Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I have 25% winrate over 200 games in bronze league. Not that I wasn't having fun (although I haven't played too much recently), but I basically have no loving idea what's going on.

Personally if I have no idea what's going on I dont expect to win, but that's just me I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is the profile button in T7 broken because of the steam friends list change?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How is the hit spark in Fantasy Strike supposed to work in local MP?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Personally if I have no idea what's going on I dont expect to win, but that's just me I guess

That's the point. I'm saying I am losing because I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm saying that fantasy strike's design makes it easier for me, a newbie badplayer, to understand what I'm doing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Renoistic posted:

How is the hit spark in Fantasy Strike supposed to work in local MP?

it's always relative to the attacker. watch the gif.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
I'm just now looking at materials for DAO6 and god drat is it bland looking. The gameplay looks okay but for me looking cool is an extremely important aspect of a fighting game. It's not that it doesn't look like it'll set my PC on fire with all its bells and whistles, it just looks sterile, completely devoid of any unique artistic style or vision. Even the UI and "Winner!" splash and stuff is boring to look at.

I've heard KOF14 is a fine KOF game but I can't get into it for the same reason, it looks like a $30 PS2 game. At least they understood that and Samurai Spirits looks cool visually (even if it's kind of aping SF4)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

As an idiot newbie I disagree. Yeah i'm probably going to lose against people much better than me but I can tell what's going wrong, why they're beating me, which things I could've done better, etc.

I can go into SFV and have no goddamn clue what neutral even is or what I'm supposed to be doing until one of my random buttonpresses connects and i do one of the 1-2 combos i know. I have 25% winrate over 200 games in bronze league. Not that I wasn't having fun (although I haven't played too much recently), but I basically have no loving idea what's going on.

Honestly the hitspark thing I think is even better for people slightly above that level.

I understand fighting games and frame advantage/disadvantage but I don't get all that much time to play (which means I naturally end up gravitating to Street Fighter/Soul Calibur/Smash games due to lower execution criteria). Figuring out when it's my turn on uncommon matchups is near impossible, so a universal indicator is just handy to have around.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Graphic posted:

I'm just now looking at materials for DAO6 and god drat is it bland looking. The gameplay looks okay but for me looking cool is an extremely important aspect of a fighting game. It's not that it doesn't look like it'll set my PC on fire with all its bells and whistles, it just looks sterile, completely devoid of any unique artistic style or vision. Even the UI and "Winner!" splash and stuff is boring to look at.

I've heard KOF14 is a fine KOF game but I can't get into it for the same reason, it looks like a $30 PS2 game. At least they understood that and Samurai Spirits looks cool visually (even if it's kind of aping SF4)

I know for KOF XIV, SNK didn’t even have a publisher when they released that infamous first trailer. Game looks poverty as all hell because it is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Everybody who says KOFXIV looks like a ps2 game should look at the KOF PS2 games for comparison

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wait, which crown does that?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

Everybody who says KOFXIV looks like a ps2 game should look at the KOF PS2 games for comparison

maximum impact looks better that kof14 i have a theory that that team went on to make CG for the pachislot games

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
All the pixel games have approximately 300% more personality than XIV. Antonov is a great addition to the cast, at least.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 8, 2018

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Unist has the exact personality of an obscure Dreamcast game

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Armor Ralph is the most random OP character ever. Like he’s just so out of nowhere that I can’t be totally mad at him.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pomp posted:

Unist has the exact personality of an obscure Dreamcast game

This is why I love it so much

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah same

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
https://www.primagames.com/games/dead-or-alive-6/feature/dead-or-alive-6-gameplay-tgs-build-breakdown

I was not expecting this level of quality from a Prima article, good read to get primed for DOA6. Also how do you guys say Prima? Do you say it like Pree Ma, or Prime Ah?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

prime ah

also yeah thats a very awesome breakdown

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

BattleTech posted:

https://www.primagames.com/games/dead-or-alive-6/feature/dead-or-alive-6-gameplay-tgs-build-breakdown

I was not expecting this level of quality from a Prima article, good read to get primed for DOA6. Also how do you guys say Prima? Do you say it like Pree Ma, or Prime Ah?

That was a good breakdown. Removing stun escape sounds great imo, pretty interested to see how the meter mechanics hash out in terms of forcing damage output. It doesn't sound like THAT big of a change over the critical stun system, but it really is going to change the pace of the game.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Dj Meow Mix posted:

That was a good breakdown. Removing stun escape sounds great imo, pretty interested to see how the meter mechanics hash out in terms of forcing damage output. It doesn't sound like THAT big of a change over the critical stun system, but it really is going to change the pace of the game.

I've been saying this for awhile, but I legit believe DOA6 is going to be the best 3D fighter on the market. I've been pushing really hard for an open beta like 5 had that alpha so more people can play it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
That Prima article being incredibly thorough and in depth makes way more sense now that I realized the guy who wrote it is tourney player/champ DrDogg.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Renoistic posted:

All the pixel games have approximately 300% more personality than XIV. Antonov is a great addition to the cast, at least.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

BattleTech posted:

I've been saying this for awhile, but I legit believe DOA6 is going to be the best 3D fighter on the market. I've been pushing really hard for an open beta like 5 had that alpha so more people can play it.

That's a bold claim given the excellence of T7 and how good SCVI seems to be shaping up to be. What's got you so excited about it? Not that I hate DOA, I had fun with a couple of them. They just always seemed a tier behind Namco games or VF in terms of design, at least to me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BattleTech posted:

That Prima article being incredibly thorough and in depth makes way more sense now that I realized the guy who wrote it is tourney player/champ DrDogg.

drat, he did a great job with it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Aside from the generic pachinko characters, KOF14's newcomers were all fine.

EDIT: actually pillow guy's lame too

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The newcomers in XIV are a mixed bag of good and terrible. You get some great stuff like the Special Invitation team, Antoniov, Xanadu (even if he's garbage unplayable as a character, dear lord I tried.) and the new parts of Team Korea. And then you get the new Hero/China team who are probably the worst designs ever stuck into KoF (and I'm not forgetting Bao, K9999, or Hinako when I say that) and Team Another World, Verse, or Alice (who's like KoF's fifth run at that character archetype and second or third run at that exact character)

And then there's Team Brazil. I... really don't know what to think of Team Brazil. Like, I look at them and my mouth just forms a straight line, but then I pick up a controller and enjoy all three of them from a gameplay perspective. I just don't like looking at any of their designs.

Hein too, but maybe that's because he's a pretty boring take on Battle Butler so far outside his Climax (which is done better in Guilty Gear.) Maybe the next game will flesh out both his movelist and his character a bit.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

EDIT: actually pillow guy's lame too

sleepy boy rules.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shun has an air dash and so is very cool.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Don't you jerks dare badmouth my battle buttler and sleepyboy :mad:

Invitation and Brazil teams blow but SNK made it up with Najd being cool and good even though I hate the dropkick gimmick.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I liked Bandeiras and don't mind the other two, even Zafina.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

The newcomers in XIV are a mixed bag of good and terrible. You get some great stuff like the Special Invitation team, Antoniov, Xanadu (even if he's garbage unplayable as a character, dear lord I tried.)

OCVing a decent player with Xanadu because they have no idea what I’m doing and all they know is that he’s supposed to be bad is one of my favourite things in the game. He’s not unplayable, just regular bad.

I like Nelson’s design a lot and am surprised to hear people don’t like him.

Also surprised so many of you play this game! I don’t think I’ve played any of you. Are you all on PS4 or something?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hobojim posted:

OCVing a decent player with Xanadu because they have no idea what I’m doing and all they know is that he’s supposed to be bad is one of my favourite things in the game. He’s not unplayable, just regular bad.

I like Nelson’s design a lot and am surprised to hear people don’t like him.

Also surprised so many of you play this game! I don’t think I’ve played any of you. Are you all on PS4 or something?

Nelson is honestly my least favourite design for a Boxer type character in any game I can think of.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Who's the best boxer? Steve? Steve is pretty awesome

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Vanessa obv

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Roger.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hein has cool animations but he's such a generic looking guy and has inexplicable weird gravity powers I guess? I didn't understand who this guy was or what his deal is since he seems to have crazy supernatural poo poo going on. Def wish he had a better design.

I can't fault the roster of KOF 14 though since the character packs were probably the best in any fighting game. Idk if any other fighting game's DLC character content comes close because SNK pretty much nailed the fanservice with the selection they made. And bringing back Oswald was loving awesome.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

Nelson is honestly my least favourite design for a Boxer type character in any game I can think of.

Why's that? I think he's neat, with the robot arm and quick stance switching in neutral. Then again I play Baiken in GG so maybe my tastes are still stuck in early-teenage years.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

In Training posted:

Who's the best boxer? Steve? Steve is pretty awesome

Heavy D in 98 because you can hitconfirm off of 6 crouching jabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dudley's the only boxer I need.