Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Anyone know if those David Bowie reissues are any good?

yea they're quite good. I'm in the process of retiring my original copies for the remasters. they sound great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

yea they're quite good. I'm in the process of retiring my original copies for the remasters. they sound great.

I was considering this same thing for a few of my albums starting with Scary Monsters.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Just a heads up to avoid that new aphex twin record. First copy had tons of surface noise even on the lead in, you could see it in rough spots on the disc. They were nice about it and sent another one but it has the same problem with big pops all over the place. Think i'll stick with files and old rave records now, even when they're scuffed and dirty they sound nicer than the loud crackle of a lovely pressing.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Whoever Warp is using has been dropping the ball lately, the last of the Autechre NTS sessions LPs I received was totally warped

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Radio Spiricom posted:

Whoever Warp is using has been dropping the ball lately, the last of the Autechre NTS sessions LPs I received was totally warped

yeah, mine had some pretty bad edge warps, thankfully DNAP but pretty poo poo for the box set.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

Warped Records!!!

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Records manufactured in the designers republic. At least yours sounded okay that set was pretty expensive. The newer ae stuff is kind of what has gotten me to accept digital releases as the new medium.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Reissue of an afro funk monster - disco tinged, afro funk on a really very nicely pressed record.

Bass – Gordon Edwards
Drums – Bernard Purdie
Electric Guitar – Jerry Friedman
Electric Guitar, Producer, Arranged By – Lou Hemsey
Engineer [Recording] – Steve Jerome
Keyboards – Paul Griffin
Vocals, Percussion, Tenor Saxophone, Composed By – Sidiku Buari*

BUY THIS RECORD

late 70s/early 80s funk/disco/boogie/reggae from a Somalian hotel band/orchestra/collective

comp of welsh language psych rock/folk/funk as sampled by dilla and cash money

thou shalt boogie indeed.

absolutely gorgeous brazilian folk/funk reissue. originals start at £200 on discogs, BUY THIS RECORD

re-edits of deep disco/electro from early 80s south africa

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Excellent post above me, some great finds in there and definitely some stuff I have never seen that I want to check out.

I wanted to know what everyone is doing with their VMP subscription this month. I am usually signed up for Rap & Hip-Hop, but I am really familiar with Saba at all. I listened to the album on Spotify and while it was good, I just don't think its necessarily my thing. I switched over to the Classics to get Donald Byrd's Fancy Free since I have really enjoyed the few Donald Byrd albums I have in my collection and this looks to be a great release. I still want to grab a few of the Exclusives that I don't have yet including Goodie Mobb Soul Food, Main Source Breaking Atoms and the other new Donald Byrd Stepping Into Tomorrow. Not gonna lie I would also like the pink Young Thug Beautiful Thugger Girls as well. I don't need to eat right?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I was originally planning on keeping Saba but then I saw JJDOOM finally landed in swaps so I grabbed that. It’s limited to 1,000 so I dunno how much longer it’ll be around for.

I added Essentials this month because I love me some Townes, even if this album is an odd duck out. I do want both Donald Byrd releases, but I’ll probably wait a bit on it. I want to see what the October exclusives are before I pull that trigger.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Finally got my record player set back up, after almost a year without it up and running due to space. Had to sacrifice my massive 90s all in one Panasonic receiver and plug in an old slightly damaged Technics SA-310... but oh my god this sounds so much better. I hear almost zero static pops, even on records that I remember hearing some noise on before. Also went crate digging for the first time in forever! Picked up CHVRCHES - Love is Dead and Hall & Oates - Bigger Than Both of Us, and pre-ordered Minus the Bear - Fair Enough.

Ran out of sleeves so I was about to get some more. I'm concerned about cat hair and dust settling on top of the records so I was looking at getting some more resealable sleeves, but wasn't sure it that would be overkill. With the standard sleeve I worry about dust/hair settling on the top and finding its way in, but if there is a method to prevent this with standard sleeves I'd be interested. Anyone with pets and/or dusty homes have a recommendation? I was looking at either one of these:

Resealable 3mm
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/resealable-3-mil-outer-lp-sleeves-pack-of-50-p/9222.htm

Outer 2.5mm
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-outer-2-5-pack-of-50-p/9224.htm

Edit: Love is Dead is warped. Is it anything to be concerned about, or would being pressed between records on my shelf be enough to control it? Seems to play fine so far.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 1, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Fake James posted:

With the standard sleeve I worry about dust/hair settling on the top and finding its way in, but if there is a method to prevent this with standard sleeves I'd be interested.

Rotate them 90 degrees? I line the openings up anyway (and the inner sleeve :getin:)

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Fake James posted:

Finally got my record player set back up, after almost a year without it up and running due to space. Had to sacrifice my massive 90s all in one Panasonic receiver and plug in an old slightly damaged Technics SA-310... but oh my god this sounds so much better. I hear almost zero static pops, even on records that I remember hearing some noise on before. Also went crate digging for the first time in forever! Picked up CHVRCHES - Love is Dead and Hall & Oates - Bigger Than Both of Us, and pre-ordered Minus the Bear - Fair Enough.

Ran out of sleeves so I was about to get some more. I'm concerned about cat hair and dust settling on top of the records so I was looking at getting some more resealable sleeves, but wasn't sure it that would be overkill. With the standard sleeve I worry about dust/hair settling on the top and finding its way in, but if there is a method to prevent this with standard sleeves I'd be interested. Anyone with pets and/or dusty homes have a recommendation? I was looking at either one of these:

Resealable 3mm
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/resealable-3-mil-outer-lp-sleeves-pack-of-50-p/9222.htm

Outer 2.5mm
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-outer-2-5-pack-of-50-p/9224.htm

Edit: Love is Dead is warped. Is it anything to be concerned about, or would being pressed between records on my shelf be enough to control it? Seems to play fine so far.

I've still not figured out a non frustrating way to make the resealable sleeves work. They definitely keep the dust and cat hair out, but I always end up wrestling with them when trying to get everything back in. Someone please teach me the trick.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Asnorban posted:

I've still not figured out a non frustrating way to make the resealable sleeves work. They definitely keep the dust and cat hair out, but I always end up wrestling with them when trying to get everything back in. Someone please teach me the trick.

The resealable sleeves with the sticky seal are the worst. It's such a pain in the rear end getting them out and in and I'm the guy that is fine with needing to take the whole inner sleeve out to take out the record.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

MrSargent posted:

The resealable sleeves with the sticky seal are the worst. It's such a pain in the rear end getting them out and in and I'm the guy that is fine with needing to take the whole inner sleeve out to take out the record.

Yeah, I had the same issue honestly. The only way I've found to work was to fold the top flap back and pray the sticky side doesn't come in contact with any surfaces. I might just considering use them only for records I know I won't play a whole lot or are very rare and just go for the open 2.5mm sleeves.

wa27 posted:

Rotate them 90 degrees? I line the openings up anyway (and the inner sleeve :getin:)

I will probably just do that, but with the opening on the spine side. Will be easier to wipe or vacuum away anything that accumulates there as well.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
if you're going to get resealable ones make sure they have the adhesive on the main part of the sleeve instead of the flap, otherwise it sticks to everything when you're trying to get things back in. I use the ultimate 2.5 ones you linked and they are fantastic. thick and fairly rigid and they stay clear unlike the cheap ones

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Today's pickup:

It's a club version so no perforations on the back. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Not a mark on it though so I'm happy!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

Today's pickup:

It's a club version so no perforations on the back. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Not a mark on it though so I'm happy!

There are clearly two Marks on that cover.

content
Feb 13, 2014

CPL593H posted:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

:golfclap:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Speaking of Oh, No!, my cousin found these in an antique shop a few months back and got them for me. They're sealed copies of what I guess are sampler records. At first I thought they were made for radio stations but Oh, No has extended versions of the tracks, so that wouldn't make sense. They're cool regardless and I didn't mind dropping $23 on the pair.

Here's something people might be interested in if they don't live near an Ikea: I was at Walmart today and they are clearancing out their knockoff Kallax shelves. At mine they were $50 for the 8 cube (down from $68) and $30 for the 4 cube (down from $38). I can confirm that they're basically the same as Kallax in terms of dimensions and quality.

You can inventory check your local store using these links. If it says limited stock they should still have them. I think it's only the light wood grain that's on sale.
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=40822693
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=40832138

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Happened to check Facebook for any vinyl listings and happened upon an incredible deal for some albums I have been missing from my collection. I got everything below (except the cat) for $30. The Blueprint, The Black Album, and Life Is Good were all still sealed.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

MrSargent posted:

Happened to check Facebook for any vinyl listings and happened upon an incredible deal for some albums I have been missing from my collection. I got everything below (except the cat) for $30. The Blueprint, The Black Album, and Life Is Good were all still sealed.

drat! nice score!

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Audio newb here. My sister has an old hitachi ps-38 record player that I want to hook speakers up to. The speakers in question are these infinity r162 speakers from harmon audio.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html?CJPID=CJ&cjevent=55f38ed0c72a11e8829402140a24060f
Now my question is do I need some amp/preamp thingy to connect all this stuff together? And do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks gents

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You’ll need either a stereo amp that specially has a PHONO input on it, or failing that any stereo amp and a phone stage box that sits between the two. I just have a cheap $30 behringer one personally.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Yeah it's a big mess.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Mystery Steve posted:

Yeah it's a big mess.

I KNOW what you do.

'cause I do it too

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

My bank account hates me with a passion but I did it!

My first Daupe record, and I managed to snag the glow-in-the-dark version which is pretty cool. I was refreshing before 8am (PST) and tried to grab the Japanese Obi version that was limited to 40 but it was gone before I could even check out. I also picked up one of the color variants because they did note that the glow-in-the-dark vinyl has reduced audio quality, so I was going to use it as a decoration piece.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

How big is your house? I'm picturing Scrooge Mcduck's vault but w records.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Hahaha I’m certainly on my way to that. My wife and I just bought our first house last year and have a good amount of space now. The downstairs office is basically my home studio where I store my records and music production equipment and it’s actually not too cluttered. I’ll post a picture later when I get home.

I store my LPs in two Kallax shelves, a 3x3 and a 2x4. Definitely didn’t realize how much I would get into this hobby and should have grabbed the 4x4 one haha. I have storage boxes where I store my 45s but wish they weren’t just stacked on the ground, I’ll figure something out eventually.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

You're probably better as is, I wouldn't trust a fully loaded 4x4 that's not made of solid wood. Just make sure you never move because a solid cube of records feels like it's made of black hole material.

Here's a cool vid about glowy records, I only have Vibert's London is a Country and the sound quality is extremely lousy, looks neat though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HLFDgVKUnE

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

If anyone was interested in that Ghostface album, they have some of the color variants still available and they aren't too expensive. I'm in the U.S. and it ended up being about $30 including shipping.

http://daupe.bandcamp.com

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

I had to report back because my wife says this statement is 100% correct, lol.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Anyone else notice that browsing Discogs has gotten slower and slower recently? It's never been a speedy website, but now it seems to really drag. I hope they don't have to shut down cause they're too popular!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

camoseven posted:

Anyone else notice that browsing Discogs has gotten slower and slower recently? It's never been a speedy website, but now it seems to really drag. I hope they don't have to shut down cause they're too popular!

I haven’t noticed a slowdown and use discogs pretty regularly. I’ll keep an eye out next time I’m browsing though.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

camoseven posted:

I've noticed the collection section is a lot slower since they changed it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

camoseven posted:

It was really slow when I was looking stuff up today.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Catching up on the past month's acquisitions, part the first!

A big pile o' records from Mr Sargent's Labor Day sale. Four LPs and 14 7-inchers.

Bobby Womack - Understanding
The Temptations - Solid Rock
Lionel Hampton - Jam Session in Paris
Santana - Welcome

The Temptations is a Taiwanese bootleg. The jacket is actually two separate sheets, held together by a plastic covering that makes it all one piece... pretty janky, and definitely worth $1. The record is noisy, but I think it just needs a good deep cleaning.

Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Orson Welles - Excerpts from The Begatting of the President promo disc
Beatles - Come Together
Bee Gees - Nights on Broadway

Statler Bros - Flowers on the Wall
Count Bassie, Benny Goodman - 30s recordings
Los Bravos - Black is Black
Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely

Rod Stewart 4-pack - Young Turks, Tonight's the Night, Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?, Passion

Gino Palatino - Vendetta a Parigi

A good little single! It sounds about how the cover art looks, if that makes sense. Solid French pop. I like the B-side a bit more. But the reason I highlight this, is I'd never seen a label like this before.

Rather than the usual paper label, it's stamped into the vinyl, and the blue is painted (inked?) on. Cool!

The Mystery Record... Sarge threw it in for free, because he found a little warp on the outer edge. So what is it? It is a mariachi band. :guitar:

Moving on, Tropical Fuckstorm's A Laughing Death in Meatspace arrived Saturday, and Joyful Noise are pretty cool - they threw in a poster, a CD (not pictured,) and a protective sleeve! More boutique labels would do well to include a protective sleeve with their records. Especially ones that insist on including obi strips.

Slime green splatter, and the flexi is a cover of the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive." Having only heard one track on YT before, I was pleasantly surprised by this band. The record truly does sound like a laughing death in meatspace.

I just love the back cover photo. Great aesthetic all-around on this release. Huzzah!

Since I already have the album downloaded through the label's subscriber service thingy, I don't need this. It's probably good for two downloads. Go for it, you only live once

More to come later this week

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Hey I used that dl code thanks bud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

Catching up on the past month's acquisitions, part the first!

A big pile o' records from Mr Sargent's Labor Day sale. Four LPs and 14 7-inchers.

I'm glad everything arrived safely and hope you enjoy the records! That Beatles "Come Together" 7" was from my personal collection, I just happen to come across a second copy recently. One of my favorite Beatles songs, so I'm glad its going to a good home.

My discogs site is up and running now and I just shipped my second order which is exciting. I am still working on getting more inventory listed, its just hard finding time with my actual job and producing music. I am hoping to have 100+ items listed by the end of the week. I'll post the link below but will be sure to not spam you guys in this thread. If you notice a few records you would like to purchase, please PM me before buying them and I can work out a goon discount for you.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/HundredAcreRecords/profile

In other news, they released the list for RSD Black Friday. I see a couple things I would like including Outkast, Edo g & Pete Rock, and Herbie Hancock, but overall I wasn't too impressed with the releases, especially for hip-hop.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases