Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Eh, I never slept with any of my coworkers.

I definitely did. Had a lot of fun and some great relationships out of it at the time. One of them is still probably "the one that got away," if I had to choose one. We broke each other's hearts. We're both in other relationships and quite happy now, at least I am.

Now I absolutely do not because I'm the boss.

Am I the only one surprised that AMAHD (AMAHH?) is in his 30s?! I was certain he was going to be 22 or something.

E: Lame page snype!! So, happy 20th SA! I started reading around here in 2001 or so, because my high school boyfriend thought Cliff Yablonski Hate You was the height of comedy. What about yall?

I also found this to be super cryptic on Eater SF today, especially since they moved her here like, 13 months ago: "Editor’s Note: This will be Rachel Levin’s last restaurant review for Eater. She’s taking time to focus on book deadlines and Eater is re-evaluating investment in SF restaurant criticism. Please continue to follow Levin’s restaurant-related instagram @offmenusf and stay tuned for more of her (non review) writing here in the months to come."

Is this because Bauer is finally gone (thank christ, ding dong the witch and his terrible hair piece are dead) and so an alternative isn't needed? Are we abandoning the formal journalistic critic? Are we all just agreed that SF is silly and unsustainable becuase we can't hire anyone to save our lives? I'm intrigued.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
People in this industry almost always get with a co worker. It just happens.

You will not control it. Its human nature. I've seen it all. Family's made. Crushing breakups. You name it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Man I was in the middle of a construction site for a very prominent upcoming opening and I briefly thought “man, I miss the energy and purpose that goes into opening a restaurant, how that clarity makes life so vibrant” and then the lights went off for no reason and I had to turn the water back on to the apparatus I was installing manually and I was all “lolz no, I’m gonna go make dinner for my lady and be in bed by midnight”.

Get that health insurance, y’all.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

A Man and his Hog posted:

People in this industry almost always get with a co worker. It just happens.

You will not control it. Its human nature. I've seen it all. Family's made. Crushing breakups. You name it.

So they got down right?

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
First i made a baby with my coworker, then she quit, but then we had a family bought a house then got married.

Also, i have made a triumphant return to the industry after 2 years. lol. Went back to the old job as a second job 2 nights a week to try to unfuck the family debt situation. Only been a few weeks, but its been really nice. Lots of close friends still work there, and its just totally a change of pace from my daytime gig in physical therapy. Quite happy with the situation so far, and i worked there 10+ years so i was able to just jump right back in, took like 35 seconds to be totally comfortable again. Unfortunately, still behind on bills. Hope it gets caught up soon, or its going to get rather depressing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I definitely did. Had a lot of fun and some great relationships out of it at the time. One of them is still probably "the one that got away," if I had to choose one. We broke each other's hearts. We're both in other relationships and quite happy now, at least I am.

Now I absolutely do not because I'm the boss.

Am I the only one surprised that AMAHD (AMAHH?) is in his 30s?! I was certain he was going to be 22 or something.

E: Lame page snype!! So, happy 20th SA! I started reading around here in 2001 or so, because my high school boyfriend thought Cliff Yablonski Hate You was the height of comedy. What about yall?

I also found this to be super cryptic on Eater SF today, especially since they moved her here like, 13 months ago: "Editor’s Note: This will be Rachel Levin’s last restaurant review for Eater. She’s taking time to focus on book deadlines and Eater is re-evaluating investment in SF restaurant criticism. Please continue to follow Levin’s restaurant-related instagram @offmenusf and stay tuned for more of her (non review) writing here in the months to come."

Is this because Bauer is finally gone (thank christ, ding dong the witch and his terrible hair piece are dead) and so an alternative isn't needed? Are we abandoning the formal journalistic critic? Are we all just agreed that SF is silly and unsustainable becuase we can't hire anyone to save our lives? I'm intrigued.

I went from barback to management in <6 months. The window of opportunity was never really there.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

I went from barback to management in <6 months. The window of opportunity was never really there.

That's a long time to not get laid

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I came here because of the exact same thing. A buddy told me about Cliff and that's how I found the forums. Gbs was so good back then.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'm all cool for dating or whatever within your tier, but when managers start getting involved with employees is when poo poo starts. Nobody can take a break but those two can always get time together. Manager is constantly making circuits through your department, and can't come around without getting a handful and stopping that person working. Oh, server has Friday off, well then the manager does, too. "Hey cool you're here the station's stocked I gotta run and pick my up kid- oh okay just go and stare at each other while brushing each others arms for 10 minutes."

I've pretty much made a promise that if it happens again, I'm not staying at that place.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

That’s why you bone the people who work at the bar around the corner instead!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I've been having luck with other regulars at the bar around the corner rather than the staff, but I feel you.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I actually went the other way around entirely in my first industry job. My "husband" (we're not legally married but had been living together for 12 years at that point) got a job as a cook for the Army DFAC, then acted as referral for my dish job there. Thing was, they had an extremely strict "no fraternizing" policy for both us contractors and the military staff. If they knew about it, you and your SO could not work there at the same time, even if he was in a different dept on the other side of a 400 seat dining room. So we spent the better part of two years pretending to all the staff that we were just craigslist-style roommates. I'm pretty butch, so I think everyone thought I was a bulldyke, so that helped, maybe.

Some of the smarter staff closer to me said they had already figured it out, when we quit to move and finally came out of the closet, so to speak, but it was amazing that we kept that act up that long. It was agonizing when I was having a lovely day and just really wanted a big ol hug from my man, and when we crossed paths the best I could do was "sup, bro? Today sucks" and get a fist bump. :(

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

There was plenty of that.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Who comes to work drunk and high the day after getting sent home for coming to work drunk and high? I swear the boss fired this idiot yesterday but apparently he wants to give him a second chance. I'm not sure he realizes this would be this rear end in a top hat's fifth or sixth chance, he's late all the time, he's hosed up all the time. I'm looking elsewhere for work, this is unacceptable to me and I'm just barely a professional cook. This guy was DROOLING on the food he was so hosed up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Animal-Mother posted:

Who comes to work drunk and high the day after getting sent home for coming to work drunk and high? I swear the boss fired this idiot yesterday but apparently he wants to give him a second chance. I'm not sure he realizes this would be this rear end in a top hat's fifth or sixth chance, he's late all the time, he's hosed up all the time. I'm looking elsewhere for work, this is unacceptable to me and I'm just barely a professional cook. This guy was DROOLING on the food he was so hosed up.

Idiots.

I have fired more than one. The last one took a swing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our newest idiot cook asked the Asian waitresses what specific type of Asian they are and if they know Kung Fu.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Animal-Mother posted:

Our newest idiot cook asked the Asian waitresses what specific type of Asian they are and if they know Kung Fu.

Can't wait to hear about why you're not supposed to injure this person. :allears:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Can't wait to read more posts from power tripping assholes who think that supervising someone at work means you own their flesh like a feudal serf and can harm them at will

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Oh no I drank salty coke

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Stringent posted:

Can't wait to hear about why you're not supposed to injure this person.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh no I drank salty coke

K

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I think that being able to feel safe at work is pretty loving important, and if you can't resist the impulse to make your coworkers feel unsafe maybe you should work alone.

I think it's pretty reasonable to feel unsafe after your coworker puts mystery chemicals in your drink, for any reason.

But hey, it's just salty coke, right?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I think that being able to feel safe at work is pretty loving important, and if you can't resist the impulse to make your coworkers feel unsafe maybe you should work alone.

I think it's pretty reasonable to feel unsafe after your coworker puts mystery chemicals in your drink, for any reason.

Remember the context: This was for people who were continually putting open containers of soda in spots where they'd been explicitly instructed NOT to put them multiple times, and had drink holders installed for that specific purpose. Given the options of:

A - Salting the drink
B - Throwing their drink away
C - Sending them home for the shift and/or writing them up

Which would you prefer?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Salt the earth. :black101:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Remember the context: This was for people who were continually putting open containers of soda in spots where they'd been explicitly instructed NOT to put them multiple times, and had drink holders installed for that specific purpose. Given the options of:

A - Salting the drink

Which would you prefer?

I don't understand how this isn't an easy b

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mandatory lesbian posted:

Some restaurants/chefs/GMs don't care if people have a nonalcoholic drink on the line, provided the appropriate precautions are taken (such as putting it into an enclosed container and using the drink holders provided) - tossing the drink just means the employee takes 20 seconds to get a new one from the soda machine or soda gun. It's not enough of a deterrent.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So I've been doing so good at running the kitchen Im finally starting to get some leeway in buying better ingredients. Feels good.

Also gently caress people that leave drinks everywhere.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You're going to roll the dice and eventually do this to someone with explosive personality disorder, they will think you poisoned them and try to kill you. They will be completely vindicated, because you did indeed tamper with their drink. How the hell is it worth it? Have you met service industry people? If B isn't working, C all day every day. If they can't follow a simple instruction, dictated by the loving health department, I promise they're loving everything else up too. So C.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Some restaurants/chefs/GMs don't care if people have a nonalcoholic drink on the line, provided the appropriate precautions are taken (such as putting it into an enclosed container and using the drink holders provided) - tossing the drink just means the employee takes 20 seconds to get a new one from the soda machine or soda gun. It's not enough of a deterrent.

Hey, if you’re looking for the drink that was left here, I had to throw it away. It’s not okay to leave drinks there. Please put drinks in the designated drink area. Any drinks found in this place will be thrown away no questions asked. Thank you.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I think you should maybe find another line of work

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Don’t tamper with someone’s food or drink. You’re going to end up hurting someone (no matter how safe you think the substance is) or give others cause to suspect you’re trying to drug people.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Holy poo poo it’s B and if B doesn’t work then it’s C. It’s not that loving hard. A is juvenile frat party bullshit and has no place in any professional setting. How is this so difficult?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You're going to roll the dice and eventually do this to someone with explosive personality disorder, they will think you poisoned them and try to kill you. They will be completely vindicated, because you did indeed tamper with their drink. How the hell is it worth it? Have you met service industry people? If B isn't working, C all day every day. If they can't follow a simple instruction, dictated by the loving health department, I promise they're loving everything else up too. So C.

I've been out of the industry for years but I can promise you that every single coworker I ever had would much rather have their drink salted than getting sent home and written up. One of those is far more likely to provoke a reaction since then you're loving with their paycheck.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Shooting Blanks posted:

A - Salting the drink

Which would you prefer?

B until they learn

If they won't or can't learn not to put drinks in this one specific place, eventually c.

Don't put stuff in drinks, ever. What the gently caress

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've been out of the industry for years but I can promise you that every single coworker I ever had would much rather have their drink salted than getting sent home and written up. One of those is far more likely to provoke a reaction since then you're loving with their paycheck.

That’s the point though?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

B until they learn

If they won't or can't learn not to put drinks in this one specific place, eventually c.

Don't put stuff in drinks, ever. What the gently caress

Yeah, same. It's the passive-agressive thought process of "they transgressed therefore I am in the right to punish them any way I want" that is kind of stupid. Tell them to stop and why they should, and if they don't, then write them up/send them home.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Paycheck isn't a right. I've got a kitchen to run; follow the rules, respect health code, and work professionally. If you can't manage that, I'm sure someone else in town will let you do whatever you want for significantly less $$$/hr, but I don't have time for that.

e: the correct answer is throw the drink away, explain to the person why they can't have an uncovered drink on the line(spilling your coke in the mash means we lose X amount of dollars, and you're going to have to remake the mash!), and that it is non-negotiable. If they do it again, write them up, enact a personalized action plan, and continue to monitor. If it happens again, 2nd write up and/or suspension. 3rd time is termination.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 12, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
jeez, y'all, there's no need to let the salting talk get so hypertensive.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
One week in to minimum wage increase:
I got a fifty cent an hour raise
I tip out an extra half percent
Tips have dropped by fifty percent

Edit: poo poo never mind tips are back baby, it’s everyone else who sucks

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Paycheck isn't a right. I've got a kitchen to run; follow the rules, respect health code, and work professionally. If you can't manage that, I'm sure someone else in town will let you do whatever you want for significantly less $$$/hr, but I don't have time for that.

e: the correct answer is throw the drink away, explain to the person why they can't have an uncovered drink on the line(spilling your coke in the mash means we lose X amount of dollars, and you're going to have to remake the mash!), and that it is non-negotiable. If they do it again, write them up, enact a personalized action plan, and continue to monitor. If it happens again, 2nd write up and/or suspension. 3rd time is termination.

this is so obviously the right answer that i can't fathom the thought process for spiking someone's drink instead. i've worked in fast food kitchens where that kind of management would have been deemed incredibly unprofessional