Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
You can't get PU'd when you're in a war. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[charles of burgundy tapping head]

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Lithuania -> Uncommonwealth is super cool now. Lithuania’s mission tree gets you a PU over Poland and Muscovy (!), then you form the PLC and get the Missions to PU Hungary and Bohemia. Bam the whole Eastern Europe belongs to you.

Lemon Head
Nov 6, 2010
New dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-9th-of-october-2018.1122972/

We’ve got some new provinces and releasable nations in Iberia, and a few scattered around North Africa. Doesn’t look like anything too major otherwise unless you like playing Navarra. Navarra looks far harder than before now that it is landlocked between Castile and Aragon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lemon Head posted:

New dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-9th-of-october-2018.1122972/

We�ve got some new provinces and releasable nations in Iberia, and a few scattered around North Africa. Doesn�t look like anything too major otherwise unless you like playing Navarra. Navarra looks far harder than before now that it is landlocked between Castile and Aragon.
I have to wonder how the culture map looks....Castillian down in southern Iberia this early will tick me off. I really hope that they do something to help Granada last past the early 1450s when they historically held on in the 1490s.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It'd be nice if they gave Granada something, Byzantium gets permanent claims on poo poo they lost 200 years before the Crusader Kings II start date but Granada doesn't even have claims on all of al-Andalus.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Of course the game I start after quitting a Moldavia run in the mid 1490s has the Ottomans get absolutely destroyed by Venice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's the best way to ensure they'll fall. Also applies to France, Ming, Muscovy, etc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Funky Valentine posted:

Of course the game I start after quitting a Moldavia run in the mid 1490s has the Ottomans get absolutely destroyed by Venice.

I did several consecutive Mysore starts where Vijayanagar crushingly won wars against Bahmanis, Orissa and Gujarat within the first decade or so leaving me completely isolated against a great power. Then in my next playthrough Bahmanis AI conquered back all their cores and took Vijayanagar's capital province in an early war.

I am playing as Taungu and for some reason (the reason is the game hates you) Arakan is allied to Orissa, Jaunpur and Ayutthaya, completely cockblocking me from finishing my early mission chains.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Lithuania -> Uncommonwealth is super cool now. Lithuania�s mission tree gets you a PU over Poland and Muscovy (!), then you form the PLC and get the Missions to PU Hungary and Bohemia. Bam the whole Eastern Europe belongs to you.

This is what I've been trying to pull off for a few days now but I get greedy and try to PU Bohemia at the start of the game, which means getting your dynasty on the throne before the z Podebrad event kicks off, then hopefully (1) getting Poland to help you and (2) having Austria dishonor the Call to Arms, which only happens if Poland and Austria are both rivals of Bohemia.

Finally got it to fire last night then my king died a year later and the PU broke :(

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Man whenever I read a devblog about more provinces all I can read it as is "here have some more lovely low development 3 province states.". Would be nice if they could re balance states around the fact that some areas are just super lovely.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tahirovic posted:

Man whenever I read a devblog about more provinces all I can read it as is "here have some more lovely low development 3 province states.". Would be nice if they could re balance states around the fact that some areas are just super lovely.

This so much, gently caress. India rework was cool but it's actually reduced the amount of high-development states.

It gets a bit much when there are states in Europe > 100 dev and ones in the RotW that are 15-20

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So I got this game, what's a good start to learn? I have no interest in starting in Europe at all. I have close to 2000 hours in CK2, and I'm super excited for the next (and probably last) CK2 DLC, where I will hopefully spender several dozen more hours playing Norse or Romuva or the Byzantines or Catholics, etc.

I started up as the Uesugi, and it's pretty different from Crusader Kings. What do I even do? Send diplomats to improve relations? Apparently I don't need to fabricate claims, because of the special nature of playing in Japan. But what else? Sending merchants to collect money. Anything else? I don't see much else I can do, besides recruiting troops. I unpaused, and the other daimyos around me were constantly shifting their ships and troops around, and I don't know why.

So I started as Cuzco, because apparently Japan is extra special and a bad place to start. But I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do besides conquering neighboring countries. I made some alliances, and fabricated a claim on a one province rival. I basically lost the war, because more of their allies joined the war than mine, and besieging the province took ages. Why is it going in two phases, from -x% to +x%? Why does it take so long?

Any starter tips, or a good guide how to play EU4?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Ottomans and Ming are both good, imo. Ming does have a special mechanic in the form of Tributaries and Mandate, but it's pretty easy to grasp the basics of and you basically have to be trying to gently caress them up as a player IME. Ottos are just plain strong, with a lot of avenues for expansion in all directions, and their govtype means they never have to worry about regencies either IIRC.

You could also try Majapahit; it's a bit harder/slower than the other two but you'll generally still have pretty clear goals and the means to pursue them.

In terms of specifics: Get strong allies, be an opportunistic gently caress, and do not fear debt. Unlike CK2, you can usually take more loans than you know what to do with lol

MaxieSatan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 10, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Do not start as a Native American for your first game. You will not get anything like an idea of what this game is like, even if you pick one of the less lame ones like Aztec or Inca there will be literal decades of waiting around on speed 5 doing nothing in your future, culminating in you getting annihilated by the first colonizer that sneezes at you because you don’t know how to achieve tech parity with them and use them as colony farms.

Japan though much more fun is another very dicey starting location until you know what you’re doing, the lack of defense-in-depth potential there means that games can end extremely quickly if you don’t have an excellent read on the strategic situation.

I recommend starting in India if you really don’t want to touch Europe, the latest expansion was focused on it so there’s a good amount of stuff to do. Though I’m not sure how much of it will be available if you don’t have the expansion. Try Vijayanagar.

Siege: provinces either have a fort or don’t. Provinces without a fort can be sieged down by any force of at least 1000 men in around a month. Provinces with a fort can take much longer depending on the upgrade level of the fort. Sieges of forts work by adding up a bunch of factors (most important for you to worry about are your number of artillery units and the number of siege pips that the besieging general has) and then factoring in a dice roll every 30 days or so. The percentage you see reflects the probability that the fort will be successfully taken on the next roll of the dice. It starts out negative because your army just got there and the guys inside the fort are holding out fine, but as time elapses it will increase until it is greater than zero, and eventually will continue to increase (barring unfavorable dice rolls) until the fort capitulates. All this can be assessed in more detail by mousing over the various numbers on the province siege tab. As a Native American at game start sieges will take forever unless you rolled a good siege general, because nobody has any artillery.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would say Ming is a horrible country to learn the game with. It's sheer size will be rather daunting and the scale of your empire at the start of the game will be such that most of the smaller decisions you make have very minor to virtually no effect. You also have too many possible avenues for expansion and the mandate and tributary side of things is too radically different from how you manage any other country.

Ottomans are much better for learning the game but they still have the problem of basically nobody ever posing a threat.

I'd go with Muscovy personally. Your starting position is very strong but you have rivals who are equally as strong as well as easy targets that provide a clear path for expansion.

A Japan start isn't all that bad for learning the game though, I'd say. It has a lot of unique mechanics that make it different, but the basics are all there. It'll teach you how to diplomatically maneuver yourself into a dominant position while keeping you engaged until Japan is unified. After that you're kind of in a dead area for international activity, though.

Brandenburg is also good for learning the game, particularly HRE mechanics. You start out as a decent mid-sized power who can become an absolute monster starting from the mid game as long as you play your cards right.

For a proper guide, this video series is a bit out of date by now but most of the broad strokes still apply. Maybe it'll be helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 10, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

One of the bigger countries in India is probably your best bet for newbie friendly non-Europe starts. Either that or you could have a go at Ethiopia as long as you don't mind the Ottomans probably kicking your teeth in eventually.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would say Ming is a horrible country to learn the game with. It's sheer size will be rather daunting and the scale of your empire at the start of the game will be such that most of the smaller decisions you make have very minor to virtually no effect. You also have too many possible avenues for expansion and the mandate and tributary side of things is too radically different from how you manage any other country.

Ottomans are much better for learning the game but they still have the problem of basically nobody ever posing a threat.

I'd go with Muscovy personally. Your starting position is very strong but you have rivals who are equally as strong as well as easy targets that provide a clear path for expansion.

A Japan start isn't all that bad for learning the game though, I'd say. It has a lot of unique mechanics that make it different, but the basics are all there. It'll teach you how to diplomatically maneuver yourself into a dominant position while keeping you engaged until Japan is unified. After that you're kind of in a dead area for international activity, though.

Brandenburg is also good for learning the game, particularly HRE mechanics. You start out as a decent mid-sized power who can become an absolute monster starting from the mid game as long as you play your cards right.

For a proper guide, this video series is a bit out of date by now but most of the broad strokes still apply. Maybe it'll be helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU

Euros are really easy to learn particular mechanics with

Austria or brandenburg are good for HRE and learning how to expand

Poland/muscovy are blob-friendly, although poland has risk on all sides, especially mid game

England/Castile/Portugal are good for being colonizer/naval powerhouses, along with continental somewhat-powers

France/ottomans are powerhouses where you can master mass-conquest. Both have relatively easy starts, and if you play the early game well it sorta turns into map-painting.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I loving hate it when you declare war on someone and it causes a nearby AI to also declare war and occupy a number of unfortified provinces you want, while you siege down their forts, then you can't ever get the peace you want, and the other AI will never peace out either because they can't get the warscore and/or the provinces they want.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Randarkman posted:

I loving hate it when you declare war on someone and it causes a nearby AI to also declare war and occupy a number of unfortified provinces you want, while you siege down their forts, then you can't ever get the peace you want, and the other AI will never peace out either because they can't get the warscore and/or the provinces they want.

Strategy one: Let the AI do all the hard work to take their stupid provinces, then swoop in like a vulture on your weakened enemy

Strategy two: split your army into a bunch of 2stax (to compensate for attrition) and siege literally everything your boots can hit before they can

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Declare war on them too :unsmigghh:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Declare war on them too :unsmigghh:

I would, but allied with France.

Also, the early HRE is possibly the most miserable place to fight, due to the AI's ability to get military access with everyone on the globe, they just skit around wherever the hell they please.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 10, 2018

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
If you want to avoid Europe you could try starting as one of the bunch of interchangeable nations in Indonesia, someone big in India, or maybe Kilwa or Ethiopia.

Anyone in the Americas is terrible, but Japan isn't bad.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Also, the early HRE is possibly the most miserable place to fight, due to the AI's ability to get military access with everyone on the globe, they just skit around wherever the hell they please.

In fairness, you can usually move fairly freely too - I think there's some weird rule where if you're at war with someone in the HRE you get access through all non-hostile members or something?

...mind you, they won't stay non-hostile if you're frequently taking HRE territory.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Randarkman posted:

tbf you don't need military access to traipse around as you please in the HRE if both belligerents are members

But outside of that yeah it's a pretty big nuisance and it would be nice if they fixed it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Randarkman posted:

persia is by far the worst place to fight, and then full size ming

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Declaring on someone already losing a war, kicking them while they’re down, is a time-honoured tradition.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
@Torrannor

Mali is fun. Seed institutions, go expansion and colonize the cape or brazil. Beat up your neighboors and conquer morocco from the south.Kongo is nice as well, become a central african superpower and then conquer india or something.

Dunno how noob friendly tho, but I remember Mali as p easy.

Also use dont forget to use the ledger, and also to check military tech before going to war with someone. They having one more level compared to you can make a huge difference.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 10, 2018

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Chiming in to say that the Ottomans are still probably the best first nation. As long as you don't get yourself into a coalition it's pretty easy and I don't think being relatively untouchable is a bad thing when you're first starting the game. I know I've still hosed things up pretty handily as the Ottomans, it's possible.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Zombiepop posted:

@Torrannor

Mali is fun. Seed institutions, go expansion and colonize the cape or brazil. Beat up your neighboors and conquer morocco from the south.Kongo is nice as well, become a central african superpower and then conquer india or something.

Dunno how noob friendly tho, but I remember Mali as p easy.

Also use dont forget to use the ledger, and also to check military tech before going to war with someone. They having one more level compared to you can make a huge difference.

Isn't developing provinces an expansion feature? Unless Torrannor has whichever one it's from, they won't be able to seed institutions and will probably get stomped on by Castile

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is there a balance reason for the lack of being able to add your vassals' provinces to the HRE if you're the emperor? It seems kind of strange that you can't and instead have to go through the tedious process of conquer -> core -> add provinces to HRE -> release territory as vassal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wafflecopper posted:

Isn't developing provinces an expansion feature? Unless Torrannor has whichever one it's from, they won't be able to seed institutions and will probably get stomped on by Castile

I have all gameplay DLC except Dharma. How do I develop provinces?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

On the main province screen, there's little square buttons by where it shows the development of the province. Boosting dev increases the progress of institutions in that province, and is a much faster way to get them than waiting for them to spread naturally from Europe, and the only way you can hope to keep up with the Europeans in tech

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 11, 2018

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Something that always bugged me: do you gain anything trade-wise when you build the Kiel Canal or the others? Or is it just a shortcut to try and trap enemy navies once in a blue moon?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sephyr posted:

Something that always bugged me: do you gain anything trade-wise when you build the Kiel Canal or the others? Or is it just a shortcut to try and trap enemy navies once in a blue moon?

Afaik it's just a shortcut, and as Sweden/Denmark it could make sense to build it if by that time in the game you still haven't wrested full control of the Baltic sea.

Edit: no it also gives +20 trade power in the province it's built in, still not the best use of money if that's the only reason you're making it

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ahh, gotcha. I mostly build them for bragging rights alone once you reach that phase of the game in which you are basically rolling in ducats.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Playing as Ethiopia, and I just got a little peek of Anatolia :eyepop:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Playing as Ethiopia, and I just got a little peek of Anatolia :eyepop:

What a dream. All my Ethiopia runs ended in tragedy once the Ottos finished what Mamluk land I didn't eat and stormed south.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Ahh, gotcha. I mostly build them for bragging rights alone once you reach that phase of the game in which you are basically rolling in ducats.

Suez is really useful if you're playing an empire that straddles Europe and Asia and want to move your navy between the med and the Indian Ocean without sailing all the way around africa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's really good if you have light ship working the Alexandria node.