Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

andrew smash posted:

Condolences dude
:mad:

It was not the best game ever, but I completely lost myself in it for weeks. It did basically everything the old fans wanted it to do, it just turned out that nostalgia was a mildly limiting factor to great game design. Definitely excited to see how 3 turns out. And for Brian Fargo to buy back Interplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't even know Wasteland 3 was in the works and oh god now I'm hype all over again

Edit: honestly the things I didn't like about launch WL2 weren't really due to nostalgia limits, it was just kind of a mess and as I said the directors cut pretty much fixed the problems

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I agree, it was just mediocre and messy at launch but I thought the polished edition was much more enjoyable. I just wasn’t over the moon for it before launch so I didn’t have to deal with the disappointment.

Edit: I’ve only been really hype for one game in the past decade or so and it met every expectation I had or more.

Six ages, buy it if you can cause despite it being amazing it’s apparently not selling as well as its predecessor

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My thoughts on the BT games:

1 - Not even remotely fun. I think I may have finished the first dungeon once. Maybe. Getting started in that game is just nuts.

2 - The death snares are a really interesting idea. Too bad some of them are so stupid. IIRC: one of them required you to run through a series of doors multiple times in a different order. Just stupid. And at some point in the game there is a dungeon where you can't use magic. It's like slamming your balls in a drawer. I did finish the game with a walkthrough.

3 - A lot of good it just gets stupidly hard towards the end if you haven't grinded up your characters. Or abused a glitch in the beginning where you can get infinite XP. This one doesn't get super hard until the final dungeon, so that's okay. I finished this one, too.

Overall, I'd recommend playing Ultima 4 - 7, instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, there really isn't any good reason to play the original Bard's Tale games. If you want that kind of game, Wizardry 5-7 has got you covered, and the Might and Magic Xeen games too. There's really nothing at all that BT does better than those and a whole lot that it does worse.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I thought Wasteland 2 and the new Torment were fun games that had flaws and weren't as good as Larian or Obsidian's latest entries. With that said, I'm excited for Wasteland 3 because I understand George Ziets is as the helm as Mask of the Betrayer remains the best RPG saddled with the worst engine.

I like combat heavy RPGs if they have lots of classes and stats that make a difference (Wasteland 2 had too many trivial stats and too many gradations of stats). Wizardry 8 and both Divinity Original Sin games are quite fun. I never played the original Bard's Tale games, and navigating mazes strikes me as terribly boring (I don't know if that was part of Bard's Tale, but I suspect it was). Does Bard's Tale 4 has much to offer in terms of lots of character customization (by which I mean things like skills and perks and builds, not playing dress up).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

andrew smash posted:

Edit: I’ve only been really hype for one game in the past decade or so and it met every expectation I had or more.

Six ages, buy it if you can cause despite it being amazing it’s apparently not selling as well as its predecessor

I would buy Six Ages if it was available on any other platform than iOS. What a strange way to release a PC game sequel. Anyway I loved KoDP so I'll be waiting for it to hit Steam or whatever else.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Chinook posted:

I would buy Six Ages if it was available on any other platform than iOS. What a strange way to release a PC game sequel. Anyway I loved KoDP so I'll be waiting for it to hit Steam or whatever else.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881420/Six_Ages_Ride_Like_the_Wind/

EDIT: Oh nevermind, it's not out yet.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

prometheusbound2 posted:

Does Bard's Tale 4 has much to offer in terms of lots of character customization (by which I mean things like skills and perks and builds, not playing dress up).

There seem to be a few major approaches to each class, and I swap out skills pretty often for particular fights / situations. I'm only just starting to tinker with the summons and my party's level 15-18 - made a second wizard myself to do it since the one you get's a bladecaster, and the first summon is pretty bonkers and plays quite interestingly.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Chinook posted:

They went for iOS because iOS numbers on KODP vastly eclipsed all of the PC releases

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

precision posted:

I didn't even know Wasteland 3 was in the works and oh god now I'm hype all over again
Yeah, it was a kind of beautiful thing really; they barely had to ask for support this time around and still crowdfunded $3 million. Very pleasant to see. Plus...nobody has done Snowpocalypse since, what, Transarctica? And nobody ACTUALLY played that, so this is uncharted ground!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

andrew smash posted:

They went for iOS because iOS numbers on KODP vastly eclipsed all of the PC releases

That was before everything on mobile went freemium and when Apple completely dominated the high end* phone market.

*Had a decent enough screen and processor at the time to run Kodp well. We're talking years ago here remember, when a lot of people still just had phones that could play snake on their 2 inch screen.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It came out in 2012, hardly the era of snake. I ran it fine on a 3 year old iPhone when it launched.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I made a thread for point and click adventure games:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870647

I think some of you might be interested.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Waltzing Along posted:

I made a thread for point and click adventure games:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870647

I think some of you might be interested.

What's wrong with the old adventure games thread?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well gently caress. I went back four pages and didn't see anything. Turns out it was five pages back. Oh well.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I picked up Neverwinter Nights Enhanced because I watched the Noah Caldwell-Gervais video on the series and decided I wanted to play that game again and this game isn't very enhanced at all. Still some D&D-rear end D&D though. Playing a wizard for maximum caster supremacy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chinook posted:

Yeah, was going to post this very thing. I will gladly buy the game once it is out for platforms I can play it on. As much as I love Glorantha games I am not buying a new phone to play them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Glagha posted:

So I picked up Neverwinter Nights Enhanced because I watched the Noah Caldwell-Gervais video on the series and decided I wanted to play that game again and this game isn't very enhanced at all. Still some D&D-rear end D&D though. Playing a wizard for maximum caster supremacy.

It's just a graphics update. They didn't change or improve any of the actual coding.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

They don't appear to have updated the graphics much either TBH.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Glagha posted:

They don't appear to have updated the graphics much either TBH.

They made it so you can run at modern resolutions, but they didn't redo the textures. Kinda what they did with Baldur's Gate on a graphical level.

Did they add any classes or make it so you could be a spellcaster and use a prestige class that gave you more spells and have it work?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Skwirl posted:

They made it so you can run at modern resolutions, but they didn't redo the textures. Kinda what they did with Baldur's Gate on a graphical level.

Did they add any classes or make it so you could be a spellcaster and use a prestige class that gave you more spells and have it work?

As stated, they literally did not touch anything with the gameplay. It even still has the same old bugs. They apparently worked over the netcode, supposedly, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fuzz posted:

As stated, they literally did not touch anything with the gameplay. It even still has the same old bugs.

gently caress, couldn't they have at least wrote a check to the PRC guys and include some of the less broken poo poo from that?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Skwirl posted:

gently caress, couldn't they have at least wrote a check to the PRC guys and include some of the less broken poo poo from that?

Better still: none of the old poo poo works on it because they repackaged how and where all the data is stored, so literally everything has to be remade.

Progress! :downsowned:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Better still: none of the old poo poo works on it because they repackaged how and where all the data is stored, so literally everything has to be remade.

Progress! :downsowned:

I thought one of the selling points was that old mods should still work? High price to pay for better resolution.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What's this prestige class bug for spellcasters? You don't gain spells for PRCs?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Glagha posted:

What's this prestige class bug for spellcasters? You don't gain spells for PRCs?

That's it exactly. You can't gain spells from a prestige class.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Knock NWN2 as much as you want, it really fixed a lot of the poo poo wrong in 1. It also expanded the coding to really allow for some crazy poo poo.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone know if there's a community patch out for Enhanced?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Is there anything wrong with the old version of NWN? I just realised I have it installed on my hard drive and it actually works, but haven't played long enough to be sure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bholder posted:

Is there anything wrong with the old version of NWN? I just realised I have it installed on my hard drive and it actually works, but haven't played long enough to be sure.

The main campaign isn't great, but the rerelease apparently didn't add any content and broke all of the old mods so unless you need the same old textures and polygons in HD you're probably fine.

Magirot
Oct 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

The main campaign isn't great, but the rerelease apparently didn't add any content and broke all of the old mods so unless you need the same old textures and polygons in HD you're probably fine.

How did it break the old mods? They seemed to work fine in the beta and release.

But I can second that there's basically nothing in the NWN EE for regular singleplayers, bizarrely they mostly focused on the pseudo-MMO Persistent Worlds and helping with new custom content (new scripting commands etc.). I guess that's the section of the community that had been active for the 10 years that BioWare wasn't supporting the game, but you probably can't finance a remaster by catering to just a few hundred people.

Glagha posted:

Does anyone know if there's a community patch out for Enhanced?

It got an official patch a few days ago, I doubt it's in the community patch stage yet.

Magirot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 8, 2018

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Blue's News are reporting that Microsoft could be buying Obsidian: https://www.bluesnews.com/s/194183/microsoft-buying-obsidian

rip

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well Microsoft did so well with Turbine that... Oh.

I want to believe they know something we do not. Maybe this will result in them having the funding to do one spectacular game before they get put on the team making mobile isometric Halo Battle Royale

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Obsidian seems like a weird one to buy if you want a studio to crank out stable side projects. They aren't particularly known for mega hits or releasing bug free products on time. They usually produce interesting messes (which I love don't get me wrong). PoE isn't a big enough brand to want to buy just for that either. Presumably if they are buying Obsidian they do want them to make something reminiscent of what they've been making.

Then again you had the 90s with EA buying up all the studious just to run them into the ground and abandon their IP so who knows.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lmao rip

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IMO it's Archer Protocol time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Halo Protocol

Fallout: Halo

Tyrannhalo

Halo Siege IV

Halo Park: The Halo of Halo

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah just look at all the examples of other studios who Microsoft have purchased and then put to work making Halo games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CRPG isometric halo?