Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gymer
May 30, 2012
Anyone know what the IGF in IGF Atlas stands for? Also did they casually bring up World War 3 in Last Stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tribbledirigible posted:

They're getting much more comfortable with on-screen deaths. We didn't see them make it out of the explosion like we did with Keith and Acxa, so maybe they did, just without Zethrid's other eye and Ezor's ponytail.

Wait could you see those in the debris?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait could you see those in the debris?

Ha, no, I was just extrapolating based on Zethrid's one remaining good eye. Also, if they didn't make it, then that's two same sex couples that didn't last past this season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, 2 episodes in and so far, so good. Also the music is great. It’s all super Mass Effect-y.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Kinda disappointed they hyped Adam up so much and then didn’t do anything with it. Though this show has never even been a little about relationship drama. Shiro officially being sidelined into a bigger, cooler robot was the kind of crazy last episodes are made for.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In true robot fashion, I was sure Shiro would get a white lion as the sixth ranger (though according to SRW W, that'd make him Guy Shishioh, which is a very good thing in and of itself) but I didn't expect him to just get a Macross instead. Not like I'm complaining, because gently caress yeah transforming motherships.

What a crazy season. I thought it started a bit too slow but once it got going it goddamn got going and never stopped.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tribbledirigible posted:

Ha, no, I was just extrapolating based on Zethrid's one remaining good eye. Also, if they didn't make it, then that's two same sex couples that didn't last past this season.

Appearntly according to a story boarder, they did not make it.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

What a crazy season. I thought it started a bit too slow but once it got going it goddamn got going and never stopped.

They did a pretty amazing job keeping those last 3 or so episodes tense all the way through, I was actually convinced the Galra were going to succeed in vaporizing Earth. Silly in retrospect but in the moment I was on the edge of my seat.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Whoever made that thing at the end was at least nice enough to keep the prisoner pod self-destruct proof.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

DeafNote posted:

Whoever made that thing at the end was at least nice enough to keep the prisoner pod self-destruct proof.

I got the impression the Altean as doing all this willingly. Had a comfy seat, controls, didn't explode her.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

TheHan posted:

I got the impression the Altean as doing all this willingly. Had a comfy seat, controls, didn't explode her.

Since all the other Alteans from the colony probably still think of Lotor as a savior, I could see Haggar/Honerva telling them that Voltron killed him in order to get them to side with her and become her personal army.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man they had Pidge's dad totally doing the Gendo thing in the episode with the attack

Though something really bugged me about was during the battle between Earth and the Gaulra, they used the same models for the regular fighters they used for the advanced ones. It made it really confusing to know what exactly what stage of the battle they were at. \

Also RIP Veronica

EDIT: Spoke to soon on the last one.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 12, 2018

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
We're in Earth's solar system the Milky Way! Jesus christ

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Koirhor posted:

Just continuing the proud Voltron tradition of blurry lines between galaxies, solar systems and universes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheHan posted:

Kinda disappointed they hyped Adam up so much and then didn’t do anything with it. Though this show has never even been a little about relationship drama. Shiro officially being sidelined into a bigger, cooler robot was the kind of crazy last episodes are made for.

Yeah people overuse the term 'queerbaiting' a crazy amount but when you hype a guy up that much and then basically drop him immediately, it's like, the textbook definition of it. It would have been fine if they hadn't made such a big deal of it in press tours and stuff.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Shiro should've beaten Sendak, makes more sense imo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Koirhor posted:

God that line makes so little sense it hurts.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Hmmm, I wonder if this means the Castle of Lions could have transformed as well.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, this season went loving hard.

But first, hot takes on the LGBT aspect: It was neat to make Shiro gay, but boy can you feel it was a tooth and nail fight to include. If you hadn't read up anything about this year's comic con or the lead up to the release of the season, and you were just a tad dense, you could easily believe Adam's just Shiro's super straight best hetero bro. He only gets that one scene and then two shots of Shiro mourning him. And then there's the two Galras from Lotor's entourage who became space queens.

It's honestly pretty interesting how both romances were so deeply involved with death and a partner pushing life to its limits. Shiro and the buff one dying over their ambitions, but (god i wish i remembered the girls' names) the Ty Lee one still following her to their bitter end is cool, and how much they achieved, things that were truly larger than life, was interesting to see on screen. Shiro, on the other hand, just kinda left Adam behind. He never brought him up to team Voltron, and even the flashback that introduces Adam had him be a bit player to Best Son Keith. It really feels like Shiro knew he would never be able to patch things up with Adam, which is a sad way of making sense of how we find out Shiro had a boyfriend seven seasons in.

Of course. That also means the mega uncomfortable point that the two LGBT relationships in the show end up with the characters super dead. And then the season ends with Hunk introducing his space rock girlfriend to his parents, Allura and Lance being strongly implied with his sister shipping them and cool edgy space girl looks at cool edgy half-space boy in the distance with a knowing smile.

I'm not gonna say it's intentional, that they should've not done anything if it was gonna end up like that or that the crew deserves hate on this. But, well, not the best look. Specially not when they were pushing Adam fairly hard in the lead-up to the show. In the current climate of things, and with two dead gay relationships, this show kinda needs to push a happy gay ending somewhere to not feel... plain mean towards same sex relationships.

But with that out of the way, gently caress, it's so cool how the loving Atlas became the Giantest Mech! The backhalf was tense as hell all the way through. Hell, the whole season was such a struggle from the whole cast and seeing them finally pull through with a win was incredibly satisfying. I really loved this season going back to 13 episodes because it felt like we had enough time to breathe, that gameshow episode was incredibly important, and the team stranded in space, or the two parter about what exactly earth was doing the whole time were great. And space Seinfeld.

Hunk was an absolute unit all season. Allura kinda didn't get much to do at all, tho, but hey, final season has the Alteans with hyper powerful scythe-wielding-quintessence-sucking mechas, so I'm sure that'll be a thing.

This team configuration we were promised since S3 finally really came together, and boy is it good. It really pays off to get Shiro out of the main roster and into a command center because, yeah, Keith is the leader, but they all see each other as equals, admire each other differently. If it had been S1 Voltron in the gameshow, they all would've voted for Shiro in final jeopardy, while he votes for his son.

The new kids are also pretty cool! Quirky but nice

Great season, I'm ready for the final season, tho.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
agreed on the LGBT stuff

whee here's some lgbt people oh wait they get a bad end, love this trope, can't get enough of it

not gonna ruin the show for me, but left a bad taste, especially after the marketing :/

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There was marketing? Maybe that's why I don't feel any disappointment over it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly according to a story boarder, they did not make it.

Do you have a source on this?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The actress who plays Pidge seems to think they're alive.

https://twitter.com/IBexWeBex/status/1028392089082417152

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

The actress who plays Pidge seems to think they're alive.

https://twitter.com/IBexWeBex/status/1028392089082417152

She's just an all-around great person. The whole voice cast is, honestly.

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1029801665396797441

Bex is having the time of her life, Kimberly Brooks is giving it an earnest try and having fun, and Josh Keaton looks like he just wants to die :D

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
One of my favorite things the voice cat has done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoeGe82AFm0

might have even first saw it in this thread.
(side note: I am hoping to get to meet Neil Kaplan this weekend at Power Morphicon)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mateo360 posted:

One of my favorite things the voice cat has done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoeGe82AFm0

might have even first saw it in this thread.
(side note: I am hoping to get to meet Neil Kaplan this weekend at Power Morphicon)

Ask him to say “Hell, it’s about time,” as Hawkmon. The man’s range is loving incredible :allears:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

nine-gear crow posted:

Ask him to say “Hell, it’s about time,” as Hawkmon. The man’s range is loving incredible :allears:

LOL, funnily enough, I was going to have him sign my Digimon season 2 DVD cover. I got Robert Axelrod for Armadillomon year ago.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
can't believe that at this point this series doesn't get recommended a whole lot more than it does. That was a very intense season, now that I've gotten a chance to watch it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I was kind of ho hum on the last two seasons but this recent one was crazy good. Lots of macross/robotech vibes and even a little Yamato (I kind of hoped the atlas would blast a ship while it was docked still).

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
atlas is thicc

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I've been enjoying each season more than the last so far, but I found Season 7 rather disappointing. The back half felt like it didn't earn any of the plot developments.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I finally caught up on this show. Keeps getting better. I was hoping that Earth was going to have built the vehicle Voltron but Atlas was just as good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Finally finished watching the rest of the season tonight. Yeah, holy poo poo the first half kinda drags but once they get to Earth it just goes into wrap speed.

Gonna be interesting to see what other cool ships and tech the Galaxy Garrison’s gonna develop now that Earth’s basically the hub of universal civilization and has access to the rest of the Coalition’s resources like Olcari bio-tech and the Balmera.

Also, since no one else has said it so far, RIP Admiral Traitor. You were kind of a stubborn bitch, and you hosed up super hard, but you made right in the end :patriot:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I think I liked the slower pace of the first half of the season better. Everything from Earth on is just so rushed, it feels like two full seasons condensed into the back half of one.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
By the by, for a voltron and music fan, soundcloud is a godsend.

https://soundcloud.com/brianparkhurst

https://soundcloud.com/spiralbill/sets/voltron-legendary-defender

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Final Season, December 14th

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/Voltron/status/1048576395977351168

The final "literally everyone" cast poster was release as a part of the NYCC Voltron panel today too. It's a mashup of Seasons 7 and 8, so it's got some spoiler details on it:

Colour-coded Garrison uniforms!

A fuckton of new Altean characters!

Slav in a Garrison uniform!

A 5th member of the B-Team!

Kid Lotor?!

Axca and Veronica hooking up?!

Robo-OG Pidge?!

December's gonna be wild.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

https://twitter.com/Voltron/status/1048576395977351168

The final "literally everyone" cast poster was release as a part of the NYCC Voltron panel today too. It's a mashup of Seasons 7 and 8, so it's got some spoiler details on it:

Colour-coded Garrison uniforms!

A fuckton of new Altean characters!

Slav in a Garrison uniform!

A 5th member of the B-Team!

Kid Lotor?!

Axca and Veronica hooking up?!

Robo-OG Pidge?!

December's gonna be wild.

That Robo-OG Pidge is actually a robo Chip, OG-Pidge's brother from Vehicle.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just recently went through the entire series, as I previously had only seen the first.

drat good series.
First appearance of Blazing Sword had me :getin:

Bit sad that this is ending, because man I'd love like 10 more seasons of this thing.

McTimmy posted:

That Robo-OG Pidge is actually a robo Chip, OG-Pidge's brother from Vehicle.

Vehicle Voltron confirmed.

(Seriously end Legendary Defender with Vehicle Voltron, then do 10 seasons of Vehicle Voltron)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I need that panel of Rebecca Sugar going "make it gayer!!!" right now.