Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like system mastery and their spinoffs. I used to like I Don’t Even Own A Television but I’m increasingly feeling like their content warnings have passed a point where it’s no longer about showing due diligence to their audience and more about showing what great and thoughtful guys they are? It’s a podcast about laughing at bad books: that they tend to be terrible and thoughtless and offensive is sort of assumed? Them beating their breasts and rending their cloaks about how awful it all is seems a little bit, I dunno, staged?

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol marco is *definitely* waiting for that call from cupertino

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1050396903505051648

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Endless Mike posted:

lmao

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

Sad trombone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is he really saying that he thinks Apple is short on people who know how to write iOS apps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Is he really saying that he thinks Apple is short on people who know how to write iOS apps

i think it’s about buying apps or startups, which does happen every now and then

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

he is basically expecting apple to buy his app because he finds his app to be superior to the stock podcasts

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apple bought a piece of dialog semiconductor and took on a bunch of its employees. dialog makes power management chips and other mixed analog-digital parts. looks like Apple decided they want to do more with these.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think it’s about buying apps or startups, which does happen every now and then

he's mentioned hating working for big companies so i think he just wants praise or access to engineers (and their secrets)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

he is basically expecting apple to buy his app because he finds his app to be superior to the stock podcasts

his app is better but it’s never going to get bought out because 1) no one cares since eddy cue owns podcasts, and 2) you don’t get acquired by putting out statements that start marketing fires for Apple, which Marco has done several times.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

FMguru posted:

lol

no one wants apple expensive, fragile, donglemachines

wow I cannot believe that sales go down immediately before an expected hardware refresh

I also plan on holding these pumpkin futures through December because I am a financial genius.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

wow I cannot believe that sales go down immediately before an expected hardware refresh

"expected" hardware refresh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

lmao what a tool

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

"expected" hardware refresh

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they held off on refreshing the Mac pro for so long to give timb a chance to announce the ultimate coup - something Steve could never do:

the 3ghz g5 Mac pro

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

POWER architecture is real interesting the past couple of years and a water cooled POWER9 monster with glowing apple logos would be p sweet

what was the last ppc osx, 10.4? 10.5? release the tiger timb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

POWER architecture is real interesting the past couple of years and a water cooled POWER9 monster with glowing apple logos would be p sweet

I bet they're maintaining a power build of os x just in case they need to switch back

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

the robocaller yelled "not!" and hung up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"hello is this mister marco armrest?"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

10.4 was the last good ppc build, 10.5 technically worked but sucked

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

qirex posted:

I bet they're maintaining a power build of os x just in case they need to switch back

nah they couldn't use it for anything but the mac pro anyway because of tdp

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and here I assume it means he expected the call to be regarding his app being revoked from the store or something

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

FMguru posted:

no one wants donglemachines

FMguru posted:

FMguru posted:

FMguru posted:

loving yes i don't care if apple succeeds or fails but drat i'm happy that the year of the dongle was met with 11% sales decline

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

and here I assume it means he expected the call to be regarding his app being revoked from the store or something

i think you just get an email about that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

fig 1. the dream computer of a bunch of smelly weirdos ITT who are describing a desktop instead of a laptop

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this would be such a stupid move commercially, but man that would be cool and interesting, and tbqh i am 100% sure whatever apple does with the pro next will be at *least* as stupid while not nearly as interesting

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Toady posted:

he wants them to call and arrange a photo shoot so they can profile him on the front page of the App Store like that omni group dude

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

this was perfection

and then they hosed it up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toady posted:

yeah but that’s the call I’d be worried about

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if they added a single "legacy" usb port 90% of people wouldn't care any more
if they also added a SD card reader that would jump to 95-98%

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

this was perfection

gross.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lord funk posted:

loving yes i don't care if apple succeeds or fails but drat i'm happy that the year of the dongle was met with 11% sales decline

no doubt they more than made up the difference on high-margin accessories and dongles

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

My god, my world is ruined. I had to put one of these on the single cable that I don't use at my desk on a dock

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

jony wept https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/1050437012917014530

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JamesLiamCook/status/1050435216865730561?s=19

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

r u ready to WALK posted:

this was perfection

wasn't someone in here just the other day telling me that firewire ports were "going out the door by 2008"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is loving weird that rj45 didn't get squeezed a lot flatter at some point, it is one of those where the physical dimensions are obviously unnecessarily large and a forward-compatible redesign (with a slightly wider but much flatter section with the same wiring was instead used) would have been trivial

the x1c does ok on ports in a lot of ways, but it has a proprietary physical ethernet port, which is incredbily pointless, since the converter is the same size as a usb ethernet dongle

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone remember those old laptops with rj11 jacks where it was an open plastic rectangle that popped out the side of the laptop and you sorta snapped in to this flimsy plastic square? those were cool and I'm sure absolutely terrible

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

good, if wifi isn't fast enough for whatever device you are using and a dongle is unacceptable, then the device can stand to be an inch thick. one thing we don't need is even more connectors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted: