Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Attestant posted:

I was trying real hard not to say anything. :allears:

I'm kind of glad I did a lot of the side content before this point. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know if it's my game, the ps3, or a combination of the two but God of War 2 keeps locking up.

It could also be the infinite magic and rage mode letting me infinitely spam magic too though. Pretty sure I had a 2000 hit combo last time

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Samuringa posted:

He got bad days too

There's also this one bit during Siege - the event where Norman Osborn decides to take down Asgard - where he is freaking the gently caress out because just the idea of it is completely above his pay grade and, as a lower level mook, he knows he'll be the first one to get vaporized.

Loving Stilt-Man(lady?) in the background there getting clowned by spidey

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Basically Taskmaster is the equivalent of Mr Krabs and just loves money to the point that it overrides his normally good sense.

I get the sense he could probably easily go straight, or even get amnesty for joining a hero team and providing training services, but villains keep (somehow) paying better and he just loves money so much.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I always like the here and there comics that make Taskmaster out to be a pretty drat strong villain in truth, it's just that he often doesn't have any great motivation to go kill a hero, he gets rid of X or Y, that's one less goody two shoes for all the B-list villain marks to play nemesis with and pay him to train their little private goon squads to make a fight look good against. Like when he's not half-assing, the guy really just has to get a good bead on you and he can, with quite a bit of accuracy, swipe your moves and even mimic some of your power, athleticism or guile he wouldn't normally have. Taskmaster could tear some people up, but that's not where the dough is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't there a villain that was just water? From the 90s show I seem to remember him trying to body slam spiderman, missing and splashing himself everywhere so he couldn't reconstitute. Spidey says he'll come back one day, after he evaporates and reforms in the clouds lol
That'd be, you'll not be surprised to learn, Hydro-Man.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

CordlessPen posted:

I don't like a trend that I think I'm noticing where games, mostly loot-based games, will indicate damage in DPS rather than some kind of attack rating or hit point. I get that they're trying to be helpful and not make it seem like faster weapons are poo poo, but knowing the base damage is so much more useful than having the DPS calculated for you that I really wonder why they bother. Like, a slow but powerful weapon could have the same DPS as a faster one, but the fact that the first attack would kill in one hit makes a world of difference. It's also not clear what formula they use when calculating DPS as it varies in every game.

I think the most annoying place I've seen it is in Dead Cells, because not only is it not helpful for the usual reasons, the weapons show a second, higher number that indicates the damage a weapon does on a critical hit. Thing is, criticals aren't random, they're actually pretty easy to control (a bunch of them is just "every Xth hit is a crit", sometimes it's hits against a wall, timed hits, etc.), so the game tells you the DPS of just regular attacks and the DPS of just critical attacks, but it means squat in actual use because it doesn't take into account how often criticals happen.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but if the game gave me a base number for damage and criticals, I could work the rest after just a bit of use, but because it tells me the DPS of each kind of hit, I have to "undo" that formula and guesstimate how much damage a weapon would actually do considering that every third hit is a guaranteed critical.

Assassin's Creed: Origins does this and I have no idea why. DPS isn't a good metric in games like this. AC:O is different in that it does tell you the damage values of your weapons...after you equip them, at the bottom of the screen. When actually scrolling through weapons, all you get is DPS.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'll take DPS over "Attack Speed: Fast" any day.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh my god, thank you for posting this. The thought that Stilt-Man is somehow still relevant enough for them to decide 'Stilt-Man but girl' was a rad new take on the character to keep them around is just putting such a big smile on my face. :allears:

Do you know who that dork on Deadpool's left is in the second panel?

Yardbomb posted:

I always like the here and there comics that make Taskmaster out to be a pretty drat strong villain in truth, it's just that he often doesn't have any great motivation to go kill a hero, he gets rid of X or Y, that's one less goody two shoes for all the B-list villain marks to play nemesis with and pay him to train their little private goon squads to make a fight look good against. Like when he's not half-assing, the guy really just has to get a good bead on you and he can, with quite a bit of accuracy, swipe your moves and even mimic some of your power, athleticism or guile he wouldn't normally have. Taskmaster could tear some people up, but that's not where the dough is.

Taskmaster could change the world in incredible ways but he has just enough common sense to know that killing heroes willy-nilly will have terrible consequences. He's basically applying the same, 'Don't do anything drastic, you have no idea how that could affect the rest of the world' stance that people usually do with time travel.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Pretty sure that's Trapster.

He's really into glue.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kitfox88 posted:

Loving Stilt-Man(lady?) in the background there getting clowned by spidey

RareAcumen posted:

Oh my god, thank you for posting this. The thought that Stilt-Man is somehow still relevant enough for them to decide 'Stilt-Man but girl' was a rad new take on the character to keep them around is just putting such a big smile on my face. :allears:

I didn't expect people to actually be interested in the Z-listers, but here is the introduction sequence

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I love low grade heroes/villains a ton, yeah. :allears: Also love Spidey and Deadpool team-ups because they're a bickering old couple.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

im the word 'exhilerating'

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
I've been playing through Mother 3 and the thing dragging it down are some of the bosses are outright brutal. Like the shield trio and their bullshit PSI magic attacks and then the boss right after is defeated simply by just battering him (While trying to get the beat of that damned song down)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Piell posted:

I'll take DPS over "Attack Speed: Fast" any day.

Ideally games should just list both or find some other way to communicate that fast attacking daggers are not actually garbage compared to heavy two-handed axes and vice versa.

I seem to recall Hellgate London having the problem of just slapping a big unlabeled number on gear, which I think was supposed to be DPS maybe, but like a lot of other things in that game just elicited lots of :shrug: at the time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
So as someone who is making a game, would y'all prefer a damage per standard hit number and perhaps a training dummy that can report your actual in-anger DPS?

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Somfin posted:

So as someone who is making a game, would y'all prefer a damage per standard hit number and perhaps a training dummy that can report your actual in-anger DPS?

I prefer a training dummy that can judge my every move for not min maxing properly and chasing me out of the game never to return.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Make all equipment and abilities equally strong under the hood, but arbitrarily boost different items, classes, and individual characters based on whether they are in easy-to-calculate situations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Somfin posted:

List DPS, damage per attack, and attack speed. Dont force people to attack a specific training dummy to calculate something, just list it outright.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dummies are useful for testing buffs and combos and poo poo.

Actually laying out formulae is important too, since people will eventually figure them out anyway.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Have all weapons be different kinds of shotguns

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you're including guns, please don't do that poo poo where automatic weapons do less damage per shot than semi-auto weapons firing the same round.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

Dummies are useful for testing buffs and combos and poo poo.

Actually laying out formulae is important too, since people will eventually figure them out anyway.

That's what I was thinking- if you've got a horn that buffs bonus damage, a hammer that deals bonus damage to stunned enemies, an autonomous turret that stuns burning enemies, and a grenade that sets enemies on fire, it'd be cool to see how all those bits interact numerically.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Somfin posted:

Asking for gaming advice from people that want to min/max their builds is a great way to ensure you make a well rounded, fun, enjoyable game for all kinds of players!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

kazil posted:

Asking for gaming advice from people that want to min/max their builds is a great way to ensure you make a well rounded, fun, enjoyable game for all kinds of players!

There's this thing called a target audience you should look into

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kazil posted:

It worked for Starbound and Darkest Dungeon!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

It worked for Starbound and Darkest Dungeon!

Starbound was one developer not listening when people told him what they found fun about his game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Somfin posted:

There's this thing called a target audience you should look into

Some audiences aren't worth targeting.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Somfin posted:

Starbound was one developer not listening when people told him what they found fun about his game.

Yeah, didn't it change from enemies with regular attack animations to just automatically dealing damage whenever you touched them? Which basically hosed with the flow of the combat segments something fierce and made them much worse for no good reason.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, didn't it change from enemies with regular attack animations to just automatically dealing damage whenever you touched them? Which basically hosed with the flow of the combat segments something fierce and made them much worse for no good reason.

I will never forgive removing sand collapse mining. That was awesome and he decided to take it out because it was too fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I didn't expect people to actually be interested in the Z-listers,

I wouldn't be, normally, but Netflix DareDevil season 1 was so good that I decided to look on Wikipedia for more villains because all I knew about DD was the blind reflexes, martial arts backstory and he fights Bullseye. Had no idea who any of his other villains were beyond that so then I run across loving Stilt Man and I can't stop laughing. Oh poo poo, the mighty nemesis of the blind martial artist, a man who can be any height under 60 feet! What a world! :allears:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

RareAcumen posted:

I wouldn't be, normally, but Netflix DareDevil season 1 was so good that I decided to look on Wikipedia for more villains because all I knew about DD was the blind reflexes, martial arts backstory and he fights Bullseye. Had no idea who any of his other villains were beyond that so then I run across loving Stilt Man and I can't stop laughing. Oh poo poo, the mighty nemesis of the blind martial artist, a man who can be any height under 60 feet! What a world! :allears:

I love the CW DC shows because of this. I grew up with Marvel and knew next to nothing of anyone outside the main justice league heroes/villains in DC. Whenever there is a really weird villain in an episode I go "there's no way that character was in the comics" and every time they were.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dog Welder is a canon DC character. He welds dogs to people.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'm reminded of one of JJJ's rants in Spiderman, about a NAZI MADE OF BEES.

He is real and, uh

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Len posted:

he died though, but it's cool, his equipment possessed another guy who's now dogwelder 2

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

Like all the great superheroes, there have been multiple Dogwelders. You always need to have somebody take up the mantle when the original character falls.

e,fb

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

I love the CW DC shows because of this. I grew up with Marvel and knew next to nothing of anyone outside the main justice league heroes/villains in DC. Whenever there is a really weird villain in an episode I go "there's no way that character was in the comics" and every time they were.

Yeah I was the same except for cartoons. I wasn't on the internet or reading comics so cartoons was how I found out about villains and such. Now I have so many DC characters I like I have to count them on two hands!

Len posted:

Oh my god, this is like hearing that the guy who the Punisher fought that taped a bunch of babies to himself and claimed he was invincible was a regular threat throughout the years.

Anyway, new complaint I forgot to make earlier. Dragon Quest 11 introduces a new party member as an exceptional martial artist throwing rapid kicks in cutscenes like Kenshiro or Chun Li. Despite this, they do not have any skill that allows them to do a series of kicks. This is wrong on many levels.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is Dogwelder 2 still a good guy? :ohdear:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom King's run on Batman has spent quite a bit of time on the character of "Kite Man." A guy who has the power of wearing a backpack with a retractable glider in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hitman 2016's bullshit escalations. Some of them are fun puzzles, but then you get sticky pistol, or "kill these 3 targets in 30 seconds" or other bullshit and they're just not fun. :mad: