Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

p good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Plavski posted:

Aww, Bradley Walsh really was brilliant; it's like we finally get the Doctor and Wilf Adventure Hour we'd always wanted.
holy poo poo you're right

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm just picturing someone watching this and ignoring everything that happens after the Dr Strange button, asking "When are they going to explain how the alien permission slip works?" in the Milhouse "When are they going to get the fireworks factory?" voice. Like, I'm sure there are dumber minor things that have made me stop suspending disbelief, but it's a really funny thing to focus on.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
how did she survive the fall into the train? the doctor's been killed mid-regeneration before, and a fall from that height should totally have done it. in this essay

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

how did she survive the fall into the train? the doctor's been killed mid-regeneration before, and a fall from that height should totally have done it. in this essay

She probably first fell into some Big Finish story in which she had amnesia the whole time.

Minuet in Hell 2

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

how did she survive the fall into the train?

Very successfully!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just saw the first episode. Looks amazing. I love the Doctor and the companions. She seems a lot kinder, several of the past doctors would have shouted at them when they didn't listen and Nan got killed.

One question I have and it comes up all the time - how do humans not know about aliens? Did they not deal with a planet wide issue on a weekly basis during 10s run?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Just saw the first episode. Looks amazing. I love the Doctor and the companions. She seems a lot kinder, several of the past doctors would have shouted at them when they didn't listen and Nan got killed.

One question I have and it comes up all the time - how do humans not know about aliens? Did they not deal with a planet wide issue on a weekly basis during 10s run?

One part 'the crack in time did a number on history", one part various unsatisfying "people choose not to know about aliens because it's easier that way" explanations (and that's been a thing in the series since the classic days), and one part "it's just a show, you should really just relax".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spikeguy posted:

11's first season kinda sorta retconned a lot of them out of existence.

Please ignore any subsequent massive alien invasions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spikeguy posted:

donna was really busy ok

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DoctorWhat posted:

They may have said no two-parters but as the cliffhanger indicated, that's not the same as no continuity.

I assume it'll be like the Batgirl season of the Adam West Batman (or maybe seasons, I don't know, that show just exists independent of time). They stopped having cliffhangers and multi-parters with the same enemies but every episode's ending led into the next one.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Alright episode.
Doctor feels very Matt Smith. Fine by me. I hope she keeps building things.
(didn't like the look of the sonic in preview because I thought it would be some kind of new organic tech, appreciate it now that I see it and knowing that she built it herself, making it truly her own sonic)
Wasn't super jazzed by episode, but they did everything pretty well.

I think killing Grace was a good move. A lot rests on the first episode with a new showrunner, it was a good way to show that it's not going to all be Mr Freeze collecting teeth for a silly war games. Which felt strangely conventional of a plot for this show.

Anyway, still feels like Doctor Who but does not feel like Moffat. It's fine so far and I think I'll like it if they do good stories.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cleretic posted:

I assume it'll be like the Batgirl season of the Adam West Batman (or maybe seasons, I don't know, that show just exists independent of time). They stopped having cliffhangers and multi-parters with the same enemies but every episode's ending led into the next one.

Or the first few seasons of Doctor Who, Hartnell era.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is there anything that says the "button" and the thing appearing where it did was actually random and Tim Shaw didn't like.

Choose to make it appear before Ryan?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Ten crashed through a ceiling and landed from a pretty good height on his last/penultimate (I forget which) episode. They can survive longer in the vacuum of space and without oxygen, so I want to say Time Lords are tough enough to survive long falls in certain ways but, well, Four. :shrug:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine it fell under the "first 24 hours of regeneration" clause.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nodosaur posted:

I imagine it fell under the "first 24 hours of regeneration" clause.

If there's one thing Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror have taught me, it's that Time Lords are vulnerable to falls, asphyxiation, shocks from DaleksControllers, drowning, radiation poisoning, and pushing the "R" key on your keyboard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

Is there anything that says the "button" and the thing appearing where it did was actually random and Tim Shaw didn't like.

Choose to make it appear before Ryan?
I really don't get why people seem confused by this either. It was pretty explicit that Tim Shaw - a demonstrated cheat - deliberately set up a thing that would technically "grant" him access to Earth by using an unwitting human touching a light he had no idea the function of. He straight up answered the Doctor's question about what gave him the right to come to Earth by saying he was "granted" access, and Ryan's reply is obviously in reference to the weird light he touched as he grasps the significance of what Tim Shaw just said.

Tangentially, I just wanna say that even if the Predator thing is played out, I really liked that instead of being some super badass hunter, he was the type of guy who plays online games with cheats activated, then rage quits when he still can't win anyway. :xd:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Episode alright, companions good, Doctor

I hope the main villain of the season is Mr Big

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The only thing I thought was weird was the Doctor getting mad at the crane guy for attacking the alien who tried to murder him. Or was that just a 'the Doctor is neurotic' moment?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Justin_Brett posted:

The only thing I thought was weird was the Doctor getting mad at the crane guy for attacking the alien who tried to murder him. Or was that just a 'the Doctor is neurotic' moment?

It was weird that it was mentioned and then dropped so quickly. It was like he stole a chip from someone else's plate, not that he pushed a dude off a crane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

Tim Shaw was defeated and about to be forced to flee. Attacking him then or trying to kill him was pointless beyond the desire for revenge, and the Doctor doesn't believe in that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerusalem posted:

I really don't get why people seem confused by this either. It was pretty explicit that Tim Shaw - a demonstrated cheat - deliberately set up a thing that would technically "grant" him access to Earth by using an unwitting human touching a light he had no idea the function of. He straight up answered the Doctor's question about what gave him the right to come to Earth by saying he was "granted" access, and Ryan's reply is obviously in reference to the weird light he touched as he grasps the significance of what Tim Shaw just said.

It reminded me of the thing (and I'm probably getting this wrong in some way because I'm just vaguely remembering it from one of two classes I did on ancient history) that the ancient Romans would do where they had this law that said they could only go to war if it was justified, so they'd have this whole rigmarole they went through to get around it so that they could actually go to war with anyone they felt like any time they felt like.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Something that struck me about the entire thing: I had zero problems seeing Whittaker as anything except the Doctor from the second she came through the ceiling, but when someone at the end said "Doctor" and she looked up to answer them, it was still really disorientating for me.

And it was great :)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

Tangentially, I just wanna say that even if the Predator thing is played out, I really liked that instead of being some super badass hunter, he was the type of guy who plays online games with cheats activated, then rage quits when he still can't win anyway. :xd:

And something else I've been thinking is that he might've been cheating about that 'unarmed' thing, too. He claims that he's killing with a grip because he's just that goddamn cold, but we see his palm has sort of an Iron Man-style glow that isn't like any other part of him, inside his suit or out. And I know this part's nitpicking, but hen he's not wearing his helmet he doesn't seem to be showing discomfort you'd expect from someone so much colder than the planet he's on that that kills people.

He cheated at everything else, why wouldn't he cheat at that?

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This episode has ruined doctor who for me. I really enjoy hate watching this show but this episode is very hard to hate.

I like the old predator premise, Jodie reminds me a lot of 10, the companions are all interesting, and I love the way the director fashions sci fi doohickeys out of everyday items.

I might have to start watching dr who for *shudders* enjoyment.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really hope you are kidding, doing anything "Ironically" is just a waste of time, if you enjoy something just let yourself enjoy it. If you aren't kidding then that is the most pathetic post.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Safeword posted:

Ryan having daddy issues and Grace getting killed off raised my eyebrows, but it is nice to see such a diverse group getting the spotlight.

This is actually one of my issues with Chibnall. Doctor Who, at least since the revival, has always had a diverse supporting cast. Which is great, mostly because they didn't feel the need to draw attention to it. But he pretty much said he's including as many demographics as possible in the companions to give it a wider appeal, and something about that really rubbed me the wrong way. It's calculated, self-congratulatory and kind of insulting that he thinks someone would only watch if the companion was the same demographic as them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

This is actually one of my issues with Chibnall. Doctor Who, at least since the revival, has always had a diverse supporting cast. Which is great, mostly because they didn't feel the need to draw attention to it. But he pretty much said he's including as many demographics as possible in the companions to give it a wider appeal, and something about that really rubbed me the wrong way. It's calculated, self-congratulatory and kind of insulting that he thinks someone would only watch if the companion was the same demographic as them.
Ok, but would it be better if everyone was white? I don't see the downside. Diverse casts are still rare in the grand scheme of things so it's nice to have one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Ahhh the classic "I love diversity, I just wish they wouldn't be so....diverse about it" argument.

We still exist in a time where minorities of all types are underrepresented in mainstream pop culture. If a showrunner says "yeah, we're gonna take an active hand in correcting that", that is unequivocally a good thing.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'm just glad it's presented as a normal group without back patting going on. Bill in the previous series rubbed me up the wrong way slightly for that reason - it was fantastic she was black and gay, but she announced the latter aspect of herself at the most random and weird moments at several points which was kind of jarring.

I'm dying! Thanks for letting me like girls!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Couldn't disagree with this more. DW had a very shameful lack of diversity in the classic series, which is one thing I definitely applaud the revived series for addressing ever since RTD helped bring it back. Regardless of Chibnall's intentions, the fact that he's acknowledging it and addressing it can only be a good thing, in my view. Especially in this day and age.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Before Doctor Who was revived, the most diverse cast on a major British science-fiction series was Red Dwarf. :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jivjov posted:

We still exist in a time where minorities of all types are underrepresented in mainstream pop culture. If a showrunner says "yeah, we're gonna take an active hand in correcting that", that is unequivocally a good thing.

I was watching some of s9/10 and you notice a lot of ethnic diversity in the UK at a time when there weren't many non-whites and there certainly wasn't equality.
Which seemed a little like whitewashing the past.....

...then you remember that it is a kids programme and anything that makes kids all feel normal and included is indeed A Good Thing.

Safeword posted:

I'm just glad it's presented as a normal group without back patting going on. Bill in the previous series rubbed me up the wrong way slightly for that reason - it was fantastic she was black and gay, but she announced the latter aspect of herself at the most random and weird moments at several points which was kind of jarring.

Agreed, that was not done well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Safeword posted:

Really? When should she have mentioned it?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

The_Doctor posted:

Really? When should she have mentioned it?

Mentioning it at apparently random moments wasn't the smoothest way to handle such a character aspect, especially when she already has an on screen romance - that's all I'm saying. :shrug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just realized now's the perfect time to bring back Bill and have them do the Rose romance again.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Safeword posted:

Moffat didn't know how to do characterisation without just having the characters look at the camera and say it repeatedly. One of the worst ones was Danny, who was a soldier.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Yeah, I'm coming the franchise about halfway through Capaldi's run, so this is all new to me. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
See, I never got the ‘randomly mentioning it’ thing. Every time it came up, to me it seemed a valid place.