Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Brett Kananaugh responded with righteous indignation to accusations that he’s a drunken serial rapist . Which led to accusations that he lacks “judicial temperament.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hihohe posted:

wouldn't that compromise its seal and make whatevers inside not last as long. I guess you could put cellophane over the top.

A piece of tape works too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Obama in 2008 posted:

But in the darkest hours, the people of Berlin kept the flame of hope burning. The people of Berlin refused to give up. And on one fall day, hundreds of thousands of Berliners came here, to the Tiergarten, and heard the city’s mayor implore the world not to give up on freedom. “There is only one possibility,” he said. “For us to stand together united until this battle is won…The people of Berlin have spoken. We have done our duty, and we will keep on doing our duty. People of the world: now do your duty…People of the world, look at Berlin!”

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1. You stick the edge of a butter knife under the edge of the lid, obviously.

2. Going a bit back but the juxtaposition between the two Stiglich cartoons - "politics are just a team sport, and any kind of concern for actual issues means you're not supporting the goddamn team, 'Republican' senator Flake!" and "this nomination is just like the crossing of the Delaware! How dare the democrats oppose it!" is kinda amazing in exposing the sheer inherent hypocrisy. Or, as someone noted a few pages ago, reminding us that no political cartoonist expects the public to remember more than one cartoon at a time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm getting so loving sick of this presumption of innocence whining. If Brett was being presumed guilty he'd be in jail right now, or ideally in stocks in front of the Capitol.

These people are crying because he's being mildly inconvenienced as part of actual due process.
Innocent until proven guilty.

...but that bitch is lying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They now make jar lids that have an outer ring and it magically lets you open them without utensils.

e: Oh they've been around for years. Haven't seen them in shops around here before maybe 2016. https://www.crowncork.com/closures-capping/innovations-closures/orbit-closure

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 3, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Straight up comparing Kavanaugh to God, now.
Bok is usually not this aggressively bad but I guess this poo poo's bringing out the real ugliness our usuals have festering inside.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

I'll admit to being juvenile here, but "boofing" being a term discussed in the mainstream is the one silver lining to this whole mess.

Luckovich hits it out of the park!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"God is a vindictive rear end in a top hat who will kill people who ask critical questions"

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Republicans posted:

If you pierce the top of the lid jars become way easier to open. My dad taught me that with saurkraut jars, which are a bitch and a half to open otherwise.

Just stick the end of a table knife under the rim, jeez. The lid will still work afterwards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God :drat:

Every day is a new horror in this nightmare circus.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Is it me or is Carmen being depicted as the unreasonable one way more often lately? It's been longer than usual since I've last seen her wagging her finger at Winslow with her eyes closed.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

londonarbuckle posted:

Is it me or is Carmen being depicted as the unreasonable one way more often lately? It's been longer than usual since I've last seen her wagging her finger at Winslow with her eyes closed.

I’m sure it’ll turn out that Carmen was right when they uncover a Hillary Clinton’s secret plot to use millennials to kill off things she hahah no there’s no plot it’ll just meander on aimless forever

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall:

Ted Rall posted:

What If White House Reporters Actually Held the President Accountable?

If White House reporters had any self-respect or were oppositional at all, they would fight back against Donald Trump's ruthless mistreatment at press conferences.

Tags: journalism; reporters; journalists; white house press corps; press conference; shtick; rude; Trump; interruptions; dignity; self-respect;

First Dog on the Moon:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
♪ B-E-N-G-H-A-Z-I ♫

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Xander77 posted:

1. You stick the edge of a butter knife under the edge of the lid, obviously.

You can also run some hot water over the lid, that expands it and makes it easier to open.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Bash the jar on the side of the counter shattering it open is the one true method.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Republicans posted:

If you pierce the top of the lid jars become way easier to open. My dad taught me that with saurkraut jars, which are a bitch and a half to open otherwise.

D.N. Nation posted:

Ooh, that's a good one. I bang the handle of a knife against the side of the top to deform it.

Also cutesy Nazis suck, of course

Yeah, I got taught the 'put a dent or two in the side of the lid' trick fairly early on, be it by tapping it against the side of a counter or with a bread knife's handle, and I've never had more than mild difficulty opening even the most stubborn jar.

So..."gently caress you" to that comic, as usual.

Man, I've been saying it out loud in this thread a lot more than usual this last week or so.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Look at my rear end, my rear end is amazing
Give it a lick, oooh it tastes just like crazy

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

"I used to love America" would not be the amazing retort that Rall seems to imagine. Just ask Andrew Cuomo how that would go over.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm getting so loving sick of this presumption of innocence whining. If Brett was being presumed guilty he'd be in jail right now, or ideally in stocks in front of the Capitol.

These people are crying because he's being mildly inconvenienced as part of actual due process.

These loving rich prep-school silver-spoon assholes have never experienced an actual consequence in their life, so having his appointment to the United States Supreme Court slightly delayed feels like the worst thing in the world to them

He's not going to jail, he's not even in danger of losing his job as a federal judge, he's just having to work a little bit for the promotion of a lifetime, and they're acting like he was, I dunno, sent to jail for having a baggie of weed in his pocket during a stop-and-frisk, or killed in the street for selling cigarettes without the proper tax stamps on them

Even if he does lose the seat, which is looking less likely every day, he's not even gonna, like, have trouble getting a table at Republican country clubs. This is the complete opposite of a consequence. And the worst part is, it probably really is the worst thing he's ever experienced.

God these people make me mad

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I try to imagine that nobody supporting Kavanaugh actually watched any of the hearings, because he is very clearly unfit to be a federal judge, let alone a supreme court justice before you even factor in all the rapes he did. Then I remember that millions of people watched Donald Trump conduct himself in public and still decided that making him president would be a good idea. I just have to resign myself to never understanding how the conservative psyche works.

Fulchrum posted:

In the same way the english phrase "I am a New Yorker" means "I am a magazine"

I mean, you could literally translate it as "I am a Berliner," but the way an actual German would say they were from Berlin would be "Ich bin Berliner." Adding the article changes the context in a way that wouldn't be obvious to a non-native speaker, but he did erroneously say he was a jam donut.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

New Ruben Bolling :toot:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, you could literally translate it as "I am a Berliner," but the way an actual German would say they were from Berlin would be "Ich bin Berliner." Adding the article changes the context in a way that wouldn't be obvious to a non-native speaker, but he did erroneously say he was a jam donut.

So it's like him saying "I am the New Yorker"?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

New Ruben Bolling :toot:

I won't say Trump invented the technique of telling transparent lies constantly but he definitely brought it out of dingy bars or whatever and into the mainstream.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's not what actual German-speaking people think, though.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-hole-truth/
https://www.thoughtco.com/jfk-i-am-a-jelly-donut-ich-bin-ein-berliner-3298239

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I try to imagine that nobody supporting Kavanaugh actually watched any of the hearings, because he is very clearly unfit to be a federal judge, let alone a supreme court justice before you even factor in all the rapes he did. Then I remember that millions of people watched Donald Trump conduct himself in public and still decided that making him president would be a good idea. I just have to resign myself to never understanding how the conservative psyche works.

Just think there are people still watching him be a piece of poo poo and still think he's fit to lead.

https://twitter.com/rmayemsinger/st...ingawful.com%2F

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

And then you never get invited to a press conference again. Which might be worth it if you were exposing something important, but losing your access just to humiliate the president is childish self-promotion. No wonder Rall likes the idea.

As for Kavanaugh: some people, like Bok, see righteous indignation. I see Jack Nicholson at the end of A Few Good Men screaming about how he served his country, and maybe some people got hurt along the way but how dare you question the way he does things. Though, as we’ve often observed, conservatives think Jessup was the hero.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It'd be kind of like saying "I am a Danish" to a bunch of Danish people. Everyone knows what you meant, the phrasing is just a little off and could be interpreted like that.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

They now make jar lids that have an outer ring and it magically lets you open them without utensils.

e: Oh they've been around for years. Haven't seen them in shops around here before maybe 2016. https://www.crowncork.com/closures-capping/innovations-closures/orbit-closure

So... Mason jar lids. Been around since 1858.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Glagha posted:

It'd be kind of like saying "I am a Danish" to a bunch of Danish people. Everyone knows what you meant, the phrasing is just a little off and could be interpreted like that.

It's not even a little off.

quote:

A German Grammar Lesson

Hoping to put the misinformation to rest, linguist Jürgen Eichhoff undertook a concise grammatical analysis of Kennedy's statement for the academic journal Monatshefte in 1993. "'Ich bin ein Berliner' is not only correct," Eichhoff concluded, "but the one and only correct way of expressing in German what the president intended to say."

An actual Berliner would say, in proper German, "Ich bin Berliner." But that wouldn't have been the right phrase for Kennedy to use. The addition of the indefinite article "ein" is required, Eichhoff explains, to express a metaphorical identification between subject and predicate. Without this article, the speaker could be interpreted as saying that he is literally a citizen of Berlin, which was obviously not Kennedy's intention.

To give another example, the German sentences "Er ist Politiker" and "Er ist ein Politiker" both mean "He is a politician," but they're understood by German speakers as different statements with different meanings. The first means, more exactly, "He is (literally) a politician." The second means "He is (like) a politician." You would say of a Congressman, for example, "Er ist Politiker." But you would say of an organizationally astute coworker, "Er ist ein Politiker."

So, while the proper way for a Berlin resident to say "I am a Berliner" is "Ich bin Berliner," the proper way for a non-resident to say he's a Berliner in spirit is precisely what Kennedy said: "Ich bin ein Berliner." Though this expression can also be translated as "I am a jelly donut," no adult German speaker could possibly have misunderstood Kennedy's meaning, or regarded it as a mistake.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

It's not even a little off.

In regular day-to-day speak nobody will make a difference between the two, even if there are some subtle grammatical differences. He clearly said it right, but people will still be able to joke about it the same way as if he had said Ich bin ein Hamburger, so arguing about it is incredibly pointless because if you want to make the joke you'll intentionally misunderstand it. source: me, a native speaker.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"Heavenly Body"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grape posted:

Uh yeah kinda? Gorbachev basically decided to acknowledge the Warsaw Pact for what it was, an imperialist protectorate thingy, and stopped actually backing up the Soviet loyal Euro regimes with threat of violence. And boom they all started going down right quick.
Does Lickspillet imagine American commandos parachuted in and sniped the East Bloc politburos lol.

And the Berlin wall litteraly fell because one guard said "what the heck, lets open the gate".

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 3, 2018

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Heavenly Body"

sweet jesus :perfect:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Edit: ahaha, that Kelly is amazing. We all figured he'd do a Burt Reynolds obit, but I was not expecting that.
Jesus

londonarbuckle posted:

I was wondering the same thing when I read those. Did he swap the speech bubbles on accident? The DASGDC is supposed to go the other way!

Also I thought us millenials ate nothing but avocados but somehow we're still killing them. :confused:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

How old are these characters supposed to be? Is Carmen supposed to be a boomer, or too young to be a millennial?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I won't say Trump invented the technique of telling transparent lies constantly

:thejoke:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Zero_Grade posted:

Edit: ahaha, that Kelly is amazing. We all figured he'd do a Burt Reynolds obit, but I was not expecting that.
Jesus
I was wondering the same thing when I read those. Did he swap the speech bubbles on accident? The DASGDC is supposed to go the other way!

Also I thought us millenials ate nothing but avocados but somehow we're still killing them. :confused:
Boomers can't eat guacamole without thinking about those drat millenials, therefore millenials are killing avocados

Hubba-hubba *gulp*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Heavenly Body"

:laffo: