Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, McGann doesn't really go full Scouse as the Doctor. He leans more into the old school RP side, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
McGann didn't really use his natural accent for the Doctor, though. He mostly goes RP rather than Liverpudlian.

Now, if Craig Charles had played the Doctor...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favourite line is all of doctor who is still:
"If you're from another planet, how comes you sound like yer from the north?"
"Lots of planets have a north!"

Implying that some of them don't

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

McGann didn't really use his natural accent for the Doctor, though. He mostly goes RP rather than Liverpudlian.

Tennant didn't either, unfortunately.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tennant didn't either, unfortunately.

Yeah, he just has this...weird tic that his voice does, where he'll be talking and all of a sudden it goes really high and giggly for a second before coming back down. Is that the best way to describe it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Well yeah, McGann is more RP than Scouse, but there's for sure bits of Liverpool that are in there. Tennant's is less RP than it is Estuary English, so slightly less posh than RP but still very much The South. He should have gone full Scottish with it though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tennant doing fake Estuary by way of Scottish just fits the Tenth Doctor, somehow.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Imagine a Doctor with a Geordie accent.

“Why aye, Davros, yer Daleks are gettin proper radgie, like”

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

Stepping out the tardis onto Pluto wearing shorts and t-shirt

"It's a bit warm."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I always liked that 11 called out 10’s accent. :allears:

“Brave words, Dick van Dyke.”

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's nice that they've picked somewhere other than London.

Disclaimer: I don't really like London very much. It's too noisy, too crowded and too warm for me.

Same, and I live here. Although I’m about to hop in the TARDIS and move to Berlin. :toot:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Same, and I live here. Although I’m about to hop in the TARDIS and move to Berlin. :toot:

Oooooooooooooh, must be nice living in the UK and having a government-funded National TARDIS Service. Just TARDIS's sitting around everywhere, no waiting lists, just walk outside of your house, get inside, and next thing you know you're sitting on Argolis having a splendid time!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TinTower posted:

Can we make this happen next please? Or let's have Jodie regen into Rose Tyler's form but she can only speak in full on chav.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bringing this thread's discussion full circle, Thirteen regenerates into Billie Piper but she's doing her questionable Belfast accent from Penny Dreadful. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor, landing in Boston shortly before her generation, wakes up as Fourteen by saying "I'm gonna have to bang a U-ie at the cornah packie or we're gonna crash, kid."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bringing this thread's discussion full circle, Thirteen regenerates into Billie Piper but she's doing her questionable Belfast accent from Penny Dreadful. :v:

You monster.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rhyno posted:

Can we make this happen next please? Or let's have Jodie regen into Rose Tyler's form but she can only speak in full on chav.

That was Geordie, not 'chav'

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
A Yorkshire accent would be the American cultural equivalent of what...Tennessee?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HD DAD posted:

A Yorkshire accent would be the American cultural equivalent of what...Tennessee?

I don;t know much about Ohio but there's a MMA fighter named Stipe Miocic from Cleveland who communicates primarily through garbled, incomprehensible mumbling, so I'm gonna say it's a Cleveland accent

Wheat Loaf posted:

lol I'd watch it

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Bicyclops posted:

The Doctor, landing in Boston shortly before her generation, wakes up as Fourteen by saying "I'm gonna have to bang a U-ie at the cornah packie or we're gonna crash, kid."

Companions Donny, Mark, and Dewie. The new TARDIS interior is a Dunkin’ Donuts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

Maybe like Minnesota or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

This just gave me the mental image of there being a small Dunkin Donuts stand set into a wall of the TARDIS console room. Behind the counter is a teenage girl called Jessica. She doesn't go on adventures, she's just working this small Dunkin concession. The TARDIS crew barely acknowledge her beyond getting cups of coffee or the occasional donut.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Be glad it's not a Pittsburgh accent. Apparently we never use the words "to be" when describing an action.

"The laundry needs done."
"The car needs washed (warshed)."
"The baby needs vaccinated."
"Or not!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

While I know that Belfast is technically what she was going for, I think it's very unfair to the people of Ulster to imply that they in any way sound like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

While I know that Belfast is technically what she was going for, I think it's very unfair to the people of Ulster to imply that they in any way sound like that.

Well, like I mentioned earlier, the character was meant to be from Belfast (though it's very odd indeed that she's also supposed to a Catholic but mentions growing up on the Shankill), but she got her tips for the accent from her friend Nadine Coyle of Girls Aloud... who is from Londonderry. :v:

Edit: Also, we sound much worse.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, like I mentioned earlier, the character was meant to be from Belfast (though it's very odd indeed that she's also supposed to a Catholic but mentions growing up on the Shankill), but she got her tips for the accent from her friend Nadine Coyle of Girls Aloud... who is from Londonderry. :v:

Edit: Also, we sound much worse.

I've only been a couple of times but I've never found the accent as harsh as it's made out to be on TV. I mean yeah, there's some people that are at the extreme end but the majority of people were fine. Barely any Jim McDonalds to speak of. So it is.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe like Minnesota or something?

Crossover between Doctor Who and the next season of Fargo spotted! :v:

"Ah jeez, there's...ya got the Daleks there, ah jeez, ah cripes...oh yah, gotta find that there TARDIS there, you betcha"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the doctor should be played by jean reno

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1050355410341912578

He's adorable

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

"But it has to be authentic."

*films on a train that isn't falling to pieces*

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Get Patrick Stewart to be the Doctor but he’s pretending he’s French again.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Wolfechu posted:

Someone from Sheffield in South Yorkshire is going to sound different to someone from Doncaster 15 miles away.
And if you haven't an ear for it, you can always fall back on traditional Doncastrian dress:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

I laughed. There's one spot where the T lines almost cross, and you can see one DD in front of you and another a block to the side.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

River is meeting Jago in a Talons prequel. BF are getting an actual Asian actor, Nicholas Goh, to play Li H’Sen Chang.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

:3:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HD DAD posted:

The impenetrability and cultural prominence of the Deep South married to the industrial sensibilities of the Rust Belt

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

The impenetrability and cultural prominence of the Deep South married to the industrial sensibilities of the Rust Belt

Appalachia?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Be glad it's not a Pittsburgh accent. Apparently we never use the words "to be" when describing an action.

"The laundry needs done."
"The car needs washed (warshed)."
"The baby needs vaccinated."
"Or not!"
This always cheeses me off, because it's either the laundry needs to be done, or the laundry needs doing. It's a mixture of active and passive and it makes my brain goblins displeased.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

This always cheeses me off, because it's either the laundry needs to be done, or the laundry needs doing. It's a mixture of active and passive and it makes my brain goblins displeased.

Welcome to Louisiana! I'm out of milk so I'm going to the Winn-Dixie to make groceries!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I'm going to the Winn-Dixie to make groceries!

Sounds like a euphemism for taking a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
In the new series, the Doctor and friends discover the last remaining humans in America and try to solve their most pressing crisis: whether it's called "pop", "soda", or one of the other many regional terms :ohdear: