Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's clearly euphemistic, i was mainly wondering if there was some kind of specific cultural reference to it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What's with the reference to "almonds" in the early Kiwami 2 quest for the Mahjong parlor guy? Is it an euphimism for drug smuggling?
I would understand bananas and drug smuggling of opium.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm playing all these remakes and these minigames are scavanged from previous games in the series but what minigames were there, originally? I looked at all the gamefaqs guides for PS2 yakuza and I don't think there were any? But the wikia for yakuza 2 mentions minigames but does not tell me what they were. What games had what minigames?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I just blind bought Yakuza 0 for 20 bucks knowing nothing about this series outside of vague "it's good."

Every minute of this is wonderful and I'm only in Chapter 2.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

RevolverDivider posted:

I just blind bought Yakuza 0 for 20 bucks knowing nothing about this series outside of vague "it's good."

Welcome. It only gets better.

Only piece of advice: Explore. Do the side stuff as well. Most of it's a lot of fun, and the rest is still good, just opinions are more divided.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RevolverDivider posted:

Welcome. I started 0 last year and after finishing it, I've gone through Kiwami, 3, 4, and just finished 5 last night. Starting 6 with my wife this week and doubling back to Kiwami 2 after that. It's the best franchise in gaming and while 0 is a top contender for game of the generation, I've been blown away by how much following these characters over the decades has been incredibly emotionally fulfilling.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RevolverDivider posted:

Yak 0 had this thing like The Shield where it felt like every chapter the end of the world was just around the corner

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

RevolverDivider posted:

That is what I thought and then I kept crashing before I could go further. I am not even at the worse bugs that remove your inventory.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I bought it because it got good reviews, I visited Tokyo and Osaka recently and I fancied a crime-y open world game. I'm normally terrible for skipping from game to game and taking ages to complete anything (The Witcher 3 took me a year) but I ploughed through 89 hours of Yakuza 0 in 7 weeks without touching anything else, I felt like I was 13 and playing GTA3 for the first time again. Game loving owns.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

you know, I really appreciate Nishitani as an antagonist. happy to play both sides, and a total nut

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RevolverDivider posted:

If somebody asks you "Black or white". Take Black, both times.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just completed Yakuza 0 with about 40 hours on the clock and somehow managed like, 21% completion. I wasn't necessarily trying to mainline the story, but there were a lot of parts - especially in the last third - where it didn't make any sense, storywise, to slack off and do any of the side activities. I also had a real tough time coming across sidestories despite going out of my way to find them, getting about 1/4 done for each characters, but maybe I completed what was available to me and then due to not spending much time in the open world between stories I didn't get ones that were available later. If that's a thing, that is. I chose not to engage with the erotic stuff or catfights and I tragically never found slot car races, either!

I also completely failed to realise how Kiryu's real estate thing worked until I dicked around for a few minutes in Premium Adventure since I hadn't revisited it for a while, I was waiting the entire time for purchasable properties to be highlighted some way on the map and they just aren't. You just walk up to them and get a prompt if they are :v: I feel stupid.

The combat system is really enjoyable but I was starting to burn out on it towards the end of the game. My favourite style is Rush for Kiryu and Thug for Majima, which transitioned towards Slugger at the end which made boss fights trivial because of hyper armour and bat nunchuck wrecking everyone's poo poo.

What a fantastic story and genuinely lovable characters, though. Nishitani :allears: I can absolutely tell why this series is so adored by its fans and I'm definitely along for the ride once Kiwami 1 and 2 come out for the PC. For now, though, I'll be popping in and out of Premium Adventure from time to time and just polishing up side stories and the management games for a while.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bear in mind the Fist Of The North Star game that comes out today is made by Team RGG (who make Yakuza) and is basically just Yakuza with an anime skin. (Oh, and Kenshiro absolutely HAS killed a man)

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Too many good games here at the end of the year! I managed to finish up Dragon Quest XI tonight to clear the way for FOTNS tomorrow. Of course, it would be the one day this year they actually want me to show up at the office...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

Bear in mind the Fist Of The North Star game that comes out today is made by Team RGG (who make Yakuza) and is basically just Yakuza with an anime skin. (Oh, and Kenshiro absolutely HAS killed a man)

With a Kiryu skin as free DLC, and if you select the Japanese dub, it's the same voice actor for Kenshiro and Kiryu, sooooo.... Fist of the North Star is Yakuza canon, tbh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There was that time a giant fat dude fought Kenshiro, and his fat was so thick that Kenshiro couldn’t hit his pressure points to trigger explosions. He even beat up Kenshiro and made Kenshiro bleed by slamming him to the ground! But then Kenshiro started hitting the guy over and over again until the shockwaves from his punches kept bouncing around the guy’s body and building up until he exploded from shockwaves exiting his body in a volcanic eruption of belly guts

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
The only enemy he hasnt fought is men with guns beyond shotties.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I throw in an endorsement for the final Kiryu fight of Yakuza 5 as one of the best Yakuza moments of all time? The level transitions were really something else, and watching a seemingly throwaway minor character rise up the ranks and be a final boss was honestly something I think the series was long overdue for.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I beat the Albatross challenge (finally.) Do I have to get 300+ again on the advanced golf challenge to get another skill unlock or am I good? I dunno if I have another in me...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My wife has been with me from Yakuza 0 at the end of last year to finally finishing Yakuza 5 just last night, and I've been preparing the ultimate package to psych her the gently caress out about facing the titans of New Japan Pro Wrestling awaiting us in Yakuza 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDjuC5uezKc

I'm just lucky we aren't locking grapples with the Bullet Club.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I can't wait to get to that game in the series and fulfill my dream of hanging out with Toru Yano.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

God I can't wait to get to that game in the series and fulfill my dream of hanging out with Toru Yano.

We cried, at the end of Yakuza 5. And that was before the credits rolled. And then after the credits rolled, and we were a broken, sobbing couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsX1ATcyQxU

I'm from Daniel Bryan's neck of the woods, and lemme tell you, Daniel Bryan is the Kiryu we don't deserve.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Did they translate the Receive You tune in FOTN to English or did they keep it Japanese?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

The enthusiasm for FOTN in this thread infected me, and I have my pre-order being delivered today. Is there a separate thread for that game, or will we be discussing it here?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The game comes with stickers!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Don't forget to get your Kiryu skin for FOTNS!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA12776_00-EX00000000000000

That's the link for NA customers. Apparently, the skin won't be available until October 5th for other regions.

You can change to the Kiryu skin from the options menu before starting the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I looked up the Japanese collector's edition to Fist of the North Star before booting it up and am now sad because they get music DLC of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-POzIrRh0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cVumvzY5c

HEY HEY HEY
HEY HEY HEY

WELCOME TO THIS CRAZY TIME! Kono ikareta jidai e yōkoso
Kimi wa TOUGH BOY, TOUGH BOY, TOUGH BOY, TOUGH BOY

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I hope one day I can be a tough boy on PC :smith:

I just wanna keep burning

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

unl33t posted:

The enthusiasm for FOTN in this thread infected me, and I have my pre-order being delivered today. Is there a separate thread for that game, or will we be discussing it here?

Prob here.

Also

https://twitter.com/yakuzagame/status/1047199540300980225?s=19

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I totally forgot I even ordered FOTN and it showed up on my doorstep.

I appreciate it having an English Dub, but it feels so... strange after being this used to Japanese Ken.

Then I turned it on to Japanese and remembered that yeah, this game is one big excuse to have Kiryu yell and explode people with punches, and I love that something like this exists

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kinda disappointed that it isn’t in the game.

MORE disappointed at the stupid people in that thread who don’t agree

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kiryu ripping off his shirt every time he goes into rage mode is just a special touch.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Taintrunner posted:

Kiryu ripping off his shirt every time he goes into rage mode is just a special touch.

This is anime inspired by the Schwarzenegger era. Kenshiro is contractually obligated to bust out of all jean vests he wears.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
FOTN feels a bit more railroady to me than Yakuza, but up to Chapter 5 already and loving it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

wagnike2 posted:

FOTN feels a bit more railroady to me than Yakuza, but up to Chapter 5 already and loving it.

I know the game supposedly starts opening up after a while, based on all the side activities described in Jim Sterling's video.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so how many qtes are there per average trash fight?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

None if you want, once you get the ability to make people's heads explode just by hitting O

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

QTEs only happen if you want to actually bust out a Hokuto Shinken or a bossfight triggers a mid/end finisher.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

There's an option to automatically pass the secret arts QTEs, although I don't think it applies to boss QTEs.

E: there's also a less gore option. I have no idea what it does because the gore is a third of FotNS point

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's kind of interesting to play this game and see how they adapted the story of Fist of the North Star to the weird Yakuza framework, like they omit things quite a bit, truncate parts for time, or do things in different orders. Meeting Rei after going to Cassandra and rescuing Toki but BEFORE killing Jagi is a weird-rear end choice. And Devil Rebirth being a tournament boss rather than doing anything with the Jackal arc is strange but that fight was okay.

Also yeah wow it takes a long-rear end time for this game to open up! I get that it's technically not a Yakuza game so they have to abide more by Fist of the North Star's pacing but it took until Chapter 5 for them to start doling out the mini-games and side activities.

You can disable them from the Options menu. It's called "Easy Secret Technique Mode." It changes the mechanics of Hokuto Shinken attacks to grant a flat damage increase based upon the technique's star level rather than offering higher buffs for QTE timing, so they act more like Yakuza-style HEAT actions. I think the Tutorial tells you about this. It's pretty useful if you're just chilling out and want to blow up some heads but don't want to time anything.