Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Yawgmoft posted:

Is it wrong that I love it?

Not at all; in fact I think it's the only clear variant I actually like the look of. The overall effect makes it look like a 3D wireframe rendering from the eighties.

I'm currently working on the HGTB Psycho Zaku, and while it is an awesome kit so far, I just spent way too much time applying black stickers onto a black backpack, and I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

October release yessss. I'm back on Tokyo from the 26th!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

you need to drink more water

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Awww yiss, say what you want about Bandai, they sure as hell know how to get me to buy a thing.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
A couple of my MG Guntank's track links are broken. Is there still a sprue replacement service for the US?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vaporware posted:

A couple of my MG Guntank's track links are broken. Is there still a sprue replacement service for the US?

Yeah, it's called buy another MG Guntank. :v:

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Thought about it, but then I would have 2 guntanks and I would still be short on track links!
"No my son I love your older brother more, give him your tracks"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaporware posted:

Thought about it, but then I would have 2 guntanks and I would still be short on track links!
"No my son I love your older brother more, give him your tracks"

Get a set of 1/100 soldiers and make a "poo poo, we threw a track" diorama.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Vaporware posted:

If it's not a unique part, you could cast a replacement. There's some good tutorials online. It won't come out as nicely, I bet, but it should be serviceable for a tread on the bottom - especially if you're painting.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get a set of 1/100 soldiers and make a "poo poo, we threw a track" diorama.

Use this as an excuse to buy a new MG and make a diorama of the new MG standing atop a ruined Guntank

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I noticed Netflix has a Gundam, Mobile suit Gundam UC. This is the first gundam I've seen aside from one ep of build fighters. My observations so far are:

1. The mecha are cool, those basic soldier types don't last long do they

2. I'm in the middle of the start of a confusing war, and about half the characters are slan or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I noticed Netflix has a Gundam, Mobile suit Gundam UC. This is the first gundam I've seen aside from one ep of build fighters. My observations so far are:

1. The mecha are cool, those basic soldier types don't last long do they

2. I'm in the middle of the start of a confusing war, and about half the characters are slan or something

Quick rundown: the show takes place sixteen years after a giant war where half of humanity died in one month. Instead of a decisive victory countless smaller successor conflicts spurred up in the aftermath, and the Sleeves are the perpetrators of the latest war. The major conflicts of UC are the One Year War (Federation vs Zeon), the Gryps Conflict (Federation civil war between Earth supremacists and Spacenoid sympathizers), the First Neo Zeon War (where Zeon attacked a weakened Federation immediately following the end of the Gryps Conflict), the Second Neo Zeon War (Where ace pilot turned Zeon icon Char Aznable tried to throw asteroids at earth to force a mass migration to space) and the current Third Neo Zeon War (the Sleeves and Federation fighting for control of a mysterious trump card called Laplace's Box, which is supposed to contain incriminating evidence that could cripple the Federation and galvanize spacenoids into joining the Zeon cause)

If you're unfamiliar with UC Gundam, just know that anyone called a newtype is a psychic human who can 1: communicate telepathically and from beyond the grave and 2: pilot mobile suits really really well. Char Aznable was a notorious Zeon mobile suit pilot turned revolutionary who went on a vendetta against Zeon's ruling Zabi family for (allegedly) killing his father, and later fought for the independence of spacenoids from the Earth Federation. There is a shitton more to say about Char, but for the intents of Gundam Unicorn, just know that Full Frontal is trying to live up to Char's reputation and to serve as an icon to draw spacenoids to the Sleeve's cause.

It's a Universal Century show, they always come with ludicrously high bodycounts for named characters. If you're in a grunt suit, your survival rate is measured by how fast you transfer to a grunt suit custom or to a protagonist/antagonist mobile suit.

Pop your head over here in the main Gundam thread if you want to talk about it some more.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 6, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arcsquad12 posted:

Quick rundown: the show takes place sixteen years after a giant war where half of humanity died in one month. Instead of a decisive victory countless smaller successor conflicts spurred up in the aftermath, and the Sleeves are the perpetrators of the latest war. The major conflicts of UC are the One Year War (Federation vs Zeon), the Gryps Conflict (Federation civil war between Earth supremacists and Spacenoid sympathizers), the First Neo Zeon War (where Zeon attacked a weakened Federation immediately following the end of the Gryps Conflict), the Second Neo Zeon War (Where ace pilot turned Zeon icon Char Aznable tried to throw asteroids at earth to force a mass migration to space) and the current Third Neo Zeon War (the Sleeves and Federation fighting for control of a mysterious trump card called Laplace's Box, which is supposed to contain incriminating evidence that could cripple the Federation and galvanize spacenoids into joining the Zeon cause)

If you're unfamiliar with UC Gundam, just know that anyone called a newtype is a psychic human who can 1: communicate telepathically and from beyond the grave and 2: pilot mobile suits really really well. Char Aznable was a notorious Zeon mobile suit pilot turned revolutionary who went on a vendetta against Zeon's ruling Zabi family for (allegedly) killing his father, and later fought for the independence of spacenoids from the Earth Federation. There is a shitton more to say about Char, but for the intents of Gundam Unicorn, just know that Full Frontal is trying to live up to Char's reputation and to serve as an icon to draw spacenoids to the Sleeve's cause.

It's a Universal Century show, they always come with ludicrously high bodycounts for named characters. If you're in a grunt suit, your survival rate is measured by how fast you transfer to a grunt suit custom or to a protagonist/antagonist mobile suit.

Pop your head over here in the main Gundam thread if you want to talk about it some more.

Thanks. Didn't know that was a thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4hujz4-Pvo

Want want want want WANT!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Is that a model kit?

If so... I'm impressed. Even by Bandai standards, that's something special.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chiasaur11 posted:

Is that a model kit?

If so... I'm impressed. Even by Bandai standards, that's something special.

Didn't notice the DX Chogokin logo in the corner, did you? :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Didn't notice the DX Chogokin logo in the corner, did you? :v:

That makes much more sense, and makes its presence in this thread make much less sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's an entire section at the start of this thread detailing the specifics of Chogokin products, so I thought it would be fine to share.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's an entire section at the start of this thread detailing the specifics of Chogokin products, so I thought it would be fine to share.

Yeah there is that section, but even if there wasn't its heavily related to 99% of this threads readers interests. Technically there is a more general Japanese toy thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816878 but its not regularly posted in.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm fine with that type of product being posted here tbh.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah there is that section, but even if there wasn't its heavily related to 99% of this threads readers interests. Technically there is a more general Japanese toy thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816878 but its not regularly posted in.

All robots are cool and good, nothing wrong with an occasional toy post.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

drat, I white-stressed one of the hinges of RG Sazabi's skirt trying to click the drat thing in. It doesn't have a positive click any more. Gravity should keep it in, but it's still annoying. Any fix suggestions, beyond buying a second kit?

Not thrilled with the skirt connectors on this one.

Also, ouch, that YF-19 Chogokin is 27,000 yen.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
not a real product

https://twitter.com/funbolt/status/1048761873510752256

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Null of Undefined posted:

All robots are cool and good, nothing wrong with an occasional toy post.

Oh, yeah, I don't have any issue, but I just kind of default to expecting Bandai links here to be for model kits.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I personally couldn't care less about the occasional chogokin-based post because they happen so rarely that even if I or someone else made a dedicated thread for it it'd be dead as gently caress.

Blackchamber posted:

Technically there is a more general Japanese toy thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816878 but its not regularly posted in.

Not regularly posted in and has even less to do with chogokin toys than this thread. :v:

To get back on plamo-related discussion, I bit the bullet and ordered for this: http://suprememecha.blogspot.com/2018/09/review-dimension-studio-x-model.html

Less than 100 CAD for a highly articulated 31 cm tall model kit with LEDs piqued my interest, even with my non-existent interest in Ultraman.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

drat, I white-stressed one of the hinges of RG Sazabi's skirt trying to click the drat thing in. It doesn't have a positive click any more. Gravity should keep it in, but it's still annoying. Any fix suggestions, beyond buying a second kit?

For anything loose I usually use a drop of regular white craft glue. It sticks well enough to keep things from rattling (or antennas falling off :argh:) but it doesn't form a chemical bond with the plastic so you can remove it later without leaving any damage.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
that yf-19 is dope as gently caress, why would anyone be mad it was posted?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't think anyone really is mad that it was posted. It just happens so rarely people were surprised.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

On the not-a-giant-robot plamo-side of things, anyone know of a good Japanese castle kit/maker (and not one of those $400 wood kits)? Specific castle not important. I bought one a couple years back from Doyusha and the plastic was on the cheap side, the pieces didn't fit well together at all and there was lots of kit flash.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Hot picks from the Gundam Base twitter

https://twitter.com/gundambase_t/status/1048417263324282880
Jar Jar confirmed for January release.
Gary L and Gary R confirmed for PB purgatory

https://twitter.com/gundambase_t/status/1049162146058133504
Quess Jagd Doga on display but has no brand markings yet so it could go either way.

https://twitter.com/gundambase_t/status/1048416006090051585
Bust Assaulter and his good friend EZ Gunzales

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

EZ Gunzales

loled irl at this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Nice, I have the "Higher Than Sky" (my wife thought it looked "pretty badass") and "Infinity Trans-Am" 00 Build Divers on order. According to the description on USA Gundam Store, the Infinity also comes with a stand, so that's pretty awesome.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Blackchamber posted:

On the not-a-giant-robot plamo-side of things, anyone know of a good Japanese castle kit/maker (and not one of those $400 wood kits)? Specific castle not important. I bought one a couple years back from Doyusha and the plastic was on the cheap side, the pieces didn't fit well together at all and there was lots of kit flash.

No idea, but post pics.

Unsure if it's been mentioned already, but the SD Cross Silhouette stuff is expanding into other series - in this case, Mazinger Z & Great Mazinger. The machine translated blurb indicates that there may be more coming down the line too, which will be neat if they can wrangle the licensing.
-

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
any reason not to use superglue to make this part stay in place?

vvv guess i should order some, thanks

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 9, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
plastic cement would probably work better

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kuvo posted:

any reason not to use superglue to make this part stay in place?

vvv guess i should order some, thanks

Get the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. I use the quick drying stuff, but the normal stuff works great too.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

No idea, but post pics.

I got it a while back and trashed the thing. I looked just now on google, theres a handful of 'review' videos that aren't reviews so much as unboxing, and the top text review is one where they say they havent even test fit it and the two links below that are less than stellar amazon ratings. I think whats most telling in both the video reviews and the text one is: nobody ever made a follow up review. Did nobody think it was even worth posting their results?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Apparently Fujimi has a line of castle kits. I can't speak for their quality but I've had a few of their 1/24 car kits in the past and they've usually been quite good. Still though, even the likes of Tamiya, the default king of not-a-giant-robot plamo is guilty of putting out flash ridden reprints of kits from half a century ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I've been looking at their kits, but yeah I'm cautious of the quality since scalemates can't give me an age of the kit. The Doyusha model doesn't have a date either for the mold, but they do list the kit got a 'new box' back in 1981. I've seen a couple 3D models available to print, but they aren't much for detail. Oh well I'm not in a rush to add to my backlog.