Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lysidas posted:

volume buttons on phone are overridden to control the apple tv while the tv remote app has focus

i tried this several times as my first thought and it didn’t work, weird. ill try again since i don’t think ive tried that with tvos 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

i guess its possible if its an engine feature that can be turned on or off... that would mean they did the rigging for it on the models for no reason however :thunkher:

it means they had it all rigged up, probably for the “enjoyment” of the devs for internal builds, and forgot to turn it off for the external build.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

my macbook pro is so thin and light*

*if you ignore the separate fanny pack full of dongles

at this point the university is buying $300 worth of dongles for every faculty member who gets a new macbook pro

some of those are the faculty member's fault, not apple's (e.g. the cretins whose brains break when they have to put their ID number and password into the wifi and say that ethernet "just works") but the port splitters, USB-A adapters, and handful of different video dongles are all valid complaints

oh and in my experience it's a clutch purse, not a fanny pack

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

at this point the university is buying $300 worth of dongles for every faculty member who gets a new macbook pro

some of those are the faculty member's fault, not apple's (e.g. the cretins whose brains break when they have to put their ID number and password into the wifi and say that ethernet "just works") but the port splitters, USB-A adapters, and handful of different video dongles are all valid complaints

oh and in my experience it's a clutch purse, not a fanny pack

why again are they not buying a single thunderbolt dock the size of 2-3 cigarette packs that has all holes you could possibly want?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hmm where do I buy that dock

for a friend

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

poty posted:

the apple tv remote is pretty bad even for normal scrolling around and clicking buttons stuff. another victim of jonys "gotta make everything as tiny as possible" bullshit

my lg tv has a wii-style remote which owns they should steal that

tray integration with iOS 12 was a godsend

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

for a friend

OWC

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

for a friend

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Thunderbolt-Dock-40AC0135US/dp/B071NWZDJB

perfect academia dock imo. you have vga, you have ethernet, you have lenovo support contract, nice balance of price vs how difficult it is to loose one. downsides - no sd card reader, no microphone hole, the charging spec of on-dock tb3 hole does not fully saturate an mbp

if you control your own setup and want it fancy, there are plenty of similar options that look more like apple and are closer to charging spec, ditching vga and one or more other video ports since the calculation there is use displayport chaining for dual external monitors. you can also have ok models with sdcard or microphone port if any of those are crucial to you. manufacturers such as startech, owc, and belkin, to name a few

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Thunderbolt-Dock-40AC0135US/dp/B071NWZDJB

perfect academia dock imo. you have vga, you have ethernet, you have lenovo support contract, nice balance of price vs how difficult it is to loose one. downsides - no sd card reader, no microphone hole, the charging spec of on-dock tb3 hole does not fully saturate an mbp

if you control your own setup and want it fancy, there are plenty of similar options that look more like apple and are closer to charging spec, ditching vga and one or more other video ports since the calculation there is use displayport chaining for dual external monitors. you can also have ok models with sdcard or microphone port if any of those are crucial to you.

that is the same cost as the dongle pile though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

that is the same cost as the dongle pile though

i did never promise considerably lower cost, that's not really possible if you dont want some china-tech dock that also doubles as cigarette lighter. it's just much more convenient than have like 10 separate dongles you carry and plug around, imo

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
just wear the mega-dock as a necklace nbd

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a startech thunderbolt 3 dock for work and one of those usb-c all-in-onegles with an HDMI out for meetings whatever because its tiny. The work dongle is a no brainer since I get power/data/everything in a single port and the mobile one barely gets used because everything is wireless these days

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have a dell wd15 usb c dock at work and it seems to work ok but theres a newer version that does higher res monitors and doesn't waste a port on vga.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't seen a usb-c dock that can do 4k @ 60z, only 30.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ditto on startech at work. my computer was partially pre-bought for me so i only have the one with dual displayports. every new coworker i am buying the exact same laptop setup now, and they all get an all-in-one hp tb3 dock for dual monitor setup, or just a usb extender for single 21:9 monitor setup since elitebooks come with decent connectivity alread

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the dell d6000 can do 4k@60 x 2 via dp and 4k@30 via hdmi at the same time via usbc

but it doesn't look like it provides enough power so lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also we had to buy a wired dock for conference room because i am not given reign over our office network, so we are stuck with woefully bad wifi that makes the wireless display in the confroom mildly unusable at best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we have a few Microsoft wireless display adapters and they work really well.

I can even use them with my winphone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

we have a few Microsoft wireless display adapters and they work really well.

it was a pain enough already to get this one going so now every will have to just use the wired dock, it’s a usb3 thing that has the conference speakerphone and webcam connected so it’s literally one cable to plug

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

somewhere in an office in redmond every time you do that

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

it's too bad this technology was lost to the sands of time, forcing a several page discussion about which $300 docking station is the least terrible

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah i wish my laptop was two inches thick so i could have a loving dvi port

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

yeah i wish my laptop was two inches thick so i could have a loving dvi port all of the ports because I want a new laptop but also want to be a peripheral cheapass/dinosaur

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

could be worse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

if you aren't capable of making the intellectual leap that current port arrangements would be different (which was implied from a photo of a 15 year old computer) this is going to be a tedious conversation

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

how thick are these docks by the way

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

do people actually take docking stations with them? or do they have to spend $300 on that and another $300 on "portable" dongles?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

do people actually take docking stations with them? or do they have to spend $300 on that and another $300 on "portable" dongles?
if work is paying for it why wouldn't you make them shell out for a second dock

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

if work is paying for it why wouldn't you make them shell out for a second dock

that's not quite what i meant, are any docks portable enough that it would be desirable to take them with you versus a gallon ziplock bag full of dongles?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

in any event it's pretty rich to complain about a marginally thicker laptop when the alternative is to pick one of those choices in order to accomplish anything with your computer

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i wish i could get the 17-inch macbook pro back, unapologetically large and powerful, with plenty of room for ports. i realize 17-inch laptops are out of vogue, though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

that's not quite what i meant, are any docks portable enough that it would be desirable to take them with you versus a gallon ziplock bag full of dongles?
you mean like one of these https://satechi.net/products/type-c-multi-port-adapter-with-ethernet-v2

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i have a 2018 13 inch and don't have dongle problems, i just have ethernet and egpu thunderbolt, and usb 3 hub.

However I'm a lameass casual so it fits my use case. It's absolutely not an actual Pro computer and the air should die and this should just be called the macbook, and the macbook macbook should be the new air.

I want a USB 3 and Ethernet dongle so I can free up a port, I use all four right now lmbo.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

so there's no way to charge your macbook (the kind with only one port)?

if it's reliable (big if, given that even plain usb2 hubs still suck and i've heard about all kinds of unreliable usb-c docks and dongles) it seems ok for that macbook pro with a whole two ports

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

i wish i could get the 17-inch macbook pro back, unapologetically large and powerful, with plenty of room for ports. i realize 17-inch laptops are out of vogue, though

i love my "desktop replacements" in TYOOL late 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
gimme a three-inch thick mbp

call it the mbt, or macbook thicc

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i have no overall problem with "sub-notebooks" like the one port macbook, the issue is that now that's the only thing available from apple

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Toady posted:

just glue a battery pack to an imac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

so there's no way to charge your macbook (the kind with only one port)?

if it's reliable (big if, given that even plain usb2 hubs still suck and i've heard about all kinds of unreliable usb-c docks and dongles) it seems ok for that macbook pro with a whole two ports
it's got a usb-c port for power right there, idk what else you want