Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You need to go to their site and do some dumb law stuff

Easy enough. Also what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Easy enough. Also what.

The old versions weren't GDPR compliant so they can't offer them without making users look at a privacy policy/disclaimer or whatever.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can go to their site and get old versions I think, I don’t know 100% because I’m not a coward who lives in the past.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And it's still pretty poo poo. Almost always a smaller landmass than the actual new world, and often pretty ugly too. Plus it's not fun starting up as a colonizer with RNW on only to find a few hours later that your avenues for colonization are extremely limited and you have no trade routes leading to your home node. I had an England game once with RNW on where I fought my best HYW ever and had to give it up because the RNW was utter trash for me.

You can tell of you have incoming from the rnw immediately on starting a new game. Open up the trade map mode, click on the box coming into the node, and you should see some extra tabs labeled ???? for the new world nodes. I think maybe Africa shows up this way too, so look at the historic map first to see what it should look like and what's extra.

I'll restart a few times to make sure trade flows to the major colonizers if I'm intending to play one of them myself.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Annoying change I've noticed since 1.26:

On the Imperial map mode, all of the Emperor's provinces now show up purple regardless of whether the province is in the Empire or not. Didn't use to be like that. For obvious reasons this is a real pain in the rear end if you're playing as the Emperor and want to add more clay to the Empire (as in my current Commonblob game).

Very fun run, actually; I formed the Commonwealth, PUed Hungary and sniped certain key provinces in front of Muscovy to prevent them from forming Russia, while aiming towards usurping the HRE from Austria -- then RNGeesus and the elective monarchy got me a Habsburg king in the 1540s right before the current Austrian emperor died without an heir -- boom, here's the Empire and a PU over Austria, one hard-fought succession war against France later I had just gotten started on beating down the (unusually strong) Reformation, but then the Protestant League formed almost immediately and suddenly we were in a huge hellwar (this time with France on MY side but the Ottomans on the other)... eventually won that, having to give up some Balkan clay to the Ottos (we will be back soon enough) but pushing the eastern frontier a bit further back. Now all I have to deal with is a bunch of Protestants that won't give in for being asked nicely, and some sky-high corruption, and then it's time to pass a bunch of reforms and go forth to kick rear end. But that thing with all the provinces showing up purple is a bit of a bother.

Groke fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 5, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Groke posted:

Didn't use to be like that.

Yes it did, we didn't change that.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Groogy posted:

Yes it did, we didn't change that.

Pretty sure it wasn't last time I did a usurp-the-HRE game, in 1.25 as Catholic Ottomans. In fact I distinctly remember screwing up somewhat badly because at that time my capital province (but none of the others) was purple even though it wasn't added to the Empire yet. (So I thought I had added it but hadn't, so I didn't count as a member of the HRE, so all of the provinces I had added caused me to hemorrhage IA every month, and I had the -50 penalty to being reelected... thankfully I noticed after only a year or two.)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
republics absolutely trend higher for stat gain in the current patch, but the trend is not the most important aspect.

it is control. with disinherited monarchs, you do not know what you are getting until you sacrifice 50 prestige (unless you are scumming), and you know you might have to do it again and again until you get something passable. with a republic, you know you are always getting a 1/1/4 or whatever, and you generally know their age will be somewhere between 30 and 50. this allows you to plan much more effectively. you will spend somewhere in the range of 8-10 years at below average MP gain, and then spend however long your ruler lives for with at least average MP gain. this could be another 30 years, it could be another 50. this strong degree of control is very powerful.

all the while you are strengthening the gov., so your stab cost is always cheap. you won't be taking stab hits all over the show, so you will generally be in positive stab anyway. you will also be sitting at high prestige, so you get all the buffs associated with high prestige. then the best part: you will have a ton of MP in both adm and dip (and less often, mil) lying around, which you can drop into development and mercantilism.

you never have to worry about an heir, so the worst your plan falling off the rails can cost you is about 250 MP in each field, which you will gain back once you power up a new ruler. there is no worrying about an heir suddenly dying while you are 94 years old with -20 prestige, leaving you with a 1/0/2 shitlord.

republics are absolutely meta. their big tradeoff currently is that they have very limited access to absolutism, and I am fine with that. it balances them slightly.

e; i would call the cutoff line for a new ruler which you want to keep as being 44 years old, fwiw.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 5, 2018

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

THE BAR posted:

Easy enough. Also what.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-roll-back-your-game-version.1121392/

Groke posted:

Pretty sure it wasn't last time I did a usurp-the-HRE game, in 1.25 as Catholic Ottomans.

Same here. I just finished my last 1.25 game yesterday (finally got One Faith as Cathomans). When I became emperor, my provinces that I hadn't added to the HRE were not highlighted purple in the imperial map view until I added them.

One Faith was much easier with Catholic Najd and U-Tsang as vassals. I was so dumb to just try and brute force it last time.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone else had a go at the Mughals? Not necessarily the achievement, but using it as a guideline. I was playing yesterday, starting as Afghanistan, nowhere near getting the achievement, but I formed the Mughals but at a great cost. I went way over forcelimit and into debt to get the mission once I felt I was kind of ready. Then went on a conquering spree. Problem was I was already kind of starved for admin points or at least tech after a string of terrible rulers and then I had to debase my currency to service my loans from the wars to form the Mughals, so it all kind of ended up in a rut where everything just looks kind of lovely and I'm way behind in admin tech, and ideas and so corrupt that I can't really get any idea or tech without ending up way behind in others and nowhere near having enough land to be anywhere near Mughal level.

Any general tips? I thought about maybe starting as Transoxiana instead because they start out stronger and then going down towards Afghanistan in the first couple of decades to get the necessary border and working on getting more development to expand my forcelimit, probably still have to go over to get the misison unless I want to wait a good long while, but should be more bearable with a stronger economy at my back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there a reason you don't want to start as the Timurids? They're by far the easiest way to form the Mughals.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Anyone else had a go at the Mughals? Not necessarily the achievement, but using it as a guideline. I was playing yesterday, starting as Afghanistan, nowhere near getting the achievement, but I formed the Mughals but at a great cost. I went way over forcelimit and into debt to get the mission once I felt I was kind of ready. Then went on a conquering spree. Problem was I was already kind of starved for admin points or at least tech after a string of terrible rulers and then I had to debase my currency to service my loans from the wars to form the Mughals, so it all kind of ended up in a rut where everything just looks kind of lovely and I'm way behind in admin tech, and ideas and so corrupt that I can't really get any idea or tech without ending up way behind in others and nowhere near having enough land to be anywhere near Mughal level.

Any general tips? I thought about maybe starting as Transoxiana instead because they start out stronger and then going down towards Afghanistan in the first couple of decades to get the necessary border and working on getting more development to expand my forcelimit, probably still have to go over to get the misison unless I want to wait a good long while, but should be more bearable with a stronger economy at my back.

Don't eat like 1000 ducats in debt in 1445 for some permaclaims and an ok general. Just fabricate like normal and eat them and then take the mission once you can get to the forcelimit normally. Afghanistan is the best start for the achievement, just get the Mamluks to support you, ally Transoxonia, and take all your cores back from the Timurids and then immediately fight whoever in india has the provinces you need to form Mughals, hopefully before their alliance web gets too messy.

Also, you should almost never debase to pay off your loans, just take more loans

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there a reason you don't want to start as the Timurids? They're by far the easiest way to form the Mughals.

The achievement

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It's more fun (and historical) to start as one of their subjects. Also, I don't really want to have too much land in Iran.

Started out as Transoxiana now. It's 1456, I'm free of the Timurids, my northern flank is secure by way of alliances with Chagatai and Uzbek I've vassalized Khorasan and plan to feed them Afghanistan and whatever parts of northern and eastern Iran I pick up along the way, I also just took Roh and Jalalabad from Afghanistan and am planning to vassalize Ladakh next before I start making strategic alliances with Indian states.

Firebatgyro posted:

Don't eat like 1000 ducats in debt in 1445 for some permaclaims and an ok general. Just fabricate like normal and eat them and then take the mission once you can get to the forcelimit normally. Afghanistan is the best start for the achievement, just get the Mamluks to support you, ally Transoxonia, and take all your cores back from the Timurids and then immediately fight whoever in india has the provinces you need to form Mughals, hopefully before their alliance web gets too messy.

Also, you should almost never debase to pay off your loans, just take more loans

Yeah, you're right about the debasement, I had just never really gotten into an interest spiral like that playing after the introduction of debasement (it's been a while since I played regularly) and figured it could help and it just made it terrible in a different way.

I'm feeling Transoxiana is better than Afhanistan though, at worst you're only a couple of years behind maybe, grab a border with Afhanistan in the independence war (in my two runs I've won this one easily without outside help, though in this one it helped that the Timurids declared war against Ajam which helped even though all my allies abandoned me, which meant all the Timurid vassals were neutral) then go straight for Afghanistan and take Roh of their hands after that. Shouldn't take too long, meanwhile Transoxiana is a much better power base than Afghanistan.

Also, Transoxiana can easily complete a mission tree which gives +15% shock damage for 15 years and they also have +20% cavalry combat ability from their first national idea (and -10% cavalry cost from their traditions). Everything I'm seeing seems to make them the superior choice, everything but position, though even that can be rectified quickly.

Firebatgyro posted:

The achievement

Yeah. I have doubts about actually getting the achievement as it's a bit insane, but it's a fun guideline for this campaign.

e: A related question. Which Indian countries make good marches?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 5, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Randarkman posted:

e: A related question. Which Indian countries make good marches?

Mewar and Nepal are the top two, but Nepal is a formable now so unless it forms by itself or you do shenanigans it won't happen naturally.

Punjab is pretty decent but all their cores are in the bit of territory you really want to own personally.

Mysore also has very good military ideas.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

How's it work again if I fight someone whose territory is partly terra incognita? I had to put off vassalizing Ladakh a bit and it seems they've conquered a couple of provinces in Himalaya since then which are unknown to me. Will I gain knowledge of these if I go to war? Or will I simply not be able to go there?

I guess an alternative is to grab Margalla (province in Sind Sagar region needed for the conquest of Delhi mission chain) from Kashmir, vassalize the rest then feed the Hindustan provinces of Ladakh to Kashmir.

RabidWeasel posted:

Mewar and Nepal are the top two, but Nepal is a formable now so unless it forms by itself or you do shenanigans it won't happen naturally.

Punjab is pretty decent but all their cores are in the bit of territory you really want to own personally.

Mysore also has very good military ideas.

Seems Mewar has Rajput ideas. That's a couple of other nations as well. Rajput marches then.

Also on the agenda, cleanup war against Timurids to get the rest of Khorasan's cores then against Afghanistan after truce runs out pretty up the borders.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Randarkman posted:

How's it work again if I fight someone whose territory is partly terra incognita? I had to put off vassalizing Ladakh a bit and it seems they've conquered a couple of provinces in Himalaya since then which are unknown to me. Will I gain knowledge of these if I go to war? Or will I simply not be able to go there?

All armies moving through hostile territory are be treated as if led by a conquistador: they get there slower but map the area in the process.

This DOESN'T apply to unsettled land, mind.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MaxieSatan posted:

All armies moving through hostile territory are be treated as if led by a conquistador: they get there slower but map the area in the process.

This DOESN'T apply to unsettled land, mind.

Alright. Thinking about it I think I prefer vassalizing Kashmir and feeding the land to them. They are Muslims after all and I could annex them down the road if I feel the itch.

e: Quick, idea group recommendation! I'm thinking either influence or administrative. Leaning more towards administrative first.

e2: Woo, event for heir with weak claim fired, 6/2/5. I'll take it! Wonder what I'll call him...

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 5, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What is limiting your expansion, the fact that you have a lot of countries hating you for beating up their 'friends' and integrating vassals taking a long time (Influence) or not enough admin points for the rich provinces and keeping up with tech (Administration)?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

What is limiting your expansion, the fact that you have a lot of countries hating you for beating up their 'friends' and integrating vassals taking a long time (Influence) or not enough admin points for the rich provinces and keeping up with tech (Administration)?

None of those currently. But I am gonna be coring a bunch of land in the somewhat near future in order to complete the conquest of Delhi mission chain and form Mughals. Also my upcoming ruler has 6 adm and 2 dip*, so I think it'll have to be Administrative though a military idea group is also a possibility, especially as the admin points will be a precious commodity for a while.

*Currently only 2 years old, and good old Ulugh Beg just passed 70 and has no consort. Looking at a regency council here...

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 5, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Another Person posted:

republics absolutely trend higher for stat gain in the current patch, but the trend is not the most important aspect.

it is control. with disinherited monarchs, you do not know what you are getting until you sacrifice 50 prestige (unless you are scumming), and you know you might have to do it again and again until you get something passable. with a republic, you know you are always getting a 1/1/4 or whatever, and you generally know their age will be somewhere between 30 and 50. this allows you to plan much more effectively. you will spend somewhere in the range of 8-10 years at below average MP gain, and then spend however long your ruler lives for with at least average MP gain. this could be another 30 years, it could be another 50. this strong degree of control is very powerful.

all the while you are strengthening the gov., so your stab cost is always cheap. you won't be taking stab hits all over the show, so you will generally be in positive stab anyway. you will also be sitting at high prestige, so you get all the buffs associated with high prestige. then the best part: you will have a ton of MP in both adm and dip (and less often, mil) lying around, which you can drop into development and mercantilism.

you never have to worry about an heir, so the worst your plan falling off the rails can cost you is about 250 MP in each field, which you will gain back once you power up a new ruler. there is no worrying about an heir suddenly dying while you are 94 years old with -20 prestige, leaving you with a 1/0/2 shitlord.

republics are absolutely meta. their big tradeoff currently is that they have very limited access to absolutism, and I am fine with that. it balances them slightly.

e; i would call the cutoff line for a new ruler which you want to keep as being 44 years old, fwiw.

Maybe you have way better luck than me but I rarely have rulers live to be older than 60 let alone 70+; the latter is so rare in my experience that I don't even think of it as a thing that can happen. the wiki seems to back me up on this even though it's not a perfect resource. If everyone lived that long then yeah republics would own.

Randarkman posted:

Seems Mewar has Rajput ideas. That's a couple of other nations as well. Rajput marches then.

Mewar has unique ideas, if you checked the wiki it's probably out of date. Also you can always move into TI if you're at war with the province's owner.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 5, 2018

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

So what strategy do you guys use for institutions? I've been developing to seed the first 3 and then getting annoyed with my neighbors riding my coattails.

I want a state edict that suppresses institution spread to hostile neighbors.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Depends where I am in the world.

Europe? Maaaaybe if my capital is a shithole to reach an Age requirement.

New World? Seeding for first and third, snaking a province from a CN to get the second.
Africa? Same idea as the New World, but might seed Colonialism to avoid fighting a strong Euro presence.

India? Seeding for all three, there's no room for a Euro to get a province in a decent amount of time (non-Dharma).

Asia and the Phillippines? You bet I'm going to be seeding for (and attempting to secure Colonialism) all three Euro-centered institutions. I tried to delay on Printing Press once because I saw it starts spreading from your capital at Diplo-tech 15 but it wasn't fast enough; the colonizers were already getting involved whose provinces had it while I was < 50% on my single province.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Family Values posted:

So what strategy do you guys use for institutions? I've been developing to seed the first 3 and then getting annoyed with my neighbors riding my coattails.

I want a state edict that suppresses institution spread to hostile neighbors.

Don't worry about your neighbors getting passive institution spread off of you. Unless they've got like a 30+ province on your border, it's still going to take a long time for them to be able to embrace the institution.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There we go. Mughals, 1501, as my event spawned 6/2/5 ruler, Babur (forgot that the game wants to spell it "Babûr").

Khorasan is my march. Next order of business I think is to force vassalization on Mewar, I have a truce with them that will soon run out and they are guaranteed by Jaunpur who I currently have a truce with, hopefully they'll protect them, that means I can work my way east at a pretty good pace. There's also a number of smaller countries, they will have to go. Should pick up another vassal in addition to Mewar to feed them to, though I might end up annexing this one (Mewar is to be a march). Malwa is my ally, but not sure how long I want to keep that going as they are quite big now and I'd prefer them to get cut down to size, will have to find another mid-sized country or two to ally in place of them and then I can begin eating them when the truce runs out.

Not feeling confident in getting the achievement, but I still want to see how much I can grab as fast as possible. I'm in debt, but not corrupt, and the debt isn't necessarily out of control especially if I can keep up a good pace of expansion. The 500 gold reward from the mission chain helped. I'm also considering just selling some of my worse provinces in Central Asia to my ally Uzbek and in time possibly just splitting off a large portion of my Central Asian realm as a vassal once I have enough good territory in India.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
I've been spending the last like 80 years in my Britain campaign gradually picking apart at the HRE with the end goal of annexing or force-converting all valid candidates for emperor

It's slow going but it's keeping the mid-to-late game a lot more satisfying than it usually would be, imo. Over half the princes are currently heretics and I've nearly wiped out Austria and Bavaria, so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They nerfed the failed rains event, thank gently caress. It used to give a rediculous amount of devestation for like 20 years.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Any tips for the new Wallachia?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

disinherit basarab immediately to keep the draculesti dynasty, also vlad iii sucks

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

guns for tits posted:

Any tips for the new Wallachia?

Switch to Moldavia. Shittier ideas but it’s a way easier start since you can just build up to force limit, declare ASAP, and annex them in one war.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, Scandinavia doesn't have any special ideas or events?

This is even more shocking than when I found out they had Iceland and the Faroes as "Norwegian" which is a cultural travesty on a massive scale

How is this even possible????

why would you want scandinavian ideas when you could just keep your superior swedish ones anyway

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

skasion posted:

Switch to Moldavia. Shittier ideas but it’s a way easier start since you can just build up to force limit, declare ASAP, and annex them in one war.

I got lucky and Poland was a lazy rear end in a top hat who refused to help its vassal. I own all of Moldavia now

Edit: loving ottomans

guns for tits fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 6, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Prav posted:

why would you want scandinavian ideas when you could just keep your superior swedish ones anyway

I always thought that Danish naval ideas were on par with England's... Until I saw that Great Britain gets their own.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

guns for tits posted:

Edit: loving ottomans

Ottoman start.txt

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Detheros posted:

Ottoman start.txt

What’s worse is they are best friends somehow when ever I don’t play as them

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm playing France and it's 1591 and Protestantism and Reformation is spreading a lot through my nation. I've managed to avoid a potential disaster by doing some National Decisions however maybe I should just convert to Reformed or Protestant?

Although I sort of remember doing that in an old France game and then getting dog piled by all the Catholic nations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's easier if there are other powerful Protestant/Reformed countries to ally with but Ottomans and Muscowy/Russia can do in a pinch.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I'm playing France and it's 1591 and Protestantism and Reformation is spreading a lot through my nation. I've managed to avoid a potential disaster by doing some National Decisions however maybe I should just convert to Reformed or Protestant?

Although I sort of remember doing that in an old France game and then getting dog piled by all the Catholic nations.

Depends on how thw reformation is turning out. Checking on map how many countries are protestant, and how the Leagues are shaping up in the HRE interface is a good guide.

That said, I usually stay catholic. The papal influence mechanic is a great way to pile up Mercantilism and make buttloads of cash, get a Legitimacy boost when your heir comes out looking a bit bastard-y, and more. It's very strong and flexible.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Big nations accrue papal influence more quickly and thus benefit more from Catholicism than small nations do too, as opposed to Protestant/Reformed whose gain in religious power is largely independent of their size.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You also get pope points for converting provinces, so if you're doing lots of that, then stick with catholicism for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Write-in option: convert to Anglicanism, if it's present. You get the +stability and +mercantilism buttons from Catholicism, plus a free money button, and you accumulate church power much faster than pope points.