Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I'm rewatching Terminator 1 yet again and the new thing I love this time is all the small ironies (There's probably a better word for this?). When Arnold is killing Sarah's roommate and the answering machine message is playing, and it ends with like "this is just a machine, but machines need love too" just as he's brutally killing these innocent people. Then in the night club as Arnold is massacring people with the Uzi the name of the club "Tech Noir" flashes on a sign behind him. And when he's searching for Sarah and Reese in a stolen cop car and he finds them and brings up his shotgun, the camera pans across "To care and to protect" on the side of his car. I love this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were there any really obvious Terminator rip-offs in the late 80s? The only one that occurs to me off the top of my head is Warlock, which is a kind of reverse Terminator that's a fantasy instead of science-fiction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's a youtube channel I follow called Innuendo Studios that does great film, video game and pop culture analysis but has like 1/100th the followers of Nerdwriter or his other contemporaries. Anyway he just put out a whole video series on female action movie archetypes and how Mad Max: Fury Road rejects them. As if you needed any other reason to know why Fury Road is one of the greatest action movies ever made. It's an eight part series of 6-11 minute videos and I'm linking the prologue here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmR8A1a8shk

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were there any really obvious Terminator rip-offs in the late 80s? The only one that occurs to me off the top of my head is Warlock, which is a kind of reverse Terminator that's a fantasy instead of science-fiction.

R.O.T.O.R

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nemesis.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Abraxas.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There were a zillion Terminator ripoffs, but if you mean movies that flat out imitated the plot...well, Shocking Dark is a beat for beat imitation of Aliens that turns into an imitation of Terminator at the end, and Robowar is Predator but with a robot.

For loose ripoffs there's a ton...Cyborg, Cyborg Cop, Cyber Chaser, Alien Chaser, Shadowchaser...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Also Phobe: The Xenophobic Experiments, which rules.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

R.O.T.O.R

Hey, I watch Comet too.

Crash and Burn is the worst Terminator ripoff because it bills itself as a Robot Jox ripoff instead but that part only happens at the very end :argh:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 30, 2018

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Crash and Burn is my poo poo. Love that movie.

edit: Jason Goes To Hell is kinda a Terminator movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYzF1DhKEiQ

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 30, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Surprised nobody has mentioned the most obvious zero-budget Terminator ripoff Future War.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the most obvious zero-budget Terminator ripoff Future War.

Daniel Bernhardt, the only man who sounds more like Jean Claude Van Damme than Van Damme does.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I've always fancied Hardware being set in Terminator's future-universe. Or even Salvation's.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Of course, the beauty of exploitation film is that it's a melange of whatever's popular. So by the end of the 80s you had movies with cyborgs and mutants and psychics, doing "The Most Dangerous Game" in a Mad Max setting.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Of course, the beauty of exploitation film is that it's a melange of whatever's popular. So by the end of the 80s you had movies with cyborgs and mutants and psychics, doing "The Most Dangerous Game" in a Mad Max setting.

I would watch that, if they had a decent budget. I love Mad Max cars and chase-battles. Bring on the spikes!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I would watch that,
Joe D'Amato's Endgame.

quote:

if they had a decent budget.
Uh, about that...

But seriously, the ones I can actually recommend are 2019: After the Fall of New York, Hardware, and Nemesis.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh is this where I get to bring up No Escape with Ray Liotta again? It’s The Great Escape! But with 100% more cannibals!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Oh is this where I get to bring up No Escape with Ray Liotta again? It’s The Great Escape! But with 100% more cannibals!

Extremely underrated movie. I think it would've been reevaluated by now if it weren't so oddly unavailable. It was a regular presence on HBO for like a whole decade.

I watched The Debt Collector over the weekend and it was excellent. Just as good as Accident Man imo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
CYBORG 2: GLASS SHADOW with Jack Palance! Just look at this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

lmao imagine trying to explain to Jack Palance that he’s playing a cyborg.

50/50 chance that conversation somehow ends in a fistfight.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Amazon's descriptions of things are super vague/don't effectively differentiate between versions of a movie. So this movie City on Fire, is any particular version here significantly better or worse than the other? The other two On Fire flicks from Ringo Lam had a ton of different releases with various degrees of stuff cut out of them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_te_2?rh=i%3Advd&pa=B000B4NWPU&field-availability=-1&suppress-ve=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1538443811&lo=dvd

I have a VCR and have no problem getting one of those VHS versions if it comes down to that, but I do want something with English subtitles if possible (or a dub if that's a thing I guess).

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Amazon's descriptions of things are super vague/don't effectively differentiate between versions of a movie. So this movie City on Fire, is any particular version here significantly better or worse than the other? The other two On Fire flicks from Ringo Lam had a ton of different releases with various degrees of stuff cut out of them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_te_2?rh=i%3Advd&pa=B000B4NWPU&field-availability=-1&suppress-ve=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1538443811&lo=dvd

I have a VCR and have no problem getting one of those VHS versions if it comes down to that, but I do want something with English subtitles if possible (or a dub if that's a thing I guess).

Just get the Hong Kong blu-ray. It's region A and has English subs. I wouldn't buy from Amazon though, I usually use dddhouse for imports or maybe check ebay.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FancyMike posted:

Just get the Hong Kong blu-ray. It's region A and has English subs. I wouldn't buy from Amazon though, I usually use dddhouse for imports or maybe check ebay.

Thank you! :hfive:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I know it's not really an action movie, but I finally watched Unforgiven. Probably my second favorite Clint movie after Josey Wales. And, holy crap, he basically has the most cinematic face in all of filmdom.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Josey Wales doesn't hold a bison tallow lantern to Unforgiven. Why do you like it so much?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Unforgiven is fuckin PERFECT, that's a fantastic movie about violence despite not having much in it by the standards of the flicks we talk about in this thread

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Josey Wales doesn't hold a bison tallow lantern to Unforgiven. Why do you like it so much?
Now I have a Gatling gun, ho ho ho.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Unforgiven is fuckin PERFECT, that's a fantastic movie about violence despite not having much in it by the standards of the flicks we talk about in this thread

Such a big part of what makes it work is that you don't have to see Munny commit much violence, because it's Clint Eastwood. You can just cast your mind back to all those guys he gunned down in other movies and just apply that to Munny, he's basically that same guy.

I love the Hollywood factoid that Eastwood sat on the script for like 10 years because he thought he wasn't quite old enough for it yet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Two Mules for Sister Sara.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Two Mules for Sister Sara.

Its great fun with some stakes and is a bit revisionist, i dig it too.

The final fight in Unforgiven is so good because it's so quick, very anticlimactic

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

Its great fun with some stakes and is a bit revisionist, i dig it too.

The final fight in Unforgiven is so good because it's so quick, very anticlimactic

It's also very well set up by something Munny tells the kid earlier about how the one who draws fastest isn't always the one left the standing. The one who can stay cool and make each shot count usually wins, and that's exactly what happens.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Hackman is the mvp of the movie in a lot of ways. Probably one of the top "Best Supporting Actor" performances of the 90s, along with Tommy Lee Jones in Fugitive and (sigh) Spacey in Usual Suspects.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Gene Hackman is an incredible loving talent and I recommend watching everything he ever did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad he passed on the proposed French Connection III, in which Popeye Doyle was going to be back in New York and teaming up with a fast-talking black detective played by Richard Pryor. :D

If you've not seen David Mamet's Heist (there are loads of movies called "Heist" so make sure you get the right one) then I heartily recommend it. Great show from Danny DeVito as the villain as well. It makes an enjoyable triple-feature with The Score (starring Robert De Niro, Edward Norton and Brando in his last ever movie performance) and Confidence with a number of actors you recognise even though I only remember Rachel Weisz.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A great way to appreciate Hackman is to watch Unforgiven and The Quick and the Dead back to back. It's like the same exact role just much less subtle and he dials up all the right areas to account for that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've still never seen Mississippi Burning.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

A great way to appreciate Hackman is to watch Unforgiven and The Quick and the Dead back to back. It's like the same exact role just much less subtle and he dials up all the right areas to account for that.

Yeah pretty much, also Hackman literally picks that movie up (the Quick and the Dead) and carries it around like a bawling toddler.

"are you nervous, Cort? I am. It takes a LOT to get me nervous. I relish the sensation."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's very entertaining, thought it's inaccurate to the point of being insulting, particularly in how it whitewashes the FBI and depicts them as heroes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was way less ball squeezing in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you've not seen David Mamet's Heist (there are loads of movies called "Heist" so make sure you get the right one) then I heartily recommend it. Great show from Danny DeVito as the villain as well. It makes an enjoyable triple-feature with
Mamet's Heist is awesome. It also makes a great triple-feature with House of Games and The Spanish Prisoner, although it's the most "Hollywood" movie of the three.