Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Big fan of the one character that guy draws in different clothes

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Just started the trial for Case 5 of v3. My guesses are Kokichi and Kaito are both victims, Kaito tried to kill Kokichi and it went wrong and Kokichi crushed them both in the hydraulic press to mess with the survivors. Kokichi isn't really the mastermind, the key card motive was to open the door in the basement which is where he found the Exisal remote.

Kokichi's talent isn't really Ultimate Supreme Leader, it's something really tame like Ultimate Jockey or whatever

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

nishishi

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Well I finished v3 last night. The last case was wild, and I did not see the twist coming at all. Even whilst it was happening I wasn't sure if it was real or not, it was so crazy. Having thought about it a bit, I'm not sure that I like the ending - it's a bit too much like "it was all a dream" as a twist. That being said, the way the second half of the trial played out with you taking control of the different characters to convince them not to vote, and having to let the minigames time out was brilliant, a really clever way of tying together narrative and gameplay in a way you couldn't do outside of a video game, which makes me forgive the twist making the whole story up to that point somewhat less meaningful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dunno where else to post but the venezuelan cyberpunk bartending game is getting a sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85KOAYfObc

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I want to try shibuya420 but spikechunsoft is charging 60 dollara for an 11 year old wii game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

ROFL Octopus posted:

it’s funny seeing that artist’s work outside of danganronpa, like here’s his rendition of the count of monte cristo

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ace Attorney trilogy is coming early next year to PS4/XB1/Switch/Steam

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Playing Banner Saga and got to a bit where I could let people sleep in an old building or camp outside it. Last time I played I camped outside it because it look dangerous and a bunch of people disobeyed me and had a great sleep inside. Everyone was pissed with me, so this time I let people sleep inside and the building collapsed killing them. :smugmrgw:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Playing Banner Saga and got to a bit where I could let people sleep in an old building or camp outside it. Last time I played I camped outside it because it look dangerous and a bunch of people disobeyed me and had a great sleep inside. Everyone was pissed with me, so this time I let people sleep inside and the building collapsed killing them. :smugmrgw:

Pretty much everyone was dead by the end when I played that but I still beat the game I guess cause nothing actually mattered?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

P-Mack posted:

Pretty much everyone was dead by the end when I played that but I still beat the game I guess cause nothing actually mattered?

Yeah there's not a lot of actual downside to it at least in Part 1, not sure if it affects the later games. It does influence gameplay but the game never actually explains it very clearly which sucks. Whenever you get a random pop-up with "War" you get a brief description of enemy forces VS your own. If you outnumber them heavily or vice versa it affects how hard your actual combat is, they just never mention this and it's based on my own observations. The list of commands you can give your army also affects how easy your fight is, the easier a fight you take the more of your soldiers die. Which would then make future War sections harder as you're more likely to be vastly outnumbered. Tbh I still managed to get through most fights okay even on hard mode but the final boss loving sucked. Tbh the main effect you see is a random value slowly decrease and once you realise that it loses a lot of impact I feel.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I just really hate the core combat mechanic of banner saga a lot lol which is a bummer because I generally like VNs. It seems like Pyre is similar but a lot more fun to play in practice

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Does v3 have a box 15 -> box 16 or ikoroshia -> ekoroshia thing? That was always one of my favourite things about the DRs

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ArfJason posted:

Does v3 have a box 15 -> box 16 or ikoroshia -> ekoroshia thing? That was always one of my favourite things about the DRs

yeah

despair searching -> hope searching

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Finished DRv3. That ending was a hoot and a holler, I tell you what.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

drat, every 3DS Ace Attorney game is on sale. I wanted to wait for the Switch trilogy release but this is tempting

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

drat, every 3DS Ace Attorney game is on sale. I wanted to wait for the Switch trilogy release but this is tempting

drat I was waiting for this, I heard spirit of justice was great

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

P-Mack posted:

They went on sale a few months back and the sale ended right when I was about to buy them, I'm surprised they're all on sale again so soon.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

P-Mack posted:

It’s my favorite in the series

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Altogether it's $42 for 6 games (The trilogy, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice), that's a drat good deal

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Spirit of Justice rules so much

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought all of them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I bought all of them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol i'm watching Saw II for the first time and it's insane how derivitave the zero escape series is . Until you get into the insane meta time travel plot stuff it hits like every note of the characters and their relationships and their hidden pasts and poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Lol i'm watching Saw II for the first time and it's insane how derivitave the zero escape series is . Until you get into the insane meta time travel plot stuff it hits like every note of the characters and their relationships and their hidden pasts and poo poo

You should watch Cube and Cube 2 Hypercube

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Yes! Cube is great.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

i started playing 428 shibuya scramble this weekend. it's really good and also really funny. the photos work really well and the first few hours of this game is miles ahead of most VNs. the game is huge web of stories with interlocking coincidences that keep getting better. the only problem is that it's not on a handheld, so i'm forced to play a VN on my sofa, looking at a TV, which sucks.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I started playing 999 again and finished all the endings and I can't even wrap my head around what happened.

think I'm going to look up someone's thesis to explain this poo poo.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

the biggest mystery that wasn't explained is why does everyone call the model-looking belly dancer old and ugly all the time?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sivek posted:

the biggest mystery that wasn't explained is why does everyone call the model-looking belly dancer old and ugly all the time?

she's older than 25

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

started up VLR and these 3d character models are kind of lovely looking.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah VLR/ZTD are much uglier than 999's sweet character portraits and backgrounds but the stories are still cool

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I like VLR’s story even better than 999. ZTD not so much, but there are some really drat cool moments.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

999 was a lot more focused and had the perfect length, which is rare for a v/n.

both extremely badass games though

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Started DR3 and finished the first case

Having the player character be an unreliable narrator killer was cool as gently caress but it's also kind of lame because she was a way better protagonist than either of the first two player characters or the new one. The cast seems to have less super annoying characters than 1-2 so far. I wish I hadn't stumbled onto some vague dr3 spoilers a while back because this one might be the best of the bunch and it was really fun to go through the first two games without having any clue as to what's going to happen next. It took me a long time to figure out how the new hangman game works and the first trials in these games are rough with all the different mini-games and minor differences between games.

They also finally put a text speed option in their visual novel and I'm glad it only took spike chunsoft making a ton of them to finally add one.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I just got a resident evil crank.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I really love the cast of DRV3. Every character is used well for plot or character development and while there’s still a smaller “main cast” among the 16 students, I don’t feel like any character was wasted like previous games.

Post DRV3 Trial 1 spoilers
Shuichi’s honestly probably my favorite character in the series, just stick with him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sivek posted:

Started DR3 and finished the first case

Having the player character be an unreliable narrator killer was cool as gently caress but it's also kind of lame because she was a way better protagonist than either of the first two player characters or the new one. The cast seems to have less super annoying characters than 1-2 so far. I wish I hadn't stumbled onto some vague dr3 spoilers a while back because this one might be the best of the bunch and it was really fun to go through the first two games without having any clue as to what's going to happen next. It took me a long time to figure out how the new hangman game works and the first trials in these games are rough with all the different mini-games and minor differences between games.

They also finally put a text speed option in their visual novel and I'm glad it only took spike chunsoft making a ton of them to finally add one.

I felt pretty similarly but they do a great job feeling like it wasn't a "gotcha" or needless gut punch. DR3 is so much better than 1 or 2 it honestly feels like it was made by different people or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's so good. I've wanted to play it again lately which is an urge I've never felt with VNs. Really hope their next game lives up to it