Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1047866529176584197

Hm...so maybe they won't be the ones saving the day? Or they'll all die horribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Victory of the Daleks is a really good episode but I thought the twist was gonna be way more interesting than it was :\

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chibnall never sounds like he wants to be doing these advertising bits in the way Moffat always was.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

precision posted:

Victory of the Daleks is a really good episode but I thought the twist was gonna be way more interesting than it was :\

Having recently re-watched it, I now believe the episode is 15 minutes too long.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Chibnall never sounds like he wants to be doing these advertising bits in the way Moffat always was.

He does sound like he "gets it" though which is great.

And let's not kid ourselves, he probably has a list a mile long of boxes he wants to tick from when he was a kid, same as Moffat (minus the ones Moffat and RTD already beat him to). Which leads me to wonder, has anyone trawled Chibnall's interviews, Usenet posts, fanzine letters, etc to get any hints as to what he wants to do? Cause Lord knows half the poo poo Moffat did was spelled out in previous works.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Erase Bonnie Langford, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCe3owO7wY

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/dotski_w/status/1047936811002187777?s=21
I too am from Hoodezfield.

(No, seriously, I actually am. Other side of town from her, though. )

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/jameelajamil/status/1047952595950743557
Of course Tahani would know the Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

howe_sam posted:

Of course Tahani would know the Doctor.

Ahahahaha, it really is loving perfect.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I was thinking today about death to the daleks. Not a great serial, think pertwee might be bored my then. Yet it was the only one I owned on vhs for years growing up, so have a soft spot for it.

What I like (or remember liking - it’s been a while) is that the doctor shows he’s clever by solving the magical super alien pyramid rather than just doing a speech. That’s what I’d like . Not that I don’t like the grandiose speeches,...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

It's just Power of the Daleks minus the menace and with weird Churchill worship, but I really love the scene where Matt Smith gets teleported up to their ship.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL

:smug:: "Do you still think you'll be at it when you're 50? Don't you feel a bit silly? It IS a kid's program."

Chris Chibnall, in his head: "I'LL SHOW YOU!"

Talk about getting the last laugh. If that lady is still working in tv they should have her interview him today and play that clip. It'd be better than when Michael Grade ate crow!

Also unironically hoping at least one episode this season is "whodunnit on a space liner." :getin:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was listening to the soundtrack from Day of the Doctor and heard the same song from when 12 breaks the wall. Didn't know they used it so early - it feels so 12 that knowing it actually came earlier feels wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax-RieQ5SrE&t=152s

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Just in time for the new season, I just watched the first episode... of the last season (or series, whatever.)

I was waiting for it to come to netflix and then when it did I started procrastinating on it hard and here we are. I think I'll end up watching the new episodes when they come out and the old ones when I feel like I want more but next week isn't here yet. Hopefully they don't reference the past season too much! I mean, I know that almost never happens, but it would be just my luck.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

I was listening to the soundtrack from Day of the Doctor and heard the same song from when 12 breaks the wall. Didn't know they used it so early - it feels so 12 that knowing it actually came earlier feels wrong.

It's like how the "Doomsday" music is very noticeable in "Rose" on rewatches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u7WpYO93o8&t=185s

Or how the Curator scene uses the music from "Wedding of River Song":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTgKA1CV74

Also, totally unrelated, the Hologram scene in "The Parting of the Ways" is much better scored with the intended music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PToyTMJJTo

"Do that for me, Rose. Have a fantastic life." :cry:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You can hear a tiny snippet of 11’s ‘I am the Doctor’ theme when 10 is running back to the TARDIS on the Ood planet at the start of ‘The End of Time’.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Apropos of nothing. At one time, we had 13 episodes a year plus a Christmas special, although that schedule did need them to double up and record two episodes at the same time. Now we have 10 plus a Christmas special. Is this worth being slightly concerned about?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Aren't episodes officially going to 50 minutes now? That's only 40 minutes shy of 12x45.

I remember when it was a big thing that Last of the Time Lords got extended to 52. Since then, most episodes have been poking at around 45–47.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Apropos of nothing. At one time, we had 13 episodes a year plus a Christmas special, although that schedule did need them to double up and record two episodes at the same time. Now we have 10 plus a Christmas special. Is this worth being slightly concerned about?

Early reviews say that the production values have increased, which might be part of why they have to film fewer. If they can at least stop taking hiatus years, I guess I'm on board.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

Aren't episodes officially going to 50 minutes now? That's only 40 minutes shy of 12x45.

I heard they were going to be a full hour.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Time for the first episode is apparently 63 minutes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Once we deleted the poo poo episodes from the old seasons we were often left with fewer than 10 anyway. Maybe they just saved us the bother and didn't film them.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

CommonShore posted:

Once we deleted the poo poo episodes from the old seasons we were often left with fewer than 10 anyway. Maybe they just saved us the bother and didn't film them.

All the good seasons had at least 20 episodes though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
There's a 13 Twitter emoji now, and it appears any time #DoctorWho is in a tweet. :3:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
10 episodes still seems okay but I'd be worried about it going down further. Doctor Who's a show about going anywhere in time and space, you wanna have enough episodes to get a nice hoparound feel. The shorter 6 and under seasons are better suited for really heavy arc-driven shows.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm cool with ten episodes if it means they've got a handle on production schedules and mean we aren't going to be seeing split seasons and skipped years and people ERASED FROM DOCTOR WHO under Chibbers

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Let's be honest, the only way to run Doctor Who is to have 365 episodes a year, which, thankfully, the cruel tyrant, Nick Briggs, has ensured will happen by hiring all of the actors to ever stop by Doctor Who for an audition and giving them all incredible lunch catering. :v:

More seriously, I think 8-10 episodes is a way better standard than the 13/24 standard, but Doctor Who is definitely the exception that blossoms a little when it's given space. Chibnall is trying to funnel some actual money into concepts, though, it looks like, and is taking a "showrunner" vs. a "head writer" decision, which I get. The rubber masks just aren't going to cut it anymore!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
But I like the rubber masks :(

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

All my love to long ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpbE_sVabI

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Spikeguy posted:

I think my favourite thing about this is the credits at the bottom. “MUSIC BY MURRAY GOLD” is in a larger, brash and shouty font size.

Fits him perfectly.

(I love Murray Gold).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God guys we're getting to watch new Doctor Who soon :neckbeard:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

48 hoursish right? i feel its such a long assssssss weight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

48 hoursish right? i feel its such a long assssssss weight.

Well I mean, it is the longest anybody has EVER had to wait for a new episode of Doctor Who, but every minute brings us closer, closer, closer!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Well I mean, it is the longest anybody has EVER had to wait for a new episode of Doctor Who, but every minute brings us closer, closer, closer!

I'm actually caught in a time loop right now so this actually is the longest anyone has ever had to wait for new Doctor Who.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey folks I'm from the future and the new episode certainly is something let me tell you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm actually caught in a time loop right now so this actually is the longest anyone has ever had to wait for new Doctor Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Quickly! Reenact the exact actions of your timeloop BEFORE it kicks in, and that'll break the loop and then you can go fistfight a cactus!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks to the new day I have to wait until I get home from work on Monday to watch it, truly I will suffer the most of you all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My wife is watching Holby City right now and holy poo poo Paul McGann is elevating this way more than it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Since this is the thread where we say things like this, I just woke up from a dream where I was watching a new extra-long cut of "Genesis of the Daleks" which greatly developed the Thal and Kaled civilians, but also had the Time Lord from the beginning clowning the Doctor by appearing in other scenes in various costumes, including a straight-from-silent-movies giant-moustached banditio.

This means something. This is important.