Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this is the precure equivalent of a creepypasta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is this a hugtto for an ant

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I thought Lulu's face in the first scene last week was really cute, so here's an isolated avatar version if anyone wants it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/moca_news/status/1046550335110635520

Wonder if they're saving Cure Flora for an even more stronger foe

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

they're beyond the threshold of three series, nothing can save them now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It seems way too late in the series to be doing this but I suppose if they limit it to one or two episode appearances (or better yet try to work it into the main plot somehow) they might be able to pull it off. Still, I liked the Futari Wa crossover from a little while back so I'm interested to see how they handle this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Hi, I'm Cure Magical and this is Cure Miracle. And this is Cure Felice, our daughter. She's God."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

"Hi, I'm Cure Magical and this is Cure Miracle. And this is Cure Felice, our daughter. She's God."
the best maho is mofurun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mofurun is also the series first trans representation

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. Reasons to watch Nanoha more: Beam spam, column sized beams. I think I need to find A's and maybe the movies.

I started watching Pretty Cure and the 1st episode alone is a good punch girl example. I've seen the suplex clip but real interested to see how the show goes for 50 episodes + Max Heart.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 1, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. Reasons to watch Nanoha more: Beam spam, column sized beams. I think I need to find A's and maybe the movies.

I started watching Pretty Cure and the 1st episode alone is a good punch girl example. I've seen the suplex clip but real interested to see how the show goes for 50 episodes + Max Heart.

Futari Wa and it's sequel series are among my top favorite Precure seasons to be honest. I think you're going to like it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The problem with Max Heart is that it becomes basically The Nagisa Show.

People complain about "pink bias" in newer stuff but that was when it was actually prevalent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

The problem with Max Heart is that it becomes basically The Nagisa Show.

People complain about "pink bias" in newer stuff but that was when it was actually prevalent.

True, this franchise does run into the Sentai problem where the leader/Red (or Pink in this case) is generally treated as more important than the rest of the team. In this case, Nagisa is my favorite character in Futari Wa so it didn't bother me quite as much but it is there.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Larryb posted:

True, this franchise does run into the Sentai problem where the leader/Red (or Pink in this case) is generally treated as more important than the rest of the team. In this case, Nagisa is my favorite character in Futari Wa so it didn't bother me quite as much but it is there.

i freaking hate that cliche so much. it's kind of why i stopped watching super sentai and watched kamen rider instead. the trope can be handled well but i hate it when characters are sidelined in favor of the leader or main character. then again blue and green magical girls/rangers tend to be my favorite characters. sixth rangers as well.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The B-team fight scene animators in futari really love that drill kick.

As for the early series character focus problems, they feel like a function of the series’ length. I don’t mind, since it set a precedent for the length of the following series’, and they eventually learned how to properly pace such a behemoth, so I’m glad it exists.
However, Futari runs out of ideas pretty quick, and they wind up having to rely on the fuji-p crush for material, which wound up not being a very strong dynamic. Every time it came up it felt like sticking a bucket in a dry well.
Max Heart had shiny luminous, which refreshed the formula a bit, but not enough to avoid falling in the same fuji-pit.
Futari’s villans are pretty dry too. The series didn’t really know what it wanted to be yet, so they all wound up being vaguely evil and monotonous. Although, Kiriya’s cool because of Honoka, and Uraganos was a lot of fun no matter what.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Looking forward to next weeks return to the origin of Yellow Cures being the best cures

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Irritated Goat posted:

A's is definitely worth watching. I think it's stronger than the first series.

StrikerS has its moments as well but is definitely a pretty big step down. I'd almost like to see it adapted into a movie.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So I finally watched Sailor Stars. It was tough to get into at first because the Sailor Starlights are obnoxious as all hell and I felt like the only real pathos from the series was coming from the villain's lackeys, but then the last ten episodes or so were astounding and pretty much makes up for it. I especially loved the villain Galaxia and her backstory. Like, imagine knowing that you're destined to become the galaxy's biggest villain due to your heroic actions and just hoping to god that someday someone can stop you. Holy poo poo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

So I finally watched Sailor Stars. It was tough to get into at first because the Sailor Starlights are obnoxious as all hell and I felt like the only real pathos from the series was coming from the villain's lackeys, but then the last ten episodes or so were astounding and pretty much makes up for it. I especially loved the villain Galaxia and her backstory. Like, imagine knowing that you're destined to become the galaxy's biggest villain due to your heroic actions and just hoping to god that someday someone can stop you. Holy poo poo.

I actually kind of thought the ending of the manga version was a bit better in this case but it was still a decent season, better than The Chibiusa Show Feat. Usagi SuperS anyway. Speaking of Sailor Moon, I'd highly recommend checking out the live action series (Pretty Gaurdian Sailor Moon), the effects are cheesy even by toku standards and there are fights where the actors barely touch each other but it's well cast (especially Usagi), develops the other scouts almost more than the 90's version did and the new additions actually help make the story a bit better. It's a pity they only covered the Dark Kingdom arc as I honestly wouldn't mind seeing more.

Another thing about PGSM is that despite being 49 episodes long there is almost no filler. Every episode is devoted to developing the plot and/or the characters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 12, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It could have done without 18 episodes of monster of the week faff between Sailor Moon SuperS: Sorry about Sailor Moon SuperS and End of Sailor Moon.

It'd be one thing if it was good MoTW but it really isn't to be honest.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

It could have done without 18 episodes of monster of the week faff between Sailor Moon SuperS: Sorry about Sailor Moon SuperS and End of Sailor Moon.

It'd be one thing if it was good MoTW but it really isn't to be honest.

The monsters in Stars were...unique at any rate and the whole MotW format was kind of a staple of the 90's show from the start. The only time I really found it annoying was in SuperS where almost every episode seemed to follow the exact same plot: villains target someone with a beautiful dream, one of the scouts befriends that person (or are the victim themselves in some cases), villain succeeds in capturing them but fails to find Pegasus, summons a monster that is ultimately taken down by Chibiusa and Usagi (even if the episode is supposed to be about one of the other scouts), victim has a renewed sense of purpose and disappears from the plot, and the rest of the team may as well not exist for how little focus they seem to get.

It's the one season of the anime where I can actually say with 100% certainty that the manga version is actually better in most respects. (as such, the upcoming Crystal movies might actually be good. Especially if they have the same animation quality as Season 3). The only real saving grace of SuperS in my opinion is the final arc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 12, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yeah, honestly the MotW episodes of Sailor Stars were... Pretty bad to the point that I considered dropping it a few times, I'm glad I stuck through to the end though. I actually really liked the animal Sailors (Iron Mouse, etc) and how they would just TARDIS the gently caress out of dodge when they picked yet another wrong Star Seed.

Best MotW episode from this season was the one where literally everyone just wound up in Usagi's house and shenanigans ensued.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The villains in Stars literally just being evil Sailor Scouts was a nice touch and changing the Starlights to be men who transform into women (as far as I can remember anyway) as opposed to just women disguised as men like they were in the manga was interesting if nothing else.

It didn't bother me as much as SuperS but it was still pretty episodic and honestly felt a little sparse considering they'd already written out most of the supporting cast by that point. Dumping Chibiusa after the first arc with no sendoff was kind of weird too.

Overall it's not the greatest season but it's not exactly terrible either (plus we should finally be getting a proper English dub of it here before too long). My personal favorite seasons are the original (which probably has the best final fight out of any Sailor Moon related media), S, PGSM and Season 3 of Crystal.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 12, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The R movie was the best part of the series for me, but I remember nothing about the R season. I remember vaguely liking it when I was a kid? I should see it again, refresh my memory.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

The R movie was the best part of the series for me, but I remember nothing about the R season. I remember vaguely liking it when I was a kid? I should see it again, refresh my memory.

The R movie doesn't really have anything to do with the season itself but it's still pretty good from what I remember (in fact, I think the only movie that's technically canon is the one for S as that was based on an actual side chapter Takeuchi made for the manga). R itself isn't bad either from what I remember, the Doom Tree arc was decent despite being 100% filler and they actually gave the Black Moon Clan some extra characterization like they did for the 4 Generals in the previous season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I've never seen any of the Sailor Moon stage musicals but I've heard good things (fun fact: The actress for Naru in PGSM also played Ami in a few of said musicals). Are there any in particular that are worth checking out?

Speaking of Naru, I read somewhere recently that one of Takeuchi's original plans for the series was for her to actually join the team at some point as Sailor Earth but it never wound up panning out. Too bad because that might have been interesting to see.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 13, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I’ve heard that the woman who plays tuxedo mask is a hunk, and that the musicals in general from La Reconquista forward are very good. I wouldn’t know personally since my first go on the sailor moon musicals was the Dracula one, and you know what they say, once bitten, twice shy.

I know the idea of sailor moon vs dracula is interesting on its face, but please don’t.

edit - I heard from an untrustworthy fellow that Ami was originally going to be an android! Take my tall tale with a grain of salt. Robots are cool though.

There are those who say that Endymion fills the sailor earth slot, which I suppose is fair, but Naru deserves more screen time, dangit.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 13, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

I’ve heard that the woman who plays tuxedo mask is a hunk, and that the musicals in general from La Reconquista forward are very good. I wouldn’t know personally since my first go on the sailor moon musicals was the Dracula one, and you know what they say, once bitten, twice shy.

I know the idea of sailor moon vs dracula is interesting on its face, but please don’t.

edit - I heard from an untrustworthy fellow that Ami was originally going to be an android! Take my tall tale with a grain of salt. Robots are cool though.

There are those who say that Endymion fills the sailor earth slot, which I suppose is fair, but Naru deserves more screen time, dangit.

Mamoru's full name literally means "Protector of Earth" (kind of like how Usagi Tsukino means "Moon Rabbit" and the other scouts are "Water Field", "Fire Field", "Wood Field" and "Beautiful Child of Love" respectively) but the whole Naru/Sailor Earth thing apparently came straight from Takeuchi herself (it was a scrapped idea though and it seems it probably wouldn't have happened until Stars).

But yeah, if anyone deserved to be a Sailor Scout it probably would have been her. It always kind of annoyed me how the 90's series eventually just wrote her (and most of the other side characters) off the show entirely barring a one episode appearance in SuperS.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 13, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cygames doing more for Precure in English than Toei

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sometimes I forget that Domon Kasshu voiced a cute, constantly-hungry magical girl fairy. :allears:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

seeing as I'm enough Precure trash that I downloaded and frequently play the Precure puzzle game despite it being JPN-localized only, I'm now tempted to play this as well solely for my FutaPre girls :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I play GranBlue super casual, only for events featuring collabs with things I like, and it's fun enough. They do tons of free rolls these days. They did a Cardcaptor Sakura collab too, so hopefully they rerun that someday.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Sometimes I forget that Domon Kasshu voiced a cute, constantly-hungry magical girl fairy. :allears:

And Honoka voiced Mezool in Kamen Rider OOO (most recently she also played Kale in Dragon Ball Super).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 14, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

she was also Lalamon.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm casual but have Aquors and will get the Futari Wa girls and now want Aikatsu for the ultimate team up party

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm casual but have Aquors and will get the Futari Wa girls and now want Aikatsu for the ultimate team up party

They can just put in Regina and you'll essentially have Ichigo too that way

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

put in yurika and the pink and blue hair girl

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

she was also Lalamon.

Among several other roles, she's probably the biggest name in the main cast of Futari Wa besides Tomakazu Seki (Mepple).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

i want sailor moon, also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

i want sailor moon, also

I would also take Doremi, Nanoha, and Symphogear and Magical Girl job so I can go with an elite magical girl team