Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In addition to HP, another thing that doesn't change is Salvo size. This could be another thing that increases with veterancy, and the way you keep it balanced is with ammo. A unit firing more shots a salvo might do more frontloaded damage, but it will burn through ammo faster as well. This would still be good if you had terrain working to your advantage, shorter battles, or artillery that have a prohibitive minimum range.

Granted, I don't know how it would work exactly on an organ gun since there's only 4 cannons on each mount, but it could work perfectly fine on Hellblaster Volley Guns, Hellstorm rocket batteries, and the Casket of Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ZeusJupitar posted:

Skaven would invent the submarine before they thought to invent regular boats.

Nah, they stole it from the dwarves and "improved" the design afterwards, as always.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just realized something: Harkon is probably going to start of at war with Clan Eshin.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Angry Lobster posted:

Nah, they stole it from the dwarves and "improved" the design afterwards, as always.

A Skaven submarine would look like this giant whirling hamster ball powered by thousands of slaves running in the correct direction and using warp lightning emitters to generate a supercavitating bubble around the craft.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I just realized something: Harkon is probably going to start of at war with Clan Eshin.

Fuckin' nice.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Are we EVER going to be able to embed heroes into settlements? This has been a gripe of mine since WH1. All heroes have various passive effects to benefit your territory, and many of them have decent support abilities, not to mention actual wizards.

It should be so straightforward- they embed into a settlement like a lone lord would. Put a lord in there and the hero joins the lords stack. If the stack is full then you have to move the hero out to put the lord in. It would be more cost effective in some provinces to have a hero guard settlements this way rather than a small army. Since the hero can only get targeted by other hero effects outside of a settlement, you don't have to worry about him getting ambushed and killed easily. And a decently leveled wizard would be a significant force multiplier for a weak garrison.

Some overhauls have heroes as part of the garrison, but the problem with this is that they are the equivalent of a level 1 hero. So for a wizard they only get 1 spell. The only workaround is to create a copy of the unit that already comes with some spells abilities (so they're not useless in garrisons but also don't make standard low level heroes too good).

But it would be even simpler to just let you embed heroes.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Salted_Pork posted:

I predict two Mortal Empires campaigns, one with the full map and 20 minute end turn times, and one with a much smaller map and shorter end turn time.

If they ever make a smaller version for Mortal Empires map with faster turn times, with the addition of 4 players on campaign map with simultaneous turns. Then TW:W all time playtime would rival my Warcraft 3 all time playtime. I cannot even describe how much I want this.

A man can dream.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

ZeusJupitar posted:

Skaven would invent the submarine before they thought to invent regular boats.

That doesn't involve nearly enough needless suffering. Their first attempts probably never bothered with making a boat in the first place and just had a mass of Skavenslaves grab onto each other like a fire ant raft.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
"But what about the skavenslaves at the bottom of the raft?" "They're the greatest heroes of all....wait something's scratching my leg! Oh, wait, it stopped"

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

"But what about the skavenslaves at the bottom of the raft?" "They're the greatest heroes of all....wait something's scratching my leg! Oh, wait, it stopped"

They eventually learned to rope them together, when their rafts would slowly disintegrate due to all the corpses floating away.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Jum-Jum posted:

If they ever make a smaller version for Mortal Empires map with faster turn times, with the addition of 4 players on campaign map with simultaneous turns. Then TW:W all time playtime would rival my Warcraft 3 all time playtime. I cannot even describe how much I want this.

A man can dream.

How does simultaneous turns work with what is functionally turn-based army movement?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Tehenhaiun or Tiqtaqto as a Skarsnik-style skink majority lord would be a great twist on the Lizards who, while imo more interesting than say Dwarfs or HElves, would make for a game that was a little less plug-and-play than usual

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does anyone Want to Talk About Legendary Lords for The Vampire Coast?

i do

so first up, already confirmed, the absolute boy luthor harkon:

he's an ancient as heck vampire, but while he was trying to ship himself in his coffin to somewhere else, freakin norscan raiders attacked the boat and looted it. unfortunately for luthor even though his aura of dark magic pretty quickly drove all the norscans insane, they crashed their boat off the coast of lustria, way way away from where luthor wanted to be. being sad and lonely he started raising up hella dead pirates (90% of pirates in warhammer drown within the first six weeks of taking up the job) and forming a kickass zombie army. being greedy as hell, he started raiding the lizardmen, who foolishly had made their cities out of delicious gold.

at some point he tried to steal the wrong lizardman artifact and it exploded his brain, making him crazy as hell, which kind of put a damper on his world domination plans as he now mostly does pirate roleplay at home.

second up: Drekla

(i could only find this picture in tiny format, luthor is on the right and drekla is on the left)

Drekla doesn't have too much back story. He's luthor's lieutenant, and he has a hook for a hand. he is apparently very stupid, despite the fact that usually vampires are pretty smart guys. but he is very loyal and a BFF to luthor. in the end times he sacrifices his life to save luthor, because he's a real bro. I don't know how likely he is to be a legendary lord, but he is one of the few named vampire coast characters and his concept is both funny and threadbare enough that I think CA could have fun with him.

third option: Noctilus

This guy I think is a strong option, primarily because look at him. He is too cool for ghoul school.

Born one Nyklaus Von Carstein, he heard about a 'skull-strewn vortex in the distant heart of the ocean' and decided that sounded so cool he wanted to go there. So he went there, and he mastered the art of TERRIFYING OCEAN MAGIC. he liked the place so much that he did a ritual so powerful it teleported him and his castle and all his friends into the heart of the vortex, THE GALLEON'S GRAVEYARD. I'm not sure how good it is to live inside a giant whirlpool, but he seems to like it. using his new magic, he raised up all the warships and the crews that had been drowned and sucked into the vortex through history, which created the dreadfleet.

also the magic changed his name to Noctilus, because you have to change your name when you get superpowers.

other fun facts about him are that he is so convinced that any meeting he attends will make him insanely angry, so he installed a special spike on his breastplate to automatically flip any table he stands up from quickly, and one of his signature units is the big construct of broken boats and corpses that we already saw in the vampire coast trailer.

option four: Skretch

This guy is kind of a more minor character, but also look at him. In life Skretch was a powerful and wealthy warlord of Clan Skurvy, but being a successful skaven he was bound to gently caress up one day. He mistook the orb of an Orb Leviathan (a giant angler fish) for being warpstone, and ordered his crew to harvest it. They All Got Ate.

Being rats, one of their main abilities in this life is eating their way out of things. So they tried. They ate the poo poo out of that orb leviathan, but unfortunately not fast enough. they mortally wounded the sea monster, but suffocated before they could get out.

Some time later, our boy Count Noctilus happened upon the dead orb leviathan and was like 'oh man it would be cool as hell for me to use my ocean man powers to raise this from the dead and then i could have a sick rear end orb leviathan to wreck up the joint', so raise it he did. unfortunately for him, he did not know about all the rats inside it, and the powerful necromatic ritual raised them too. 'ah poo poo' thought the Count, 'now i have to deal with these assholes'.

now they sail around in a boat made of the undead leviathan and bits of their old boat that it ate:

(very cool)

I think Skretch is a good option for them to pick because Skaven are very popular, and the concept of a pirate skaven who got raised into undeath by accident is very funny.

option five: Vangheist

ok so nobody really gives a poo poo about this guy. He's a pirate who was helping a wizard with a quest to find immortality, but being a dickhead he betrayed the wizard because he didn't want to share. unfortunately for him he Really hosed Up and the immortality he got was him and his crew being immortal in their jacked up dead bodies, sailing around on a ghost boat forever. he's basically the flying dutchman, kind of lame, nobody cares. but he's an option and CA might be able to do something good with him

option six: Aranessa Saltspite

This cool pirate queen also doesn't have much of a backstory. She's got kind of a multiple choice origin story where it's all rumours. she might be the daughter of the sea god, she might be a chaos mutant, she might be a tilean witch, who knows. it would be good to have another female legendary lord though, and I think CA could do something good with her.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

juggalo baby coffin posted:

option four: Skretch

This guy is kind of a more minor character, but also look at him. In life Skretch was a powerful and wealthy warlord of Clan Skurvy, but being a successful skaven he was bound to gently caress up one day. He mistook the orb of an Orb Leviathan (a giant angler fish) for being warpstone, and ordered his crew to harvest it. They All Got Ate.

Being rats, one of their main abilities in this life is eating their way out of things. So they tried. They ate the poo poo out of that orb leviathan, but unfortunately not fast enough. they mortally wounded the sea monster, but suffocated before they could get out.

Some time later, our boy Count Noctilus happened upon the dead orb leviathan and was like 'oh man it would be cool as hell for me to use my ocean man powers to raise this from the dead and then i could have a sick rear end orb leviathan to wreck up the joint', so raise it he did. unfortunately for him, he did not know about all the rats inside it, and the powerful necromatic ritual raised them too. 'ah poo poo' thought the Count, 'now i have to deal with these assholes'.

now they sail around in a boat made of the undead leviathan and bits of their old boat that it ate:

(very cool)

I think Skretch is a good option for them to pick because Skaven are very popular, and the concept of a pirate skaven who got raised into undeath by accident is very funny.
I'll take four of these, please.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Odds on one of the four LLs being a hybrid similar to Arkhan? The Skaven dude and the Pirate Queen sound like they'd both be ripe for some VC+Skaven/Empire(?) type setups.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I saw the giant hermit crab monsters and bought the DLC immediately.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

Odds on one of the four LLs being a hybrid similar to Arkhan? The Skaven dude and the Pirate Queen sound like they'd both be ripe for some VC+Skaven/Empire(?) type setups.

It's incredibly tiny, but this morning they updated the steam page to read 'four new legendary lords' rather than 'four new undead legendary lords'. Reddit suggests that the various other language versions were changed as well.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does anyone Want to Talk About Legendary Lords for The Vampire Coast?

Noctilus is basically confirmed, you can see him riding the Necrofex Colossus in one of the Steam screenshots.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't Saltspite supposed to be Norscan? What I'm saying is her ship should be a giant chariot.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Noctilus is basically confirmed, you can see him riding the Necrofex Colossus in one of the Steam screenshots.

I think he's also mentioned in the game already in one of the events that the Vampire Counts can get. You can choose to fund his seagoing expedition or something.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CA should have put the pirate zombies in at release and taken out one of the stupid elf factions.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Taking a stab at the remaining two, I'd go with Aranessa as the pure-caster lord (also I'm going with CA making Sartosa a multiple settlement region and plonk her there) who gives buffs to the sea creature units (a daughter of the deep kind of deal) and Skretch as the out-there Arkhan the Black type character that can recruit some Skaven units.

I guess I wouldn't be disappointed with Vangheist if they leaned into his ghost/ethereal aspect, think that could set him apart.

Drekla would be funny if they made him the Isabella to Luthor's Vlad, but out of all of the choices he's the one I'd want the least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

turn off the TV posted:

CA should have put the pirate zombies in at release and taken out one of the stupid elf factions.

But then there would be way fewer elves to explode with cannons and smash with crabs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Night10194 posted:

But then there would be way fewer elves to explode with cannons and smash with crabs.

You just give high elves red and black color schemes and put them in Naggaroth. There'd be basically zero meaningful difference to the campaign.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

You just give high elves red and black color schemes and put them in Naggaroth. There'd be basically zero meaningful difference to the campaign.

Vicious... and Cruel..

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Ammanas posted:

How does simultaneous turns work with what is functionally turn-based army movement?

Pretty much everything besides army movement. Things like queuing up recruits, answering to diplomacy, buildings, swapping items, etc. I didn't play any other Total War but apparently that is how it worked in Shogun 2. Would obviously work a ton better in coop.

Realistically, queuing up units, buildings and leveling heroes should be doable.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

aw lame he doesnt have his blue skin or metal beard spike

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Expansion be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ju_10NkGY

which is good

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Units that are wiped out have a chance to recover after battle with 1 dude left in the card. They could tweak the bloated corpse to have like a 98% chance to recover so you'd waste a unit card but you'll be almost guaranteed to recover it after you explode them. It would be nice if they had a merc system where you could recruit temporary units that would only last 1 battle so you could just reanimate abuncha bloated corpses before battle and just make sure you used them every time. The smart move would be a lord ability that summoned a bloated corpse.

I really hope they do the 2 undead LL's and 2 live LL's with the living lords having mixed rosters with living empire troops and undead troops. Remember victor gives out ebon skulls to allies that have the ability to summon/control his minions so a living vampire coast lord can easily be explained with musket zombies next to living free company.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

can we start a letter writing campaign to get noctilus his blue skin and correct beard?

and also get them to release the full sea shanty from the trailer? and make the zombies sing it when they march?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

graceCA said she was 'working on it' in reply to people wanting the shanty released

I think maybe Bloated Corpses could explode on death and that'd be good enough.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

if theyre vampire counts they should have the raise dead trait right? maybe if your bloated corpses explode it could guarantee you can raise them again after the battle.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, let's say I'm interested in dipping my toe into this thing?
is TW:W1 fine or is this one of those 'skip to the most recent offering' kind of games?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

is TW:W1 fine or is this one of those 'skip to the most recent offering' kind of games?

Warhammer 1 has a different campaign and slightly different mechanics but to be honest I feel like Warhammer 2 is a straight upgrade in every way. However, Warhammer 1 is definitely way faster to load than this game is and only has one kind of elves, and they're all psychopathic cannibal murderers.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
If you can get W1 on a good discount, play that first. W2 is an upgrade in a lot of ways, but the Vortex campaign is nowhere as good as the Old World campaign map and ME is a slog.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Yeah, WH1 has things going for it. It's kind of more "complete" than 2. It's got all of its content and whatever the balance is, that's what it'll be forever. It runs a bit better and has shorter turn times.

PM me if you want a code for WH1. I've had it leftover from a Humbly Monthly for like a year.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I personally really like the Vortex campaign. Keeps the game interesting, especially on the higher difficulties. I also really hope they go with Skretch. He seems like he'd just be a lot of fun.

Brain Sale
Feb 12, 2008

Please ...

More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

ChrisBTY posted:

I would take into consideration which faction you want to play as well as the other factors people have mentioned. I generally only play factions from part 1 in part 1. If you play the factions from 1 in part 2 you're on a giant map with every faction in the game which results in nightmarishly long enemy turn times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I really hope they manage to sneak in a Monkey Island reference or two. Like LeChock's Ghost Pirates as an RoR or something.