Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I assume our treatment of him is basically going to determine whether he becomes a superhero or a supervillain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm pretty sure people saying that the old white guy was just automatically assuming they were stealing are missing the point. He recognised them from the new, the reason he was so insistent on them coming inside to account for their purchased items was that he was trying to catch them so he could hold them in place so the cops could come.

That's not to say he isn't insanely racist and awful (because he is), but he wasn't just getting violent because he was assuming that two brown kids had stolen poo poo, he was a racist idiot with a saviour complex who thought he was catching a murderer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So since I only got into this series about a year or so after the first one had already been fully completed what was the release schedule like for the original LiS and have they said anything about the one for this game yet? Also, any word on when the soundtrack for this is going to be out (though the music hasn't been quite as memorable so far as it was in LiS and BtS)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 29, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that we can all agree was missing from the original Life is Strange was people peeing.

Thank God they've rectified that with LIS 2. Although episode 1 only contains two instances of people peeing, we can hope we will see dozens more in the upcoming episode.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it feels more like an episode 2 than an episode 1

I do not care for Sean and Daniel at all. Sean's a loving mope.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I think Sean has potential. As has been mentioned earlier, he’s spending most of Episode 1 in shock. From what we saw of him in the beginning, he seems like a good kid, if majorly insecure about how he acts around the opposite sex (aside from his bestie).

Honestly I enjoyed Ep1; not a huge amount happened plot wise but it set the brother’s dynamic, and enforced that what we do will affect Daniel’s personality. It also set up importance of money. I have a feeling things are going to get seriously tight and you’ll have to decide on what bad things you need to do to ensure you both aren’t on the verge of starvation.

I’m also still on board with reactions; each time Dan used his power there were other things to worry about. First time their dad is dead and the cops are fast approaching; second time they had to get out of the store before the police arrived; while Sean doesn’t speak about it afterwards he’s probably still mulling over the fact that something is off about Daniel. But again, higher priorities, plus he gets the chance to get a pep talk and resolve on what they need to do to survive. Third time, Sean’s more concerned with getting Daniel to calm down. Going “HOLY poo poo WHAT ARE YOU DOING” just as the little guy has found out their dad is dead isn’t really what I would do in that situation.
Presumably the opening to Episode 2 will be them talking more about what this power is. The point I’m trying to make here is that I really don’t think it’s so unusual that Sean says so little about Daniel’s powers, considering the mess they’re in.
Also I didn’t make the call. I really really wanted to, but I just KNOW poo poo’s gonna hit the fan if you speak to her.
AND I got told Daniel didn’t eat enough. Sorry Daniel I’m trying to ration it out, promise :(

Oh, another thing; did anyone else put money in the jar? I guess I activated Hard Mode when I did that. I had no idea the story would take the turn that it would; I thought it might lead to a nice scene with Sean and his Dad where he’d be like “oh hey, thanks for contributing, you’re a good kid” sort of thing. Sadly I have a feeling that won’t ever be the case now.

Gwaint fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 29, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Sean is a great character.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I got to pick this up today and play through it. I liked it a lot. I'm already pretty invested in these brothers, and they did a really good job getting me to care about the father at the beginning. I know some people are worrying about their ability to make an interesting cast in a road trip scenario where there won't be many persistent faces, but from what I've seen a lot of people already like Lyla and Brody even though they were both only around for a fraction of the episode. So I'm not too worried about it. If Deck Nine makes a spinoff of this sequel, I would be totally cool with it following either Lyla or Brody.

I honestly have no idea how this could play out and I'm psyched about that. I'm also very happy that they went with the road trip idea for this one, I've been wanting that ever since Before the Storm with all of Chloe and Rachel's talk about leaving Arcadia Bay.

Man how hosed did Max get with her power though? She can't even use it without loving up the world, and so far there's no sign of this new power causing anything even close to the scale of two moons. So far all of its negative effects seem to come solely from him not having control of it yet.

With regard to how Sean dealt with Daniel's powers: After the incident at the gas station, Sean writes in his journal that he thinks what happened there was an earthquake. So he doesn't actually realize it's coming from Daniel at all until he actually sees things floating all around him in the hotel room. Which is entirely believable. I sure as gently caress wouldn't jump right to "Oh of course, telekinetic powers" after all that happened. Trauma really fucks with your brain and even without superpowers involved your head can get really confused about what actually happened. "I don't know, it happened so fast" is a very common thing to say, after all.

From Sean's perspective, the first incident was a confusing and terrifying jumble of the bully suddenly not looking so good, a cop showing up out of loving nowhere, a bunch of yelling, his dad suddenly being there, and then his dad being loving dead followed by SOMETHING that knocks all of them unconscious. If I were Sean, and woke up to see everything that happened, the first thing I'd think would be "oh poo poo that cop's car loving exploded". The second incident is already very easily explained away by Sean as an earthquake, and the third incident is finally undeniable. But at that moment, all Daniel's brain can process is that his Dad is loving dead and that needs to be dealt with now. Dead parents rate higher on the 'oh poo poo' scale than superpowers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tired Moritz posted:

Sean's a loving mope.

:thunk:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm talking about even before the whole blow up- Lyla is all chill and he's all sad for teen angst, I guess.

The first life is strange episode had hardcore moments but was fairly fun with a lot of character moments, which allows me to take time and actually like the cast. The first episode just jumps from trauma to another and to another.

I really hope this game doesn't turn to a depression fest.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I really hate the kidnapping scene. It's way too early to whip that kind of poo poo out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is it just me or does the music in this game seems a lot less memorable than previous titles (the only tracks I can recall are Lisztomania from the beginning and the resurgence of the LiS 1 theme during the Arcadia Bay scene)?

To be fair though, most Life is Strange games so far don't really start to get going until towards the middle (Chaos Theory and Brave New World are probably my top two favorite episodes so far) so there's still plenty of time for things to pick up. However, they also tend to stumble a bit at the finish line so hopefully LiS 2 will be able to break that trend.

I'm not really sure if this game necessarily needs a central antagonist either, it might be better if we kept it to just small encounters like with the shop owner that gradually increased in intensity as the story progressed.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 29, 2018

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Out of interest, I'm wondering how the decisions you make in the opening scene affect things further down the line. I'm particularly talking about the stuff you grab for the party. I got beer, chips, and didn't steal the money. Presumably if you do steal you have more than the $30 your dad gives you. Does the soda make Daniel happier and some of the other food help out in some way?.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

EvilHawk posted:

Out of interest, I'm wondering how the decisions you make in the opening scene affect things further down the line. I'm particularly talking about the stuff you grab for the party. I got beer, chips, and didn't steal the money. Presumably if you do steal you have more than the $30 your dad gives you. Does the soda make Daniel happier and some of the other food help out in some way?.

I took the beer and Daniel didn't end up getting enough to eat on the final screen, so I wouldn't be surprised if it counted towards that.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm talking about even before the whole blow up- Lyla is all chill and he's all sad for teen angst, I guess.

Maybe this is down to the responses you picked? He was fine in my game, maybe a little nervous about Jenn. Between joking about penises, playing along with the cookie judge thing, and having that nice talk with his Dad in the garage and Lyla over Skype he seemed pretty normal. The only thing he was really moody about was when Daniel barged into his room.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Viridiant posted:

Maybe this is down to the responses you picked? He was fine in my game, maybe a little nervous about Jenn. Between joking about penises, playing along with the cookie judge thing, and having that nice talk with his Dad in the garage and Lyla over Skype he seemed pretty normal. The only thing he was really moody about was when Daniel barged into his room.

If you pick "both guilty" for cookie judge he acts like a total tool about it, which I can see being a mood-killing first impression. In general I wish these games at least, like, had a smiley face next to an option that suggested the tone of your response.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

The Bee posted:

If you pick "both guilty" for cookie judge he acts like a total tool about it, which I can see being a mood-killing first impression. In general I wish these games at least, like, had a smiley face next to an option that suggested the tone of your response.

Pretty much every choice based game could do with a feature like this yeah, save for the few where your responses are listed exactly as they're going to be.

Also a few people have mentioned that the drawing mechanic seems really slow/tedious and I had the same experience. I'm pretty sure this is some kind of PC specific bug, because I've watched a few people play it on console and it seemed much faster and easier for them. I don't think it's even a controller vs mouse thing because while using a controller for those sections did make them somewhat easier, it was still wayyyyyy slower than the console versions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

Pretty much every choice based game could do with a feature like this yeah, save for the few where your responses are listed exactly as they're going to be.

Also a few people have mentioned that the drawing mechanic seems really slow/tedious and I had the same experience. I'm pretty sure this is some kind of PC specific bug, because I've watched a few people play it on console and it seemed much faster and easier for them. I don't think it's even a controller vs mouse thing because while using a controller for those sections did make them somewhat easier, it was still wayyyyyy slower than the console versions.

Fortunately for completionists sake the drawings aren't the main collectables this time around, the souvenirs are (you just have to start at least one drawing in each episode in order to get the achievement for it).

Speaking of which, if anyone still needs help with that here's a guide for the collectables in Episode 1:

Drawing Spots (if there are more than this let me know):

1. The beanbag in Sean's room
2. A log close to the lake.
3. The chair near Daniel's bed at the motel

Souvenirs:

1. At the lake there's a stick with a bra hooked onto it sticking out of the water, look up from there and you'll see something in a nearby tree which you can then have Daniel grab for you.

2. When you're in the store look at the bear keychains near the register.

3. Also in the store there are some truck stickers you can grab near the entrance.

4. Outside the store go around back until you see a pumpkin, at which point lift up the small box nearby.

5. Outside the motel throw the stick into the weeds. When Mushroom brings it back you'll find the souvenir attached to it.

6. At the motel, look inside the cabinet near the TV and you'll see a postcard you can grab (the one that says Three Seals Motel).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 30, 2018

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Kind of a weird detail but for some reason the color of the truck that crosses in front of the cop car in the very beginning during the dashcam footage varies. I’ve seen videos of black, red and white. Have no idea if there’s any point but I am all tinfoil about it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't know what everyone's doing wrong with drawing; I played it on PC and it took all of 2 seconds to get from blank to rough draft and another 2 seconds to get from draft to final. And there's the artist vision parts which are only 5 seconds per.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just swiveled around the analog stick and drew the full picture in two attempts each time.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
For the first picture I tried wiggling around the mouse for a while with no apparent progress. Eventually I switched to controller and the only progress I could get was very slow progress wiggling the analog stick left and right repeatedly. Now that other folks are saying it works fine for them on PC I have no idea what's happening. Really weird.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Left and right alone won't make it go very fast, hold the analog like a joystick and rotate it all around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It probably could have been explained a little clearer but yeah, all you have to do on a controller anyway is rotate the control stick (think of it like the photo jumping mechanic from the original only a bit less annoying).

Also, besides Power Bear and Mustard Party getting a few nods I noticed another Captain Spirit reference in this episode as well. On one of the benches in the picnic area of the park you can find the names "Charles Emily Chris" written down among the other graffiti (Charles and Emily being the names of his parents).

Speaking of Captain Spirit, since it's pretty obvious at this point that the next episode will be tying back into that I'm curious how it's going to work (that is, will you just get a message at the start asking if you played Captain Spirit before like it did for Season 1 in this one or will it actually let you import your save data like had been rumored).

I sort of doubt Before the Storm is getting any nods though since A: it wasn't made by DontNod apart from them approving some story points and B: chronologically speaking that was 6 years ago at this point so I'm not entirely sure what they could reference to be honest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 30, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

I don't know what everyone's doing wrong with drawing; I played it on PC and it took all of 2 seconds to get from blank to rough draft and another 2 seconds to get from draft to final. And there's the artist vision parts which are only 5 seconds per.

Right, I've seen a youtube Let's Play by a PC player where the drawing took only a few seconds. It would have been an enjoyable game mechanic if it worked like this.

But for me, on PC, it took a solid minute. So I don't know how they managed to gently caress this, it's probably based on the sensitivity of your mouse, or who knows what else. Imagine how much fun it would have been for you to sit there for a solid minute holding the mouse button down while moving the mouse around and having the drawing barely barely advancing. And then it finally finishes, and you realize there's a second stage, but gently caress that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Its funny how many of the haters ITT have a Trump Lover avatar

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I could only get the drawing to work on pc by shaking the absolute gently caress out of my mouse. The instruction text is really bad as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I could only get the drawing to work on pc by shaking the absolute gently caress out of my mouse. The instruction text is really bad as well.

I've only used a controller (which has no problems at all by the way) but how is the mouse supposed to work for this anyway? Just click and move it in a circle?

Though like I said, fortunately the drawings aren't required for 100% completion this time around (you just have to start one in each episode to get the achievement) and the actual photo/graffiti equivalent is the souvenirs. But yeah, it seems clear this one was made with consoles in mind first and then the PC stuff was more of an afterthought.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 30, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just jiggled the mouse around randomly, no more than a few millimeters in any direction.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but if you chose the Bae ending in the original this game does seem to confirm that everyone died in the storm except Max and Chloe (it's been 3 years and the town is not only still a wreck but basically seems to have been abandoned entirely aside from a plaque someone put up on the outskirts).

Though to be fair, Kate and David could be ok considering that (if she was still alive) the former was in the hospital and the latter may have possibly still been in the bunker at the time (though that would potentially mean Jefferson survived as well). The BtS kids are also potentially unaccounted for (Drew probably graduated, Steph and Mikey were freshmen and as such might have still been at Blackwell by the time Season 1 rolled around and we just never saw them and I'm not sure about Samantha).

But as it's most likely we're never going to see any of those characters again outside of the upcoming comic and maybe if they make another prequel it's probably best to assume that everyone's screwed and Max and Chloe probably aren't even in Oregon anymore by this point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 30, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Larryb posted:

I've only used a controller (which has no problems at all by the way) but how is the mouse supposed to work for this anyway? Just click and move it in a circle?

This is what it says to do, but it just does not work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

This is what it says to do, but it just does not work.

Then there's probably an issue with the PC version but maybe they'll fix it as future episodes release.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but if you chose the Bae ending in the original this game does seem to confirm that everyone died in the storm except Max and Chloe (it's been 3 years and the town is not only still a wreck but basically seems to have been abandoned entirely aside from a plaque someone put up on the outskirts).

Though to be fair, Kate and David could be ok considering that (if she was still alive) the former was in the hospital and the latter may have possibly still been in the bunker at the time (though that would potentially mean Jefferson survived as well). The BtS kids are also potentially unaccounted for (Drew probably graduated, Steph and Mikey were freshmen and as such might have still been at Blackwell by the time Season 1 rolled around and we just never saw them and I'm not sure about Samantha).

But as it's most likely we're never going to see any of those characters again outside of the upcoming comic and maybe if they make another prequel it's probably best to assume that everyone's screwed and Max and Chloe probably aren't even in Oregon anymore by this point.

I imagine if Max and Chloe ever make any kind of cameo in this game, it's going to be if the brothers ever make it down to the Los Angeles area. I know that was more Rachel's dream, but I figure they'd at least go down there to see what it's like. If you chose the Bay ending, then Max might make a solo cameo if the boys go to the San Francisco area.

Also part of me thinks that "Frank's Smokehouse" marked on one of the maps is run by the actual Frank who survived, running the business alongside Chloe's mom who also survived. That's my head canon.

...Pompidou is there too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

I imagine if Max and Chloe ever make any kind of cameo in this game, it's going to be if the brothers ever make it down to the Los Angeles area. I know that was more Rachel's dream, but I figure they'd at least go down there to see what it's like. If you chose the Bay ending, then Max might make a solo cameo if the boys go to the San Francisco area.

Also part of me thinks that "Frank's Smokehouse" marked on one of the maps is run by the actual Frank who survived, running the business alongside Chloe's mom who also survived. That's my head canon.

...Pompidou is there too.

I'd be down for that honestly, Chloe seems like somebody who would probably be good with kids, like a cool aunt or something (plus of course she can relate to the whole dead dad issue). Meanwhile Sean and Max could be super awkward with each other (though Sean's not nearly that bad in that regard). Also they would both be in their early 20's by now and could probably legally adopt the boys and/or Chris should he join them, just saying.

Speaking of which, this might not line up that well since he mentions it no matter what ending you follow from the original but I kind of like to think that they're the strangers that helped Brody out a little while back

Since I believe the episodes in the first game came out like 2 months apart from each other or something it's possible we could be seeing Episode 2 as early as November/December.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 30, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think my only real issue with this episode so far is (early, post-title spoiler just to be safe for people who still haven't played and want to be totally unspoiled) walking in the woods segment takes too long with too much repetition. It's a nice demo of the new graphics they worked on but otherwise there's not a lot going on, and everything between the start and the end of it probably could've been done in a montage, maybe with some choices.

There's definitely some pacing issues compared to the start of LiS1, but I'm willing to see where it goes. The current vibe I'm getting is that they definitely have a story they wanted to tell but didn't know the best way to get it started, which is why bits of ep1 here feel a bit disjointed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah I'm hoping that now that everything has been set up, Daniel knows the full truth and is starting to get a handle on his new powers the next few episodes will be where we get into the real meat of LiS 2 and as a result things will have a much tighter focus going forward. I have no idea where this all is going but there's an interesting story here and the whole Parenting Simulator (as well as a bit of resource management) aspect is a unique twist. I just hope they're able to pull it off (particularly in the final episode, which is the point where the previous LiS games kind of stumbled a bit).

Speaking of the new powers, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some puzzles involving them from here on out if not some points where we actually play as Daniel. The power is not only more obvious than Max's Rewind ability but also far more (immediately) dangerous as well (the cop from the beginning was literally killed by it) so I'm curious how that's going to factor into events going forward. Not to mention the fact that they're being wielded by a 9 year old who basically had his entire life stolen from him.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 1, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

Its funny how many of the haters ITT have a Trump Lover avatar

lol if you paid to have a picture next to your name like some sort of loser.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I know this has been hashed to death in prior threads but I think the bigger issue with LiS1 is that prior to the actual final decision and ending, Max and Chloe seem to definitely make the conclusion that "Chloe alive = horrible hurricane" based on very little evidence at all; when a much more reasonable conclusion (with the limited evidence available) is that something weird is happening in the world, with the beached whales, and the two moons, and the looming hurricane; and that Max's time travel powers are a symptom of all of that, not somehow the cause.

Orange Sunshine posted:

lol if you paid to have a picture next to your name like some sort of loser.

Last time I saw someone reg, I dunno if this is the case but it's how I got mine, giving yourself a title is actually free and doesn't cost anything and bypasses being a StupidNewbie/TrumpLover.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I know this has been hashed to death in prior threads but I think the bigger issue with LiS1 is that prior to the actual final decision and ending, Max and Chloe seem to definitely make the conclusion that "Chloe alive = horrible hurricane" based on very little evidence at all; when a much more reasonable conclusion (with the limited evidence available) is that something weird is happening in the world, with the beached whales, and the two moons, and the looming hurricane; and that Max's time travel powers are a symptom of all of that, not somehow the cause.

Not to mention the fact that the storm was still coming in both of the alternate timelines she visited and the fact that she had her first vision of it before receiving her powers. In fact, her only real proof that her powers caused all this was a theory Warren came up with (of course if you take the Sacrifice Chloe route it turns out to be true but Max would have no way of knowing that).

Though there is a theory that the opening wasn't actually a dream but rather the final moments of a Max from a previous timeline (she makes the same expression when she wakes up in the classroom that she does whenever she appears in a new timeline after a photo jump). It's also speculated that this Max (or possibly the one from the William Lives timeline) is the one you meet near the end of the nightmare in Episode 5 (remember the final decision in said timeline and the fact that when Max enters a new timeline she hijacks the body of the Max that was already present there). This would explain why Nightmare Max seems to hate both the current version and Chloe so much, they literally ruined her life.

Now granted, this could also just be the personification of Max's self-doubt but one the first things she says is this:

"I'm you, dumbass. Or I'm one of many Maxes you've left behind."

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How dumb do you have to be to steal from a store and then eat your stolen items in front of the store?

The story seems like a rote loss of innocence journey so far. I didn’t like it.