Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dillbag posted:

Cover price, baby!

That makes it worse for me if it sells for what I expect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bessantj posted:

Has Jessica Drew ever worn the venom symbiote?

Sort of, recently.

In the Mike Costa run, there was a subplot about the Venom symbiote keeping a secret from Eddie. There was a point where Venom was collectively sane enough that he wasn't killing criminals anymore and he was shocked -- SHOCKED -- that Spider-Woman still wanted to bring him in for the many, many murders he committed. She tracked him down to his apartment and zapped Eddie unconscious. The symbiote grabbed onto her to show her its secret and why it couldn't allow itself or Eddie to be put in prison.

So for a big splash page, there's this image of Symbiote Spider-Woman and all these image flashes of random stuff from Venom's history. Namely Carnage, the Life Foundation symbiotes and the Venom clone/Maniac. Spider-Woman reluctantly agreed to let Venom be out of sympathy, but warned the symbiote to keep its nose clean or she'd hunt it down.

The secret was later revealed to be that the symbiote was pregnant yet again, but was terrified because all of its other offspring were evil or used for evil purposes. It feels that it needs Eddie there to make sure its new child will be brought up correctly. This plot thread is being continued currently in the miniseries Venom: The First Host with the indication that some female Skrull warrior is probably going to end up being that thing's host.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

She probably got venomized during that stupid Venom Bomb storyline in Bendis' Avengers run, but that would be a different symbiote than the one Spider-Man wore.

bobkatt013 posted:

And not jessica drew

Gavok posted:

Sort of, recently.

In the Mike Costa run, there was a subplot about the Venom symbiote keeping a secret from Eddie. There was a point where Venom was collectively sane enough that he wasn't killing criminals anymore and he was shocked -- SHOCKED -- that Spider-Woman still wanted to bring him in for the many, many murders he committed. She tracked him down to his apartment and zapped Eddie unconscious. The symbiote grabbed onto her to show her its secret and why it couldn't allow itself or Eddie to be put in prison.

So for a big splash page, there's this image of Symbiote Spider-Woman and all these image flashes of random stuff from Venom's history. Namely Carnage, the Life Foundation symbiotes and the Venom clone/Maniac. Spider-Woman reluctantly agreed to let Venom be out of sympathy, but warned the symbiote to keep its nose clean or she'd hunt it down.

The secret was later revealed to be that the symbiote was pregnant yet again, but was terrified because all of its other offspring were evil or used for evil purposes. It feels that it needs Eddie there to make sure its new child will be brought up correctly. This plot thread is being continued currently in the miniseries Venom: The First Host with the indication that some female Skrull warrior is probably going to end up being that thing's host.

Than you all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's Mania, not Maniac. Considering I think the character is basically Shadow the Hedgehog, it's amazing that I remember that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

It's Mania, not Maniac. Considering I think the character is basically Shadow the Hedgehog, it's amazing that I remember that.

It's both. Lee Price (the guy who was Venom before Eddie got it back) stole the symbiote from Andrea and started calling himself Maniac. He also has a power where if he spits on someone, his symbiote creates a mind-controlling mask and they start doing his bidding. Though it only works once on each person.

While I'm at it, here's a list I wrote of everyone who has ever worn the Venom symbiote.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I stop reading Venom comics for like 2 years and look what happens.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I stop reading Venom comics for like 2 years and look what happens.

The Costa run is pretty fun, though not super great or anything. The current Donny Cates stuff has started strong. Edge of Venomverse has a couple really good one-shots in there (namely Gwenpool and Deadpool. The latter for the Stokoe art), but Venomverse itself is just kind of there. The X-Men crossover and Venomized aren't worth checking out.

Though there is a neat bit about how Symbiote Cyclops can shoot in every direction because of the way symbiotes actually see.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got approved at a killer interest rate so I dont have to rush to sell my books.

I might be a homeowner in the near future.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rhyno posted:

We got approved at a killer interest rate so I dont have to rush to sell my books.

I might be a homeowner in the near future.

Cool. Good for you. You're a guy I'm rooting for.

Friendly advice from a fairly recent first-time home buyer- you may still want to have those liquid assets for all the little surprises that spring up with a new house.

Good luck either way.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That was a good article and Galactus venom did look cool.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Friendly advice from a fairly recent first-time home buyer- you may still want to have those liquid assets for all the little surprises that spring up with a new house.

Good luck either way.

Ditto. Also, the folks in DIY can be a useful source of information if you're not handy yourself.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Good luck either way.

To be fair, I've lived in my house almost 20 years and theres "surprises" every 18 months or so like "we used nails instead of screws here.", "you are supposed to take UP the tile spacers before you put italian tile straight over linoleum???" and my favorite "We KNOW there are building standards, we just ignored them."

Good luck Rhyno!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A friend was asking me about Superior Spider-Man the other day, and I said ‘I think SSM killed a random mook because he didn’t know Pete would pull his punches against normal thugs’.

Anyone know when that happened, or if it actually happened? It’s quite possible I’m thinking of an alternate universe Spider-Man.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

A friend was asking me about Superior Spider-Man the other day, and I said ‘I think SSM killed a random mook because he didn’t know Pete would pull his punches against normal thugs’.

Anyone know when that happened, or if it actually happened? It’s quite possible I’m thinking of an alternate universe Spider-Man.

Otto punched Scorpion's jaw off before he realized the extent of his own strength, which led him to reflect on how much Peter had actually been pulling his punches when they fought. He didn't kill him though.

He did kill Massacre, but that was a deliberate decision, not a "didn't know his own strength" accident.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think he also beat Jester and White Rabbit (?) up badlyenough that I'm pretty sure he crippled them both because their pranks reminded him of kids who bullied him in school.

Is there any really good example of a teen superhero comic where a put-upon kid gets powers and decides to use them to pay back everyone who ever picked on them and in so doing becomes the bully? There's an undercurrent of that in Ditko era Spider-Man where Peter would think, "I could show them all!" before the "great responsibility" kicks in; I think there's some of it in the movie Chronicle; any other suggestions?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's kind of there in a few of Mark Millar's stories, especially Wanted.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he also beat Jester and White Rabbit (?) up badly enough that I'm pretty sure he crippled them both because their pranks reminded him of kids who bullied him in school.

I think it was Jester and Screwball.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I just made a handshake deal to sell my entire singles collection instead so looks like this will work out even better than I expected.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he also beat Jester and White Rabbit (?) up badlyenough that I'm pretty sure he crippled them both because their pranks reminded him of kids who bullied him in school.

Is there any really good example of a teen superhero comic where a put-upon kid gets powers and decides to use them to pay back everyone who ever picked on them and in so doing becomes the bully? There's an undercurrent of that in Ditko era Spider-Man where Peter would think, "I could show them all!" before the "great responsibility" kicks in; I think there's some of it in the movie Chronicle; any other suggestions?

There's an element of this in Worm.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but I think Prime goes a bit in that direction as well.

Of course, Kid Miracleman is probably the ultimate form of this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think that's how New Super Man starts out right?

Also don't read Prime. Just don't.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Also, even though he wasn't a teen anymore, the original Mask comic was, "I'm going to become a superhero! ...but first I'm going to get violent revenge on every single person who ever wronged me," which included his 3rd grade teacher.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I think that's how New Super Man starts out right?

No, New Superman starts with him being the bully, after he gets the powers he just turns into a cocky prick who has to learn to be a good person

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

X-O posted:

And in case one of you is thinking "why, is it that bad?" It's because the writer/creator is a pedophile.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

IIRC that was a thing with Hickman's Starbrand. Because the multiverse was collapsing the mechanism that creates a Starbrand screwed up and gave it to a guy with emotional problems who blows up his college and then ends up fighting the Avengers when they show up to find out what happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

And in case one of you is thinking "why, is it that bad?" It's because the writer/creator is a pedophile.

Maybe you could get a copy of Prime and a sharpie and have someone black out the text so you can just look at Breyfogle's art since he just passed away.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC that was a thing with Hickman's Starbrand. Because the multiverse was collapsing the mechanism that creates a Starbrand screwed up and gave it to a guy with emotional problems who blows up his college and then ends up fighting the Avengers when they show up to find out what happened.

You're half right. Hickman's Starbrand was the wrong guy and he was bullied but he didn't blow up the college, at least not of his own free will . It was because the White Event that triggered his transformation/granted him his powers was all hosed up because of Hickman's whole "the universe is broken" plot in Avengers.

He ends up fighting the Avengers because wouldn't you freak out if you woke up in a crater and suddenly Earth's Mightiest Heroes are up in your face clearly thinking you did it on purpose

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Hell, that last part's a standard-issue Marvel origin story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Honestly who hasn't fought the Avengers at this point?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Selachian posted:

Otto punched Scorpion's jaw off before he realized the extent of his own strength, which led him to reflect on how much Peter had actually been pulling his punches when they fought. He didn't kill him though.

He did kill Massacre, but that was a deliberate decision, not a "didn't know his own strength" accident.

Ah thanks, so I had it partially right. That’s actually more grim than what I misremembered.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Maybe you could get a copy of Prime and a sharpie and have someone black out the text so you can just look at Breyfogle's art since he just passed away.
Better yet, get Breyfogle's other work so you don't support the work of a pedophile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not like Jones is going the benefit from anyone buying issues of Prime out of quarter bins.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about the Spider-Man animated series game for the PS1/N64: was its storyline adapted from any comic or was it wholly original? The plot involves Doc Ock teaming up with Carnage to facilitate an invasion of Earth by the symbiotes, who are all portrayed as these shocking pink slime monsters.

I know there's a "Planet of the Symbiotes" story in the comics but I've never read it (and I remember every level of the game had its own comic cover which you could unlock by completing each stage) so I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question about the Spider-Man animated series game for the PS1/N64: was its storyline adapted from any comic or was it wholly original? The plot involves Doc Ock teaming up with Carnage to facilitate an invasion of Earth by the symbiotes, who are all portrayed as these shocking pink slime monsters.

I know there's a "Planet of the Symbiotes" story in the comics but I've never read it (and I remember every level of the game had its own comic cover which you could unlock by completing each stage) so I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

It was an original story.

Planet of the Symbiotes was more a Spider-Man/Scarlet Spider/Venom team-up where the Venom symbiote accidentally summoned its species to Earth. Carnage was there, but as a separate threat, as killing and absorbing symbiotes caused him to grow bigger and stronger to the point that he became Kaiju Kasady by the end of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's an amazing panel in planet of the symbiotes where Ben Reilly and Venom are sitting on the couch eating potato chips and watching TV and MJ is like "Peter, how long are your horrible friends staying over?"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

There's an amazing panel in planet of the symbiotes where Ben Reilly and Venom are sitting on the couch eating potato chips and watching TV and MJ is like "Peter, how long are your horrible friends staying over?"

That's a pretty bad burn on Peter, since one of those people is genetically Peter too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Question IRL posted:

That's a pretty bad burn on Peter, since one of those people is genetically Peter too.

Or IS Peter, until Marvel decided they didn't want people hating then anymore.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Has Meltdown/Boom Boom/Tabitha Smith ever teamed up with Gambit? That feels like a comic that should have happened at some point, preferably post-Nextwave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Has Meltdown/Boom Boom/Tabitha Smith ever teamed up with Gambit? That feels like a comic that should have happened at some point, preferably post-Nextwave

During one X-crossover or another, I'm sure.