Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Crosspost: Got a friend from New Orleans who moved out to California and is homesick for muffalettas. Anyone got a good recipe they can recommend?

And if she can't find muffaletta bread in California, is focaccia or ciabatta a reasonable substitute?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Crosspost: Got a friend from New Orleans who moved out to California and is homesick for muffalettas. Anyone got a good recipe they can recommend?

And if she can't find muffaletta bread in California, is focaccia or ciabatta a reasonable substitute?

Foccacia bread certainly is a substitute. The most important part of a muffaletta, is in my opinion, the tapenade.

2 Parts Green Olives (pits removed)
2 Part Black Olives (pits removed)
1 Part Sun Dried Tomatoes (reserve the oil if they're packed in olive oil)

The following to taste:
Anchovies (Adds salt and umami flavor)
Garlic
Capers
Basil
Thyme
Oregano
Fresh Parsley

In a food processor put all the "flavoring" ingredients and a little of the reserved olive oil and give a good spin until they're chopped fairly fine. Then toss in the olives and SDT's and chop them until they're fairly coarse. Don't puree them.

---

A question of my own:

Is there a low-salt/sodium thread in GWS already?

I've reached the age where blood pressure is becoming a concern and would like to swap recipies with other people who want to be healthy but also not eat the blandest stuff on the planet.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Weltlich posted:

A question of my own:

Is there a low-salt/sodium thread in GWS already?

I've reached the age where blood pressure is becoming a concern and would like to swap recipies with other people who want to be healthy but also not eat the blandest stuff on the planet.
Rule 1: No muffalettas

My uncle has Meniere's disease and keeping your sodium low is supposed to help with that-I'd be interested in any ideas too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Struggling with high blood pressure myself, the #1 most effective solution I’ve found is cardio exercise.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Steve Yun posted:

Struggling with high blood pressure myself, the #1 most effective solution I’ve found is cardio exercise.

I know some nutrition people, I can maybe get some cookbooks that cover that area and scan the recipes they recommend. Would that be of interest?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of recipes, The Restaurant Empire Let's Play finished awhile ago and I'm looking into developing some sort of contest/let's cook thread thing as a follow-up. I'd love y'all's advice on how to format it that might help encourage involvement.

For background, Restaurant Empire is a Chinese-made restaurant sim of questionable politics and production values. It includes "recipes" that you collect to offer in your restaurants...and these have actual ingredient lists, equipment requirements, etc. The LP was a huge hit, but the participants (none of whom are chefs) noticed some...issues with the recipe profiles.

for example:

Crepes Marcie

"Seasonal fruits are diced and marinated in rum, maing this the ideal filling for those handmade golden-brown crepes."

Essential Ingredients Quantity
Butter 10.50 g
Egg 0.50 ea
Flour 8 tbsp
Milk 60 mL
Rum 48 mL
Salt 0.25 tsp
Sugar 1.25 g

Optional Ingredients
Cinnamon 100 tsp

Cooking Time - 2 Clocks
Requires - Blender
Default Price - $6.40

If you read that list closely, I think you can start to see the appeal of a GWS contest of some sort. A lot of them are like...that.

I'm thinking about challenging folks to make a recipe from a list from the game from with the ingredients and equipment as listed. The "winners" would be those with the most and least palatable recipes, or other prize categories.

What do y'all think? The list of recipes is here.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

*measures out 1.25 g sugar on my cocaine scale*

*adds it to the 100 tsp cinnamon*

:discourse:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Quick question, I just got a basic butane culinary torch and had a question about storage. When not in use, do I just make sure it is set to closed and put it on a shelf?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Quick question, I just got a basic butane culinary torch and had a question about storage. When not in use, do I just make sure it is set to closed and put it on a shelf?

He, next to some old, dusty books.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

how long will cooked fruits last in the fridge?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Qubee posted:

how long will cooked fruits last in the fridge?

I'd guess about a week or two before it gets moldy. Probably depends on the environment in which bit was prepared. Cooked fruit is freezable as well. Pack it in freezer bags and make them thin and flat so there's lots of surface area and it freezes quickly.

You could also get into canning and make shelf stable jars of cooked fruit.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Last week (maybe the week before?) I asked for omelette suggestions for my restaurant's weekly special, and I just wanted to say thanks for the muffuletta chat because: holy poo poo is it just me or does a muffuletta omelette sound like the absolute tits? Ham, salami, cheese, top that poo poo with the tapenade. Yay or nay? I'm on deck for making next week's special, need to let the boss know so she can place truck orders.

My special this past week sold like gangbusters, did a "bruschetta" omelette. Ricotta/parm/basil stuffing, then made a quick sauté of halved cherry tomatoes, garlic, spring onions in olive oil and added balsamic and white wine vinegar. Us being primarily a biscuit place, we serve a biscuit on the side, but this time we topped them with garlic butter. The owners' parents came in and ordered it after seeing it on FB, I was chuffed as hell. :smug:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Last week (maybe the week before?) I asked for omelette suggestions for my restaurant's weekly special, and I just wanted to say thanks for the muffuletta chat because: holy poo poo is it just me or does a muffuletta omelette sound like the absolute tits? Ham, salami, cheese, top that poo poo with the tapenade. Yay or nay? I'm on deck for making next week's special, need to let the boss know so she can place truck orders.

My special this past week sold like gangbusters, did a "bruschetta" omelette. Ricotta/parm/basil stuffing, then made a quick sauté of halved cherry tomatoes, garlic, spring onions in olive oil and added balsamic and white wine vinegar. Us being primarily a biscuit place, we serve a biscuit on the side, but this time we topped them with garlic butter. The owners' parents came in and ordered it after seeing it on FB, I was chuffed as hell. :smug:

A muffeletta omelet sounds baller. Do it!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is gravy made with cornstarch not as good as gravy made with roux?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is gravy made with cornstarch not as good as gravy made with roux?

Just different, not better or worse. I usually use potato starch instead of corn, though - less added flavor, easier to use, less clumpy, less gluey. Start with the same amount as cornstarch and add more if you need it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My special this past week sold like gangbusters, did a "bruschetta" omelette. Ricotta/parm/basil stuffing, then made a quick saut of halved cherry tomatoes, garlic, spring onions in olive oil and added balsamic and white wine vinegar. Us being primarily a biscuit place, we serve a biscuit on the side, but this time we topped them with garlic butter. The owners' parents came in and ordered it after seeing it on FB, I was chuffed as hell. :smug:

Do it and take pictures for us you beautiful bastard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, every now and then the family has what's called YOYO night (you're on your own for dinner), usually because everyone has events that night and there won't be time for everyone to sit down for dinner. I decided to hijack it and make it soup/chili night, because that's food you can cook, turn the heat down low, and have it at your own leisure.

Well, for this week, we have one coming up, and I was thinking a shrimp based soup, and was wondering what to make. Now, nothing involving added fats and such, but I was thinking gumbo, as it is fall here and a little spice to warm things up. Also, nothing super spicy, the family can handle some spice, but they're also "mayo is spicy" weak.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of ya'll ever make Tamago Ajitsuke for ramen? I did a 3 minute egg in the instant pot. Ice bathed it. Peeled it. It "felt" great. Just right. You could tell it was soft.

I marinated them in the marinade and tested one about 5 hours later and it was firm yellow. LIke almost a hardboiled egg.

The marinade hadn't penetrated fully. So it can't be that, right??

My only guess was there was still residual heat in the egg post ice-bath?

Any ideas?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

So, every now and then the family has what's called YOYO night (you're on your own for dinner), usually because everyone has events that night and there won't be time for everyone to sit down for dinner. I decided to hijack it and make it soup/chili night, because that's food you can cook, turn the heat down low, and have it at your own leisure.

Well, for this week, we have one coming up, and I was thinking a shrimp based soup, and was wondering what to make. Now, nothing involving added fats and such, but I was thinking gumbo, as it is fall here and a little spice to warm things up. Also, nothing super spicy, the family can handle some spice, but they're also "mayo is spicy" weak.

Gumbo is a favorite at my house, and make sure you make it with okra, or else it isn't gumbo!

That said, as far as the spice issue, "cajun" spice blends are pretty easy to mix up at home, and if you omit the cayenne, then you're removing the heat component. Just do one part of black pepper, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried lemon zest, and thyme - and then three parts paprika. The store-bought blends also usually have a ton of salt in them, but I prefer to just let the spices be on their own, and salt separately.

Also: consider a bisque.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Do it and take pictures for us you beautiful bastard.

Absolutely, my friend!

How mission critical is the cheese being Swiss and provolone, in a muff? We make our own pimento cheese in house, and keep mozzarella on hand for Sunday brunch. I'm trying to keep food costs down, and people love that pimento (now that we started doing lunch, we offer a grilled cheese sandwich that's just a big ol scoop of pimento, and it sells like crazy), so does a SW Virginia-style muff omelette with our pimento cheese and a slice of mozzarella sound acceptable (if not authentic)?

Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to make tapenade, because I loving love olives.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Absolutely, my friend!

How mission critical is the cheese being Swiss and provolone, in a muff? We make our own pimento cheese in house, and keep mozzarella on hand for Sunday brunch. I'm trying to keep food costs down, and people love that pimento (now that we started doing lunch, we offer a grilled cheese sandwich that's just a big ol scoop of pimento, and it sells like crazy), so does a SW Virginia-style muff omelette with our pimento cheese and a slice of mozzarella sound acceptable (if not authentic)?

Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to make tapenade, because I loving love olives.

It sounds good to me, and I think if you sell it as a Blue Ridge Muffuletta omelette, then you might be able to get away with it. What is the base cheese you're using for make the PC? Honestly, I'd be tempted to skip the mozz and just roll with the PC.

OTOH - For a reason to stick with provolone and Swiss, I can see using PC possibly leading to textural issues. I'm not sure how firm your PC is, and if it's too soft, you may run into a goopy or unacceptably runny filling.

Where in SW Virginia are you? I'm from Wytheville originally, and have long held that proper PC can only be made by a great aunt, and must be stored in a re-used cool-whip tub.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Weltlich posted:

Gumbo is a favorite at my house, and make sure you make it with okra, or else it isn't gumbo!

Ehhhhhhh.

File gumbo is a thing, and file powder is used to help thicken a bit and give some texture that you'd miss if you left out okra.

Otherwise, yeah you can make gumbo without it being spicy, and it will still be really good.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Rule 1: No muffalettas

My uncle has Meniere's disease and keeping your sodium low is supposed to help with that-I'd be interested in any ideas too.

Steve Yun posted:

MSG is a sodium salt that contributes very little to blood sodium levels(mostly because you're going to use FAR less weight-wise)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Weltlich posted:

It sounds good to me, and I think if you sell it as a Blue Ridge Muffuletta omelette, then you might be able to get away with it. What is the base cheese you're using for make the PC? Honestly, I'd be tempted to skip the mozz and just roll with the PC.

OTOH - For a reason to stick with provolone and Swiss, I can see using PC possibly leading to textural issues. I'm not sure how firm your PC is, and if it's too soft, you may run into a goopy or unacceptably runny filling.

Where in SW Virginia are you? I'm from Wytheville originally, and have long held that proper PC can only be made by a great aunt, and must be stored in a re-used cool-whip tub.

Thanks for the reply! I'm reppin' Roanoke, not quite as SW VA as you but dang y'all sure love your pimento cheese in these here parts. I'm originally from NY, moved to Newport News 17 years ago, only came to this part of the state last year. Pimento's kinda a new thing to me. Ours is based on shredded cheddar-jack and Philly cream cheese.

Goop issue might actually be a plus; when I did the bruschetta omelette last week, a customer said "when I cut it, the ricotta oozed out, but then you have the biscuit on the side to sop it up! That's genius!" Think I strained something patting myself on the back after that.

I just swung by work on my way to run another errand, and asked about cheese availability. Our sister store (who we share the walk-in with) has Swiss and prov on hand for their sandwiches, so I could still run with that. I'm liking the Blue Ridge Muffuletta idea, though, and totally stealing that name. Thanks!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Weltlich posted:

That said, as far as the spice issue, "cajun" spice blends are pretty easy to mix up at home, and if you omit the cayenne, then you're removing the heat component. Just do one part of black pepper, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried lemon zest, and thyme - and then three parts paprika. The store-bought blends also usually have a ton of salt in them, but I prefer to just let the spices be on their own, and salt separately.

Also: consider a bisque.

Got any specific recipes on hand? My parents are (sigh) on weight watchers, so anything high calorie is a bit of a non-starter.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Absolutely, my friend!

My extremely cajun Mema made muffeletas with leftover jalapeno pimento cheese and whatever "white cheese" (mild monterey jack) that was leftover from making queso. That's my favorite meal as a kid! I think the important part of a muffaletta is the tapenade and meats. If you add an ingredient that you *know* your customers love you're doing the muffaletta a service, not detracting from it.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 1, 2018

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I need "golden Spurtle"/steel cut oats ideas. I've taken a liking to the steel cut oats setting on my zojirushi and I need ideas for what else to put in it for breakfast. Brown sugar and cinnamon? Raisins? Hell yeah. Done all that.

I could add some nuts. What else?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Coconut milk + star anise + cinnamon + cardamom, + optional diced dates

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

El Jebus posted:

I need "golden Spurtle"/steel cut oats ideas. I've taken a liking to the steel cut oats setting on my zojirushi and I need ideas for what else to put in it for breakfast. Brown sugar and cinnamon? Raisins? Hell yeah. Done all that.

Peanut butter is delicious. I add chocolate chips in sometimes too for a no-bake cookie taste.

Craisins and vanilla, strawberries and coconut flakes, apples and cinnamon.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Got any specific recipes on hand? My parents are (sigh) on weight watchers, so anything high calorie is a bit of a non-starter.

Well, I'll give you how I generally make it, and you can modify it as you see fit. It's a very flexible stew, and I generally never make it the same way twice, because I end up using what I've got on hand and what's on sale instead of going with a static recipe. (So in theory, you can swap things out for lo-cal stuff.) The most problematic thing for you is going to be the roux, since that is literally flour toasted in oil - but along with the okra it's essential to making the gravy-like broth/sauce that is a hallmark of gumbo. A little goes a long way though.

5 qt Dutch Oven or large pot with a lid
1 whisk
1 Big wooden spoon

1/4 cup avacado oil*
1/4 cup flour

1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
5 stalks celery, chopped fine
2 bell peppers, chopped fine

1 lb okra (get it in the freezer aisle, already chopped)

1 lb seafood (usually shrimp, but I've lobster, or a whitefish like pollock, catfish, and haddock, cut into ~1 inch cubes)
1 lb chicken breast, boneless-skinless, and cubed into 1" pieces
1 lb sausage (Andouille is traditional, but if you find a lean smoked sausage, that works too)

1 small can of tomato paste
5 medium sized Roma tomatoes, chopped into 1/2" cubes (optional)

3 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper (If you don't have this don't worry, just sub in a little more black pepper)
1 tsp thyme
1 Tbs of minced garlic (Three cloves, minced, if you have it fresh and don't want to measure)
Salt to taste

6 cups of low sodium chicken broth or stock

File Powder (if you can find it)

1) Get all food prepped and chopped ahead of time. This is sort of like a stir-fry in the beginning, and you won't have time to keep prepping food once you start cooking.

2) In the pot, over medium heat, whisk together the oil and flour to form the roux. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS - KEEP WHISKING! This will take several minutes, but under no circumstances stop whisking. Slowly, the flour will begin to toast, and when it looks like peanut butter, it's time to move on. (Also of note: Under no circumstances, get water into the roux at this stage - they call it "cajun napalm" for a reason.)

3) Add the trinity of onion, celery and pepper straight into the rough and start to stir it with a wooden spoon. You want to keep stirring until it's well incorporated and the onion pieces just start to clarify.

4) Add the meat, and keep stirring until it's browned a little. Traditionally gumbo has "fish, foul, and field" - a seafood, a poultry, and either sausage or pork. It's up to you what you want to add, though. Like I said, it's a flexible recipe.

5) Add the okra. If it's frozen, that's ok just stir until it's thawed.

6) Stir in the tomato paste and the optional chopped tomatoes until they're well incorporated.

7) Stir in the spices.

8) Add a little (1 cup) of the broth and use the spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot.

9) Once all the good stuff is scraped off, pour the rest of the broth into the pot and stir until the gumbo is well incorporated.

10) Bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat to a low simmer and cover. Let it simmer for at least an hour, up to two, and then cut the heat.

11) If you have File powder, you may add it a teaspoon at a time while stirring the gumbo until it thickens to your preferred consistency

A note - If you want to use less roux, you can use more okra and get a thicker sauce in the end. You can use more File powder as well, but I generally prefer the flavor of the okra to the powder.

*Traditionally this is lard or vegetable oil, but I started using avacado oil because the current studies say it's a little healthier.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 2, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

iospace posted:

There's also a bit here and there in the cajun / creole thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811

Also we have a few folks in there that do an oven roux, toasting the flour without oil in a black iron skillet in the oven. My mom does this, I have not tried it, but it's a good way to cut down on the overall fat / oil content if you wanted to.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I'm roasting a pork picnic tomorrow. 8 hours in the oven at 250 degrees.
I want to serve it with baked potatoes and roasted vegetables, both of which I usually bake around 400 degrees.
If I just toss whole potatoes along with some sliced carrots, onions, and zucchini, will they turn out ok at 250 degrees and extra time? Or will they turn to mush?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone recommend a brand of garam masala to buy? Ideally on Amazon. I thought it would be easy but the ratios are all over the place and a bunch include salt as a main ingredient.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bagheera posted:

I'm roasting a pork picnic tomorrow. 8 hours in the oven at 250 degrees.
I want to serve it with baked potatoes and roasted vegetables, both of which I usually bake around 400 degrees.
If I just toss whole potatoes along with some sliced carrots, onions, and zucchini, will they turn out ok at 250 degrees and extra time? Or will they turn to mush?
I’d cook the pork at 250, take it out when it’s done and set it covered on the stove to keep warmish, cook the veg at 400, and throw the pork back in the oven for the last few minutes to warm back up if it needs it. Big hunks of meat will stay surprisingly hot for a long time. I think vegetables cooked at 250 would be very sad- pork that has cooked 8 hours isn’t going to get hurt by 10 minutes at 400.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

El Jebus posted:

Turmeric, black pepper, chopped dates, and maple syrup.

Green onions, miso.

Green onions, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, shiitake mushrooms, chili oil.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LMK if I should make a separate thread for this.

I have a go-to recipe for banana muffins. I've made it gluten-free simply by using gluten-free flour. I'd also like to make it vegan, but I could use advice on what to use in place of eggs. I've tried applesauce before but the muffins were rubbery, still edible at least.

I want to add pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon, my recipe suggests half a teaspoon of cinnamon. Would half a teaspoon of pumpkin spice be enough?

My current recipe (open to ideas for improvement!):

1 cup of mashed bananas (usually 3)
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

I've also experimented with adding cocoa powder, chocolate chips, even chocolate sprinkles into the batter

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
One great vegan egg replacement is 1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds (flaxseed meal) mixed with 3 Tbsp water and let to sit a little while. You'd double this for two eggs. You can also buy commercial egg replacement products.

As for the pumpkin spice, you can do whatever. More will have a stronger taste, less will have a more mild taste.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone recommend a brand of garam masala to buy? Ideally on Amazon. I thought it would be easy but the ratios are all over the place and a bunch include salt as a main ingredient.

The common brands I see in Indian groceries are deep and swad.

Swad looks like it has a bit of salt, but not a huge amount by the looks of it; maybe 1/25 of a teaspoon per tablespoon of powder. Interestingly it has dried mango in it, so it might have a little tang to it. That's typically used in things like chole (chana masala).

The deep stuff looks significantly different. No salt, but interestingly szechuan peppercorns listed as a second ingredient? And also kalpasi, which I didn't even know was a thing until today.

They're definitely inexpensive basic brands, so a more premium offering might be better? I just know that those are fairly common.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Eeyo posted:

The common brands I see in Indian groceries are deep and swad.

Swad looks like it has a bit of salt, but not a huge amount by the looks of it; maybe 1/25 of a teaspoon per tablespoon of powder. Interestingly it has dried mango in it, so it might have a little tang to it. That's typically used in things like chole (chana masala).

The deep stuff looks significantly different. No salt, but interestingly szechuan peppercorns listed as a second ingredient? And also kalpasi, which I didn't even know was a thing until today.

They're definitely inexpensive basic brands, so a more premium offering might be better? I just know that those are fairly common.

Cool, thanks. I ended up getting Eastern and I'll try it out later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I'd like to make a sugar pumpkin and potato hash for dinner tonight, and I'm unsure of cooking methods for each to make sure they come out done, but not mushy. Do I roast cubed potatoes and squash together at 400 for 15 minutes, then pan saute afterwards with sage and spices? Do I just saute both? Do I parboil the potatoes while roasting the squash then saute?

Advice please? What would you do for best results?