Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Generic Monk posted:

did you install that nightlight app posted earlier

I only have the free version of Adblock, and tampermonkey with the Facebook Unsponsored script.

I don't really follow the thread, I just post when I have an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tippis posted:

It's not the nightlight app.

I'm seeing the same in Firefox in High Sierra. It might conceivably be some underlying content blocker setting or list that has been updated, but since turning the blockers off doesn't make any difference, it's not clear that it actually is.

It rather seems far more likely that it's just the forum software being a bit strange at the moment -- there are other issues making the rounds right now, like the iOS app screwing up various unicode character and the like. It wouldn't be surprising if someone did some ill-conceived updating in the background that is the root cause of a whole slew of issues, and it just comes down to what files any given person happen to have cached at the moment.

e: ...in fact, I just remembered another setting and turned it off: turns out that in Firefox's case, it's the tracking protection setting that screws up the twitter integration.

Yeah it actually might be the forums this time. I was trying to look at the stardew valley for ios tweet someone linked and it wasn't loading on chrome.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it actually might be the forums this time. I was trying to look at the stardew valley for ios tweet someone linked and it wasn't loading on chrome.

Yes, based on what was going on in a different thread, it looks like (among other things) the forums aren't reporting the correct character encoding, so unless you force the browser, posts made from any number of platforms will have more advanced characters be turned into garbage.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
There's a lot of different things that can break twitter embeds. 85% of the time it's your adblock/tracking protection. 10% of the time it's the host site loving up one thing or another (usually some busted javascript, or CSP settings).

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Is there another FTP client (other than the 3 in the OP) that people would recommend using?

I have Transmit, but I'm having issues with it at the moment and need to grab something else to test some theories about what's going on. Cyberduck seems to have gone pay-to-use and Filezilla installed a bunch of crap with it when I attempted to install it so that's a no go. Currently on High Sierra, if that helps.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tippis posted:

It's not the nightlight app.

I'm seeing the same in Firefox in High Sierra. It might conceivably be some underlying content blocker setting or list that has been updated, but since turning the blockers off doesn't make any difference, it's not clear that it actually is.

uBlock seems to be the issue.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Seiyal posted:

Is there another FTP client (other than the 3 in the OP) that people would recommend using?

I have Transmit, but I'm having issues with it at the moment and need to grab something else to test some theories about what's going on. Cyberduck seems to have gone pay-to-use and Filezilla installed a bunch of crap with it when I attempted to install it so that's a no go. Currently on High Sierra, if that helps.

Cyberduck is Free, they just lightly nag you to donate (or buy from the App Store as a donation)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

The Milkman posted:

Cyberduck is Free, they just lightly nag you to donate (or buy from the App Store as a donation)

Hmm, that's odd. I tried to download it from their site and kept getting a 404, which is why I figured they were punting everyone over to the App Store. I'll see if I can find a download elsewhere then, because that'd hopefully solve a lot of my issues if I could use that to test with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can always ftp from command line, most of the commands are fairly straightforward.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can always ftp from command line, most of the commands are fairly straightforward.

That's true, of course. I'd like to try to use another program first (just to test if this is an issue with the program itself or something else) but that is hopefully an alternative if I can't narrow things down that way. Thank you for the reminder though, it's a good option to have!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EL BROMANCE posted:

Command-line ftp will also be the most stable, bug-free, and protocol compliant ftp client available. It's my go-to tool for deciding if we have a client problem, or a server problem.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Comedy option: Finder

Edit: To actually be helpful, the adware-free version of Filezilla is just buried under the "additional download options" link on their website. 90s sneaky.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1

pzy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 10, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does Filezilla for macOS save passwords as plaintext like the Windows version does?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mllaneza posted:

Command-line ftp will also be the most stable, bug-free, and protocol compliant ftp client available. It's my go-to tool for deciding if we have a client problem, or a server problem.
Command line ftp is gone now.

Terminal posted:

$ ftp
-bash: ftp: command not found

:mad:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ForkLift is good

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Small White Dragon posted:

Command line ftp is gone now.
:mad:

LOL if you ever used the vanilla command line ftp client instead of installing ncftp through macports or brew or whatever

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I disable PowerPoint from nagging me about "Intelligent Services?" Every time I drag and drop in a picture I get this prompt on the right:

I always hit no, and it keeps asking me every single time I open up PowerPoint and drop in a picture.

My settings looks like this:

It's turned off, but it still keeps asking. I want it to stop asking because it's super annoying. It resizes the main workspace and I hate it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That would infuriate me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I disable PowerPoint from nagging me about "Intelligent Services?" Every time I drag and drop in a picture I get this prompt on the right:

I always hit no, and it keeps asking me every single time I open up PowerPoint and drop in a picture.

My settings looks like this:

It's turned off, but it still keeps asking. I want it to stop asking because it's super annoying. It resizes the main workspace and I hate it.

File > Options > Disable “Design Ideas”, see if that works.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have been using Geforce Now streaming beta and I'm surprised how good it is. I played deathmatch Quake Champions on my MacBook Pro at working using the lovely Wifi connection and it wasn't terrible. Obviously Quake Champions wouldn't be the idle game but drat....single player PC titles will be great on this thing. I embrace this streaming future. If the next "systems" are just a bluetooth controller and a monthly subscription....bring it.

Really curious to see what Microsoft has cooking. Gamepass and streaming games as a service seems like a great. Who will be the Netflix of gaming?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Housh posted:

I have been using Geforce Now streaming beta and I'm surprised how good it is. I played deathmatch Quake Champions on my MacBook Pro at working using the lovely Wifi connection and it wasn't terrible. Obviously Quake Champions wouldn't be the idle game but drat....single player PC titles will be great on this thing. I embrace this streaming future. If the next "systems" are just a bluetooth controller and a monthly subscription....bring it.

Really curious to see what Microsoft has cooking. Gamepass and streaming games as a service seems like a great. Who will be the Netflix of gaming?

I've been playing pubg on GeForce Now and I'm also surprised that it's somewhat decent and has actually gotten better over time. That's all I got, thanks for reading

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I hear Project Stream is also quite good, even at this early stage, and I hope I get an invite soon. Playing contemporary AAA games on my old MBA seemed impossible not too long ago.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hi guys, I just dusted off my old mid 2012 MacBook Pro, upgraded it and have been making a good use of it. However I have an issue where my photos will sync to the computer but will not upload. There is a perpetual “uploading x items” bar but it will not upload. I have launched photos with cmd/option to repair it and that didn’t help. I’ve googled quite a bit and find a lot of people asking about it with either no good replies (your computer is too slow, you have too many apps running etc) or solutions that haven’t worked like running the repair.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? It still works to upload through the iCloud website but one advantage of using this old MacBook vs. my newer and more powerful pc options is keeping everything up to date without having to think about it. Thanks for any help with this - I haven’t used a Mac pc for probably 4 years now and I’m not sure where to start with trying to diagnose this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rio posted:

Hi guys, I just dusted off my old mid 2012 MacBook Pro, upgraded it and have been making a good use of it. However I have an issue where my photos will sync to the computer but will not upload. There is a perpetual “uploading x items” bar but it will not upload. I have launched photos with cmd/option to repair it and that didn’t help. I’ve googled quite a bit and find a lot of people asking about it with either no good replies (your computer is too slow, you have too many apps running etc) or solutions that haven’t worked like running the repair.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? It still works to upload through the iCloud website but one advantage of using this old MacBook vs. my newer and more powerful pc options is keeping everything up to date without having to think about it. Thanks for any help with this - I haven’t used a Mac pc for probably 4 years now and I’m not sure where to start with trying to diagnose this.

How long are you waiting and how big is your library. When I first set it up back in Sierra, it took a few days (more than 3 but less than 7) of background transfer to upload and index around 25GB or so. Of course I use it for work as well, so I’m sure the upload speed really scaled back then (and suspended itself when I was on work VPN). I was also importing my JPGS, PNGs and RAWs from scratch.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

How long are you waiting and how big is your library. When I first set it up back in Sierra, it took a few days (more than 3 but less than 7) of background transfer to upload and index around 25GB or so. Of course I use it for work as well, so I’m sure the upload speed really scaled back then (and suspended itself when I was on work VPN). I was also importing my JPGS, PNGs and RAWs from scratch.

It’s been about 24 hours now and I have the fastest internet I can get from Xfinity, 8777 photos. There are some raws in there, back from when I was testing editing on my iPad for a little while as well as most of my current phone photos now that I can shoot raw right on the iPhone but I would think with this length of time it would be done. But that is useful to know that it took you that long - I guess if it seems like a slow sync issue then I will just force the laptop to stay on and upload through the iCloud website for the time being. Better than it being some mysterious issue I don’t know how to fix.

Is there any way to check the sync progress? I would have liked a progress bar or something to show what its doing, unless that is hidden somewhere I could check out?

Edit: I just looked back through my library out of curiosity since I thought all of the photos were showing but it looks like March-August 2017 are not there yet and are only grey boxes. Older than that is there as well as newer.

rio fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 11, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, setting up iCloud library for the first time is a PITA. As far as I know, there’s no good way to see how much it’s done and far is left to go. When I did, I left the MacBook Pro plugged in and turned off sleep for when it was receiving power.

My brother’s took even longer. He’s got 3 kids, two are in college one in HS and he’s got an *insane* amount pictures. I think after scanning in all the film stock, converting the home video and digital stills he ended up with well over 70GB of photos and videos (He also wanted the highest resolution copies of all of them so that bulked up scanning in the 35mm film). If I recall it took his 2013 13 inch MBP about 10 days to settle down.

He called me in a panic a couple of times during that. “Is it working? I can’t tell if it’s actually doing something”

Also, I don’t think it really matters what your ISP speed is. ICloud Photo Library creation seems to be set near the lowest priority process-wise, because not once did I have any issues with working and other tasks while the import was running.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 11, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Would an error message that reads “an error occurred while downloading a larger version of this photo for editing. Please try again later” be normal while Photos is syncing? I didn’t check the box to download originals to the computer so I would assume that it would pull the photo from iCloud when I ask for it since my phone does that.

Actually, also when I try to save a photo by dragging it from photos to the desktop I get two other errors, first reading “Internet Connection Required, An internet connection is required to download a larger version of these items for exporting” and then an error listed as “could not load image (1019)”. Trying another image it says the same thing but the error is “the image couldn’t be opened because there is no such file”.

This is all making me wonder if there is some other issue. It’s janky as gently caress because I definitely have an internet connection to do anything else on the computer.

Edit: after doing this my computer started chugging. A process called “sharedfilelistd” seems to be the culprit ranging from 90%-150% of cpu usage. Not sure if this is related to syncing or something else. The whole computer is hanging though.

Edit again - never mind I think I’ve got it figured out!

rio fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 11, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FCKGW posted:

File > Options > Disable “Design Ideas”, see if that works.

That’s disabled too.

gently caress you Microsoft 🖕

eames
May 9, 2009

Housh posted:

There’s also Parsec (software that runs on your own PC or a cloud server you rent), shadow.tech (full service), Google Project Stream, Steam in-home streaming, Microsoft Xcloud and a few others that i’m missing. I agree that this is the future of “mobile PC/macOS” gaming because codecs, bandwidths and latencies seem to be improving faster than power efficiency. Fast forward a few years from now and people may play AAA games on their iPad Pro with a mouse and keyboard over 5G and the experience will be perfectly acceptable.

OTOH the streaming/gaming market will become just as fragmented as the other media services. Blizzard/Activision already forbids remote streaming their games in the terms of service (bannable offense, though streaming from your own devices is ok), probably because they will offer it as a service in the future.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Steam In home streaming is great. I stream to my Nvidia Shield (pretty much the only thing I use it for these day), and it works fantastically.

The one I'm waiting for is the Steam iOS app, which apparently is back on after Apple made changes to their policies for those kind of apps. The sticking point was purchasing games over the stream. I guess now the story is if you already have funds in your wallet it's kosher, you just can't load up your wallet using the iOS app. Or something. Supposedly the new version is in closed beta.

Cloud based gaming... I'm not sure about that just yet. GeForce NOW looks interesting, but as I'm a filthy casual I don't think I'd get a lot of use out of it. But for the games I DO play, in home streaming is my jam.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

rio posted:

There is a setting in Photos that stores the originals in iCloud and an optimized version on your Mac.

Now, how about text editors? I love Sublime Text, but before I pay up is there anything else I should try? VSC is OK, but a little too MS if you know what I mean.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eames posted:

OTOH the streaming/gaming market will become just as fragmented as the other media services. Blizzard/Activision already forbids remote streaming their games in the terms of service (bannable offense, though streaming from your own devices is ok), probably because they will offer it as a service in the future.

They... they feel threatened by the idea of people charging others to stream Blizzard games from their home computers?

I want to run a black market streaming farm

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nitsuga posted:

There is a setting in Photos that stores the originals in iCloud and an optimized version on your Mac.

Now, how about text editors? I love Sublime Text, but before I pay up is there anything else I should try? VSC is OK, but a little too MS if you know what I mean.

For general I need to do a small, quick edit or just general text files, I use Textastic.

For Python I use PyCharm, which is really an IDE. But the editor and all the little plugins you can install are worth it. I test drove Sublime and VSC, but just couldn’t get into either.

I’m getting ready to learn Swift, but I’ll probably just Xcode for that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I like Atom a lot and it seems to have nice plugins

Violator
May 15, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Depends what you want to use it for. I used to use BBEdit for coding but switched to sublime when I discovered how flexible it was with selecting, quick open, plugins, etc. you can use sublime full featured for as long as you want and it just shows a nag screen every 30th time you save. Try it out for a while to make sure you like it.

I used to use Apple Notes for general note taking, brainstorming, etc. When my “Clients” folder and notes went missing, I switched over to Ulysses. It’s a subscription app but I really like how simple and easy it is. Uses Markup for formatting. Bear is also super popular but I didn’t like the UI as much.

Ulysses keeps hourly, daily, and monthly backups if I remember correctly so it’s nice. Losing my notes in the Notes app was in the end my fault because I didn’t have a time machine backup, but it made me look outside the Apple ecosystem and I’m happy with what I found.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Violator posted:

Depends what you want to use it for. I used to use BBEdit for coding but switched to sublime when I discovered how flexible it was with selecting, quick open, plugins, etc. you can use sublime full featured for as long as you want and it just shows a nag screen every 30th time you save. Try it out for a while to make sure you like it.

I used to use Apple Notes for general note taking, brainstorming, etc. When my “Clients” folder and notes went missing, I switched over to Ulysses. It’s a subscription app but I really like how simple and easy it is. Uses Markup for formatting. Bear is also super popular but I didn’t like the UI as much.

Ulysses keeps hourly, daily, and monthly backups if I remember correctly so it’s nice. Losing my notes in the Notes app was in the end my fault because I didn’t have a time machine backup, but it made me look outside the Apple ecosystem and I’m happy with what I found.

Has Ulysses migrated from being a writers tool that competed against Scriviner to a note organizer going up against Evernote and OneNote? That’s a weird move.

Yeah, for note management I currently use Evernote, but I’ve been thinking about takin Bear for a test drive. One Drive just annoys me.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Has Ulysses migrated from being a writers tool that competed against Scriviner to a note organizer going up against Evernote and OneNote? That’s a weird move.

Yeah, for note management I currently use Evernote, but I’ve been thinking about takin Bear for a test drive. One Drive just annoys me.

It’s still very much a writer’s tool that uses markdown for everything. Very limited support for media, lists, etc. But it’s organization, simplicity, and UI fits very well for how I take notes, research, etc. I found Evernote too heavy for my needs because I’m working with basic text like 99% of the time. And now that it has code syntax coloring it works really well for me.

I use Drafts on iOS/watchOS for quick text input, Ulysses for writing/notes/research/etc and Sublime for coding.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've tried Googling this but the terms are all quite broad so I can't find a clear answer - does Mojave only allow use of the built-in Screen Sharing feature if both machines are on the same network? I use it very occasionally from my work laptop to access my iMac at home and, since updating both machines, I can't seem to 'see' my iMac from my MacBook unless I'm actually sitting in the same room.

I know Back to My Mac is gone but as the Screen Sharing app is still available I'm not sure if I just need to set something up differently to get it working when I'm away from home.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What's the best way to get clocks for multiple timezones in the menu bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iStat Menus IMO, such a good product

https://bjango.com/help/istatmenus6/time/