Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I really don't get why people seem confused by this either. It was pretty explicit that Tim Shaw - a demonstrated cheat - deliberately set up a thing that would technically "grant" him access to Earth by using an unwitting human touching a light he had no idea the function of. He straight up answered the Doctor's question about what gave him the right to come to Earth by saying he was "granted" access, and Ryan's reply is obviously in reference to the weird light he touched as he grasps the significance of what Tim Shaw just said.

Tangentially, I just wanna say that even if the Predator thing is played out, I really liked that instead of being some super badass hunter, he was the type of guy who plays online games with cheats activated, then rage quits when he still can't win anyway. :xd:

I can't quite get away from the idea that Ryan just assumed that touching the glowy lights was what Tim Shaw was talking about and it was never confirmed, but yeah, I certainly think it's credible that "get permission to hunt here" was all part of the challenge (and that Tim did it in the cheapest way possible).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The_Doctor posted:

See, I never got the ‘randomly mentioning it’ thing. Every time it came up, to me it seemed a valid place.

We're the last of the Ninth Legion, hiding in a hole in the ground from an alien monster that kills us by stealing the sun and we might not make it through the night unless someone saves us.

Will we live, will we die, what is that thing, hey, I don't like men, what does it mean about the universe that such a creature exists?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Jodie did an AMA on Reddit, there's nothing mindblowing in it but she seems genuinely awesome

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9mfmok/i_am_jodie_whittaker_i_play_the_doctor_on_doctor/

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

See, I never got the ‘randomly mentioning it’ thing. Every time it came up, to me it seemed a valid place.

Yeah, exactly. Aside from her joking around with the Doctor at the end there (which I thought was sweet, considering the circumstances for both of them) , was there a single time she mentioned that she fancied women when she wasn't talking to (a) a woman she fancied or (b) a guy who was/who she thought might be flirting with her?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
At the time we said her lesbianism was handled really well and underplayed, only making references when it was appropriate and it was never forced. What changed?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Plavski posted:

At the time we said her lesbianism was handled really well and underplayed, only making references when it was appropriate and it was never forced. What changed?
What changed was you thinking that there ever was a "we" who agree on something related to Who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Plus, as an gay myself, I have to point out to straight people who never realise this, but you never stop coming out. It's never a once and done deal. You have to continually come out to every person to whom it might be relevant, and honestly it's exhausting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
*Ryan presses glowy light, and immediately Tim Shaw's Hershey pod appears*

Goons: But what did the light DO though?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

spog posted:

We're the last of the Ninth Legion, hiding in a hole in the ground from an alien monster that kills us by stealing the sun and we might not make it through the night unless someone saves us.

Will we live, will we die, what is that thing, hey, I don't like men, what does it mean about the universe that such a creature exists?

"We might not make it through the night so I'm going to flirt with this pretty girl"

"Oh I don't like men"

"That's cool! I like both"

that doesn't seem that farfetched tbh

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just caught up! I liked it a lot.

I have like 3 minor complaints and they are directing problems that will sort itself out as the show goes on. But I'm going to bring them up anyway!

I felt like the scene where they first find the guy dead with his tooth torn out was really flat. I get that the cop and nurse may have seen poo poo like that before, but the casual reaction by the bus driver and the grandson was a bit off to me.

I would expect at least one person to be freaking out. That's a director thing. It felt stilted to me.

I think I'm going to really like Jodi as the doctor, but a few of her lines were delivered flat. She seems a little rushed sometimes without tonal nuance to her changing sentences. Matt Smith was brilliant with this, David Tennant exaggerated it... Jodi's line delivery wasn't as diverse in style. Im not calling her Natalie Portman here but there was a few times when I thought she was a bit flat and Chris should have done a few more takes. Like when she told Graham to chill it. I would have done one more take where she really leaned into the word Graham with exaggeration. I feeeeeel like that's how it was written and it was delivered incorrectly.

Oh yeah, and when the cop runs forward near the start when she's says something like "come on let's go" was hilariously bad. She didn't react to anything! The actress waited in her spot said the line and ran forward akwardly! I played it back 3 times laughing my butt off. I have no butt. Come on Chris, that was her best take?

Literally those are my only complaints and I bet they will work themselves out as the season goes along. I liked the new music, the acting besides those few things were on par for what I expect, the new effects look good, the lighting is excellent, smart story boarding so you don't have to show expensive shots...

Overall I thought it was better than Tennents 1st episode but not quite as good as the 13th Hour. And after reading the early reviews I am relieved! Also I know I'm going to be a bit more critical than most, but I write/animate for a living, so no matter how much I like something I still get that, "ooooh it would have been better had they done this.." thought.

E: Animator thing: I liked how fast everything moved. When Tim Shaw (I don't get this, I'm American and Tim Shaw was a football player here!) grabbed that guy's face, when he teleported away, when Jodi was slammed back... All of the physics fx were well done. See, in Moffats era they went for realist speed most of the time. That's fine but can come off a little slow feeling when watching it as a spectator. Like I'm sure racing cars is fun, but watching them go around a track is boring.

When you start treating real life like a cartoon it looks better for tv and that's what's they did here. All of the exaggerated movements and playing with physics improved the feeling of impact to their stunts. Did they get a new fx director or editor?

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 9, 2018

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Tim Shaw was just a standard, boring sounding name, it wasn't a reference to anything else

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Something I haven't seen talked about too much yet...I'm happy to see companions that didn't sign up to be companions. In the revival we've mostly seen people who want to go on a grand adventure, or get to come home on weekends now that the doctor is a perfect TARDIS pilot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
His actual name is Tzim-Sha, but comedy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like if Tim Shaw wound up slumming it on Earth because the other guys saw his logs and started calling him Tim Shaw to mock him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do digital purchases of the show in any way effect ratings?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

*Ryan presses glowy light, and immediately Tim Shaw's Hershey pod appears*

Goons: But what did the light DO though?

In fairness, most of us are recovering from years of a showrunner where a small continuity error ends up being a major plot point.

Tim Shaw ought not to be a reliable source of information. If Ryan's guilt over being (indirectly)responsible for several deaths including that of his gran is going to be part of his characterization this season, then the show is telling us pushing the glowy light square matters, even if there turns out to be no mystery to it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Um...to me the new sonic looked like an alien phaser weapon from Star Trek.

I feel like making this comparison is the biggest fan betrayal of all. :ohdear:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Um...to me the new sonic looked like an alien phaser weapon from Star Trek.

I feel like making this comparison is the biggest fan betrayal of all. :ohdear:

I'm sort of disappointed that although the Dead Ringers sketch where the Doctor visits the London Eye is now back on YouTube, the one where Christopher Eccleston reveals the real reason why he quit Doctor Who seems to have vanished.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Speaking of Eccleston in a round-about way, today I learned that Billie Piper has become a critically acclaimed and award winning stage actress.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Speaking of Eccleston in a round-about way, today I learned that Billie Piper has become a critically acclaimed and award winning stage actress.

Yes, she apparently had quite the turn at the Young Vic in London in 2016 and 2017.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So the big problem I had with Grace's death was that it was so clearly telegraphed by all the ads which show all three of the ongoing companions but didn't show her. As soon as she showed up with the other three I was like "Oh, she's gonna die to give everyone else motivation. How annoying." And sadly, I was proved right. I was hoping they'd go Rory's dad with her and have her be the one who stays home, but since she had the active personality and Graham the passive one, it became clear that she wasn't going to make it through, which undercut the emotion of the event for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

According to this article, "yerma" is Spanish for "barren", but it is also Norn Iron for "your mother". Coincidence? I think not.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Plus, as an gay myself, I have to point out to straight people who never realise this, but you never stop coming out. It's never a once and done deal. You have to continually come out to every person to whom it might be relevant, and honestly it's exhausting.

Did you check with SA forums member Safeword on if this was a suitably unrandom moment to mention this? If not, then you're a poorly written character.

Barry Foster posted:

Tim Shaw was just a standard, boring sounding name, it wasn't a reference to anything else

:thejoke:*

*not directed at you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Jodie did an AMA on Reddit, there's nothing mindblowing in it but she seems genuinely awesome

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9mfmok/i_am_jodie_whittaker_i_play_the_doctor_on_doctor/

Yeah, "genuinely awesome" nails it.

Like, if anyone should play an idealistic traveler who defeats terrifying, brute force militaristic aliens with wit, hope, and a yo-yo, she's it, because it just seems to come naturally to her. Even if some of that is a public face she puts on as part of the publicity end of being a high profile role, she's really, really good at it.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

His actual name is Tzim-Sha, but comedy.

Ahh, I didn't catch the "humor" there. I think I was lost in an accent saying something repeatedly... And just blinked a few times. Thanks.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
It was a solid start, but the ending cheesed me off.

not the actual ending, but coming soon.

They showed off actors and honestly not an alien to be found.

They would have had me dead to rights if they would have slipped in somebody like "Strax" in with the rest of actors.

I think she did a better job than the 10th doctor in the simple fact she didn't sabotage the golden age of mankind.

The premise of the search for the tardis gives it a new spin and I seriously hope they don't return to modern United Kingdom for a bit. I want to see alien worlds dag nab it.

Obviously whoever wrote it has read the following webcomic

https://www.deviantart.com/bonjman/art/Lady-Doctor-One-Track-Mind-308138908

I absolutely loved the pocket references. :)

I know switching attire is customary, but I think she'd pulled off Capaldi's look better then what she went with, but again, we will see.

But yeah very much doctor who and I'm liking the supporting cast.

If they actually add some alien diversity (or hell, add f-9, a robotic cat to the cast), I think I will enjoy this immensely.

One last thing

One of these days I'd love to see a hunting human prey episode that ends with them playing battleship and abiding with the results. :D

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the dramatic irony in the Trophy's mantra - "I am important. Somebody wants me. I am valuable." He was right, but not how he expected to be.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the dramatic irony in the Trophy's mantra - "I am important. Somebody wants me. I am valuable." He was right, but not how he expected to be.

He was a fun minor character in a lot of ways. He decides "Nope, I don't want to know anything about this, I'm leaving," and the Doctor lets him, which is a nice change. He's a crane operator afraid of heights, aware that he only has his job through nepotism, trying to make himself feel worthwhile even though he's obviously kind of directionless, and when he finally gets some confidence, it's only to kick a bad guy who's already been beaten, probably because he was too terrified and confused to follow along.

Most Doctor Who characters neatly fall into the categories of "obstreperous authority worshipers who refuse to believe in any kind of alien threat," "someone who wants to shoot the aliens even though they've been told it won't work or we should try to reason with them," "amoral power-grabbers attempting to collaborate with the hostile aliens," or "curious, brave helpers, happy to see the Doctor and play along with her adventures." It's nice to see a little variety.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Redditor asks about the crane scene and how much of it was CGI:

quote:

The entire thing was real. Was it CGI? No it wasn’t. We were on a crane. Obviously, I did a stunt so there were wires and protection and things like that, because you can’t have someone jump between two cranes. But as far as it being on cranes and running and jumping - that was within the safety of a stunt. And yes. I was scared.

Well that's just awesome.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

spog posted:

I was watching some of s9/10 and you notice a lot of ethnic diversity in the UK at a time when there weren't many non-whites and there certainly wasn't equality.
Which seemed a little like whitewashing the past.....

...then you remember that it is a kids programme and anything that makes kids all feel normal and included is indeed A Good Thing.

People of color did exist in those times though, and it's the perception of history that's been whitewashed, even with the accessibility we now have to artwork and photographs. The series has an opportunity to include peoples that have been excised from most representations, and should have started doing so sooner. (There may have been earlier attempts, I'd love to hear stories if anyone has some.)

Not that representation for its own (or rather, the viewers') sake isn't also super important, but Doctor Who can show a richer history than the one recorded by the Powers that Be.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
braxiatel you rear end in a top hat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sometimes I can still hear his voice on Big Finish audios.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Why am I drawing a blank as to who that is?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CobiWann posted:

She was also surprisingly good in Penny Dreadful. She apparently learned to act since the RTD years

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

She was also surprisingly good in Penny Dreadful. She apparently learned to act since the RTD years

Hm. I think she's actually fine in the RTD years, given the material, but she is, pun definitely intended, quite dreadful in Penny Dreadful, although a lot of it is the accent they have her attempting. She's good as Rose, but her part in PD just wasn't meant for her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Hm. I think she's actually fine in the RTD years, given the material, but she is, pun definitely intended, quite dreadful in Penny Dreadful, although a lot of it is the accent they have her attempting.

The character is supposed to be from Belfast. Piper has said that she got tips for the accent from Nadine Coyle from Girls Aloud... who is from Londonderry. :v:

She's also supposed to be Catholic but I believe she has a line about being from the Shankhill, which seems dubious to me.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOeloEkQw6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9uOaDZDT-s

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Hm. I think she's actually fine in the RTD years, given the material, but she is, pun definitely intended, quite dreadful in Penny Dreadful, although a lot of it is the accent they have her attempting. She's good as Rose, but her part in PD just wasn't meant for her.

It's been so long since I watched PD that I had forgotten about the accent and now I'm questioning everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Feelings on the episode:

Mainly it felt like it was written as a two-parter and cut down to one.