Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

Minimum wage went up where I am on the first of October, and local social media has been full of people going "NOW THAT YOU'RE MAKING A LIVING WAGE SAY GOODBYE TO EVER GETTING TIPPED AGAIN RESTAURANT CUCKS"

Perfect, I am so glad that my seventy five cent an hour raise will make me no longer want tips.

I was delivering for Domino's when they first instituted a delivery fee. You better believe tips got cut in half, even though the fee went directly to the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

Minimum wage went up where I am on the first of October, and local social media has been full of people going "NOW THAT YOU'RE MAKING A LIVING WAGE SAY GOODBYE TO EVER GETTING TIPPED AGAIN RESTAURANT CUCKS"

Perfect, I am so glad that my seventy five cent an hour raise will make me no longer want tips.

People who say that weren't tipping in the first place.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
oh yeah i'm suing one of my employers for violating california's break laws and its looking like im gonna cash out. i hope i put them out of business

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

the great deceiver posted:

oh yeah i'm suing one of my employers for violating california's break laws and its looking like im gonna cash out. i hope i put them out of business

hell yeah

i blew toxic rear end in the walk-in just before someone else came in. it was rad

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

People who say that weren't tipping in the first place.

this is also true

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

the great deceiver posted:

gently caress yeah.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hope it goes well dude/tte. :woomy:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Tonight was the night I decided I'll be moving on from this restaurant sooner rather than later. A guy came in for an interview, wanting to be a dishwasher. The boss offered to let him be a line cook. Boss told me he will start on Tuesday. A little later, one of the dishwashers tells el jefe he's seen this guy around town for years, walking around, talking to himself, and that he's mentally ill in some way and gets angry and violent. Punchy and stabby violent, if I understood correctly. I didn't catch the whole thing, but I believe the sous chef talked the boss out of hiring this violent, deranged person.

And in that moment, I realized that, apparently, I would literally have to be crazy to want to work here. I finally got around to asking my buddy the soup man why we're having a hard time getting and keeping good cooks. He smacked his elbow with his palm and gestured toward the boss. He's cheap, this means.

Oh well, onward and upward. Or onward and to the side a little, really.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Who passes up on someone wanting to be a dishwasher?

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I did an impulse mid life crisis and flew out to Spain Barcelona.

Europe is uhh intresting. Woo son they love some esspreso over here.

Dinner last night:

ApolloSuna posted:

Who passes up on someone wanting to be a dishwasher?

This. Just lol. Again the dishwasher is important !

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A Man and his Hog posted:

Dinner last night:

I feel like my mid-life thing is getting a whirlpool tub and taking a lot of long baths.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dinner last night:

Mid life crisis? Aren't you like 25?

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
32 my friend.

Everything been chill so far. The language barrier has been tough but we usually figure it out.

I might have lost both my jobs and will have no reason to hate them if they don't take me back.

But for my own sanity I had to do this.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

But do the European ladies "get down"?

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Has anyone made butter for use in a restaurant kitchen? At what level is making ranch etc from scratch not worth it?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Hello restaurant folks! I read through this whole thread over the course of a couple months since I was interested in the candid side of how restaurants work behind the swinging doors. While I myself am not a part of this industry, I just wanted to say I have the highest respect for you guys since you go through so much poo poo. I promise to avoid brunch and asking for sauce on the side from now on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ApolloSuna posted:

Has anyone made butter for use in a restaurant kitchen? At what level is making ranch etc from scratch not worth it?

Those are both things restaurants should just buy, especially butter, it's like baking your own bread when you aren't a bakery only even more insane.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

ApolloSuna posted:

People tend to want “Ranch” or “Ketchup,” not ranch or ketchup - if you make it from scratch, make it taste as much like the generic as possible.

Edit: unless you do like Cajun ranch or sriracha ketchup or whatever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

IronSaber posted:

Hello restaurant folks! I read through this whole thread over the course of a couple months since I was interested in the candid side of how restaurants work behind the swinging doors. While I myself am not a part of this industry, I just wanted to say I have the highest respect for you guys since you go through so much poo poo. I promise to avoid brunch and asking for sauce on the side from now on.

Take everything we say with a grain of salt. Brunch is only a rough shift because it tends to draw really obnoxious customers, not because it's an inherently bad shift (though it's also the shift employees are most likely to be working through a hangover). Don't be one of those assholes and you're fine. Sauce on the side is similarly just fine - remember, you're paying for the food and (I'm assuming) tipping normally. Order it how you like, within reason. There's a big difference between "Can I get your XYZ burger but with mustard instead of mayo and no tomatoes" and "Can I get your baked ziti but with spaghetti instead of penne, I know the menu says spicy but I can't do spicy can you make it mild? Oh and extra sausage in the sauce, extra cheese, and don't bake it too long I don't like it like that."

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Butter definitely buy, ranch depends on the outlet and application, imo.

Good loving luck getting the American palate to enjoy ketchup that isn't just HFCS colored red

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Hey thread, I guess I should start posting here. I’m actually enjoying my life in the industry now, I spent a little over 8 years at a corporate Italian chain restaurant that, when I started, was actually a nice gig (focused on quality food from a scratch kitchen) and slowly became more and more soul crushing as both the restaurant changed and I kept moving up in management. Long story short I jumped ship from there a year ago after getting an almost miraculous opportunity to help open a higher end “American brasserie” style place inside one of the larger local/regional breweries here in town. It really is a unicorn gig, hours are reasonable, I have a lot of room to experiment and be creative (and the deep pockets to bring in specialized equipment to do so) great benefits, decent pay, free beer, and I’m usually off by 6 every day.

ApolloSuna posted:

It all depends what you’re going for, and what your market is. If you’re making butter or ranch or whatever to use as a basic commodity, then yeah, it’s absolutely a waste of time and money. If you’re making it to feature as a nice, house ingredient, it can be worthwhile from both a cost and marketing perspective. At my restaurant, we bring in basic rear end butter for cooking and baking, but we also do our own house cultured butter (which we do in the wild/barrel aging room of the brewery we’re attached to) to feature alongside our bread (which we bring in from a local bakery we’ve partnered up with) We charge $7 for the 6oz sourdough boule and maybe an ounce of butter. Our food cost on the dish is about 20% (with about 30min of active labor a week) and people eat that poo poo up. Same thing with ranch, if you’re going to use it as a dip or whatever people use Hidden Valley for, making it from scratch is a waste. If you’re doing a simple greens salad with an “herbed buttermilk dressing” then hell yeah, make that from scratch, make it tasty, market/sell it well and charge a premium for it.

Never, ever make your own ketchup though.

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 5, 2018

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
We make our own ketchup and never have any complaints.

We buy in butter for some purposes, make some others. We make all our dressings/sauces/stocks in house.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I forgot some about some whipped cream in the mixer once.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rugikiki posted:

I forgot some about some whipped cream in the mixer once.

That's quite a...

mix up :dadjoke:

IronSaber posted:

Sauce on the side isn't bad, per se, it's annoying when I take the food out and suddenly OH, CAN I HAVE THIS ON THE SIDE?

Thanks, dipshit.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ApolloSuna posted:

Made butter on our old food truck, and it was surprisingly easy and saved us on money. It ended up working well for what we were doing due to the flavor and the fact it just worked for tamale masa better (for vegetarian ones, we used lard for meat ones). Making it on a larger scale would be feasable if you just wanted it to be something that your place just does (hope that makes sense).

IronSaber posted:

Agreed with Blanks on it. I'm all for taking a little extra time for someone's allergy or health concern, and a simple special order ain't a thing. I'll get frazzled on the line if I've got a ton of stuff and someone orders something that makes me squeeze off the line for a second to get to the walk-ins, but if I can't handle that, then I shouldn't be cooking.

I like going to brunch myself, and it's usually good food and sometimes even better than the restaurant's normal food. Brunch shifts are different place-to-place, but employees tend to hate them. It's just early on a Sunday (good chance you worked Fri-Sat night so you're likely whooped), you're probably working alone (not counting if you do an omelette/carving station), and your arm hurts from making the hollandaise. Depending on the place, your waiters don't make much in tips so they're not super-excited. Meanwhile, you may have to do a bunch of prep on the side or in my hotel job case, all of that plus banquets in other parts of the building as well as a la carte/room service orders from different places.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Plan Z posted:

Made butter on our old food truck, and it was surprisingly easy and saved us on money. It ended up working well for what we were doing due to the flavor and the fact it just worked for tamale masa better (for vegetarian ones, we used lard for meat ones). Making it on a larger scale would be feasable if you just wanted it to be something that your place just does (hope that makes sense).

Yeah that makes sense. We are known for our pancakes so a dollop of home made butter would be a major enhancer. Plus gently caress this vegetable spread poo poo we use now. If it just increases the cost from 2 bucks a tub for vegetable spread to 4 bucks instead of the 8ish butter would cost from a store, its worth it. Next thing I have to make is a chicken strip breading because we use a straight flour then figure out how to hold pasta. Labor isnt really a factor(Im salary and have a lot of volunteers) its food cost.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Everything is going well. Food is great.

I did have to tell a guy no when he tried to sell me a giant ribeye steak at 11:30 in the morning.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
What quantity are you buying cream in that it saves you money vs purchasing butter?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

32 my friend.

Everything been chill so far. The language barrier has been tough but we usually figure it out.

I might have lost both my jobs and will have no reason to hate them if they don't take me back.

But for my own sanity I had to do this.

Jesus, the more I read your posts, the more eerily like me you are.

I'm 33, have two jobs, work at a pizza place, and spent my 20's sleeping with all of my coworkers.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You should probably note whether or not you raped any of them when making that comparison

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Jesus, the more I read your posts, the more eerily like me you are.

I'm 33, have two jobs, work at a pizza place, and spent my 20's sleeping with all of my coworkers.

Are you an attempted date rapist too?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Are you an attempted date rapist too?

pile of brown posted:

You should probably note whether or not you raped any of them when making that comparison

God damnit, why do I always forget about the attempted date raping?

*WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BEING AN ATTEMPTED (OR OTHERWISE) DATE RAPIST

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Mezzanon posted:

spent my 20's sleeping with all of my coworkers.

Well that's everyone in the restaurant business if we're being honest. (Not the rape part though)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

God damnit, why do I always forget about the attempted date raping?

*WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BEING AN ATTEMPTED (OR OTHERWISE) DATE RAPIST

Man i don't remember this one. What's the AMAHD rape story?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Field Mousepad posted:

Well that's everyone in the restaurant business if we're being honest. (Not the rape part though)

I haven't tried to sleep with a single one of my coworkers. One guy thought I was cute though, but he was in a relationship.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Field Mousepad posted:

Eh, I never slept with any of my coworkers.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Field Mousepad posted:

I actually married one of my coworkers.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Man i don't remember this one. What's the AMAHD rape story?

Pretty sure it's more of attempted rape but iirc:
got his coworker blacked out drunk and tried to sex her and then expected sympathy from the thread that she got drunk but wouldn't "get down"

I could be misremembering details but pretty sure it's in this very thread if you have search. (I don't)

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

pile of brown posted:

got his coworker blacked out drunk and tried to sex her and then expected sympathy from the thread that she got drunk but wouldn't "get down"

I could be misremembering details but pretty sure it's in this very thread if you have search. (I don't)

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

pile of brown posted:

Yeah I vaguely remember that. I liked the Spanish mom story better. I think she didn't get down either.