Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
How long have you had it for? Some reviews indicate the cord may fall apart and the lights go out relatively quick (~1yr)

As far as USB devices, just a mouse and headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
4.5 years. I have one of the old red LED only ones. The cord has taken a ton of abuse - it sits on a corner on my desk where it's frequently either dragged a bit or pushed by something, and it still looks brand new. It is a very bulky cord, so I would expect the failures happen when it's forced to do really tight radius turns.

AFAIK the major issues were on some of the early run RGB keyboards, at the time they were much worse than the red ones. I never use the LEDs but they still all work.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 2, 2018

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

K8.0 posted:

AFAIK the major issues were on some of the early run RGB keyboards that had a ton of issues.

Eh, looks like they still haven't fixed the one I was having more than a year ago.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=181332
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181361

If you have CUE or iCUE installed, it's pretty easy to reproduce. I'm really surprised they still haven't fully fixed it. Their HID drivers are pure garbage and cause a lot incompatibility issues.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Constellation I posted:

Do you play games on Steam and occasionally plug in other USB devices? Google "corsair cue steam". Their keyboards are pretty decent, but their software and drivers are awful awful garbage. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need it, but a lot of the keyboard lighting and other features require the software to be installed.

I have a fair amount of corsair things in my case, but I won't buy anything of theirs that requires a corsair developed driver/software.

I bought their first wireless mouse, because hey Corsair is a brand I trust and this looks like a decent product.

It was like I gave my computer cancer and aids.

Despite having a rock solid system for the last 6 months, I instantly started getting random bluescreens and crashes and loving weird behavior after installing the driver, and even uninstalling the driver didn't stop the frequent crashes.

I ended up having to format my hard drive and reload the OS because I couldn't keep my system up for more than an hour or so.

Corsair makes perfectly fine cases and power supplies and speakers, etc, but gently caress anything that makes me download and install anything from their website. I will not go through that poo poo again.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
I'd like a mechanical keyboard as quiet as possible because I'll be using it in the living room.
I'm confused as to what I should go for : cherry brown with orings? Romer-g? Gateron brown? QS1 SteelSeries switches?

I'm in Canada. Ideally, I'd like the option to return the keyboard if I find it too loud. I prefer non-gamey with a few media keys.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Running With Spoons posted:

I'd like a mechanical keyboard as quiet as possible because I'll be using it in the living room.
I'm confused as to what I should go for : cherry brown with orings? Romer-g? Gateron brown? QS1 SteelSeries switches?

I'm in Canada. Ideally, I'd like the option to return the keyboard if I find it too loud. I prefer non-gamey with a few media keys.

I think romer g switches are damped so you could walk into memory express and get a logitech K840

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Browns are not that silent unless you put in a damper o ring. Reds can be pretty silent, again with o rings and if you don't wack the keys really hard. Overall, mechanical keyboards are not quite though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Probably go for Silent switches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOW18xnbvBo

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anything Topre based will be extremely quiet by default, if not the cheapest thing out there.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

redeyes posted:

Browns are not that silent unless you put in a damper o ring. Reds can be pretty silent, again with o rings and if you don't wack the keys really hard. Overall, mechanical keyboards are not quite though.

Yeah, this, but also O-rings only help one side of the equation, which is the downstroke. The upstroke noise can only be lessened by switch silencers or using switches that have rubber on the upper part of the stems like newer silent switches.

If noise really is an issue, I'd just go for a rubber dome chiclet keyboard or something.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Also it'll lessen the clunk but I have a red switch keyboard that's loud because it's basically empty (36 dollar cheapo). I bet if I stuck some fabric or dynamat in it the thing would be more quiet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Line it with lead

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

tater_salad posted:

Also it'll lessen the clunk but I have a red switch keyboard that's loud because it's basically empty (36 dollar cheapo). I bet if I stuck some fabric or dynamat in it the thing would be more quiet.

Yeah, I put a sheet of 2mm craft foam in my k-type and that made it a bit less hollow sounding.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'd like a full-sized wireless keyboard with integrated touchpad. I'm going to be putting an HTPC behind the TV in a bedroom, so I want full keyboard and touchpad control wirelessly when lying in bed. some 12 feet away from the TV/PC.

Would Bluetooth be better than RF for this, and are there any recommendations for such a keyboard? It has to be UK layout and I don't mind spending maybe £80 in it to get a decent quality one.

EDIT: Bought a Logitech k400. Looks basic but should do the job.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 6, 2018

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

I have a 63 key switch tester and Aliaz 60g is the quietest switch I've found.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Scored a set of GMK Laser during the keycap recap that just went on (that somehow nobody around here seemed to mention?). Most of the kits arrived today except Gaijin which is due to arrive on Tuesday, so I slapped it onto my CTRL. Took a little while to configure it, and I'm definitely happy with my purchase now that I'm actually using it. The caps feel great, the switches (even more Dark Yellows) feel fantastic as usual, and it seems superior to the K-Type overall. Certainly a hell of a lot quieter to type on. Writing the QMK to do my layout wasn't agonizing, and worked right on the first try. The only problem I have is that it draws too much power with the LEDs on, so I can't run it through a USB hub. Folks complained about the case not being as dark as the renders, but looking at it for real on my desk, with caps, and with subtle LEDs on, it looks plenty dark for me. Certainly not black, but not blinding like the K-Type with its default, stark-white caps.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Scored a set of GMK Laser during the keycap recap that just went on (that somehow nobody around here seemed to mention?).

I loved mine when it arrived a couple of months back, but GMK Red Samurai kinda stole its thunder for me. Both are awesome colourway's though, even though it took loving forever.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

G-Prime posted:

Scored a set of GMK Laser during the keycap recap that just went on (that somehow nobody around here seemed to mention?). Most of the kits arrived today except Gaijin which is due to arrive on Tuesday, so I slapped it onto my CTRL. Took a little while to configure it, and I'm definitely happy with my purchase now that I'm actually using it. The caps feel great, the switches (even more Dark Yellows) feel fantastic as usual, and it seems superior to the K-Type overall. Certainly a hell of a lot quieter to type on. Writing the QMK to do my layout wasn't agonizing, and worked right on the first try. The only problem I have is that it draws too much power with the LEDs on, so I can't run it through a USB hub. Folks complained about the case not being as dark as the renders, but looking at it for real on my desk, with caps, and with subtle LEDs on, it looks plenty dark for me. Certainly not black, but not blinding like the K-Type with its default, stark-white caps.

That drop was a clusterfuck, some things sold out within 5 minutes. I have the Laser ALT preordered though, which is hotswappable. Might put some Zealios in it or something...

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Some things did. And they initially limited everyone to two kits, including variations within the same set. Within hours, they had bumped it to 3, 5, 10 kits. It was so goddamn bizarre.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
Are there any full size boards that are hot swappable with a solid construction like the CTRL? All I can seem to find is the GMMK which seems to have a weak case on top of the awful master race branding bullshit.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

puppy party posted:

Are there any full size boards that are hot swappable with a solid construction like the CTRL? All I can seem to find is the GMMK which seems to have a weak case on top of the awful master race branding bullshit.

I don’t know of any, but it is super simple to make any board hot swappable for plate mount switches with the max mill sockets.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

puppy party posted:

I wouldn't exactly call the CTRL's construction as solid, but at least it's all metal I guess. It's super light and hollow.

If you don't mind a 96-key (and you shouldn't), then a Kira has hotswappable switches: https://kono.store/products/kira-mechanical-keyboard

Other than that, it'll have to be DIY with soldering interconnect sockets.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
this is an absolute longshot, but do any of the small makers have a 109-key JIS in greens or equivalent, Model M-level clackiness and high activation force? backlighting vital, not permanently Mountain Dew green a plus, the only major maker which combines these seems to be a whingingly-expensive out of production Razer.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Mostly assembled Minidox. I'm still waiting for my laser-cut steel plates ...the first ones were missing screw holes so I'll be waiting another few weeks for properly cut ones before I can solder it all up. I got translucent opal bottom plates in anticipation of some sweet RGB underglow action.

I think I've settled on Gateron Yellows for the build. The Kailh Pro Burgundy springs were kind of heavy at the bottom. I'm also giving up on lubing switches for now, cause even though they sound great, they feel all mushy and lovely.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Mandoric posted:

this is an absolute longshot, but do any of the small makers have a 109-key JIS in greens or equivalent, Model M-level clackiness and high activation force? backlighting vital, not permanently Mountain Dew green a plus, the only major maker which combines these seems to be a whingingly-expensive out of production Razer.

Varmilo have Cherry MX black, silent black, and clear in JIS ISO with basic backlighting and with a bunch of different schemes. https://www.amazon.co.jp/VARMILO/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_3711291051?ie=UTF8&node=3711291051&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=VARMILO

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Megalixir posted:

Varmilo have Cherry MX black, silent black, and clear in JIS ISO with basic backlighting and with a bunch of different schemes. https://www.amazon.co.jp/VARMILO/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_3711291051?ie=UTF8&node=3711291051&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=VARMILO

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely need something more tactile, I'm a keyspammer who tends to accidentally mash anything below blues, but I'll keep an eye on them to see if they do a short run of anything stiffer.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

A few weeks ago I have been asking about advise to buy my first mechanical keyboard. I wanted to go the ANSI US layout route for better programming for the first time even though I'm from Germany, so I bought the GMMK Full-size RGB with Gateron Brown switches. When I got the keyboard I immediately loved its style and its haptics.
But when I used it for some time I noticed that I just couldn't deal with the ANSI QWERTY layout after having used the ISO QWERTZ layout for almost 30 years of my life. I realized how many texts I still write in German and how off it feels for me to use the substitutes to our German 'umlauts' (ae, ue, oe, ss instead of ä ü ö ß). I tried to play around a bit with assigning these keys to unused key combinations but in the end I just decided that I was going to send the keyboard back and find an equivalent ISO QWERTZ keyboard.

So I found the HyperX Alloy Elite RGB gaming keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches and I have to say...it's exactly what I wanted. I like the feedback and sound of the Cherry Browns more than the Gateron Browns and the branding is not as obnoxious as many other keyboards that can be found online. It also has some nice media keys the GMMK didn't have which I actually find useful.
To be quite honest I'm thinking about buying a (less expensive) mechanical keyboard for my work office, too. The difference between typing on my private keyboard and on my rubber dome office just feels so huge...

So thank you guys for recommending me a good keyboard and thus showing me how much fun one can have when typing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks to Rexxed I seem to have fixed my Velocifire TKL01. Just dripped a bit of 70% isopropyl into the problem switches, waited a couple days, and put it back together. So far, so good. Now I’m just waiting a bit to put the screws back in to make sure.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Malefitz posted:

To be quite honest I'm thinking about buying a (less expensive) mechanical keyboard for my work office, too. The difference between typing on my private keyboard and on my rubber dome office just feels so huge...

This Ducky One might be right up your alley, then. Very clean and professional look, practically no visible branding, reputable manufacturer, plus it has volume control keys.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks to Rexxed I seem to have fixed my Velocifire TKL01. Just dripped a bit of 70% isopropyl into the problem switches, waited a couple days, and put it back together. So far, so good. Now I’m just waiting a bit to put the screws back in to make sure.

It'll work fine until after you put it back together. That's just how these things go. Maybe you'll be lucky, though!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This Ducky One might be right up your alley, then. Very clean and professional look, practically no visible branding, reputable manufacturer, plus it has volume control keys.

I like the clean look on that one a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will consider it!

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Finished my Minidox build

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Nice, that looks great!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got my Alt today, my god halo clears are amazing.

It is so nice not bottoming out

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
That looks great!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That does look super nice.

I just got a used Thinkpad T440p and the keyboard is really really good.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Don Lapre posted:

I am so jealous, that is some handsome keys.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Don Lapre posted:

Halo Clears you say...
I'll have to snag some next time Massdrop has a round unless someone else here knows a good place to get them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress you all for getting me into this poo poo. Now I want to pick up another Gateron Brown keyboard and some stiffer springs, and then swap the springs out because I want to see what a heavier board would be like but I don't want to dish out the extra money for high-end switches and I can't find a cheap board with a clear-equivalent anywhere. Even if I don't do that I might end up just buying a single clear switch or try to find a roughly equivalent spring to put on my spacebar.

Are there any old POS keyboards that tend to go cheap with clear switches, or has everyone already caught on to the fact that some POS keyboards used to be mechanical with Cherry switches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

22 Eargesplitten posted:

gently caress you all for getting me into this poo poo. Now I want to pick up another Gateron Brown keyboard and some stiffer springs, and then swap the springs out because I want to see what a heavier board would be like but I don't want to dish out the extra money for high-end switches and I can't find a cheap board with a clear-equivalent anywhere. Even if I don't do that I might end up just buying a single clear switch or try to find a roughly equivalent spring to put on my spacebar.

Are there any old POS keyboards that tend to go cheap with clear switches, or has everyone already caught on to the fact that some POS keyboards used to be mechanical with Cherry switches?

My dude... you can get an awesome keyboard for $75
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-k320-tkl-mechanical-keyboard

Or get an awesom-er keyboard with RGB LEDs for $129.99 (next time it drops)
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-310-nebula-rgb-mechanical-keyboard

I also got Cherry MX browns in both of those. I got the Nebula 320 with Cherry Black switches.
Durgod makes a hell of a keyboard for the money.