Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think those are the beginnings of aerial roots. There's nothing wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yep, all that stuff is entirely normal, says my 23-year-old pothos. You can cut off a piece just under one of those nubs, stick it in water, and make yourself a whole new plant in no time, say my mama plant's many many babies. :3:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really glad to hear that. My roommate's plants keep dying and when mine started sprouting new stuff a week into the new house, I thought there might be some fungus or something going around.

Hirayuki posted:

Yep, all that stuff is entirely normal, says my 23-year-old pothos. You can cut off a piece just under one of those nubs, stick it in water, and make yourself a whole new plant in no time, say my mama plant's many many babies. :3:

Yes...:science:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone know what this flower is? Found a big bush at a park in town that was absolutely covered in monarchs and bees. There are at least three butterflies and one bee in this photo alone. Seems like a good candidate for planting in our home gardens. (Click for Big.)

E: I'm in Minnesota

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 16, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They look like zinnias to me, but I’ve never seen zinnias with dark leaves like that. Butterflies and bees do love zinnias though, and they’re easy easy to grow. I planted some a few years ago and they’ve seeded themselves back in every year.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They look like zinnias to me, but I’ve never seen zinnias with dark leaves like that. Butterflies and bees do love zinnias though, and they’re easy easy to grow. I planted some a few years ago and they’ve seeded themselves back in every year.

I love zinnias, I grew a few from seed this year and they're so pretty! The leaves do look a little different than mine but they aren't cosmos

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 16, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jealous of those delphiniums. We can grow them and foxgloves for a few months in the spring but then it gets too hot and they fry.

I have zinnias randomly popping up in all kinds of places because I put them in my compost pile one year and so anywhere I used compost I've got zinnias. Not complaining about too many zinnias.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Anyone know what this flower is? Found a big bush at a park in town that was absolutely covered in monarchs and bees. There are at least three butterflies and one bee in this photo alone. Seems like a good candidate for planting in our home gardens. (Click for Big.)

I think your image is of dahlias, a close relative of zinnias

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Really coming on to Dahlias based on a little one we have in a pot. Gorgeous, constant blooms, and seem pretty forgiving.

Also giving a sweet little genetics example!

Most blooms

Hey what's this solid pink petal?

new bloom a bit later :stare:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ColdPie posted:

Tithonia rotundifolia, Mexican sunflower?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We finally pulled out the loving yews in our front yard! :woop: Well, they're down to nubbins, anyway, to be dug out next weekend. Turns out we had four, not three. I won't miss them. I look at how much space we have up there now and I get Ideas.

I'm a little concerned about some of our azaleas, though. They must be at least 16 years old and likely far past their prime. Some seem to be doing better than others, but at least two are mostly "dead wood" and not much in the way of leaves. Here's the back/side of one that had been abutting a yew (the remains of which are on the left foreground):

All those bare branches belong to the azalea, along with the scattering of light-green leaves. Should we trim down the nonproductive branches? Fertilize the bejeezus out of it? Or pull it out and start over?

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
It's a little hard to tell from the picture but they look to be nutrient deficient. If you like azaleas and want to see if you can bring them back, I'd feed them with a high acid fertilizer like MirAcid. They're an acid-loving plant so they often need some help with their soil pH. I probably wouldn't prune them unless you're sure that the branch is dead, though others may have different opinions.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the tip. Now that you mention it, I think we do have some MirAcid; we're just not good about applying it. :blush: We have a steady supply of coffee grounds, too, though I've heard that the brewing process leaches out most/all of what would be useful to a plant, so maybe that's best consigned to the worm bin.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are cloth pots any good for perennials? I've only ever thought of them as annual vegetable containers but haven't tried them with anything else, so...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Sure, I don't see why not. If they are on the ground the roots can grow through the bottom, which is nice. They may start to degrade after a couple of years outdoors, I suppose.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
We got a new shipment of air plants!

This tectorum is très cuté!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Built these two puppies in my backyard:

Took a couple of weeks of labor, and I had some material problems along the way, but I'm happy with the way they turned out. The one on the right has broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts and some herbs. I planted carrot and beet seeds in the left one.

Something has been eating the broccoli leaves though:

How do I prevent it? Someone suggested spraying soap water as a low-cost solution but this is literally the first time I'm gardening ever and I don't know anything about anything.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
What the hell is this and what should I do about it? It's about 2.5" in diameter, and I'm in central North Carolina if that helps with ID.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looks like a tree root? You can chop it off and dig it up if it’s in your way.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Roots usually go in the ground, so that's a good place for it imo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know whether to ask this here or the food gardening thread, but does anybody have any recommended resources on landscaping? Just bought a new place and want to make the backyard something other than thicket and ivy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quick question! I bought some English Ivy a couple months ago, and I've noticed it's not looking too hot.

I currently have it hanging in front of my bay windows, and the top part of the plant(the part that is actually in the pot/coming out of the soil) has been withering and shedding leaves, and it appears to be creeping down part of the vines, as well.

I was told to keep its soil damp, so watering it about once a week, and spray its vines and leaves like every other day.

Help! I really like this plant and wanna keep her alive. :ohdear: I can take a few photos, if that would help. I'm in Boston, too, if that makes a difference?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

I don't know whether to ask this here or the food gardening thread, but does anybody have any recommended resources on landscaping? Just bought a new place and want to make the backyard something other than thicket and ivy.
Like designwise? Michael Pollan's book "Second Nature" is in general a great book, but he touches on that in some good ways I think. Go to the library and get some big glossy landscape/garden design books and just look at what you like and what you don't like. Let what's already in the yard be the framework and flesh things out from there. "Consult the genius of the place," as he says. Make beds around big trees- easier to mow and better for the tree. You might start with a circle around each tree, and then you might realize they'd look better if you connect a few of them together. That will help define your space some-what do you want to be grass? What do you want to be a bed? Want to hide your neighbors house or your own ugly shed? Plant an evergreen hedge. Whether you've got sun or shade and where you live is going to determine what you actually put in those beds and what kind of hedge you plant. You might let the beds be ivy for a year while you figure things out, and then you might kill the ivy and put down mulch and put some nice perennials in or leave something open for different annuals every year. There's no rules, there's no schedule. If you put a bush somewhere and realize its not the best place for it, you can usually just dig it up and move it. If you're in the south, the "Southern Living Garden Book" is the best book ever.

If you just want to know how to kill ivy, like 3oz of 41% glyphosate (Round Up-its available as a generic now, just read the label) with a few tablespoons of dish soap per gallon of water in a pump sprayer should kill it pretty dead. That mix will also kill anything green it touches, so be careful. Spray it now, wait a week or two, then cut it down. Whatever comes back in the spring you can spray again.

Johnny Truant posted:

Quick question! I bought some English Ivy a couple months ago, and I've noticed it's not looking too hot.

I currently have it hanging in front of my bay windows, and the top part of the plant(the part that is actually in the pot/coming out of the soil) has been withering and shedding leaves, and it appears to be creeping down part of the vines, as well.

I was told to keep its soil damp, so watering it about once a week, and spray its vines and leaves like every other day.

Help! I really like this plant and wanna keep her alive. :ohdear: I can take a few photos, if that would help. I'm in Boston, too, if that makes a difference?
Spraying the vines/leaves is probably your problem. Most plants (and especially ones with glossy leaves like ivy) don't absorb much water through the leaves. Spraying them just makes it nice and wet and humid for all kinds of fungus, and those water droplets bouncing around are a great way for all kinds of diseases and fungi to spread. Just water the soil-stick your finger in every few days and if it feels dry, give it a good soaking. Could well be something else, but I'd try that first.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Apparently Michael Pollan has recently turned his focus toward LSD..? Was not expecting that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Spraying the vines/leaves is probably your problem. Most plants (and especially ones with glossy leaves like ivy) don't absorb much water through the leaves. Spraying them just makes it nice and wet and humid for all kinds of fungus, and those water droplets bouncing around are a great way for all kinds of diseases and fungi to spread. Just water the soil-stick your finger in every few days and if it feels dry, give it a good soaking. Could well be something else, but I'd try that first.

Thanks for the input! I've thought we've keep the soil pretty damp, but we may move up to watering like 3 times a week.

Could lack of sunlight to those upper vines be doing it, as well? I have it handing relatively close to the ceiling due to cats being very interested in it, but I could certainly lower it down a bit.

Is there any kind of plant food that could help, as well? When we watered her this morning she was looking very sad :smith:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It could be the placement if you're just seeing it on the areas in the shade. Vines often shed leaves that are no longer exposed to light. You bought a plant that was acclimated to a certain light pattern and put it in a new one that hits the leaves differently. It may just be adjusting.

Watering more is almost definitely not going to help. How dry is the soil when you water it? It's better to let it dry out a bit than to keep it waterlogged. The latter just leads to disease and rot. English ivy takes a long time to actually react to dry soil. I cut it back regularly outside my house, and the separated bits of vine take forever to desiccate. Once-a-week watering is my general routine for all of my houseplants, and they're fine.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Apparently Michael Pollan has recently turned his focus toward LSD..? Was not expecting that.
He’s sort of gone of the rails lately, but I like his first few books when he wasn’t quite so sure of himself.

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks for the input! I've thought we've keep the soil pretty damp, but we may move up to watering like 3 times a week.

Could lack of sunlight to those upper vines be doing it, as well? I have it handing relatively close to the ceiling due to cats being very interested in it, but I could certainly lower it down a bit.

Is there any kind of plant food that could help, as well? When we watered her this morning she was looking very sad :smith:
It is always better to not water enough rather than water too much. If your plant starts looking dry and wrinkly or the soil it’s in is really bone dry, it’s time to water. Too much water leads to roots that can’t breathe and root death, as well as creating an environment more hospitable to disease and fungi. Unless your plant has a serious nutrient deficiency (unlikely) fertilizer is only going to make things worse. Fleshy new growth is just what most plant nasties want to eat, and you’re stressing the plant by making it grow when it really needs to chill out and save its strength. Cut back your watering and wait and see. It’ll probably be a few weeks before you notice any real improvement anyway.

You can take some cuttings from the ends of the vines about 6” long and strip off the lower leaves and stick them in a glass of water in bright light indoors and they’ll probably root in a few weeks and give you more ivy plants in case this one does die.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Has Pollan really gone off the rails? Better he dabbles with LSD then perhaps some other botanically/mycologically sourced drug.

Speaking of drugs, I read that Fittonia are hallucinogenic. How bizarre.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Built these two puppies in my backyard:

Took a couple of weeks of labor, and I had some material problems along the way, but I'm happy with the way they turned out. The one on the right has broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts and some herbs. I planted carrot and beet seeds in the left one.

Something has been eating the broccoli leaves though:

How do I prevent it? Someone suggested spraying soap water as a low-cost solution but this is literally the first time I'm gardening ever and I don't know anything about anything.

Awww hell yes, time for winter crops. Those raised beds look good.

You've got some sort of worm or Caterpillar eating on your leaves. Check their undersides and pick off any that you find. Soapy water does help get pests off, so does just hitting the leaves with a decent stream of water. Don't worry about it too much if you are only seeing minor damage, no need to go chemical.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zeroprime posted:

Awww hell yes, time for winter crops. Those raised beds look good.

You've got some sort of worm or Caterpillar eating on your leaves. Check their undersides and pick off any that you find. Soapy water does help get pests off, so does just hitting the leaves with a decent stream of water. Don't worry about it too much if you are only seeing minor damage, no need to go chemical.

Well, since posting that, the plant in the picture got ALL of its leaves eaten. I'm gonna have to rip it out and plant a new one.

I did buy some neem oil and sprayed that though, and that seemed to help. We'll see.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

enraged_camel posted:

Well, since posting that, the plant in the picture got ALL of its leaves eaten. I'm gonna have to rip it out and plant a new one.

I did buy some neem oil and sprayed that though, and that seemed to help. We'll see.
Bt is a bacteria that kills the gently caress out of caterpillars but is harmless to most everything else and is organic etc. should be available as a spray at a garden center. It smells like poo poo but it works. I’ve never really had much luck with neem oil as a preventative, but it will kill things if you spray it on them.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my spider plants are doing well but what the hell is this

they've been there for over a month. the plant is starting to grow its flowers and everything else is fine and healthy besides all the bent leaves from hanging against a wall all summer.

snoo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 14, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some kind of poop? eggs? Do they come off or are they part of the leaf?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I haven't touched them because I'm afraid of bugs lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have bad news about the outdoors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snip off the leaf then?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

again it doesn't seem to be hurting the plant, I was just hoping someone might know what they are. I will snip the leaf off though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Either poop or eggs, leaning towards eggs! Maybe possibly even some kinda bugs but if they havent moved in a month who knows

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 15, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Probably some sort of leaf scale-weird bugs that cover themselves in a hard coating and don’t move and suck juice out of your plant. If you’ve noticed any sticky spots around the plant it’s almost certainly scale (and you just touched some bug poop) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_insect?wprov=sfti1

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
Yeah my first thought was scale, though usually you'd be seeing leaf damage and they wouldn't likely all be in a line like that. Squeeze one and see if some juice pops out!