Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The Soyuz mission to the ISS just had a launch failure, crew is supposedly okay and is now going back down for ballistic re-entry. They're deploying search and rescue teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Supposedly

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NASA confirms they're on the ground and in radio contact with rescue crews

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

This just reminded me of the conspiracy theory that there were a bunch of failed Russian space missions during the space race that were covered up to save face, and there’s a dude in Italy who claims to have recordings of some of the radio transmissions from those missions.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Sexy social anxiety that keeps you from dating or meeting anybody new.

As for the lost cosmonaut conspiracy theory, that's one I can actually believe. Not the audio recordings, but the idea that the USSR had at least one mission failure that resulted in a death and they covered it up because :ussr:.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

BigDave posted:

Sexy social anxiety that keeps you from dating or meeting anybody new.

As for the lost cosmonaut conspiracy theory, that's one I can actually believe. Not the audio recordings, but the idea that the USSR had at least one mission failure that resulted in a death and they covered it up because :ussr:.

Wasn't there one where the guy died in re-entry cursing and swearing at the authorities who sent him into space with inadequate heat shielding? I'm pretty sure there's pictures of his rather blackened corpse "lying in state".

The Italians I think were supposed to have a recording of a capsule basically heading off out the solar system with the cosmonaut not being really about about it.

This is the one

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Internet Wizard posted:

This just reminded me of the conspiracy theory that there were a bunch of failed Russian space missions during the space race that were covered up to save face, and there’s a dude in Italy who claims to have recordings of some of the radio transmissions from those missions.

Burt posted:

Wasn't there one where the guy died in re-entry cursing and swearing at the authorities who sent him into space with inadequate heat shielding? I'm pretty sure there's pictures of his rather blackened corpse "lying in state".

The Italians I think were supposed to have a recording of a capsule basically heading off out the solar system with the cosmonaut not being really about about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judica-Cordiglia_brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK-intkAa0A

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Burt posted:

This guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Komarov

http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/space-disasters/soyuz-1/tragic-death-vladimir-komarov/

The parachutes of his module didn't open and he came down from the orbit without being able to stop slow his descent. I remember reading some article (other than the one above) that summarized his last words as being "you killed me you fuckers, I'm burning".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/craigsilverman/status/1050233204127363072?s=21

https://twitter.com/robertmaguire_/status/1050068812924628993?s=21

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 11, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Sears is finally going tits up.

Wall Street Journal posted:

Sears Holdings Corp. [US:SHLD] met with its lenders Wednesday night to discuss emergency financing for the embattled retailer, according to people familiar with the matter. The meeting ended without an agreement that would keep Sears operating as a going concern, according to one of the people.

A group of lenders, including Bank of America Corp., Wells Fargo & Co. and Citigroup Inc., are pushing for the company to liquidate its assets under a chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, as opposed to reorganizing the business under chapter 11, this person said.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
RIP Craftsman tools.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They parcelled out Craftsman a while ago didn’t they?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah Lowe’s sells Craftsman stuff now. Their lovely ratchets will live on for future generations to curse.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Sexy dead RBG

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I really love the literal Ayn Rand worshipping story of Sears destroying itself through CEO stupidity. Won't even begin to penetrate the thick skulls of anyone dumb enough to believe that poo poo but at least I get to see a failure of the ideology.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Years ago I worked for a marketing analytics company and Sears was a client. Like clockwork anytime there was a bad news story about them they would drop a few thousand on additional licenses for our services. Which would then not get used by anyone at Sears. Some genius thought more data was the solution to all their problems but didn't have any follow through. They were spending around a quarter million a year on licenses when I left the company and getting nothing out of it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Stanley tools bought craftsman a few years ago.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Soulex posted:

Zoidberg! No!

Awoowoowoowoowoowoo!
*click* *click*

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I remember my dad in like 2009 almost getting into a fistfight at Sears over replacing like a screwdriver that had broken or something. The clerk said they don't replace them for free anymore and my dad got into an argument until the store manager and I guess a visiting district manager came over wondering what the gently caress. The district manager walked over to the shelf, got the screwdriver, and told my dad to please be quiet and leave.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So your dad's problem solving amounts to throwing a tantrum?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
He was real big on people keeping their word. A foolish idea that cost him an extreme amount of money on bad deals over the years. Sears said lifetime replacement, so he was quite mad they didn't honor that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's amazing that Sears has held on this long. Even Chicago has no more Sears stores, their hometown flagship if you could even call it that closed years ago.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
One of my first jobs was a cashier at Sears. A customer once wanted to exchange a radial arm saw for a brand new one because it had the Craftsman badge on the side.

He did not get a new saw.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I feel like that's totally a Boomer mindset. Millennials don't expect whatever guarantee to last and if it does, great, if not, gently caress it. Greatest generation and the silent generation got hosed hard by promises like that before the war so damned if they think a guarantee is actually worth anything till it actually pans out.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bird food bathtub posted:

I really love the literal Ayn Rand worshipping story of Sears destroying itself through CEO stupidity. Won't even begin to penetrate the thick skulls of anyone dumb enough to believe that poo poo but at least I get to see a failure of the ideology.

In wanting to know more about what happened at Sears:

quote:

Imagine that a major league basketball team is bought by a hedge fund manager who is a firm believer in the value of competition. Not just competition across teams, but competition within teams. He implements a radical new policy: each player’s salary is determined exclusively by the number of points he scores. Crazy, right? Anyone can see that such a policy would ruin teamwork and destroy the team’s ability to compete with more cohesive teams.

Yet this is exactly what is now happening at Sears. Five years ago, Eddie Lampert, the chairman of Sears Holdings after Sears merged with Kmart, reorganized the company so that each business unit functions like an autonomous company, with its own president, board of directors, and profit-and-loss statement. According to a profile of Lampert by Mina Kimes in Bloomberg Businessweek:

“Lampert runs Sears like a hedge fund portfolio, with dozens of autonomous businesses competing for his attention and money. An outspoken advocate of free-market economics and fan of the novelist Ayn Rand, he created the model because he expected the invisible hand of the market to drive better results. If the company’s leaders were told to act selfishly, he argued, they would run their divisions in a rational manner, boosting overall performance.”

I ran across a blog post that critiqued Sears' Randian experiment from an evolutionary standpoint, which was a really interesting way to look at it.:

quote:

Evolution is all about competition, and the dramatic effects that competition has on the structure and behavior of organisms over time. But here’s the key idea: competition occurs at multiple levels simultaneously, and the winner at any one level generally succeeds by suppressing destructive forms of competition at the level below. Just look at our cells: each one contains mitochondria, each of which has its own DNA because mitochondria used to be free-living organisms. But somehow, various bacteria-like organisms found a way to incorporate each other and cooperate, and the result was the eukaryotic cell, which spread like wildfire over a billion years ago because it was able to harvest the benefits of division of labor.

Eukaryotic cells then found a way to cooperate with each other to form multi-cellular animals and plants, which spread like wildfire because they too were able to reap the benefits of the division of labor: some cells became leg muscles; others became adrenal glands or brain cells, and the diversified body was able to do things like run after other animals, kill them, and eat them.

But individual organisms are not the highest level of organization. In a few species – such as bees, ants, and humans – evolution created innovations that allow groups of thousands or millions of individuals to work together toward common goals and build gigantic corporate entities, such as beehives, ant nests, and… corporations such as Sears, which thrive and cover the earth because they reap the benefits of the division of labor.

This is the point that Lampert seems not to have grasped: cooperation and trust generate extraordinary value, yet they are fragile and easily undermined by competition at the next-lower level. It’s as though there’s an invisible band, which ties all the members together and motivates them to work for the common good. But if you tell everyone to be selfish and then you reward selfishness, the band dissolves and you lose the benefits of cooperation and division of labor

Here's the post.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

joat mon posted:

I ran across a blog post that critiqued Sears' Randian experiment from an evolutionary standpoint, which was a really interesting way to look at it.:

Here's the post.

Lol this is how the company I work for operates. Every piece of equipment "costs" our division (utilities) because the equipment division "charges" the crew who uses it. It leads to so much loving bullshit cause managers get bonuses on how much money they save so you go to jobs with excavators that are too small, or they get rid of it the second they don't need it anymore without the forethought that they might need to use it again.

Each division has their own president and underlings etc. It blows my mind that a company that makes billions can't even buy new loving lifting straps or shackles when people need them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There’s a key part of this system though. All those cost savings go into the pockets of the branch/division/department executives and upper management. C-level executives and administrators walk away from dedicated corporate corpses with many millions of dollars of assets and cash. And these are the people we allow to make the decisions.

Feature not bug.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

When a person has internal competition like that it’s called an autoimmune disease or cancer

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

joat mon posted:

Here's the post.

Funnily enough also similar to how Hitler ran the German military. With similar results.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Internet Wizard posted:

When a person has internal competition like that it’s called an autoimmune disease or cancer

This dovetails well with the recent EPA news on moving to deregulate (among other things) low level radiation exposures. The leading 'scientific' proponent of the idea (very much a minority view in the scientific community) believes that low levels of radiation will make us healthier.

Discover Magazine article

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

Stephen Miller’s 3rd Grade Teacher Calls Him ‘A Strange Dude’ Who Ate Glue

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stephen-miller-3rd-grade-teacher_us_5bbe815de4b0b27cf47a54b9?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of his former classmates said that about him too. At least the drying part, don't remember if there was anything about him eating it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Handsome Ralph posted:

I feel like that's totally a Boomer mindset. Millennials don't expect whatever guarantee to last and if it does, great, if not, gently caress it. Greatest generation and the silent generation got hosed hard by promises like that before the war so damned if they think a guarantee is actually worth anything till it actually pans out.

Allegedly they really did honor the "lifetime warranty" thing really well in the past. My grandpa was telling me about how he would buy busted up Craftsman stuff at garage sales and go exchange it for new tools and they'd do it no questions asked.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ford is planning on laying off 24,000 because they're eating a billion in MAGA tariffs

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://youtu.be/ML_Vn0FF6lM

Tyndall afb got loving wrecked. Gonna take months to years to cleanup and repair it.

Watch the whole thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Allegedly they really did honor the "lifetime warranty" thing really well in the past. My grandpa was telling me about how he would buy busted up Craftsman stuff at garage sales and go exchange it for new tools and they'd do it no questions asked.
REI changed their replacement policy recently because people were abusing the system like that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ford is planning on laying off 24,000 because they're eating a billion in MAGA tariffs

Owns

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How else will Michigan dumbfucks learn their lesson? They won't

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

https://youtu.be/ML_Vn0FF6lM

Tyndall afb got loving wrecked. Gonna take months to years to cleanup and repair it.

Watch the whole thing.

Time to import some lance corporals for a working party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Has Trump given himself an 'A' for the response yet?

• Locked thread