Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

quote:

Doors are mobile walls on hinges which open to form a gateway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
An erotic liaison is formed between the two; Kepesh becomes obsessively enamored of his lover's breasts, a fetish developed in the previous novels.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_nail_of_the_fifth_toe

quote:

It is said that due to the fact that the Yellow Emperor was extremely well endowed that it was passed on to his children. Thereby, the saying goes if you have more than ten toenails, you will have more than 10 inches.

i have this, so good for me i guess

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
While it was thought to be a prevalent feature amongst Han Chinese, it is observed in people from all ethnicities and races. It is commonly perceived to be especially present amongst Han Chinese[1].

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

huh, same. thought I'd just hosed up my toe at some point so the nail grew broken & split from the root

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Big Word posted:

A wikipede is going to discover that the use of an eggplant there could conceivably be considered a joke by someone somewhere and it will instantly disappear after that happens

some funless wikipedian reverted my [citation needed] tag for the star citizen page after i added it to the part in the introductory paragraph where it's referred to as an upcoming game

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Same. I would periodically pull that little bit off, thinking until now that it was a recurrent hangnail, and wonder why it always bled more than other hangnails

I found a medical paper on the subject that suggests it's a form of hexadactyly that didn't progress any further (some people with this type of toenail also display a little bone spur in that direction under x-ray examination). Neato

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I have that on both babby toes and sometimes it hurts, more of an ache like itï¿œs being rubbed against my shoes (like too narrow shoes would feel) but my shoes arenï¿œt really too narrow.

Also are apostrophes looking hosed up for anyone else?

E:

Schadenboner posted:

itï¿œs

arenï¿œt

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Schadenboner posted:

I have that on both babby toes and sometimes it hurts, more of an ache like itï¿œs being rubbed against my shoes (like too narrow shoes would feel) but my shoes arenï¿œt really too narrow.

Also are apostrophes looking hosed up for anyone else?

E:

Yeah, it's an issue all over the forums. Best guess I've seen is that it's smartphone "smart" quotes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its apple smart quotes

so if you see them in a post they're written on a mac or an ios device

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

its apple smart quotes

so if you see them in a post they're written on a mac or an ios device

I guess it’s a good way of making sure you know who’s an android user (literal trash phones for completely garbo people).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no its all funky chars that get hosed up. encoding probs

html entity: æ
plain Latin-1: æ

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
ANYWAY, worthless things from Wikipedia.

From the article on Karnaugh maps.

quote:

Other graphical methods
Alternative graphical minimization methods include:

Marquand diagram (1881) by Allan Marquand (1853ᅵ1924)[5][4]
Harvard minimizing chart (1951) by Howard H. Aiken and Martha L. Whitehouse of the Harvard Computation Laboratory[11][1][12][2]
Veitch chart (1952) by Edward Veitch (1924ᅵ2013)[3][4]
Svoboda's graphical aids (1956) and triadic map by Antonᅵn Svoboda (1907ᅵ1980)[13][14][15][16]
Hᅵndler circle graph (aka Hᅵndler'scher Kreisgraph, Kreisgraph nach Hᅵndler, Hᅵndler-Kreisgraph, Hᅵndler-Diagramm, Minimisierungsgraph [sic]) (1958) by Wolfgang Hᅵndler (1920ᅵ1998)[17][18][19][15][20][21][22][23][24]
Graph method (1965) by Herbert Kortum (de) (1907ᅵ1979)[25][26][27][28][29][30][31]

E: And yeah, it's definitely any funky chars, given that this is breaking on em-dashes and umlaut-a.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 10, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Schadenboner posted:

I guess itï¿œs a good way of making sure you know whoï¿œs an android user (literal trash phones for completely garbo people).

why would anyone ever defend `'"smart"`' quotes

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Schadenboner posted:

(literal trash phones for completely garbo people).
Eff you, Garbo was a hero who helped make D-Day possible.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
she was superhumanly beautiful

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The other one.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

The subliminal advertising involved with the Pepsi Globe logo is also extensive. The different logos and packaging designs have been intended to represent the human body, rediscovery of the Vitruvian principles and their publication, Chinese art of placement and spatial arrangement and many other representations that may not seem clear or obvious from just a glance at a Pepsi Bottle. The most famous visual representation is the Pepsi Globe logo’s representation of The Earth. The swirling horizontal stripe running through the center of the globe provides a visual representation of the earth’s constant movement around its own axis and around the sun. The stripe also represents a naturally occurring electric generator in fluid motion generating and sustaining the magnetic field of the Earth. This marketing has resulted in an extremely recognizable logo and an aid to a profitable venture.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

she was superhumanly beautiful

tap tap tap at the bloody window pane

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Komojo posted:

The subliminal advertising involved with the Pepsi Globe logo is also extensive. The different logos and packaging designs have been intended to represent the human body, rediscovery of the Vitruvian principles and their publication, Chinese art of placement and spatial arrangement and many other representations that may not seem clear or obvious from just a glance at a Pepsi Bottle. The most famous visual representation is the Pepsi Globe logoï¿œs representation of The Earth. The swirling horizontal stripe running through the center of the globe provides a visual representation of the earthï¿œs constant movement around its own axis and around the sun. The stripe also represents a naturally occurring electric generator in fluid motion generating and sustaining the magnetic field of the Earth. This marketing has resulted in an extremely recognizable logo and an aid to a profitable venture.

:pepsi:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Peeny Cheez posted:

Eff you, Garbo was a hero who helped make D-Day possible.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Other critics were more forgiving: H.T. Strong ("Hercules The Strong"), a regular columnist at Ain't It Cool News, declared that the show's third episode "made me laugh aloud a number of times!"[21]

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

Walls in popular culture

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Komojo posted:

The subliminal advertising involved with the Pepsi Globe logo is also extensive. The different logos and packaging designs have been intended to represent the human body, rediscovery of the Vitruvian principles and their publication, Chinese art of placement and spatial arrangement and many other representations that may not seem clear or obvious from just a glance at a Pepsi Bottle. The most famous visual representation is the Pepsi Globe logoï¿œs representation of The Earth. The swirling horizontal stripe running through the center of the globe provides a visual representation of the earthï¿œs constant movement around its own axis and around the sun. The stripe also represents a naturally occurring electric generator in fluid motion generating and sustaining the magnetic field of the Earth. This marketing has resulted in an extremely recognizable logo and an aid to a profitable venture.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ok but what does pepsiman symbolize, smarty-pants wiki editors??? checkmate

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariko_Aoki_phenomenon

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

seems like it would be p straightforward to measure poops per capita from bookstore toilets and compare to a baseline

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

seems like it would be p straightforward to measure poops per capita from bookstore toilets and compare to a baseline

since the whole thing is neurotic as hell, getting informed consent would probably mess with the data anyway

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i have to poo poo whenever i go into half price but that's only because i always end up drinking at least five cups of free coffee

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/12/all-i-got-for-christmas-was-constipation/422046/
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/11/gotta-go/544544/

not wikipedia, and not worthless, but on-topic, i think. maybe :shrug:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thanks for the lovely links everyone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

making GBS threads at work is good praxis

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

i'm seriously considering making the jump to showering at work

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

pleasurekevin..

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
opening paragraph

Since the late 1980s, there have been several attempts to investigate the possibility of harvesting lightning energy. A single bolt of lightning carries a relatively large amount of energy (approximately 5 billion joules[1] or about the energy stored in 145 litres of petrol). However, this energy is concentrated in a small location and is passed during an extremely short period of time (microseconds[2]); therefore, extremely high electrical power is involved.[3] 5 billion joules over 10 microseconds is equal to 5×1014 (or 500 trillion) watts. Because lightning bolts vary in voltage and current, a more average calculation would be 1×1010 (or 10 billion) watts.[4]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goddamnedtwisto posted:

as long as you do it on the clock

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Krankenstyle posted:

boss makes a dollar, I make a dime
gonna void my bowels on company time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The midair collision contributed to Lindbergh Field being ranked 10th among the world's Most Extreme Airports in a two-hour documentary of the same name released in July 2010, which aired in the U.S. on the History Channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

FMguru posted:

boss makes a dollar, I make a dime
gonna void my bowels on company time