Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

willie_dee posted:

He is, and I say this as someone who is often the target of his mean spirited jokes.

also lol @ he's combative in a thread where we all enjoy people who yell obscenities and punch dudes in the face as hard as they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I do think McGregor is a killer at FW but just a top 5 guy at LW. I never said he wasn’t elite, but rather that he’d just hang with the top guys at LW rather than just crush them.

The best display of McGregor’s grappling was against Max Holloway when he wrestled him to a decision after tearing his ACL in the first. He’s not a bad grappler, but he’s not even on the level of standard NCAA wrestlers. There is a monstrous gulf in the grappling game of McGregor and Nurmagomedov. Saying that doesn’t mean I’m saying Conor isn’t one of the best in the world. He just doesn’t have the chops to roll with the actual best.

i don't really agree with your overall premise. it's not like either of them has fought anyone who resembles their opponent. i don't think anyone knows how this fight is really gonna go. maybe it's gonna look like ronda vs. holm. maybe it's gonna look like when gsp mashed up serra in the rematch.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol i should have expected and preempted that response with i am not an IT professional, but sure, lets keep running the joke into the ground. I agree he posts the occasionally funny thing but its mostly responding with "lol" rather than an actual reason he disagrees with a poster.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This derail is stupid.

What type of IT training do you guys think that Conor has? Web design? Tech support? Database admin?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2RxePzuE-8

I don't remember the last time I saw a fighter shivering like this at a weigh in, she couldn't even get back on the scale to pose.

You probably shouldn't be allowed to keep cutting weight if you're drained to the point where putting your sports bra and panties back on and then standing still is too hard for you.

Of course, that'd also mean going up to Cyborgweight where you fight Cyborg and then get cut and no longer have any semblance of a career so I guess there's no good solution here.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Balthesar posted:

lol i should have expected and preempted that response with i am not an IT professional, but sure, lets keep running the joke into the ground. I agree he posts the occasionally funny thing but its mostly responding with "lol" rather than an actual reason he disagrees with a poster.

:cawg:

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

CommonShore posted:

This derail is stupid.

What type of IT training do you guys think that Conor has? Web design? Tech support? Database admin?

definitely wouldn't survive on the help desk

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Actually, I don't work with computer. I'm a lumberjack

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't really agree with your overall premise. it's not like either of them has fought anyone who resembles their opponent. i don't think anyone knows how this fight is really gonna go. maybe it's gonna look like ronda vs. holm. maybe it's gonna look like when gsp mashed up serra in the rematch.

Khabib has fought rangy south paws. McGregor has never fought anyone like Khabib. There’s nothing special about McGregor’s striking. There is with Khabib’s grappling, though.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Khabib has fought rangy south paws. McGregor has never fought anyone like Khabib. There’s nothing special about McGregor’s striking. There is with Khabib’s grappling, though.

There's nothing special about the guy who knocked out aldo and Alvarez like it was child's play? Alvarez still hasn't been knocked out since or really made to look like that at all and he's been in hell wars. I'm far from a Conor dick rider but this is revisonist

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

There’s nothing special about McGregor’s striking.

What?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

There's nothing special about the guy who knocked out aldo and Alvarez like it was child's play? Alvarez still hasn't been knocked out since or really made to look like that at all and he's been in hell wars. I'm far from a Conor dick rider but this is revisonist

I agree. Saying khabib has fought a rangy southpaw is like saying conor has defended take downs.

It's a new level of danger for them both.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't mean this in a bad way but have you watched much combat sports? i'm not like an expert or anything but i've watched mma and kickboxing for about a decade and conor is definitely special.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

There might have been something special about his striking 2 years ago but now he might have trouble hitting the broad side of a bus accurately.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I wish I could hear the Red Choir cover of Barry White's Never Never Gonna Give You Up that plays in Mr Nice's head whenever he sees or thinks about Khabib

e

Brut posted:

There might have been something special about his striking 2 years ago but now he might have trouble hitting the broad side of a bus accurately.

lmao

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

are you for real?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

he couldnt beat floyd, Bad striker imo

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Balthesar posted:

Lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Nothing special about Conor's striking is definitely an interesting take on things

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I want to chop this post up and do it like a line

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Brut posted:

if he swung that dolly around in a park with Ido Portal beforehand he would've killed khabib with it in the garage

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I honestly did not expect people to be so hilariously defensive about the IT profession. The reaction was definitely severe enough and hysterical enough that I will think twice about making a computer joke in the future.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am a deadlifting 29 year old computer toucher who boxes and rolls ocasionally AMA

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I am a deadlifting 29 year old computer toucher who boxes and rolls ocasionally AMA

How's your back posture on a typical day

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Also sexual market value estimate for yourself please

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

Congrats on beginning to exercise before age 30

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I am one of the Asian Yale finance nerds that you disparaged in a previous post except I'm white and went to a state university

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Also sexual market value estimate for yourself please

10/10 dime status

Skip My Posts posted:

Congrats on beginning to exercise before age 30

I am actually fat and old now I am a former division 1 baseball player and was ranked in the ESPN top 300 AMA

E: this is the first ppv im going to buy instead of streaming now that the fighters have made weight so cool.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 5, 2018

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Sounds like youre a real life renaissance man

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You probably shouldn't be allowed to keep cutting weight if you're drained to the point where putting your sports bra and panties back on and then standing still is too hard for you.

Of course, that'd also mean going up to Cyborgweight where you fight Cyborg and then get cut and no longer have any semblance of a career so I guess there's no good solution here.

For what it's worth she was interviewed shortly after the weigh in and said she was feeling better and would be fine tomorrow, although she wouldn't likely admit that she was in bad shape a day before a fight anyway. She's pretty buff and has always struggled to make this weight. I think she's in a weird spot where she's too big for 135 but too small for 145, but has to persist with cutting to bantamweight because there's just nothing there at featherweight.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/10/aspen-ladd-ufc-229-weight-cut-sure-as-heck-wasnt-fun

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Someone recording their screen but here is the clip of Conor talking about Muhammad Ali from the press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWgJWk3Tbc

One of the only times you might see Conor genuine and humble nowadays

Although it was funny that he also said that no matter what Dana tells the truth

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

For what it's worth she was interviewed shortly after the weigh in and said she was feeling better and would be fine tomorrow, although she wouldn't likely admit that she was in bad shape a day before a fight anyway. She's pretty buff and has always struggled to make this weight. I think she's in a weird spot where she's too big for 135 but too small for 145, but has to persist with cutting to bantamweight because there's just nothing there at featherweight.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/10/aspen-ladd-ufc-229-weight-cut-sure-as-heck-wasnt-fun

She's not too big for 135. She was 146lbs on Monday and she used to cut down to 125.
She's gotten bigger on her strength and conditioning program and there's no way she could make 125 anymore, but she's a healthy 135.
She's working with George Lockhart and she's with a new meal prep company for athletes. She'll be fine tomorrow.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

10/10 dime status

I am actually fat and old now I am a former division 1 baseball player and was ranked in the ESPN top 300 AMA

E: this is the first ppv im going to buy instead of streaming now that the fighters have made weight so cool.

Surprising you never went anywhere with that

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Will we see Sinead O'Connor tomorrow night during the entrances and what Dagestani superstar singer can Khabib bring to counter that power move

Perhaps Jasmin or Zara which are definitely not two famous Russian singers that just came up in google

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
These jokes about IT guys in the UFC thread are makin me miss manyak :sigh:

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
we're probably lookin at a rematch regardless of who wins, right? or do you think they'd make Khabib get some more wins?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Supposedly Khabib plan is to beat Conor and then retire (but would possibly be up for a GSP fight).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Conor is a hell of a fighter. I'm not saying that he isn't. But he also went 1-1 with Nate Diaz with Nate beating the gently caress out of him in the first and took two rounds in the rematch. Nate is far from the best LW in the world.

His KO of Aldo was nuts. I don't think anyone will ever say anything different. He exploited Eddie Alvarez's bad tendencies and knocked him out just like he did to tons of people before at 10 lbs lighter. He's just not anything above the rest of the pack in terms of his striking game like Khabib is above everyone else at grappling. Conor is a top 5 LW, but he's not the best striker in the division.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 6, 2018

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
If Conor wins we'll get beebs vs Pettis/Tony before his next fight. If Conor loses, there will be an immediate rematch

The UFC has shown time and time again they want certain people to be champa and they get rematches they don't deserve because of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Here's a story to help anyone debating Mr. Nice!

One time there was a get together and he spent a chunk of the night, when not wrestling his coworker on cement, arguing with me and another friend of ours about the definition of sashimi, despite having been proven wrong by The Online.

That is all

• Locked thread