Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

King Burgundy posted:

I thought I heard recently they delisted things off the service that people had purchased though(unlike on xbox where you still have access to it, they remove it for everyone). That makes them decidedly less pro consumer if you can't rely on your library staying intact.

Turned out the guy switched regions and lost them because one of his titles wasn’t available in the region he switched to or something along those lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Yeah the fact that that one dude losing a movie was newsworthy kind of proves the opposite of what he thinks it does.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red Dead Redemption 2 needs to be out already ooh my god https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgal95AMZ8o

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm fairly certain that some of the re-releases of the Ricky Gervais show that I bought have been pulled. These were compilations from their XFM show.

I don't have the ipod they were stored on and I don't have copies so those are just gone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

I thought I heard recently they delisted things off the service that people had purchased though(unlike on xbox where you still have access to it, they remove it for everyone). That makes them decidedly less pro consumer if you can't rely on your library staying intact.

It's definitely a lovely move but seems to have been the result of someone changing countries and changing their iTunes account's region. Apparently when you do it it's usually not an issue, but legal distribution of movies (including in physical form) is immensely hosed-up (e.g. in Canada there are two different distributors of the French film Amélie, one with no subtitles at all, and one with digital English or Spanish subtitles but it's impossible to turn them off and there's explicit programming in the DVD to ensure the subtitles will cover the image regardless of TV settings), and a few of this person's movies didn't have a corresponding "trade".

I do wonder what happens in Steam if you move somewhere, and your account has a game that is explicitly banned/illegal in the country you're in (e.g. Saints Row IV in Australia, Dead Rising in Germany, Manhunt in New Zealand). Also what happens on Xbox if you change your country? Do you still just have the original versions you paid for (e.g. NA versions of games have English French and Spanish, EU versions have English French German Italian Spanish and other languages), or do they "trade"?

Digital media as a whole is somewhat hosed since physical, to its credit, does give you the power to override some of the things that publishers really don't want (e.g. publishers hate used sales with the fury of a thousand suns since they make no money that way), and physical is subject to market forces that push prices down harder and faster regardless of the publisher's desires, especially in situations like to clear shelf/warehouse space. But you also could have bought a 1080p movie years ago for $5CAD on iTunes and watch it in 4K today so :shrug:

Another bonus with iTunes is that there's readily-available software that lets you decrypt the download versions of movies in whatever resolution you download them in, so I have all of my iTunes stuff backed up in a decrypted way. The gotcha here is that it maxes out at 1080p Dolby 5.1 with a somewhat low bitrate (I think at best the average br for video is 5.5 megabits/sec which isn't good for things like grainy movies at 1080p); 4K, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Atmos are only available when you stream, and it seems that at least some items give you a better bitrate than 5.5 megabits/sec if you stream it instead of downloading it. But my physical media collection is outrageous and some serious Hoarders stuff, just in boxes and randomly strewn about. Probably going to donate a giant batch of it to my local library.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 1, 2018

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I bought Frou Frou’s cover of Holding Out For A Hero on iTunes in about 2006 or whenever and now 10+ years later if I go to that song in my library/purchase history I somehow have the Bonnie Tyler original and my dearest Imogen is nowhere to be found. My purchase was transformed.

I’m pretty sure this happened when they introduced all that cloud matching stuff.

So Apple can suck a dick.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I've never had a problem with Microsoft's music and tv buying services.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The episode of Community I bought in like 2013 is still there, never to be watched again

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

I suspect changing your Microsoft Account from a US account would gently caress a lot of things up. IIRC 4K isn't available at all outside of the US.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

fishmech posted:

Yeah I still have SuperJail season one when I bought it on Xbox 360. Along with season 1 of Stellla. That would have been 2009.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
buying digital movies and music is fun because you're basically making bets on which giant corporate overlord will live forever to enslave us all.

I bet on Amazon, they can send you food.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

buying digital movies and music is fun because you're basically making bets on which giant corporate overlord will live forever to enslave us all.

I bet on Amazon, they can send you food.

I bet on Apple since for the longest time they were the only ones you could actually buy digital media from at all outside of the US. That's slowly changing but even some heavy hitters like Amazon don't sell music or movies in Canada, for example, while Apple is more or less in every country with enough internet for it to be usable and has been for several years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 needs to be out already ooh my god https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgal95AMZ8o

Is online play launching with the game or coming down the pipeline? I haven't seen anything about it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Is online play launching with the game or coming down the pipeline? I haven't seen anything about it.

coming later. Apparently beta in November.

Not unlike the GTA 5 strategy where it launched 2 weeks after the game’s release so reviews gave it a great score since they were for SP only.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hopefully they actually finish it before releasing it this time unlike GTA

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’m not buying rdr2 until we get through this insane marketing hype and we know if it’s actually good

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Open world and cowboy stuff is a double nope for me. Never liked the first.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I saw a short clip of someone playing in the first person mode and it was insane looking.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RDR was one of my fav games ever and I still play GTA online, so it's a no brainer for me, but I'm still a bit worried about it. Not sure about the main character and the amount of micro managing they're teasing looks tedious. And there's no way they'll be able to add new content every other month to online like they do with GTA due to the time period.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I really just want GTA 6.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

RDR was one of my fav games ever and I still play GTA online, so it's a no brainer for me, but I'm still a bit worried about it. Not sure about the main character and the amount of micro managing they're teasing looks tedious. And there's no way they'll be able to add new content every other month to online like they do with GTA due to the time period.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I really just want GTA 6.

I played the poo poo out of San Andreas Multiplayer mod (SA:MP) on the goon server but never got into GTA online because of the endless load screens.

Personally I'm hoping they make Bully 2 next.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

rockstar should make a new midnight club game next imo. forza horizon is great but it has no real competitors (i mean i guess there's the crew but :laffo:) and i'd like to see more games like it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
GTA Online is very fun and honestly it's like, the most perfect freeroam they've ever had in the series or any series that even tries to be the same sort of game. Easy enough to hop into private server so you can just gently caress around with the world and hop back over when you want to mix it up with real people, and all the little quality of life improvements really add up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fishmech posted:

GTA Online is very fun and honestly it's like, the most perfect freeroam they've ever had in the series or any series that even tries to be the same sort of game. Easy enough to hop into private server so you can just gently caress around with the world and hop back over when you want to mix it up with real people, and all the little quality of life improvements really add up.

GTA Online is great, it just took a long time to get to that point. The ability to avoid others, or have private sessions took awhile to be added. The online mode was a huge mess at launch. I really hope Rockstar doesn't repeat these mistakes with RDR2 online. I noticed though that this time in order to handwave away launch day issues, Rockstar is calling RDR2 Online mode, a beta test to start with.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I said come in! posted:

GTA Online is great, it just took a long time to get to that point. The ability to avoid others, or have private sessions took awhile to be added. The online mode was a huge mess at launch. I really hope Rockstar doesn't repeat these mistakes with RDR2 online. I noticed though that this time in order to handwave away launch day issues, Rockstar is calling RDR2 Online mode, a beta test to start with.

Oh it was very easy to avoid others at the start! By the time you loaded in there was only one other person on the server and they'd stay frozen in place until they disconnected.

:v:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

rockstar should make a new midnight club game next imo. forza horizon is great but it has no real competitors (i mean i guess there's the crew but :laffo:) and i'd like to see more games like it.

I know this isn't what you asked for, but since it's a racing game, I want to mention Wreckfest. Judging from videos it actually looks kind of fun (the early access was like "ok, but where's the game?"). It's should be out on consoles in a month or two, iirc.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Amazon in the UK are doing a 12 month EA access pass for £20. That's a pretty decent value.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So I've got a North American 360 with roughly 60 backwards compatible titles. If I buy say an Asian edition Xbox One will the titles still transfer?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fly Ricky posted:

So I've got a North American 360 with roughly 60 backwards compatible titles. If I buy say an Asian edition Xbox One will the titles still transfer?

Region lock doesn't exist on Xbone. Simply sign in with your American Live account and you'll be able to play your American 360 games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Region lock doesn't exist on Xbone. Simply sign in with your American Live account and you'll be able to play your American 360 games.

Correct, with the possible exception of those locked-down Bones they sell officially in mainland China. But even there you can order them online easily. Bones from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, or Japan should be totally fine (I'm assuming if they're officially available in other areas like Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand you'll be similarly OK).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Cool thanks. Asian Xbones don't play Region 1 DVDS do they?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

Cool thanks. Asian Xbones don't play Region 1 DVDS do they?

No, region locking for DVD and Blu-Ray is mandatory for a licensed player. UHD discs have no region coding.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Positive first impressions for AC Odyssey, as someone who loved Origins. I'm surprised at how different it is though, like most I expected it to be iterative but it almost feels like a new franchise. Kinda like how AC Brotherhood looked like it was going to be a quick cash grab then ended up being the best AC for years.

Kassandra is great as a protagonist and not nearly as Xena Warrior Princess-y as I feared.

Some downsides though, swimming feels awful after playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. And it feels like it could be a verrry long, grindy RPG, where I would probably prefer a more focused story. None of the side characters have been very interesting yet either.

Still too early to really judge but good first impressions. Looks/runs great on an X at 1080p.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yo I got an Xbox Game Pass free month trial code that came with my One X when I copped it. I'd have used it but since I was dumb enough to use that free 2 week trial they offered I cheated myself out of being able to use the free month pass lol. I tried using it and the XBone said "Only available to new users." Very interesting business tactic, Microsoft.

It says the pass expired June 30, 2018 but I don't think that's true as it would have allowed me to use it had I not been an existing user.

Somebody try it out and let me know if it still works.

96726-TM237-TRX2P-K4YKJ-KFVWZ

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 3, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Somebody try it out and let me know if it still works.

96726-TM237-TRX2P-K4YKJ-KFVWZ

I claimed this code, going to try out Sea of Thieves. Thank you!

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No problem. I'm just glad someone will be able to gain some use from it! Enjoy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xbox One X with Forza Horizon 4 bundle, acquired!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
GTA Online was great for the first few months until they Care Bear-ed all of the fun out of existence. I look forward to similar shenanigans in RDR2 online. Followed by a sale when they inevitably make it safe for redditors.

Maybe by then BFV will finally be stable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played GTA online when it launched and it was the biggest trash fire I've ever played in my life. Totally non functional. Then I went back and tried it once they got it working and it was just bad versions of standard issue online modes. Bad deathmatch, bad racing etc. I never got why I'd play that over a good shooter or racing game. Then over time it became one of the most loved online games ever and I always meant to go back and check it out again but never got around to it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't like GTA online at first either and there's no doubt it's held together with duct tape and string. The regular co-op updates got really fun though, especially if playing with people you know. I don't really play it as a PvP game at all.

In other news, upgrading my opinon of AC Odyssey to must-buy if you liked Origins. I liked Origins more than most but Odyssey may be better. Better story and protagonist so far (Kassandra obviously, not generic guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

GTA Online was great for the first few months until they Care Bear-ed all of the fun out of existence. I look forward to similar shenanigans in RDR2 online. Followed by a sale when they inevitably make it safe for redditors.

Maybe by then BFV will finally be stable.

Not sure what you mean by this? The majority of recent mission updates take place in free roam so griefing is more satisfying/terrifying than ever. And there are ridiculous sci fi weapons and guns now, including an orbital cannon and a missle-carrying flying motorcycle that almost breaks the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt0aj8c0XgY