Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nintendo should add the crown powerup to odyssey as a hat in a free update, have it cost an obscene number of coins, and have it do absolutely nothing special when worn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Nevermind, wrong thread.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One of the great things about Spider-Man is that there's a menu option to let you auto-win QTEs.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles and while I'm enjoying it there are two things that are really bothering me.

First is the way that it really tries to sneak anime bullshit into the game. It starts as a fairly well realized anime version of not-World War II with cool 1935 style outfits and scenery but by the half way point any sense of stylistic legitimacy is lost and you're fighting ancient purple haired boob gods with giant arm lasers. I thought the premise, story, and art direction were interesting enough, why do you have to shoe horn the rest of this poo poo in? I wouldn't mind if it was right there on the box but it's not and it's really disappointing when it starts.

My other gripe is when Japanese developers take otherwise solid or even excellent tactics games and turn the entire idea of tactics as a fluid and complex expression of problem solving into a puzzle that has to be solved in an optimized fashion. It feels like loving math homework; on the harder missions there's usually only one strategy that will actually carry you to the end and on easier missions you're punished with reduced rewards for winning in a suboptimal fashion, like not thinking to chain command your best hero in an extremely specific way to finish in 6 turns instead of 7. They give you loving letter grades! It feels like Japanese developers have an intense fear of players experiencing a game in the "wrong" way.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Oct 4, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The pricing on all gacha games is ridiculous. Sometimes I'll think "you know, I'm getting hours and hours out of this game so it wouldn't hurt to drop a little money on it" and then I go and look at the price and it's literally like 20x what I'd consider paying. It's not that I couldn't afford it, it's just that I have much better ways to blow $40 than on a draw that will be over in 10 seconds and probably contain nothing good.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Moon Monster posted:

The pricing on all gacha games is ridiculous. Sometimes I'll think "you know, I'm getting hours and hours out of this game so it wouldn't hurt to drop a little money on it" and then I go and look at the price and it's literally like 20x what I'd consider paying. It's not that I couldn't afford it, it's just that I have much better ways to blow $40 than on a draw that will be over in 10 seconds and probably contain nothing good.

the whole racket is garbage and i'm glad belgium is going after that poo poo. someone's gotta!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Moon Monster posted:

Sometimes I'll think "you know, I'm getting hours and hours out of this game so it wouldn't hurt to drop a little money on it" and then I go and look at the price and it's literally like 20x what I'd consider paying.

This is why cosmetics are king for this sorta thing, "Oh this new look for my favorite dude is pretty cool, sure I've gotten :10bux: out of this game" sells a lot better to most normal people, so it's a tear between do you want to hope for brokebrained whales with gambling addictions to catch on to your game or do you have enough faith in your art team to make waifu and cool skins that'll sell.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Going from Yakuza 0 to Kiwami is a harsh experience. Your fighting styles are pared way down at the start and enemies are sacks of HP, particularly the first real boss (Chapter 3). I can't be sure how much of that is going from fully powered 0 endgame to the start of a new one and how much is just remnants of PS2 game design. Was I supposed to run up and down Tenkaichi Street to grind out a few more abilities before Chapter 3, or what?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

Going from Yakuza 0 to Kiwami is a harsh experience. Your fighting styles are pared way down at the start and enemies are sacks of HP, particularly the first real boss (Chapter 3). I can't be sure how much of that is going from fully powered 0 endgame to the start of a new one and how much is just remnants of PS2 game design. Was I supposed to run up and down Tenkaichi Street to grind out a few more abilities before Chapter 3, or what?

I love Yakuza games and gave up on Kiwami. They left too much PS2 game design in.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Yardbomb posted:

This is why cosmetics are king for this sorta thing, "Oh this new look for my favorite dude is pretty cool, sure I've gotten :10bux: out of this game" sells a lot better to most normal people, so it's a tear between do you want to hope for brokebrained whales with gambling addictions to catch on to your game or do you have enough faith in your art team to make waifu and cool skins that'll sell.

Path of Exile is still the undisputed king of being good about this poo poo. The game's 99.5% free- if you want to actually get seriously into it, there's about ten bucks worth of QOL poo poo that is pretty much mandatory at this point, but you never need to actually put in any money. And there's a bunch of levels of throwing money at the dev, but they're explicitly referred to as 'supporter packs' which directly ties the purchase back to the fact that the game is otherwise free for everyone else.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Somfin posted:

So as someone who is making a game, would y'all prefer a damage per standard hit number and perhaps a training dummy that can report your actual in-anger DPS?

Sorry if this is a few pages old, but I'd like to keep poo poo-talking displaying DPS in video games.

I feel like showing DPS instead of stats (attack, speed, etc.) could work, but the problem is that even if it's done well (and I don't think I've ever seen it done well), it makes one aspect of the game too simple because instead of having to think about the advantages of a faster but weaker weapon compared to a slower but more powerful one, you're lead into just using the highest number possible. I think it works in MMOs because attacks are pretty much never interrupted and criticals usually work as a random chance, so DPS is an actually useful stat as your character really is dealing a set amount of damage per second. The problem outside of MMOs is that a lot of factors that are ignored in DPS get important, like AoE, interrupted animations, blocked attacks, etc. A weak but quick weapon is super useful against many weak enemies because you can switch targets more easily, whereas a slower, stronger weapon would "waste" its damage on a powerful hit against only one enemy, and the DPS stat doesn't show that.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most in Dead Cells is that the way stats are displayed is all over the place. For starters, main weapons' stats are displayed in DPS, but items, like grenades, in base damage, unless there's a DoT effect, then it's back to DPS. Main weapons show 2 DPS numbers that represent regular and critical hits which is already annoying because I think that "DPS" should include the odds of scoring a crit, but is even more annoying because criticals hit are different between weapons. Some weapons score a critial hit every 3rd/5th/whateverth hit, so some kind of single, universal DPS that factors in crits would be helpful, but other weapons score crits every time you hit an enemy from the back or against a wall, so the 2 separate numbers make sense, but this also means that it's completely useless in comparing 2 different weapons.

The short version of what I'm saying is do whatever makes actual sense and is useful.

I personally LOVE training dummies to compare weapons, but I know they're divisive.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kiwami‘s definitely asking a lot more of you when it comes to attack power than 0 or Kiwami 2. I really didn’t like the “use a heat action with a matching aura” system, but if you’re prepped for it the heat moves do an enormous amount of damage. It’s like one system out of many, but if you botch it (which is real easy to do) it makes every fight significantly more tedious.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Dewgy posted:

Kiwami‘s definitely asking a lot more of you when it comes to attack power than 0 or Kiwami 2. I really didn’t like the “use a heat action with a matching aura” system, but if you’re prepped for it the heat moves do an enormous amount of damage. It’s like one system out of many, but if you botch it (which is real easy to do) it makes every fight significantly more tedious.

I forget which one it is, but there is a specific ability that gives you heat when dodging attacks in Rush mode. If you get that, then the game becomes loving broken as multiple short dodges from the same attack results in more heat given to you. Dodge a bunch of attacks, then come in with the finisher. It makes all of Majima's fights trivial to the point where I could finally start working on focusing my reaction speeds while fighting him.

On a side note, I've been playing through Curse of Monkey Island on a lark, and good god, Guybrush walks like a freakin' manatee. Pick up the pace, Guybrush, some of us have increasingly unlikely item combinations to try out!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Continuing my God of War playthrough and I've moved onto Ascension and it's just blah. Both 1 and 2 I would say are probably better games than this one has been so far.

I think the biggest problem is camera angles. It seems like they want to emphasize that there's big cool stuff in the background but that means there's been a lot of times where Kratos is very tiny on the screen fighting other very tiny guys and I can't tell who is who.

The Rage of the Gods/Titans change is bad as well. In the others it was a static bar that charges and you go Super Saiyan. This one it's a bar that charges when you do good in combat and goes down when you get hit or stunlocked. Seeing as I'm a bad I don't really get to use that feature much.

Edit: combat seems way easier this time around too with me only dying in combat once and the rest have been failing insta death QTEs

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd really like MGSV to finish. I've killed the main bad guy, destroyed Snuffleupagus the Not-Metal Gear, and the game keeps making me retread the same stuff. There needs to be at least another area to keep things interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cool game. There's these statue guys that go super Saiyan and when you attack them Kratos gets stunned. As far as I can tell there's no way to make that aura disappear and you just have to wait it out. Super rad.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love Yakuza games and gave up on Kiwami. They left too much PS2 game design in.
Generally speaking, the PS2 version of Yakuza 1 is much less of a pain in the rear end than Kiwami. The Kiwami devs decided to add multiple stages to every tedious fetch quest, made every boss fight a gigantic slog (on the PS2, you can beat Shimano in less than 30 seconds, and barely any bosses have multiple health bars), forced you to grind Majima fights and coliseum tournaments for 20 hours if you wanted to make the Dragon fighting style (you know, Kiryu's trademark style from the original game and most of the series) halfway decent, and so on and so forth.

Yakuza 1 had some problems and general jankiness the sequels would iron out, but aside from one very specific section (the rail shooter bit in chapter 9, which isn't good in either version but is borderline unplayable on the PS2) I'd rather play the original than Kiwami. It's a shame the PS3 HD edition of Yakuza 1 & 2 was never released outside Japan, because that fixed a lot of the issues the original releases had.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

I'd really like MGSV to finish. I've killed the main bad guy, destroyed Snuffleupagus the Not-Metal Gear, and the game keeps making me retread the same stuff. There needs to be at least another area to keep things interesting.
Everyone else would like it to finish too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Len posted:

Continuing my God of War playthrough and I've moved onto Ascension and it's just blah. Both 1 and 2 I would say are probably better games than this one has been so far.

I think the biggest problem is camera angles. It seems like they want to emphasize that there's big cool stuff in the background but that means there's been a lot of times where Kratos is very tiny on the screen fighting other very tiny guys and I can't tell who is who.

The Rage of the Gods/Titans change is bad as well. In the others it was a static bar that charges and you go Super Saiyan. This one it's a bar that charges when you do good in combat and goes down when you get hit or stunlocked. Seeing as I'm a bad I don't really get to use that feature much.

Edit: combat seems way easier this time around too with me only dying in combat once and the rest have been failing insta death QTEs

Ascension is the game were they decided to mix things up and instead hosed them up incredibly. The block is slower and sometimes just doesn't work, you've seen the things with Rage, the elements are completely useless (for example, if you freeze an enemy, the ice statue has more health than the enemy did), and they ditched having alternate weapons for the "world weapons", and then nerfed their damage so hard they're also useless unless you've got the shield and do a glitch.

Also it's glitched out the butthole, the plot is overly complex while also retconning poo poo for the worse, and they spent all their development time on the multiplayer mode which is why singleplayer is such junk.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Oct 6, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've mostly just been using the Hades power because the little souls seem to occupy the baddies.

World weapons are okay with the throw away abilities but the actual circle button attacks are bad.

The multiplayer apparently has some pvevp content which is probably fun for a laugh but it seemed dead as poo poo when 8 tried to find a game.

I really need to make that games thread about playing old games with coop campaigns someday.

Which is another thing dragging games down. Resistance 2, Syndicate, Dead Space 3. All have coop campaigns with exclusive content/entirely different stories and I never got to play them. I think the servers for Resistance 2 are down so that's just gone forever while the other two are just absolutely dead because they were games that came out years ago and were just okay.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You could probably convince one or more goons to do Syndicate and Dead Space co-op.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I had a working gaming PC I’d be so down for syndicate co-op. I loved the bit I played of that campaign.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 4, please stop flooding my Sim's wants with giving away apartment keys. Every third desire is giving away apartment keys. How am I supposed to bang all my neighbors in the privacy of my apartment if I'm giving away keys to everyone?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The Taskmaster challenges are just too drat hard to get a gold/3 token win on. Seriously, you have to be loving perfect.

And beyond that, the stealth ones are a huge pain my rear end right now because I'm used to the Arkham games stealth combat which is LEAGUES ahead of Spider-Man, who has all of two stealth moves...he has a regular Stealth Takedown where you get behind a guy and hit Square when the prompt shows up...and he has a Perch Takedown, which is essentially the same as the Inverted Takedown in the Arkham games where you string someone up when you're above them.

The problem with the Spider-Man takedowns is that you have to get way too close before you get the prompt to hit square for a silent takedown...and if you hit square a loving half second too early, you just punch the guy and instantly fail the stealth challenge. And the guys love to just ever so slightly move at the last second when you DID have the prompt, but then it vanishes right before you hit it so you fail.

And there's an upgrade you can get for your suit for a special (temp) ability that makes it so guards can't alert each other of they see you...except that I guess it doesn't work in the stealth challenges because even if it's active, if I get seen or am in a line of sight of a sniper, it's an inst-fail.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

You could probably convince one or more goons to do Syndicate and Dead Space co-op.
Still can't buy that in Australia :v: :australia:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Taskmaster challenges are just too drat hard to get a gold/3 token win on. Seriously, you have to be loving perfect.

And beyond that, the stealth ones are a huge pain my rear end right now because I'm used to the Arkham games stealth combat which is LEAGUES ahead of Spider-Man, who has all of two stealth moves...he has a regular Stealth Takedown where you get behind a guy and hit Square when the prompt shows up...and he has a Perch Takedown, which is essentially the same as the Inverted Takedown in the Arkham games where you string someone up when you're above them.

The problem with the Spider-Man takedowns is that you have to get way too close before you get the prompt to hit square for a silent takedown...and if you hit square a loving half second too early, you just punch the guy and instantly fail the stealth challenge. And the guys love to just ever so slightly move at the last second when you DID have the prompt, but then it vanishes right before you hit it so you fail.

And there's an upgrade you can get for your suit for a special (temp) ability that makes it so guards can't alert each other of they see you...except that I guess it doesn't work in the stealth challenges because even if it's active, if I get seen or am in a line of sight of a sniper, it's an inst-fail.

What are you talking about. If you hit triangle spiderman webs to them and knocks them out silently. I've taken out entire bases by zipping by fist to enemy heads, knocking enemies out on opposing sides of the map before they even realize what's flying towards them. Spiderman even does it if you can't see the enemy, so when my spider sense is going off I just run in a circle pressing triangle and eventually he zips to someone offscreen and punches their lights out immediately.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Morpheus posted:

What are you talking about. If you hit triangle spiderman webs to them and knocks them out silently. I've taken out entire bases by zipping by fist to enemy heads, knocking enemies out on opposing sides of the map before they even realize what's flying towards them. Spiderman even does it if you can't see the enemy, so when my spider sense is going off I just run in a circle pressing triangle and eventually he zips to someone offscreen and punches their lights out immediately.

Huh...I assumed that triangle take down would be too loud and alert the other guards. I'll give it a shot.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
e: ^^ The only time noise ever matters is in the MJ/Miles stealth sections. All that matters is if enemies are flagged as "Danger" when you take them out.

Yeah stealth is stupid in Spider-Man because web takedowns are insanely free.

Predator challenges in Arkham games are definitely a bit more nuanced and fun, I will grant that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

try using your gadgets, web mines are obviously sick for stealth but you can also impact web guys onto walls

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Why would anyone name a place Vice City? It just dosen't make sense.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's not Vice like drug addiction, it's Vice like President, duh.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

One of the great things about Spider-Man is that there's a menu option to let you auto-win QTEs.

Ninja Blade isn't that great of a game, but it does this too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Len posted:

Which is another thing dragging games down. Resistance 2, Syndicate, Dead Space 3. All have coop campaigns with exclusive content/entirely different stories and I never got to play them. I think the servers for Resistance 2 are down so that's just gone forever while the other two are just absolutely dead because they were games that came out years ago and were just okay.

Yeah, the servers for R2 are down. That really fucks with it because it's really meant to be 8-player co-op. You can try split-screen co-op offline but that's limited to 2-player, if I'm remembering correctly, and that blows because to be really effective you need 1 of all 3 classes, Soldiers, Medic, and Spec-Ops. You can't really play without a Medic because otherwise you can't heal. So if you're a medic/soldier combo, it takes forever to kill enemies because soldiers are really meant to act as tanks. If you play a medic/spec-op combo, you're going to get killed the moment the Chimera swarm your position. It's too bad, because otherwise it was fun as hell.

The co-op story is pretty throw away. It's some fluff text you unlock about various SRPA missions that took place concurrent to the single-player campaign.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
No wait, misremembering... Soldiers have a minigun AND a shield, so they are good at taking and giving damage. Spec-Ops are critical because they're the ammo drops. If you want more bullets and grenades they're essential.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doc M posted:

The Kiwami devs decided to add multiple stages to every tedious fetch quest
"Oh, that's why the Before I Play wiki says to buy dog food ASAP, got it, cool."
*a minute later* "for gently caress sake"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DQ11

This is a problem that only I must have, because I'm lousy even with the one language I speak. So they play around with accents in this game a lot and most of the voice acting is saved for the story cutscenes. So when I get to the place where everyone's extremely French I can barely tell what any of this stuff is supposed to say because I am extremely bad with accents and such. I don't really know how umlauts are pronounced off the top of my head, for example.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen every town now and I haven't heard a Cajun accent anywhere so that's a shame.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brother Entropy posted:

try using your gadgets, web mines are obviously sick for stealth but you can also impact web guys onto walls

Web mines rule because you can stick them to an enemy and have them get webbed to another enemy. Two birds with one stone!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I try not to hold glitches against a game too hard as something 'dragging it down'. They're a different sort of problem, something wrong rather than something badly designed. A slight fuckup is different from a problem there by design. But Final Fantasy XV has a glitch that shows a problem in the actual company's approach, and I think that counts.

There's a part somewhere around the one-third mark of the game where you're sneaking through an Imperial base, following the commander to watch for an opening to capture him. For most of the game's life that whole section of the quest was basically a footnote, because it's an easy as hell stealth section that effectively acts as an introduction to one of the game's more memorable boss fights.

Last month or so, the PC version of the game added Dark Souls-style online functionality. Mostly just seeing glimpses of other payers and what they were doing, and leaving photos around for other people to see, it's fairly non-intrusive.

PROBLEM: If you have that online functionality in place during this stealth section, the game WILL crash. This is non-negotiable, and unavoidable; for some reason, the game consistently crashes if the online stuff is going and that mission either gets to a certain point or lasts a certain amount of time, I couldn't tell which. You literally cannot complete this section without forcibly halting the online functionality, most likely through disconnecting from the internet.

This is a compulsory quest; you have to do it to progress in the game. If literally anybody at Square-Enix were to test the online functionality and go through the game with it, they would have seen this bug, so the fact it's there means that they didn't. And of course because this was an update to a game that's been out for a couple years, there isn't an influx of players hitting this bug and making it loud, so chances are it won't get fixed very quickly, if at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Sideway New York has a similar problem where the longer levels have been known to crash and they never fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You pig fucker God of War Ascension. I was 160 orbs away from maxing out everything so I figured I'd start a new game plus get the orbs get the trophy move on with my day.

It goes "you sure you want to do this? It will delete your progress" and I say yes. Then I pick a skin for Kratos and hit the go button.

That's when it pops up a thing that says "trophies are not obtainable in ng+"