Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

[quote="Combat Theory" post="488551936"]
from the same series
/quote]

nerdy grade 8 me had this one of the enterprise in my bedroom

always bugged me that the strut to the port nacelle was some W shape rather than a simple curve like it obviously ought to be. :fishmech:

hell yeah I had this too but forgot about it until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

President Beep posted:

seriously. wtf is up with that?

Who among us hasn't backed a starship into a docking structure

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

from the same series
/quote]

always bugged me that the strut to the port nacelle was some W shape rather than a simple curve like it obviously ought to be. :fishmech:

Wow, that is BULLSHIT

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Peeny Cheez posted:

This Juche Joint Jezebel is coming for your cremation.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

from the same series
/quote]

wow, what a pedo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

seriously. wtf is up with that?

airbrush is an unforgiving medium

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

when i was in junior high school there was a torn up old paperback in the library that was nothing but technical diagrams and descriptions of various components

as i recall chapter 14 was dedicated entirely to the ship's methods of self destruction in emergencies

i still think about that, sometimes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm legitimately amazed that nobody called the cops to report a deranged probably homeless black man yelling insane ramblings on a table at the fancy white people private art school

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
when i was in high school i found an old paperback copy of helter skelter underneath the gym bleachers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

guess i'll xpost this here too

i love the little note in the corner about how it's about the size of the space shuttle, except they don't show an outline of the space shuttle because then it would look less impressive.

also lmao i didn't realize that loving thing was supposed to be SSTO, good luck with that buddy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

wow, what a pedo

sir this is the elon must funy thr - oh wait

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

i love the little note in the corner about how it's about the size of the space shuttle, except they don't show an outline of the space shuttle because then it would look less impressive.

also lmao i didn't realize that loving thing was supposed to be SSTO, good luck with that buddy

isn't it sstm(ars)?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

off the top of my head i can see that they left out a radiation shelter or any mention of shielding

there doesn't appear to be any mention of cooling either. you can't do that through any of the heat shielding because it's... heat shielding, which is why the space shuttle needed to open up its bay doors immediately after reaching orbit.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

there doesn't appear to be any mention of cooling either. you can't do that through any of the heat shielding because it's... heat shielding, which is why the space shuttle needed to open up its bay doors immediately after reaching orbit.

use an airconditioner duh. are you retarted or smth

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

thermal equilibrium in space is really neat and i learned a lot about it when the parker solar probe launched last month. with no convection and no conduction you're basically managing it all through infrared radiation which is a function of temperature to the gd fourth power.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we're gonna need more surface area

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oh ok. just let me get ur mom’s bigass dinner plate.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
space ships is cans with meat in em

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

guess i'll xpost this here too

I'm the mujahid standing guard outside this fortress

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

thermal equilibrium in space is really neat and i learned a lot about it when the parker solar probe launched last month. with no convection and no conduction you're basically managing it all through infrared radiation which is a function of temperature to the gd fourth power.

just use a heat pump and blast it into space :rolleyes:

-teslafan420

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

I'm the mujahid standing guard outside this fortress

thank you for your service

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

space ships is cans with meat in em

canned apes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the picture does say what it's going to do with all the heat:

use it to provide hot water for the showers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

nothing like good old 400 celcius steam to wash away the troubles of your day

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

nothing like good old 400 celcius steam to wash away the troubles of your day

seems preferable to living in the rocket for an entire trip to mars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

i see.

then where does the heat go?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember reading somewhere that an actual mars mission should probably be all women since they have generally slower metabolisms than men and over the course of 3 years or whatever it would make a huge difference but lol at any government actually doing that

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
With all the negative press directed at Musk it's easy to overlook the fact that he's done an incredible job leading Tesla through highly uncertain waters.

Tesla's enemies are everyone from Trump to the incumbent car companies Tesla would have already soundly beaten if they hadn't received a massive bailout.

I think based on this that Tesla's stock is still fairly significantly undervalued. I wouldn't buy it for anything other than a 5-10 year time horizon, during which time I think it will dominate worldwide.

Of course, the enemies will still be able to attack through intellectual property theft, frivolous lawsuits, etc., but Tesla is one of the giants of modern manufacturing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

redleader posted:

With all the negative press directed at Musk it's easy to overlook the fact that he's done an incredible job leading Tesla through highly uncertain waters.

Tesla's enemies are everyone from Trump to the incumbent car companies Tesla would have already soundly beaten if they hadn't received a massive bailout.

I think based on this that Tesla's stock is still fairly significantly undervalued. I wouldn't buy it for anything other than a 5-10 year time horizon, during which time I think it will dominate worldwide.

Of course, the enemies will still be able to attack through intellectual property theft, frivolous lawsuits, etc., but Tesla is one of the giants of modern manufacturing.

sruarc yuor qoutes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i wish i could find a better pic of elong and trump together that didn't have bannon's enormous horrible head in the frame

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

redleader posted:

... but Tesla is one of the giants of modern manufacturing.

:shlick:

Oh wait

Less than half the revenue of Porsche

10% the revenue of BMW

Not even 5% of Toyota

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Combat Theory posted:

10% the revenue of BMW

Not even 5% of Toyota
operates exactly one (1) factory that isnt even producing at the same level it was a decade ago when it made light trucks and crossovers for toyota and gm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

:shlick:

Oh wait

10% the revenue of BMW

Not even 5% of Toyota

and like 1/100th of the manufacturing capability

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

operates exactly one (1) factory that isnt even producing at the same level it was a decade ago when it made light trucks and crossovers for toyota and gm

making less vehicles yes, but also with over 7 times the employees per vehicle made per year

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

making less vehicles yes, but also with over 7 times the employees per vehicle made per year
particularly impressive given that evs have like half the parts that an internal combustion vehicle has so they should much easier and cheaper to manufacture

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wish i could find a better pic of elong and trump together that didn't have bannon's enormous horrible head in the frame

his noggin looks like an old beige garbage bag

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it looks like a sponge that should've been thrown away already

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qirex posted:

I remember reading somewhere that an actual mars mission should probably be all women since they have generally slower metabolisms than men and over the course of 3 years or whatever it would make a huge difference but lol at any government actually doing that

pretty sure that was the same study that used as part of its justification that the crew would b ehaving sex with each other less that way, which seems a bit naive.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

FMguru posted:

particularly impressive given that evs have like half the parts that an internal combustion vehicle has so they should much easier and cheaper to manufacture

To be fair, we have gotten incredibly efficient at producing combustion engines of even the highest complexity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRW_DniO68M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pork skin