Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

maybe use your high-level cognition to realize you are not the type of person i am talking about, but instead maybe literally any one of fifteen different interchangable weirdos whose primary goal in online interactions seems to be screaming at people about how they Enjoy The VIdeo Game

christ you're an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

More like this, please:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hey everyone, can we please stop FALLING OUT with each other.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"everyone who dislikes this game is mentally ill" is a lukewarm take, you gotta spice it up

"Everyone who dislikes this game is a sex criminal", see now you got my attention

If I buy this game I'm just gonna find people with the pvp flag off and follow them around. Pretend to be their conscience

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So the single worst thing Fallout 76 did is to ruin the majesty that is "fallout lore"? Especially Brotherhood of Steel, the most inconsistent part of Fallout.

First they were ex-millitary pretending to be knights of the round table, then they turned into rear end in a top hat secret agents or whatever they are supposed to be in 2, then they were exploring nomads, then they were literal white knights protecting the weak, then they were whiny assholes who refuse to keep killing themselves, then they were space marines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Those are developments from their original inception. This game takes place maybe a year after the Brotherhood even began existing. On the opposite side of the country. Lyons's crusade for Washington was considered a big deal because it was the first attempt for the Brotherhood to reclaim east coast territory.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"People who dislike Fallout 76 cook fish in the work microwave"

"people who dislike fallout 76 deny the armenian genocide"

(AMERICANS ONLY) "people who dislike fallout 76 leave a 4% tip, and they make a big showy deal of it"

Does this game have melee weapons? I can't imagine it won't, but I'm just curious.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zelder posted:

Does this game have melee weapons? I can't imagine it won't, but I'm just curious.

Yes

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm going to wander the wasteland as the last ronin who keeps getting shot by honorless gaijin

please bow before duels.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zelder posted:

"People who dislike Fallout 76 cook fish in the work microwave"

"people who dislike fallout 76 deny the armenian genocide"

(AMERICANS ONLY) "people who dislike fallout 76 leave a 4% tip, and they make a big showy deal of it"

C'mon, dude. You gotta go for the big bucks here.

If you dislike Fallout Soldier 76, you're an alt-right maga chud.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Despite many things having a range attack, I think a melee focused character will be very viable in this game. But obviusly, I am judging based on some videos, so I can be wrong.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tei posted:

Despite many things having a range attack, I think a melee focused character will be very viable in this game. But obviusly, I am judging based on some videos, so I can be wrong.

Knowing how these games typically pan out, melee builds might be completely trash in the lategame because 80% of the big enemies are melee and designed to be kited, and will thus instantly whomp you up close, and the remaining 20% are ranged and flying.

On the other hand, they could also be completely broken with the right set-up, being able to do things like deal 30x crits with sneak backstabs and parry deathclaw hits while taking 0 damage. I'm interested to see which one it turns out to be.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 10, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Minorkos posted:

Knowing how these games typically pan out, melee builds might be completely trash in the lategame because 80% of the big enemies are melee and designed to be kited, and will thus instantly whomp you up close, and the remaining 20% are ranged and flying.

On the other hand, they could also be completely broken with the right set-up, being able to do things like deal 30x crits with sneak backstabs and parry deathclaw hits while taking 0% damage. I'm interested to see which one it turns out to be.

I am counting on some perk that reduce range damage, and stacking a lot of CON and STR. The videos I have seen, the enemies where downed down with 4 or 5 shots, but only 1 or 2 slash with a melee weapon. Who knows, really, but looked like a game where melee weapons do much more damage than range weapons.

Even if melee characters have to churn potions all the time, they save on ammo, and having one single type of consumable saves a lot of time. Also if having more strengh means you can carry more loot.

Anyway the people invited to this test described the system has flexible, so you can respect on the fly. I guest if melee is any good, everyone will flow to that instantly. And then, it will be nerfed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Video Graves posted:

Hey everyone, can we please stop FALLING OUT with each other.
Posting. Posting never changes.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tei posted:

I guest if melee is any good, everyone will flow to that instantly. And then, it will be nerfed.

If they've balanced the game well, melee will be strong but there will be diminishing returns in regards to how effective it is to just stack melee dudes on a team. Hopefully, melee is more focused on defense rather than offense. Typically in these kinds of games, having 1-2 melee guys taking the brunt of the damage in the frontline helps the 2-3 ranged dudes deal damage safely from the backline, but having 4 melee guys chasing after the same monster is less effective since ranged damage is typically more consistent. The relationship between melee and ranged doesn't have to be exactly like tank and DPS, but it usually helps with balance

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I didn't see any in the recent gameplay, but I really hope there are shotgun-specific perk cards in 76. The Remington 870 mod for Fallout4 was by far my favorite weapon, and I was thrilled to see they added it to 76.

My first character is going to be a high-stealth-Shotgun-Surgeon Pvp Bounty Hunter. :clint:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CharlestonJew posted:

christ you're an rear end in a top hat

Them and the other couple who can't tolerate any slight against this game already pulled out "HEH AUTISM" so yeah pretty much.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Okay so there are supply drops you can call in and loot in this game, and other players can come in and try to scavenge them from under you. I wonder, how the heck that is going to work with the PvP being as limited as it is? Are people going to be able to dash in, shrug off your 90% reduced PvP damage, loot the supply drop and fast travel out? Because that sounds loving terrible to me lmfao

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Zelder posted:

I'm going to wander the wasteland as the last ronin who keeps getting shot by honorless gaijin

please bow before duels.

So this guy I saw at AWA a few weeks back?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Minorkos posted:

Okay so there are supply drops you can call in and loot in this game, and other players can come in and try to scavenge them from under you. I wonder, how the heck that is going to work with the PvP being as limited as it is? Are people going to be able to dash in, shrug off your 90% reduced PvP damage, loot the supply drop and fast travel out? Because that sounds loving terrible to me lmfao

The chests we saw are just loot rewards from events and group quests and only people who participated in the event or group quest can loot it.

All chests spawn different loot for each player. The only things we have to fight over is that 10mm sitting next to a skeleton.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

dr_rat posted:

What I never got about Fallout 4 was Todd Howard was pretty open about how it was impossible to write a good story for a sandbox game because players in a sandbox game just love to gently caress around, try and kill key story people, wander in and out of the plot, etc. -which looking at what New Vegas managed to do with it's story I sort of disagree, but I can see where he's coming from- so then why did they put such a melodramatic plot in there with the stolen son and everything... it just seemed such a weird choice to make coming in with that mindset.

While I'm still not to keen on the whole vibe of 76 in general, as multiplayer isn't really my thing anymore, I actually quite like they've just committed to far a full on sandboxy starting plot line of 'oh, hey were letting you out of the vault now, go try and make this crappy post-apocalyptic world just a bit less crappy'. Generic as hell, but hey, if it works, it works.

All 3d Fallouts had moments where the story got somewhat stupid or broken, but in many cases things also worked out well. New Vegas, in my playthrough, was fantastic. Fallout 4 was a lot of fun also. F3 I think as well. Maybe I dont go out of my way to break the storyline or something, but I thought it was pretty dope.
I do think that ultimately the big and small storylines gave a lot of life and mystery to these games and that was what made it wortwhile to spend 30+ hours playing them.

Fallout 76 will not have these sorts of stories, they will be generated by non-npcs and so it'll basically be a lot of defend, grind, and fetch quests. All interaction will come from other players in pink party hats trading fresh insults with you.
I mean some people explictily enjoy grinding, levelling and fetch quests, as well as fun multiplayer interactions. Don't mean it ain't fun if you enjoy MMORPGs or whatever.

But it won't have the feel, story, mystery or vibe and if you think Fallout ever failed to deliver on those things then you musthave played different games than me

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Fallout 76 will have 600 endings"

--- Todd "Lincoln" Howard

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm excited to fallout with my two other friends who PC game.

Who else is hype?????

Yee boiii

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DLC Inc posted:

"Fallout 76 will have 600 endings"

--- Todd "Lincoln" Howard

I liked ending #485 where I fell through the map geometry while getting smacked by a behemoth.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked ending #485 where I fell through the map geometry while getting smacked by a behemoth.

It just occurred to me that this is Bethesda Studios first game with any sort of online component because they didnt make TES online.

Let that sink in.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Starks posted:

It just occurred to me that this is Bethesda Studios first game with any sort of online component because they didnt make TES online.

What do you think this is a beta for?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a Microsoft publicity stunt rather than a stress test.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think ignoring the, ahh, super-irrational anger of everyone even just watching a few minutes of preview footage makes me question basic things, like trade.

If the traders are all other players, why would anyone ever trade for anything? Like, it makes sense in F4 that I could sell all my old cigarette cartons and pipe pistols to the guy in Diamond City because as an NPC he doesn't know or care that the adhesive he's giving me is the most valuable, sought-after substance I'm the Commonwealth, but why would another player ever accept junk they could go get themselves? And why would they ever sell any hard-fought items that were challenging or tedious to get?

Do other MMOs do anything like this, and is it a complete clusterfuck like this appears to be :psyduck:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

All chests spawn different loot for each player. The only things we have to fight over is that 10mm sitting next to a skeleton.

Open world loot isn't unique to the instance, it's unique to the player. I saw a couple of videos of people in the same room as each other, each ending up grabbing the same stuff without it effecting the other player.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

What do you think this is a beta for?

For PC its a 14 day beta thats only open to a select group of pre orders. You tell me what the purpose is lol

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

If the traders are all other players

There are NPC vendors and traders who will function just like FO4, the only difference is now you can trade with other players as well.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Prophecy120 posted:

There are NPC vendors and traders who will function just like FO4, the only difference is now you can trade with other players as well.

theres no npcs tho

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Back Hack posted:

Open world loot isn't unique to the instance, it's unique to the player. I saw a couple of videos of people in the same room as each other, each ending up grabbing the same stuff without it effecting the other player.

Which video? Those that I have watched show the opposite and Bethesda has said open world loot is unique to the instance.

caps on caps on caps posted:

theres no npcs tho

There are robot trader npcs and vending machines for ammo and meds that we have seen.

There is one quest that had what seemed to be a living person, but they are a voice over a PA system trying to get you to fix a radio tower.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

There are no human, friendly NPCs. There are many robot, vending machine and even super-mutant vendors and traders.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Starks posted:

Let that sink in.

Even then they had to hire a whole new studio who have been making multiplayer games in the past.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Starks posted:

For PC its a 14 day beta thats only open to a select group of pre orders. You tell me what the purpose is lol

It's a beta test to add multiplayer to the next elder scrolls.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's gonna be fun to work with my friends in a cooperative spirit towards surviving the post apoc wastes. Each of us, with tailored skill sets aiding one another as we overcome each obstacle in our path.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Here I say, as I lockpick the chest that my friend trap disarmed that my other friend hacked the door open, and hand him a NUKA COLA bottle.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Which video? Those that I have watched show the opposite and Bethesda has said open world loot is unique to the instance.

Any of the videos, why do you think there are dozen or so people in the demo running around in the same Red Rocket jumpsuit? Because there is a corpse right next to the entrance to the vault with it. It was pretty glaring in the first Responders' church too, you see all kinds of loot just laying around in there with several people obviously running around grabbing everything that's not nailed down, but none of it gets pick up until the person recording the video picks stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

7c Nickel posted:

Again, Cream Of Plenty writes fakeposts and then links to random unrelated news articles. I don't know if he's doing this as a point about how no one reads articles but it's annoying how many people don't do even the most basic followup.
It sounds like you're not enjoying the only quality material in this thread