Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I made kolaches or empanadas instead since I couldn't keep a fire going with the wind.

Prosit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Neighbor made chocolate pudding and put it in mini graham cracker crusts with strawberry on top. It was pretty good.

I thought it looked like pudding but then I thought maybe those were chunks of meat in it and the things on top looked like the carrots that the Chinese places do.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Costco had pork belly on sale cheap this weekend (I paid about $2/lb) so I bought some with the intention of making bacon with it. I'm planning on just following the Amazing Ribs simple bacon recipe, but I was curious if anyone here has found anything better. I'm not a huge fan of maple bacon, otherwise I'd probably try that one as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Costco had pork belly on sale cheap this weekend (I paid about $2/lb) so I bought some with the intention of making bacon with it. I'm planning on just following the Amazing Ribs simple bacon recipe, but I was curious if anyone here has found anything better. I'm not a huge fan of maple bacon, otherwise I'd probably try that one as well.

Curing is the easy part. The hassle is slicing and packaging.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Curing is the easy part. The hassle is slicing and packaging.

I cut mine comically thick and vac-seal it.

What the...
https://www.costco.com/Cuisine-Solutions-Sous-Vide-Marinated-Pork-Belly.product.100423929.html
:psyduck:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 8, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol $28 per pound. I loathe when I have to spend more than 1.69/lb on pork.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Simply leave out the maple syrup and do everything else, the rest of the recipe is foolproof. I did 2x10# slabs over the last week this way, 1 with maple syrup and 1 without to satisfy the heathens in my family. Do the #2 recipe either way,

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's been a long rear end time since I home made bacon, but all I remember from the previous attempts I made was that it came out incredibly over the top salty :|

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

It's been a long rear end time since I home made bacon, but all I remember from the previous attempts I made was that it came out incredibly over the top salty :|

Yeah don't use Ruhlman's recipe for bacon (assumng that's what you did). Use an eq cure, and never worry about saltiness again.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i've made bacon several times and it seems pretty foolproof to me. slicing is the only hard part, even with my glorious awesome slicer

i've done it with maple, brown sugar, chili powder, soy/miso, and probably something else. I'm not a big sweets guy but they were all excellent

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Hey guys, I think it's BBQ day!

I'm actually only using 3 of the 4 racks of short ribs. I'm saving the last one for myself on a later date!

Some rub work. Ground a bunch of fresh black pepper this morning for this stuff.

And now the waiting begins!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah don't use Ruhlman's recipe for bacon (assumng that's what you did). Use an eq cure, and never worry about saltiness again.

What's an eq cure, got a good example? I have been using Ruhlman's recipe but I usually drop the salt in the cure mixture by about half and soak it in water for an hour after curing. Ive got it pretty dialed in now but if there's a simpler way I would like to try it out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

arisu posted:

Hey guys, I think it's BBQ day!

I'm actually only using 3 of the 4 racks of short ribs. I'm saving the last one for myself on a later date!

Some rub work. Ground a bunch of fresh black pepper this morning for this stuff.

And now the waiting begins!

You better loving post the after pics

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

You tease

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You better loving post the after pics

I just finished clean up! Holy poo poo it was good.

Shortly before pulling:

Pulled pork pulled:

Aaaand the star of the show:

We ended up killing off 2 of the 3 racks of beef ribs, and still have a whole roast of the pulled pork left. I'm gonna be eating good leftovers for a long rear end time. :)

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Great job on the beef ribs. They're a lot of fun to cook too. I can only ever have a few bites though because they're so rich.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I planned to do a packer this weekend, but costco didn't have any, and I'm guessing they're not stocking them for winter. I am saddened by this. :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bewbies posted:

i've made bacon several times and it seems pretty foolproof to me. slicing is the only hard part, even with my glorious awesome slicer

i've done it with maple, brown sugar, chili powder, soy/miso, and probably something else. I'm not a big sweets guy but they were all excellent

I made bacon once and classified it as failure, mainly because there was not enough salt so the opposite experience. Meathead recipe, same with the pastrami I made once, also his recipe, just not enough salt. So I am not making anymore recipes from him.

TBH, just fresh sliced pork belly, fried with salt, is better than bacon. The drippings are great on bread.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

His Divine Shadow posted:

TBH, just fresh sliced pork belly, fried with salt, is better than bacon. The drippings are great on bread.

Wow, this is so wrong.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It loving rules.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

I planned to do a packer this weekend, but costco didn't have any, and I'm guessing they're not stocking them for winter. I am saddened by this. :(

If this is the case an absolute tragedy.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

It loving rules.

Bland, the meal

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

If this is the case an absolute tragedy.

I went back again and found the smallest packer I've ever seen, 8.5 lbs. :kimchi: Then bought it immediately.

I'm lucky that I have 2 costcos pretty close by (see user name) so one usually has them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

I went back again and found the smallest packer I've ever seen, 8.5 lbs. :kimchi: Then bought it immediately.

I'm lucky that I have 2 costcos pretty close by (see user name) so one usually has them.

Arby's can go gently caress themselves with this brisket poo poo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Bland, the meal

Personally I don't feel every meal has to be full of spices and seasoning, it's nice to have variation and this simple old timey food really hits the spot now and then.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

It loving rules.

My kind of salad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Bland, the meal

Bacon, truly the most bland white meat

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It wasn't bacon, that was the point. It was plain pork belly with a little salt, fried.

Edit: Tasted good? Definitely! Would happily inhale everything there. Still fits the "bland" descriptor though, especially when paired with everything else on the plate.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 16, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Personally I don't feel every meal has to be full of spices and seasoning, it's nice to have variation and this simple old timey food really hits the spot now and then.

I'm sorry you don't know how to season food with restraint?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Smoking meats thread getting heated.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Need to close the vent a little.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm just teasing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
There's no reason to make fun of elimination diets

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wrong thread for sure

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 17, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^ Somebody got lost.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I prefer to smoke Dave at 275 until his internal temp reaches 190. You can foil him for time, but I think it decreases the end quality of the bark.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For smoking hams, I realize there's a technique to it and the glaze is important, but are you generally just buying a pre-cooked and pre-smoked ham and giving it a bit more smoke and heat? 3 or 4 hours of work? Or am I missing something?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ummm the app is loving up.. I just posted this in the tinder thread even though I replied here.....

Id recommend adding moisture of some kind I did a spiral cut ham on Easter it was dry but tasty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tater_salad posted:

Ummm the app is loving up.. I just posted this in the tinder thread even though I replied here.....

Id recommend adding moisture of some kind I did a spiral cut ham on Easter it was dry but tasty.

Which app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I just figured that you've been working out, your modem is broken and your phone eats half the posts you try to make. You should try this one more time.