Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, so I might just be crazy but I imagine like, heavy Italian accented mobster robbing a bank when I look at it 'Get da money son' like something in an episode of Looney toons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMF1nuK71ks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mierenneuker posted:

This is the "PYF little things" thread, you know

If it's faithful to real greek statues, it still applies :v:.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Safeword posted:

In Call of the Wild you can change the controls so you have to manually chamber each rifle round, rather than the character doing it automatically after each shot.

This is immensely satisfying and I suspect rather Freudian.

According to a bunch of previews for RDR2 when you start the game you mostly have access to single action revolvers and have to manually hit a button to cock it before each shot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

drat that DQ pun story was a real let down. Gonna be hard to turn this day around after that.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
It's impossible to die from fall damage in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - you are initially reduced to 1hp, but later on you can upgrade this to completely eliminate the penalty.

muscles like this! posted:

According to a bunch of previews for RDR2 when you start the game you mostly have access to single action revolvers and have to manually hit a button to cock it before each shot.

Well then, time to keep a closer eye on it...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Safeword posted:

It's impossible to die from fall damage in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - you are initially reduced to 1hp, but later on you can upgrade this to completely eliminate the penalty.

Well then, time to keep a closer eye on it...

Yeah but the sickening drop in your stomach when you fall any distance really incentivizes not falling.

It's actually superbly well done. I don't know how but they nailed the gravity in Odyssey.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah but the sickening drop in your stomach when you fall any distance really incentivizes not falling.

It's actually superbly well done. I don't know how but they nailed the gravity in Odyssey.

When I played AC1 back in the day one of the vantage points had me lean back and go “woah”. It really hosed with my sense of balance in a cool way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I played through (some of) 2 versions of the same story via the licensed Megamind games out of curiosity. Ultimate Showdown on Xbox360 was boring as gently caress, but the PSP version, Blue Defender, is way better. You get more weapon variety, more environmental variation and the boss fights are actual bosses and not just "Press a button 3 times and win". It's night and day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Safeword posted:

The many unfortunate hoplites you Spartan kick off of ledges are not extended the same courtesy, however. :twisted:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Iron Rose posted:

Haven't played Odyssey yet but the only game that's given me a sense of vertigo, or that dizzying feeling, was Saboteur, really making me loathe jumping or falling off of buildings. Curious to see if this can elicit the same feeling.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

exquisite tea posted:

The many unfortunate hoplites you Spartan kick off of ledges are not extended the same courtesy, however. :twisted:

The kick accounts for the extra 1 hp of damage.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/1049329600919212032

I appreciate this trend. Mario Odyssey did this too.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

The greatest Dragon Quest pun is Zere Rocks from DQ9.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spikey posted:

The greatest Dragon Quest pun is Zere Rocks from DQ9.

And that's even when you take into consideration it's from the same game that gave us Bishop Jack of Alltrades Abbey, mutated by demonic energies into the evil Master of Nu'un

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
GTA Vice City: The last mission for the film studio involves you making big jumps across buildings on a motorcycle to a spotlight witch you make to project giant breasts on a building.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mamkute posted:

GTA Vice City: The last mission for the film studio involves you making big jumps across buildings on a motorcycle to a spotlight witch you make to project giant breasts on a building.

Artist's depiction:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Lambeth posted:

https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/1049329600919212032

I appreciate this trend. Mario Odyssey did this too.

The previous Tomb Raider game let you do that too, as well as use the Legends skin.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
In Max Payne 3 you could unlock original constipated Max as a skin

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ElwoodCuse posted:

In Max Payne 3 you could unlock original constipated Max as a skin

and it was glorious

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I didn't play much of Final Fantasy XV, but it was nice to see the main character respond to the news of the death of his father and the invasion of his home town by refusing to take off his festive mariachi outfit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Caufman posted:

I didn't play much of Final Fantasy XV, but it was nice to see the main character respond to the news of the death of his father and the invasion of his home town by refusing to take off his festive mariachi outfit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxPK9utUq5o

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just beaten Ratchet: Gladiator/Deadlocked, and it's definitely the best game in the series (of the PS2 library). The story is tight and fairly well written whilst also being the most biting when it comes to social commentary, and the bosses are a lot of fun.

I had issues controlling the vehicles when fine control was necessary but otherwise it was really fun. Played on Gladiator difficulty as I'd heard that Contestant was a bit easy. I like the return to occassional areas from prior games too, like the trip to what's left of Orxon.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Something I had pointed out to me by another goon - in Odyssey, sinking another ship during naval combat creates an actual, physical wreck on the sea bed you can swim down to, and loot anything you may have "lost" by not boarding the ship above water.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The other thread is talking about giving options to players regarding how the game can be played, and Spider-Man has some good ones; I don't mind doing Circuit Puzzles because I find them oddly relaxing and that frequency thingy where you play with both Ds4 sticks always entertained me but I deactivated all cutscenes QTE, so, for example, that extended sequence with the crane and the helicopter that was shown at E3 now is just a very cool scene that you can appreciate without worrying.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Safeword posted:

Something I had pointed out to me by another goon - in Odyssey, sinking another ship during naval combat creates an actual, physical wreck on the sea bed you can swim down to, and loot anything you may have "lost" by not boarding the ship above water.

how long do the wrecks last. can i create my own shipwreck island if i sink enough in the same spot

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Playing Deus Ex (mostly) blind for the first time and starting from the first mission it's staggering at the options open to you when it comes to approaching the situation.

But a small thing: You can collect darts that you or the enemies accidentally shoot into terrain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I got a rather cute children's game earlier on a whim because it was about £1, Noddy and the Magic Book on PS2.

It manages to avoid a pitfall that a lot of children's games fall into, that of treating it's audience like idiots. As the game goes on the minigames are set to higher difficulties so it has a decent difficulty curve, and you can replay the minigames at any difficulty too to set high scores.

The structure is very open world, where you select a mission (often but not always involving one or more minigames) and drive to it to advance the story, which is fairly charming and comes together in a really cute way, and there is a decent amount of attention to detail at times as well. Also the controls are really tight so it plays well. It's also really colourful but that goes without saying as it's Noddy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pooncha posted:

Playing Deus Ex (mostly) blind for the first time and starting from the first mission it's staggering at the options open to you when it comes to approaching the situation.

But a small thing: You can collect darts that you or the enemies accidentally shoot into terrain.
Deus Ex is really good, it's a perfect example of designing around tech limitations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Deus Ex is really good, it's a perfect example of designing around tech limitations.

I'm curious, could you elaborate on that?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Deus Ex question: as someone who has finished the game and kind of gave up on stealth at a point, are tranq darts actually good for stealth because their habit of causing NPCs to panic seemed to limit their usefulness.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Glagha posted:

Deus Ex question: as someone who has finished the game and kind of gave up on stealth at a point, are tranq darts actually good for stealth because their habit of causing NPCs to panic seemed to limit their usefulness.

Tranq darts are not the ideal stealth weapon, at first. Their damage relies on the pistol skill, and once you get that up, knockouts are hilariously fast.

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Glagha posted:

If you get them in the head it's an instant KO, so it just takes good aim and a stabilization mod.

That said, giving up on stealth is a completely valid strategy since it's a freeform game and you have all the tools at your disposal to make yourself a walking tank instead.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Post poste posted:

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

Melee is good for stealth in general, whether lethal or nonlethal. It helps to realize that where you hit people affects how quickly they fall unconscious/die; hitting them on the back of the head is generally best.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Glagha posted:

A tranq headshot is an instant takedown, and one tranq shot will take down every non-robotic enemy, so it's actually super useful. Also the panic state means they'll stop attacking you. Unconscious enemies can't be woken up either.

EDIT: My decision process for when I'm about to clear a room in deus ex is: Do I have enough tranq darts? Y/N. If not, equip the GEP gun.

Vic has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Oct 11, 2018

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
rear end Creed: Black Flag: the sea shanties are cool and good, as is the ability to pet both dogs and cats

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Panicked enemies will go for alarm panels, though, and they don't always keel over before they get there.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

haveblue posted:

Panicked enemies will go for alarm panels, though, and they don't always keel over before they get there.

Alarms are great! They bring all the mooks in together for you, so you don't have to look for them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

rear end Creed: Black Flag: the sea shanties are cool and good, as is the ability to pet both dogs and cats

Unless you accidentally shank them like I did.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm curious, could you elaborate on that?
A good example is how they made levels that big. In order to make them run on a year 2000 computer, they had to make textures incredibly simple. But they used the simple textures, lots of empty dark space, etc. to create the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Origins is hosed up in that it's Egypt so there's cats all over and they will follow you sometimes but there's no button to pet them I have found.