Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I wasn’t ascribing nefarious motive.

Yet the act is still what it is and the patient will still understand that the consequences of continued symptoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Paul Bettany talks a little about filming M&C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIwJ53XpxU&t=248s

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
After all we're talking about a regular boring doctor that randomly appears, not Stephen. :razz:

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

"The operation was a success but the patient died" is a hoary old joke though.

O'Brian does love to poke fun at the doctors sometimes. I forget which book it is where Stephen and another doctor get seasick, but of course it can't be as simple as that so they are diagnosing and prescribing each other, and when the rough seas end decide all their cures worked at the same time while Jack and the other sailors just smirk knowingly.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So I've been through this thread and since I've read the books through like three times I figured 'get the audio books everyone's going on about' but Audible doesn't have the Tull versions. I'm shattered. Are the other narrators alright?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Ric Jerrom is fantastic.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Nuclear War posted:

So I've been through this thread and since I've read the books through like three times I figured 'get the audio books everyone's going on about' but Audible doesn't have the Tull versions. I'm shattered. Are the other narrators alright?

I've got 5 of the Tull-narrated books, all of them from Audible? They're the Recorded Books editions.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

I have the entire set narrated by Tull in my audible app.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Commander-Aubrey-Maturin-Book/dp/B0001BJED2/ref=tmm_aud_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1529421270&sr=8-3

On amazon, go to see all versions and select "Audible Unabridged" and there will be two choices, one from 2004 and one from 2010.

Patrick Tull is the 2004 edition.

Simon Vance is 2010.

I've listened to a few of the Simon Vance editions, he's fine but Tull is magic.

e: never listened to Ric Jerrom.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nuclear War posted:

I have the entire series narrarated by Tull on audible. They've got both versions.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Murgos posted:

I have the entire set narrated by Tull in my audible app.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Commander-Aubrey-Maturin-Book/dp/B0001BJED2/ref=tmm_aud_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1529421270&sr=8-3

On amazon, go to see all versions and select "Audible Unabridged" and there will be two choices, one from 2004 and one from 2010.

Patrick Tull is the 2004 edition.

Simon Vance is 2010.

I've listened to a few of the Simon Vance editions, he's fine but Tull is magic.

e: never listened to Ric Jerrom.

I assume its cause I'm on an extended stay in the UK. I've never had trouble finding stuff on Amazon before though, so its really weird.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Sorry for the double post but it turns out it was a 'where is your billing address' issue since I travel a lot between Europe and the US and was using a European issued card connected to a Scandinavian adress. Its never been a problem before so I didn't think to do anything about it, but merely adding a US address to the same card was enough to give me access to the better class of audiobooks. Halfway through M&C now and loving it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, by the end of the series Pullings is a post-captain and must be pretty well off financially even only getting a fraction of an eighth for most of Aubrey’s prizes (the cruise in the pacific as surprises captain must have been really lucrative) and also only in his early to mid-30s since we meet him as a gangly teenager in 1801 and the books never make it much past 1815.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think time still passes even though the historical years don't (so the characters don't match the years anymore), but yeah Pullings is either super well off or had been financing a hell of a opiate addiction.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Finally read 21, and it's a bittersweet read. Shame about the pretty obvious Chekhov's "Dude Stephen is clearly going to shoot/stab in a duel" that is unresolved....

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Murgos posted:

So, by the end of the series Pullings is a post-captain and must be pretty well off financially even only getting a fraction of an eighth for most of Aubrey’s prizes (the cruise in the pacific as surprises captain must have been really lucrative) and also only in his early to mid-30s since we meet him as a gangly teenager in 1801 and the books never make it much past 1815.

1813 lasts for several years, as evidenced by the children getting older - and Jack and Stephen seem firmly in their late forties by the end of the series, when starting in their early Twenties in 1801.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think both are near 30 in Post Captain. Being made post before 30 is unusual enough to remark on later in the series.

I think Sophia is explicitly 28 when they marry.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Here's a bit that I just got to in my re-read that I never quite understood, from The Letter of Marque. Stephen and Padeen are in his room at the Grapes, and I think they're getting Stephen's luggage together for a journey:

quote:

A heavy step on the stairs, and Mrs Broad, pushing the door open with a crooked elbow, came in with two piles of fresh laundry between her outstretched arms and her chin. "There now," she cried. "All your frilled shirts got up prime, with the finest goffering-iron you ever seen. Mrs Maturin always liked them got up in Cecil Court," she added in an aside to Stephen, and then loud and clear to Padeen, as though he were at the masthead, "In the wery middle, Padeen, between the spare sheets and the lamb's wool drawers."
Padeen repeatedly touched his forehead in submission, and as soon as she had gone he and Stephen, having looked quickly around the room, moved chairs to the foot of a tall wardrobe. Even with a chair, however, Stephen was unable to reach the top, and he was obliged to stand there, giving Padeen pages of The Times, then shirts, then more pages, and advice on just how they were to be laid; and he was in this posture, uttering the words "Never mind the frill, so the collar do not show," when the slim, light-footed Lucy darted in, crying "An express for the Doctor -- oh, sir!" She understood the position in the first second; she gazed with horror and then with extreme disapprobation. They looked wretchedly confused, guilty, lumpish; they found nothing to say until Stephen muttered "We were just laying them there for the now."
Lucy pursed her lips and said "Here is your letter, sir," putting it down on the table.
Stephen said, "You need not mention it to Mrs Broad, Lucy."
Lucy said, "I never was a tell-tale yet; but oh Padeen, and your hands all covered with the dust up there, for shame."
Stephen took the letter, and his look of nervous guilt vanished as he recognized Jack Aubrey's hand.

Is it just that they'd already sealed up Stephen's sea-chest before the laundry came? What are Stephen and Padeen doing, why so guilty, and what's the deal with bringing chairs to get to the top of the wardrobe?

e: oh, is he just hiding his frilled shirts on top of the wardrobe because he hates them, and got caught like a guilty child?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 7, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah he either doesn't like the frilled shirts or has no use for them at sea.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I have read that passage 3 or 4 times and I never figured it out til I sat down and typed it out. I always thought he was having Padeen pack the shirts into his sea-chest or the wardrobe, and I couldn't figure out why he needed to be on top of a chair or why they were so embarrassed to get caught. So he's hiding the shirts in a stack of newspapers on top of the wardrobe? I thought they were just packing the shirts with newspaper so they didn't get crushed inside the sea-chest. :)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The great thing about these books is that there are so many subtle little things that aren't explicitly spelled out throughout the books that no matter how many times I re-read them I always catch on to something new that flew over my head the previous times.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

He doesn't hate the shirts, it's that he and Padeen JUST got done packing the sea trunk as tight and neat as could be with ropes and fancy knots, and were not going to open it again to put in some shirts.

edit: However Stephen does remember his laudanum, and I'm sure if it had been left out they would have repacked the chest.

Sax Solo fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 7, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Class Warcraft posted:

The great thing about these books is that there are so many subtle little things that aren't explicitly spelled out throughout the books that no matter how many times I re-read them I always catch on to something new that flew over my head the previous times.

I can already tell this is a book series I'll revisit at least once later in life. I finished The Fortune of War a couple months ago and took a break but need to refresh myself on the reference material and start The Surgeon's Mate. I still think about HMS Surprise and the stealthy night raid to save Maturin from French and Spanish interrogators all the time since it's probably my favorite action sequence of the series (so far).

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

since it's probably my favorite action sequence of the series (so far).

Oh for me it's gotta be the Waakzaamheid.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Sax Solo posted:

I'm on my third circumnavigation and just started Desolation Island - really looking forward to this part.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Sax Solo posted:

So many great battle scenes in the series, but that's the one that really sticks with me. "My God, my God, six hundred men..."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Sax Solo posted:

Yeah, this was definitely a great one. It ends with a real gut punch, too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s also the buildup that makes it great. While they are in port in Brazil, they see the other ship that has been savaged by the Dutch 74. Then later sighting a ship, Jack thinks it might be the same Dutch ship, but he isn’t sure.

Then the attempts to lose the 74 at night, with the Dutch captain thinking right along with Jack, and each day at sunrise he’s right there, not falling for Jack’s tricks. Followed by the long chase into worsening weather, etc., culminating with the shot hitting the mast. Man.

I think it’s maybe my favorite few dozen pages of any novel, ever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I can't remember the line, but when Jack spots the other captain had a black armband and idly wonders if he killed his son during the last engagement gave me chills. They used the line again in the movie, but it wasn't as impactful.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Tis quoted in the provided link. :eng101:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
My favorite is a multi-ship action in a small bay in the med, I can't remember which book, possibly Treason's Harbor? It has a lovely description of the Surprise "Throwing out sail after sail" as she come to the rescue of another ship, which unfortunately explodes.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

yaffle posted:

My favorite is a multi-ship action in a small bay in the med, I can't remember which book, possibly Treason's Harbor? It has a lovely description of the Surprise "Throwing out sail after sail" as she come to the rescue of another ship, which unfortunately explodes.

It is the end of Treason’s Harbour, the ship is the Pollux.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Genghis Cohen posted:

It is the end of Treason’s Harbour, the ship is the Pollux.
How did I miss that being the name of a star whilst reading? Is there a Castor in the fleet as well?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know if I could pick a second favorite ship action. The one in the beginning of Post Captain where Jack is a passenger on an Indiaman and helps defend against a French privateer was good with an unusual, non-quarterdeck, POV. (This is the one where the Misses Lamb are posing as powder boys, but Jack doesn't recognize them and cusses them out.)

My least favorite ship action is easily the Shannon/Chesapeake fight in Fortune of War. It's a boring battle in the first place, and there's a faint stink of national pride in the writing, too.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Fortune of War is general was kinda meh except for Maturin ganking some spies.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I enjoyed the final action in Post Captain, where the Polychrest founders and the Fanciulla is taken. That was a pretty fun battle.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

yaffle posted:

Yeah, that one was fun. Jack ends it feeling dejected, even though they wrecked one of the French frigates on the way out, and then the start of the next book has an admiral telling Jack he needs to rewrite his report to make it sound like the victory it actually was.

I remember being vaguely disappointed with some of the last battles (Hundred Days?) where Jack is in charge of a squadron and in command of a 74, and thinking "Man, we're finally going to see a big fleet action" only to have it described in a few lines as Jack laying alongside the enemy ship-of-the-line and hammering them until they struck their colors. I remember realizing that yeah, there's probably no one in the world that can accurately describe something like that anymore.

But I can't believe no one's mentioned the Surprise rushing to cut off Linois' 74 to protect the China convoy in HMS Surprise. Basically a suicide run exposing his tiny frigate to fifteen minutes of broadsides in hopes of laying off her bow and smashing her up enough to make Linois turn away. Or the battle with the Torgud and her terrible consorts where the Royal Navy just makes a joke out of their half-trained sailors.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The torgud and even the landings/town taking/ship burning in that book are among my favorites. The build up for the weird cannon that shot marble was great.

I liked especially all the hoisting up of cannon above a town, firing a few shots to show how screwed their opponents were and just waiting for the white flag.

Also here's a video game with some crossover appeal for Aubrey maturing readers.

https://youtu.be/ILolesm8kFY

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Molybdenum posted:

I liked especially all the hoisting up of cannon above a town, firing a few shots to show how screwed their opponents were and just waiting for the white flag.
When I read it the second time all their hoists for those cannon seemed much shorter. I was sad.

There's also the one where a crew member climbs up a steep cliff to set up the tackle, then they send up some chasers to lob into the bay on the other side. (My memory is rather bad for titles, though.)

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm almost done with the first book, been reading at a very leisurely pace just before I go to bed every night and I find it very soothing. I'm glad there are still 20 books ahead of me, and I'm eyeing A Sea of Words used on Amazon, as well as the cookbook. Is there a type of visual dictionary you folks would recommend? I'd really like to see a cross-section of the ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
See of Words has lots of pictures and diagrams. Perhaps not the detail to build a vessel of your own, but probably enough.