Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crazypoops posted:

How many years before I'm getting my mcdoubles handed to me by imperial navy officers?

customer service guarantees citizenship unless you're not white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

got any sevens posted:

the worst deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

got any sevens posted:

I would like to know more. I'm white.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazypoops posted:

several people were unable to get to their office cubicle to watch unboxing videos all day

having gone directly from blue collar work to white collar recently it is hilarious how little office people are actually expected to work

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

having gone directly from blue collar work to white collar recently it is hilarious how little office people are actually expected to work

I went from second shift to first shift recently. On second shift there was an expectation to key over 20 orders a night. On first shift they maybe get 10 done. I don't know what the gently caress they do because it's the same job just different work window but they're every bit as bad at it as we assumed they were and it's acceptable and okay. :psyduck:

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

i got paid $10/hr to install drywall in an un-airconditioned building in the middle of summer. about a year later i was getting paid $30/hr to sit and stare at a computer screen. how much you get paid is basically inversely proportional to how much work you actually do

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

This is the jump I'm planning. I'm looking forward to the culture shock.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah lol it's pretty wild

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Accretionist posted:

It's seriously just shooting the poo poo until you can go home.

There's no accountability at all. Unfortunately this also means one day you'll show up and the door will be barricaded and your stuff along with the copper wire will be already sold off.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

I laugh internally at some coworkers with the standing desks because I remember working dinner weekends cooking just on my feet for 9+ hours.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

I laugh internally at some coworkers with the standing desks because I remember working dinner weekends cooking just on my feet for 9+ hours.

i had a desk you could raise up if you wanted in the AF which was cool but i'd actually kill someone if they made me stand at a computer all day that wasn't a register terminal

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Crazypoops posted:

It's seriously just shooting the poo poo until you can go home.

There's no accountability at all. Unfortunately this also means one day you'll show up and the door will be barricaded and your stuff along with the copper wire will be already sold off.

Lucky that gets strongly worded emails sent in my office. God forbid you talk and actually enjoy your day.

And somehow they think taking us from full cubicles to smaller ones with a whole 14 inch wall separating each other is going to make us quieter? I don't get it.

For a capitalism.txt, the hydraulic that keeps my desk chair up at a comfortable level started to go out this time last year. I was told "request one an we will order it" well time passes and I never got a chair. Eventually the thing went out entirely and if I sat down it would go straight to the ground. Stand up and it would sit there for about 10 seconds before popping up with a loud sound effect. This was when I looked into fixing it myself. There were a lot of failed attempts before I gave up and bought a piece of PVC pipe. I sawed the piped in half, glued it together around the chair, taped over it for extra support and my chairs been the right height ever since.

Apparently the issue in the office now is it creaks and grinds and moans which irritates everyone in the place. But the management refuse to order a new one because "we're getting remodeled soon and everyone will get new chairs." The remodel was supposed to happen at the beginning of the summer so I don't expect a new chair anytime soon.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

i had a desk you could raise up if you wanted in the AF which was cool but i'd actually kill someone if they made me stand at a computer all day that wasn't a register terminal

Yeah they can raise or lower theirs it's just funny to me still bc I am grateful I don't need to be doing that poo poo anymore.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1048032401971187714?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Saved you a click: They’ll get the money back from the treasury but it will take a couple of years.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Jon Joe posted:

How the gently caress are people this bad at forecasting, every single time? If you keep noticing you make the same sorts of errors over and over, maybe you should correct for those errors? :thunk:

Nah j/k the forecasters get paid more by predicting unrealistic outcomes.

its not even about getting paid. the obr is an official government body set up by the tories in 2010 to put out reports about how great their fiscal policy is

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This lovely billboard plopped itself near my office:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
hey vasquez! anybody ever mistake you for a man?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

no. how 'bout you?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

how do i get out of this chickenshit outfit?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

HICKS GET OVER HERE

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

How is the company not underwater already?

They very well could be, he was born rich and treated the business like a personal hobby, something he did to feel like he was a real actual businessman. They operated on a subscription model and only sold to large businesses though, so even if they didn't get many new sales coming in the sustained revenue from subscriptions (which ran from $50k per year right up to like $900k a year) was pretty reliable. However I'm sure he was dumping a lot of personal cash into the place too.

The company also "owned" a building on a street corner in a prime part of town that must have been worth a ton, which he intentionally left forever vacant, because it used to be a bar he ran that he loved very much but after shutting it down to renovate the city insisted that he pay to install an elevator for disabled patrons so he just threw up his hands and shuttered the place, but kept paying taxes and utilities and poo poo for literally decades, just so he didn't have to let go of the place since he had lots of fond memories of it.

That bar is also where a lot of employees came from, like the lead developer for years was... the bartender. He had no formal training, his code was always a garbage fire and we finally had to fire him after he completely stopped working whatsoever and instead just got drunk at work all the time. (Last I heard he checked into rehab and was doing better though :3:)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think he just really really wanted friends because of how much his wealth had seriously isolated him tbh. We'd have "teambuilding" events that were literally just things like "go over to his house and drink beers and hang out with him, or take a ride on his :krad: speedboats." Guy was really... something.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, reminds me of my childhood

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

poo poo, reminds me of my childhood

its good you got your midlife crisis out of the way early

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
nah I gotta deal with all the other poo poo now

aka its my parent that had all that poo poo

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Worked at a company once that quietly got a dude to quit without fuss because he literally hadn't done a day's work in nine months and nobody had noticed.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Who was that Anarchist anthropologist who wrote a book about how half or so of jobs in developed countries are meaningsless bullshit? He's probably right.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hmm, I wonder what it would cost to rent near work instead of 20 miles away
[incoherent screaming]

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SplitSoul posted:

Worked at a company once that quietly got a dude to quit without fuss because he literally hadn't done a day's work in nine months and nobody had noticed.

there was an amazing story I read years ago—it may have been a thread on here or it may not have been, I don’t remember—but it was a story of a guy whose company went through a restructuring that included a new HR system and assigning number codes to everybody’s job. he was supposed to be made redundant in the restructuring but somebody had instead accidentally changed his job code to “office safety officer”, except that job only existed on paper, and he was still getting paid, but no longer had anyone to report to. so he kept showing up to work and getting paychecks automatically sent to him and disappeared into the faceless ant-nest of a large corporation for literal years because no one notices one guy and nobody was his boss anymore. I think in the end he actually just quit out of boredom

edit: I found it

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

second edit: reading this again reminds me this is at least partly stdh.txt but w/e

Pirate Radar has issued a correction as of 09:05 on Oct 5, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The story: https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As apology for not refreshing, I offer: another forgotten employee

Part 2

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Grevling posted:

Who was that Anarchist anthropologist who wrote a book about how half or so of jobs in developed countries are meaningsless bullshit? He's probably right.

David Graeber. The book is called Bullshit Jobs. Graeber is a super nice guy in person as well and has some interesting theories.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No he's totally correct. For example you could probably liquidate almost the entire tech industry and nobody would notice the difference as long as most of the cuts weren't in IT and other maintenance stuff.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Miftan posted:

David Graeber. The book is called Bullshit Jobs. Graeber is a super nice guy in person as well and has some interesting theories.

Thanks, that's him. He seems very cool and good, he's a IWW member too.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

In Europe, cashiers have seats.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i made it through 2 pages of this thread before becoming horribly depressed

i think i deserve an award

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Typical Millennial.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You don't deserve anything, you lazy entitled scumbag

You have to work for it, for your entire life, while others profit from your efforts and then, maybe, if your betters deem you worthy, you may get a pittance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Zzulu posted:

You don't deserve anything, you lazy entitled scumbag

You have to work for it, for your entire life, while others profit from your efforts and then, maybe, if your betters deem you worthy, you may get a pittance

well

you have a point