favorite things to watch this time of year.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Its either Nintendo or Steam

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 30, 2018

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just go all in and let me wear a Pizza Roll themed robe if I buy the 120 rolls pack.

Like if they make an Assisian's Creed game set in America again one day just, just partner up with KFC and give you the opportunity to blend into a crowd as literally Colonel Sanders. Go all in.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Continuing with his Elder Scrolls review series, LGR covered Oblivion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbLEu1obOeE

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I know most western made games pander heavily to americans but it's pretty sad that the Assassins Creed series by a french company who keeps touting about being made by a diverse set of people and being all about cool stuff in the past keep having you play americans. It wasn't until game 6 that you didn't have to play an american and even now more than half of them have american PCs.
It used to be that a lot of games were made for the local market and possibly translated to English for an international release but nowadays it seems to be made for an american market first, does any other media industry in the west work this way? I can find modern books, movies ,songs and theatre in Swedish but games seems to elude me outside of badly translated subtitles in Saints Row 2 and Uncharted or the occasional indie game with muffled Swedish for barks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pretty sure thats because Americans consume the most video game media. Also Europe seems more stern about video game microtransactions meanwhile in America we're just laissez faire about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apparently the website is getting an overhaul since their parent company decided to restructure it. It has been functionally dead for three or four years beyond Zero Punctuation and its forums, but they announced about a month ago that it would be returning. They apparently hired moviebob back.

why hire him back? his videos are ok but he says a ton of dumb poo poo a ton of times. i guess dumb drama brings clicks.

Hel posted:

I know most western made games pander heavily to americans but it's pretty sad that the Assassins Creed series by a french company who keeps touting about being made by a diverse set of people and being all about cool stuff in the past keep having you play americans. It wasn't until game 6 that you didn't have to play an american and even now more than half of them have american PCs.

what the hell does that even mean? you play as an Americans twice in the series. once as a Native american and once as a french person of color in new Orleans and i guess in rogue but you play an Irishmen . the one is a welshmen in the Caribbean but then you play as a African badass in hati. the rest are either in various parts of Europe or Africa/Levant. none of those are american. if you mean the setting, sure id sorta agree. alot of fans want a assassins creed in asia or more africa.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why hire him back. i guess dumb drama brings clicks.

what the gently caress does that even mean? you play as an Americans twice. once as a Native american and once as a french person of color in new Orleans and i guess in rogue but you play an Irishmen . the one is a welshmen in the Caribbean but then you play as a African badass in hati. the rest are either in various parts of Europe or Africa/Levant. none of those are american.

Except of course during the modern sections where play you either a non-character (Black Flag & Rogue) or one of two americans: Desmond Miles(1-3) or Layla Hassan(Origins). The games still included american PCs even if they weren't the main one.