Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

As a person that has played 2 whole Valkyrie Chronicles, I think 4 is a loving dinosaur that needs some serious quality of life improvements and from the ground up rework on pretty much all systems.
The fun is often hampered by all the bad interface, cinematic, dogs poo poo camera, aiming, story, writing, and zero attempt to fix the Scouts are bullshit problem.
I enjoy it despite all this but jesus I has a pause for all dialog and menu changes that I used to think in Val Chron one was due to loading, now I know its due to intentional stupid stupid choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

BisterdDave posted:

I picked up Dead Cells, and it's pretty fun so far. I'm starting to get tired of the beginning weapons though, so I'm working towards using my cells to purchase the random weapons upgrades. Is there anything else I should be aiming for in order to beef up my weapons at each start? Also, that loving first boss is a really doozy. My best attempt so far only got his health down 50%.

Some of the traps are ridiculously OP, particularly the rapid fire arrow ones. If you get a pair of those plus the cooldown reduction and a bunch of purple stat, everything just melts.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vegastar posted:

Some of the traps are ridiculously OP, particularly the rapid fire arrow ones. If you get a pair of those plus the cooldown reduction and a bunch of purple stat, everything just melts.

I've had the rapid fire arrows, but was dumping all my upgrades into red. Didn't think about upgrading purple in order to make the arrows more OP.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Junkie Disease posted:

The fun is often hampered by all the bad interface, cinematic, dogs poo poo camera, aiming, story, writing

sure does sound like a JRPG

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As a philistine who knows nothing about DBZ except the abridged series, I looked at FighterZ and saw "pay $5 for Goku" and noped out without even looking for a demo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Roadie posted:

As a philistine who knows nothing about DBZ except the abridged series, I looked at FighterZ and saw "pay $5 for Goku" and noped out without even looking for a demo.

It has like ten Gokus, that's just a specific one

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Al Borland Korn posted:

It has like ten Gokus, that's just a specific one

It's still gross in a way that feels way more cash-grabby than even the worst of Paradox games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Roadie posted:

It's still gross in a way that feels way more cash-grabby than even the worst of Paradox games.

It seems lovely but it’s literally a new character with a new moveset. There are 3 Gokus (4 if you count Black) and 3 Vegetas but they each have completely different movesets, supers, voice samples, etc.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 29, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roadie posted:

Its a fighting game, and he has a completely different moveset than the other gokus. Its not a skin.

That said if you dont like fighting games do not buy FighterZ. You will have a bad time, get Xenoverse instead

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bleck posted:

Most JRGs have none of those problems

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barudak posted:

Its a fighting game, and he has a completely different moveset than the other gokus. Its not a skin.

That said if you dont like fighting games do not buy FighterZ. You will have a bad time, get Xenoverse instead

I like fighting games but don't enjoy playing them. Even if I can get good at them I enjoy watching them a lot and don't enjoy playing very much. So sad, cause some of the fighting games just look so cool.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve never played a fighting game that just didn’t feel clunky.

I want to like them but man.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Junkie Disease posted:

As a person that has played 2 whole Valkyrie Chronicles, I think 4 is a loving dinosaur that needs some serious quality of life improvements and from the ground up rework on pretty much all systems.
The fun is often hampered by all the bad interface, cinematic, dogs poo poo camera, aiming, story, writing, and zero attempt to fix the Scouts are bullshit problem.
I enjoy it despite all this but jesus I has a pause for all dialog and menu changes that I used to think in Val Chron one was due to loading, now I know its due to intentional stupid stupid choice.

Yeah i played the demo and said this is fun but why are they still designing ux the same way they did a decade ago?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What fighting games have you played? Arc's games are like melted butter compared to poo poo like tekken

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Roadie posted:

You should try Dragonball Legends on mobile. It's a legit tcg with great fighting mechanics, I actually prefer it to dbzf. It's a gacha, but pretty generous as I have yet to pay anything and have all the best characters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

What fighting games have you played? Arc's games are like melted butter compared to poo poo like tekken

Basically the big ones and Fighterz

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
My Switch backlog is getting dangerously large, so of course I bought Risk of Rain and have been happily re-unlocking all the characters and items :xd:

I hadn't played it in years, but it plays just perfect on Switch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Barudak posted:

How did you enjoy the train mission?

Im glad you got lucky on that tank boss but thats an unacceptable design in a strategy game, and even stupider in one with permadeath

Just did train mission. 5 turns A, first try. Dont know what to tell you.

So both your unacceptable design missions got aced. Feels like they are well designed to lose some people to surprises and still win with no permedeath.

I can get behind the quality of life changes in them cut scenes though. gently caress that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
All games should have free Gokus.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Takoluka posted:

Can you set up 2-player for the game? I haven't thought to try.

If you’re in multiplayer mode when you enter LoZ the second controller will work.
I just don’t have any extra controllers, and the one joycon control mode is obnoxious.

I have not checked whether blowing in the second controller mic is mapped to IR pretending to eat a sandwich yet.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DalaranJ posted:

If you’re in multiplayer mode when you enter LoZ the second controller will work.
I just don’t have any extra controllers, and the one joycon control mode is obnoxious.

I have not checked whether blowing in the second controller mic is mapped to IR pretending to eat a sandwich yet.

Oh poo poo, if that works on the Famicom set, that'd be amazing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Basically the big ones and Fighterz

I mostly Only play anime and namco fighters these days
Dbfz is both of those but oops its really boring imo after the 20-30 hours i played vs options like unist/bbtag/tekken/xrd

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What are you?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tuo posted:

So I finally decided to move on with my gaming backlog and start that Xenoblade thing (I never played it before).

It starts out alright, I understand nothing of the combat, so I basically just sit there and watch and sometimes hit a button. And then, without any warning, there's this huge thing, and now I have like a sword that at is also like an anime girl with anime titties which seem to be the camera focus for every cutscene, and she is also like a ninja and has this cute running thing similar to the Dragon Prince.....

I think I like this game.....(allthough I understand nothing of what just happened)

The number one rule for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is trigger every heart-to-heart you can.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I’ve been out of the loop, is Dead Cells a no brainer if I loved Hollow Knight?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rolo posted:

So I’ve been out of the loop, is Dead Cells a no brainer if I loved Hollow Knight?

Its the next step for rogue legacy gameplay and very little like hk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have they fixed Dead Cells for the Switch yet or is that still due in November?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh I didn’t realize it was a roguelike, probably gonna pass.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Oh I didn’t realize it was a roguelike, probably gonna pass.
Yeah I hate these procedurally generated games pretending to be Metroidvanias. Procedural environments are the cosmic opposite of a good Metroidvania.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Procedural environments are the cosmic opposite of good

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I bought it last night and have had zero issues. What is supposedly broken?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The fps on busy screens

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I hate these procedurally generated games pretending to be Metroidvanias. Procedural environments are the cosmic opposite of a good Metroidvania.

Procedurally generated maps make sense in games like XCOM or Diablo where it's more about navigating and environment and adapting to what the game throws at you. But in a metroidvania you really lose all sense of progression and so unless they have another hook to keep the replay ability going...

So where's the hype for Mega Man 11? That should be good, right?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They put out a band-aid patch not too long ago. You can lock the framerate to 30 fps now in the options.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The last patch improved performance for me in some areas, but otherwise I hear this wasn't the big fix that is still coming

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So where's the hype for Mega Man 11? That should be good, right?

I really wanted to like it but it looks and feels like the NSMB of Mega Man so I'm not exactly hyped.

It's probably fine

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Waffle! posted:

They put out a band-aid patch not too long ago. You can lock the framerate to 30 fps now in the options.

Is locking the framerate to 30fps a noticable improvement throughout, or is it only in rare instances that it helps?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I really wanted to like it but it looks and feels like the NSMB of Mega Man so I'm not exactly hyped.

It's probably fine

better than nothing mighty number nine

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The bullet time (outside of a time stop robot master weapon) is not what i wanted to see in mega man but ill probably still play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bleck posted:

GBS

• Locked thread