Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Not enough people smoking cigarettes in that picture for it to be infantry

Look where it says 2-2 EN above the former right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Serious post: I need to learn more about electrical grounding procedures / methods for helicopters deathtraps for a SBIR proposal. Any UNCLASS FMs available or other public resources?

Alternately, stories of poor bastards having to manually ground birds before cargo / refueling / etc operations will help me better replace said bastards with a robot. :science: User research! I thought I remembered an entertaining 50FA tale about this.

PM / pointing me to IRC is cool too since, public forum. Don’t tell me anything you’re not supposed too, obviously.

movax fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 11, 2018

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

movax posted:

Serious post: I need to learn more about electrical grounding procedures / methods for helicopters deathtraps for a SBIR proposal. Any UNCLASS FMs available or other public resources?

Alternately, stories of poor bastards having to manually ground birds before cargo / refueling / etc operations will help me better replace said bastards with a robot. :science: User research! I thought I remembered an entertaining 50FA tale about this.

PM / pointing me to IRC is cool too since, public forum. Don’t tell me anything you’re not supposed too, obviously.

There is an actual Army FM for grounding. My Googling is not turning up the exact pub number. Its full of crazy poo poo you can do to ground things, it might have somethign about flying death traps in it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

ASAPI posted:

There is an actual Army FM for grounding. My Googling is not turning up the exact pub number. Its full of crazy poo poo you can do to ground things, it might have somethign about flying death traps in it.

https://www.signal-chief.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/CECOM-TR-96-2-Earth-Grounding-Pamphlet.pdf

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i advise a method not involving electrocuting yourself

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ah yes, that was it. I got a hold of one once. The command did not approve of my new grounding system.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ASAPI posted:

Ah yes, that was it. I got a hold of one once. The command did not approve of my new grounding system.

I mean I don't see a problem with it

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

EBB posted:

It must have been like smelly chocolate pudding inside the block :cripes:

Oh no, it was like muddy water, because they'd just done the annual services and filled that thing all the way up with coolant. They found out something was wrong when it started ripping nonstop cotton out the exhaust.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I don't see the problem with that. If anything, shut in nerds + physical training is probably a net plus over retarded midwest drop out white boys to the competency of the work force. Plus, if you're in the middle of nowhere with no life prospects, doing a single term as a support MOS to get free college and benefits isn't the worst deal. Just don't sign up to do something loving stupid like combat arms. Which this paper is advertising :v:

e; and it's not like this is some new low of predatory behavior by recruiters.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I liked it more when it was a recruiter using Pokémon Go in a similar fashion at a time when they were specifically blocking that game from working on military installations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Pokemon Go definitely worked at Gordon because I remember seeing people setting up lawn chairs and bringing food out to one of the areas with a few tanks/planes/satellite antennas. Apparently it was marked as a park and that meant it was some kind of Pokemon base. So many ait students spent their weekends there...

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

when was that? I did FTX at pinion canyon in 2003. incredible views and nightly thunderstorms.

2017. It snowed so we left a week early

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

White Chocolate posted:

“Hey S4 can you get us ammunition for tomorrow?”

“☹️ I’ll ask around but we won’t have ammunition till we were supposed to fire next Saturday.”- me, thinking of who I need to call to arrange this outlandish exchange and how impossible this will be

"I'm sorry, but TAMIS is acting up, I'll do what I can."
"Let me call the ASP, but they typically need an appointment to draw ammo"
"We are low on training ammo account and need to laterally transfer some. This will take a few days."

If you actually want to get it done, talk to the SPO if you have one. More than likely your ASP is gonna have dumb rules that you are gonna need to follow.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Y'all ready for .mil sites to get hosed up?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all ready for .mil sites to get hosed up?

I do not wish to be S6 when this happens.

Good lord the rage coming from the head shed when their NIPR 'stops working'.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=qh96vnSooXY

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

J.A.B.C. posted:

I do not wish to be S6 when this happens.

Good lord the rage coming from the head shed when their NIPR 'stops working'.

Mentally place the "chaos reigns" wolf here over and over to get an idea of what this is going to do.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Serves them right imo. Why the gently caress would you build an operating system off of Vista? I never saw that poo poo replaced or upgraded.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
One thing I'm looking forward to is getting out of the Army and not needing a CAC to log in. The new CACs are awful and a pain in the rear end sometimes to get your laptop to read them.

Pretty much everything technology related in the Army pisses me off.

Actually scratch that, everything in the Army pisses me off.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Our 6 shop came around and made sure everyone had an external CAC reader cause the internal ones in the new laptops just straight up don’t work

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's really awkward having to farewell someone at a hail and farewell when you have nothing genuinely nice about the person because they were next to useless and lazy. But I'm stuck with it because they worked for me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"It is a poor shepherd indeed that blames his flock."

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Just be happy knowing that all the underlings that aren't there are happy that all of their leadership is gone. That's the best gift a leader can give: the gift of their absence.

That reminds me that I never got an ETS award. I hope someone got in trouble for that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

It's really awkward having to farewell someone at a hail and farewell when you have nothing genuinely nice about the person because they were next to useless and lazy. But I'm stuck with it because they worked for me.

This is probably why i didnt get one tbh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Just be happy knowing that all the underlings that aren't there are happy that all of their leadership is gone. That's the best gift a leader can give: the gift of their absence.

That reminds me that I never got an ETS award. I hope someone got in trouble for that.

Join the club

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Same.

Although if you think about it, your dd214 is a pretty awesome award in its own right.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’m at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort on an Army paid trip. It’s pretty fucken sweet place and Zugspitze is gorgeous.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah that's one of those few honestly good experiences I had in the army

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

I’m at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort on an Army paid trip. It’s pretty fucken sweet place and Zugspitze is gorgeous.

Zugspitze owns.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Post more pics, looks like some nice terrain!

Or more bird pics, that's cool too.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

Post more pics, looks like some nice terrain!

Or more bird pics, that's cool too.

The birds were everywhere and seemed to have little to no fear of humans. Garmisch/Zugspitze are a short day trip from München too, you can ride a train all the way to the top of the mountain. Plus there's a restaurant/bar/hotel on the peak.

Honestly the whole spot is stunning beyond belief, for sure one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 19, 2018

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

My dad spent most of his time in the Army in Germany and loved every minute of it.

I, in my 15 years, have only experienced Frankfurt from the Terminal, and three weeks of Hohenfels on the way to Kosovo.

I am not pleased.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Yup. Been there more times than I can count. Go to the Partnach Gorge if you can.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoktorLoken posted:

Zugspitze owns.

:parrot:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Soulex posted:

Yup. Been there more times than I can count. Go to the Partnach Gorge if you can.

We want to but might run out of time. Summiting Zugspitze tomorrow with train. We are already planning a longer trip here to see the Partnach Gorge, and my wife hasn’t seen Neuswchanstein Castle either.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I got a huge deposit yesterday, so I went and checked and I finally got rated! Feels good to finally be officially broken.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

We want to but might run out of time. Summiting Zugspitze tomorrow with train. We are already planning a longer trip here to see the Partnach Gorge, and my wife hasn’t seen Neuswchanstein Castle either.

Take the ski Chalet. Dont take the train. The ski chalet is way better.

Theres also something called a Sommerroddlebahn which is basically a luge track. Lots of fun

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's awesome when your unit plans a huge family and kid oriented event on a Saturday and then orders a group of soldiers that are most likely not to have families or kids to provide the labor to set it up and execute it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just FYI that exact thing probably happens even more often than you are aware of to singles in the barracks and every one of them is considering Vietnam-style fragging over it constantly, with a seething hatred.