Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Some Muslims in Israel have more of some rights than some Muslims in some other parts of the Middle East is a fair statement.

Out of curiosity: Which rights do Shia Muslims in Saudi Arabia have that Israeli Muslims lack? Just as an example?

I'm speaking strictly of those Muslims living in Israel proper, Palestinians clearly have less rights than basically any other group in the ME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Out of curiosity: Which rights do Shia Muslims in Saudi Arabia have that Israeli Muslims lack? Just as an example?

I'm speaking strictly of those Muslims living in Israel proper, Palestinians clearly have less rights than basically any other group in the ME.

Palestinians are among those Muslims living under Israeli rule, not sure why you would qualify it as Muslims in Israel "proper". Is it because Israel fenced them off, so they don't count?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Palestinians are among those Muslims living under Israeli rule, not sure why you would qualify it as Muslims in Israel "proper". Is it because Israel fenced them off, so they don't count?

Perhaps we are talking past each other? For me, Palestinians don't live in Israel. They live in Palestine, which Israel is illegally occupying. If you want to quibble with this, I'll correct my question:

Which rights do Shia Muslims living in Saudi Arabia enjoy that non-Palestinian Muslims living in Israel lack?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Like half of the territory that Israel says is inside of their borders is illegally occupied Palestine

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Inside every Palestinian there is an Israeli waiting to come out. Its a hardball world son. We gotta try to keep our heads until this human rights craze blows over.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps we are talking past each other? For me, Palestinians don't live in Israel. They live in Palestine, which Israel is illegally occupying. If you want to quibble with this, I'll correct my question:

Which rights do Shia Muslims living in Saudi Arabia enjoy that non-Palestinian Muslims living in Israel lack?

Muslims have held general officer positions in the IDF and served on the Israeli Supreme Court. I don’t think Shia Muslims are allowed in such high ranking positions in KSA?

I’m sure if it was up to Netanyahu all that would be prohibited...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Y'all are giving Ben Shapiro way too much loving credit in his response. Stop taking Fox seriously and giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Viva Miriya posted:

Inside every Palestinian there is an Israeli waiting to come out. Its a hardball world son. We gotta try to keep our heads until this human rights craze blows over.

I just watched that yesterday for the first time since before I had enlisted. Very different experience.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Y'all are giving Ben Shapiro way too much loving credit in his response. Stop taking Fox seriously and giving them the benefit of the doubt.

We need something to comment on beyond the fact he looks like the living embodiment of a gully rear end wonderbread looking motherfucker in a suit, and plays that part faithfully day to day.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Viva Miriya posted:

Sir, does this mean Gal Gadot isn't coming?

BigDave fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 8, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:rip: JLO

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

JLO DIED?!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

drat YOU 2018!!

WHEN WILL YOUR BLOODLUST BE SATIATED?!!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's a Generation Kill reference :ssh:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Casimir Radon posted:

It's a Generation Kill reference :ssh:

oh word?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1049306032407760897

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

They are just telling us she's dead so we get pissed off.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Ray, the battalion commander offered no sitrep as to J-Lo's status.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:siren:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870981

Register to vote or I will build an arduino robot to make fun of you.

Seriously, I'm going to make a tiny little robot and record it pointing and laughing at you with servos.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

EBB posted:

Seriously, I'm going to make a tiny little robot and record it pointing and laughing at you with servos.

dont kinkshame

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Business loss. Write it off.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

the wealthy: okay so seriously we might actually need the weather bunkers this generation

invisible hand: i got you fam

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EBB posted:

the wealthy: okay so seriously we might actually need the weather bunkers this generation

The builders are gonna put knock out gas in canisters along side the fire prevention system and go around to harvest them as needed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EBB posted:

Nothing about air though. :thunk:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

EBB posted:

Remember those rich people who wondered if they needed to put control collars on people after the collapse happens?

https://medium.com/s/futurehuman/survival-of-the-richest-9ef6cddd0cc1

quote:

Last year, I got invited to a super-deluxe private resort to deliver a keynote speech to what I assumed would be a hundred or so investment bankers. It was by far the largest fee I had ever been offered for a talk — about half my annual professor’s salary — all to deliver some insight on the subject of “the future of technology.”

After I arrived, I was ushered into what I thought was the green room. But instead of being wired with a microphone or taken to a stage, I just sat there at a plain round table as my audience was brought to me: five super-wealthy guys — yes, all men — from the upper echelon of the hedge fund world. After a bit of small talk, I realized they had no interest in the information I had prepared about the future of technology. They had come with questions of their own.

Which region will be less impacted by the coming climate crisis: New Zealand or Alaska? Is Google really building Ray Kurzweil a home for his brain, and will his consciousness live through the transition, or will it die and be reborn as a whole new one? Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked, “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?”

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers — if that technology could be developed in time.

For them, the future of technology is really about just one thing: escape.

When the hedge funders asked me the best way to maintain authority over their security forces after “the event,” I suggested that their best bet would be to treat those people really well, right now. They should be engaging with their security staffs as if they were members of their own family. And the more they can expand this ethos of inclusivity to the rest of their business practices, supply chain management, sustainability efforts, and wealth distribution, the less chance there will be of an “event” in the first place. All this technological wizardry could be applied toward less romantic but entirely more collective interests right now.

They were amused by my optimism, but they didn’t really buy it. They were not interested in how to avoid a calamity; they’re convinced we are too far gone. For all their wealth and power, they don’t believe they can affect the future. They are simply accepting the darkest of all scenarios and then bringing whatever money and technology they can employ to insulate themselves — especially if they can’t get a seat on the rocket to Mars.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

Remember those rich people who wondered if they needed to put control collars on people after the collapse happens?

I would kill and eat my employer the minute he tried to stick on a collar on me.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
loving eat the rich

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EBB posted:

I voted absentee a week ago baby!!!!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
You can tell just how disconnected they are from reality because the obvious answer is actually "grant land and titles of nobility in exchange for loyalty."

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1049311785713655809

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The guillotine would be too kind for these people, bring back drawing and quartering.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

C.M. Kruger posted:

You can tell just how disconnected they are from reality because the obvious answer is actually "grant land and titles of nobility in exchange for loyalty."

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1049311785713655809

I'm right in the middle of it, but just sheltering in place. Going to the store in a bit to grab some beer/vodka/food and maybe some empty jugs for water.

edit: also :lol: the ocean around the carolinas is hosed

https://twitter.com/SierraClub/status/1044776087362981888

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 8, 2018

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

That's a lot of payoffs

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Thank you, I was racking my brain trying to remember what those quotes were from

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm right in the middle of it, but just sheltering in place. Going to the store in a bit to grab some beer/vodka/food and maybe some empty jugs for water.

edit: also :lol: the ocean around the carolinas is hosed

https://twitter.com/SierraClub/status/1044776087362981888

Coal ash and pig poo poo, baby

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The only bright side about all this is these people are loving terrified, probably more than they even need to be, and it just warms my cold, dead heart.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm in Miami and it's a beautiful day so *shrug*

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

quote:

When the hedge funders asked me the best way to maintain authority over their security forces after “the event,”

You don't

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
All of those ideas are terrible.

Know the secret combo locks to the food? Yeah ok, what if someone just...tortures it out of you? It isn't hard, and it's not like there won't be any laws to stop you. Make more pain than a person can endure. Easy, you just need some rope, a chair, and a pair of pliers. Hell, you don't even need any of that since it's hedge fund managers we're talking about. Biometrics? Ever see Demolition Man?

The only way to ensure survival of a group is that everyone buys in to that community.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

Know the secret combo locks to the food? Yeah ok, what if someone just...tortures it out of you? It isn't hard, and it's not like there won't be any laws to stop you. Make more pain than a person can endure. Easy, you just need some rope, a chair, and a pair of pliers. Hell, you don't even need any of that since it's hedge fund managers we're talking about. Biometrics? Ever see Demolition Man?

The only way to ensure survival of a group is that everyone buys in to that community.

Communities are for the weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Vasudus posted:

Yes, yes... And how do I buy that community? - hedge fund genius

• Locked thread