Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Who What Now posted:

According to the SRD, going from Indifferent to Fanatic is a DC90 skill check. That's not even all that hard to meet by 20th level. Taking someone from Hostile to Fanatic is a DC 150, harder but still not impossible.

Fanatics themselves get +2 Strength and Constitution, +1 to Will saves, and a -1 AC. You can Concentrate so hard that people literally get healthier. Fanaticism last for 1+Cha mod days, and is considered Mind-Affecting for purposes of immunity, saves against it (the SRD does not allow saves for it), and Sense Motive checks, but it is not magical and cannot be dispelled, only temporarily suppressed. After the effect ends they go back to their original, or better, disposition, but there's no reason you can't just amaze them again with some more kickass Perform: Spin Kicks and just re-up the duration. And unlike the Leadership feat or the Thrallherd prestige class, there is absolutely no upper limit to how many Fanatics you can have or what HD they can be. If you have the Wild Empathy class feature you can even use it on animals!

The other great thing about Exemplars is at tenth levels, you have become so amazing at the thing(s) that you do that you transcend your mortal trappings and become an Outsider. This is the exact same capstone feature as a 20th level monk. Imagine that monk meets another person in his travels, and instantly recognizes a kindred spirit. The monk explains how he achieved true oneness of mind, body, and spirit in order to ascend into a higher form. The other being, a Commoner 10/Exemplar 10, explains that she is the best there ever was at Craft: Jenkem Brewing, and pulls out a goat bladder filled with poo poo fumes so amazing you would kill to get another whiff of them. Suddenly everything the monk knew was a lie. All his years of hard work did nothing for him that huffing rotted human waste gasses couldn't. Such is life in the realms.

Classtoise posted:

I will fight anyone who tries to tell me the Jumplomancer is not the greatest gimmick build. Keep your Pun-Puns and Infinite Stats.

I'll be over here building a dude so good at jumping entire nations fall at my feet moments before I take to the skies again.

I have had to leave Court to go to another room to hide the giggles I got when I re-read these lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What druid subclass is this?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

oobey posted:

The next couple of strips are kind of a downer, though. Especially the one where Haley leaves her dad behind. The final two panels, yikes.

"You raised me well" in orange is just heartbreaking and hits way too close to home.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I also reread that a few ago and that cut real deep.

Stupid comics making me feel my own feels

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well, if it's a Rogue/Druid then it's spells can't be very strong

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm trying and failing to parse this man's proportions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Shapeshift gone awry.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm trying and failing to parse this man's proportions.

That's your brain protecting you from things you shouldn't comprehend.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Telling someone I had no interest in D&D anymore turned into an edition argument :(

Why RPG players gotta be that way?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I have no memory of making these posts, but I'm proud of them.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 12, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Rapidly approaching page 1000. Should we start looking at a new thread?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

This thread is 11 years old, my rear end you start a new one

hell, I was pissed when they changed the thread title from its original one this year

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nah. If there's any thread that should be over a decade long, it's this one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

my dad posted:

Nah. If there's any thread that should be over a decade long, it's this one.
Fair.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Len posted:

Telling someone I had no interest in D&D anymore turned into an edition argument :(

Why RPG players gotta be that way?

I hope your disinterest in D&D has sparked an interest in the wealth of TRPGs out there that are different from D&D. There's a lot of good stuff out there and it kills me that so many people are D&D or nothing. There are games suited to different formats better (voice, text, large table, few dice, many dice) and games that do well as one-shots or short format, or games that just play with narrative structure in various ways. d20 did a great thing at bringing so many more people to the hobby, but now that they're here they seem so afraid to dip their toes into the wealth of material available that it can be honestly frustrating.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm clearly not as good at 3.x as I thought, where exactly by level 20 are you getting 70+ ranks in your skills to hit DC20 checks?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm clearly not as good at 3.x as I thought, where exactly by level 20 are you getting 70+ ranks in your skills to hit DC20 checks?
Using only the SRD... Let's assume you're trying to max out Strength, and using Jump, because that's the one I can think of a few extra ways to boost.

Start as a Half-Orc Barbarian with 20 Str (+5), take 10 levels in Barbarian, 10 in Exemplar
Increase strength every 4 levels (Up to 25, still just +7)
Get someone to cast Enlarge Person and Permanency, giving you another permanent +2 Strength. (27, +8)
Read a +5 Manual of Gainful Exercise, boosting you to a permanent 32 (+11)
Wear a +6 Belt of Giant's Strength (38, +14)
Turn on your Rage, get a +4 to Strength for the duration (42, +16)

+16 from Strength
+23 from Jump ranks
+2 from Skill Synergy (Tumble)
+2 from Acrobatic (feat)
+3 from Skill Focus (Jump) (feat)
+4 from Run (feat) if you get a running start.
+10 from an Improved Ring of Jumping, this gives a higher Competence bonus than Boots of Striding and Springing.
+10 from the Jump spell, which is a level 1 spell, so it not being permanent isn't a huge issue, just drink a potion or read a scroll.

That's +70 right there, and that's not even anything particularly rare or outside of what you'd normally expect. Assuming you can take 10 on the check, you can casually jump 20 feet into the air.

Edit: And as an added bonus, you now probably have a to-hit bonus in the low 40s (before Power Attack).

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 12, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Using only the SRD... Let's assume you're trying to max out Strength, and using Jump, because that's the one I can think of a few extra ways to boost.

Start as a Half-Orc Barbarian with 20 Str (+5), take 10 levels in Barbarian, 10 in Exemplar
Increase strength every 4 levels (Up to 25, still just +7)
Get someone to cast Enlarge Person and Permanency, giving you another permanent +2 Strength. (27, +8)
Read a +5 Manual of Gainful Exercise, boosting you to a permanent 32 (+11)
Wear a +6 Belt of Giant's Strength (38, +14)
Turn on your Rage, get a +4 to Strength for the duration (42, +16)

+16 from Strength
+23 from Jump ranks
+2 from Skill Synergy (Tumble)
+2 from Acrobatic (feat)
+3 from Skill Focus (Jump) (feat)
+4 from Run (feat) if you get a running start.
+10 from an Improved Ring of Jumping, this gives a higher Competence bonus than Boots of Striding and Springing.
+10 from the Jump spell, which is a level 1 spell, so it not being permanent isn't a huge issue, just drink a potion or read a scroll.

That's +70 right there, and that's not even anything particularly rare or outside of what you'd normally expect. Assuming you can take 10 on the check, you can casually jump 20 feet into the air.

Edit: And as an added bonus, you now probably have a to-hit bonus in the low 40s (before Power Attack).

Lol throw in an item familiar for an extra +30

note: i have never heard of gm allowing item familiars, they're blatantly broken

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The thing that always makes me skeptical of these builds though, especially some of the wizard builds, is how to survive or have the campaign last long enough to get to that point starting at level 1.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

The thing that always makes me skeptical of these builds though, especially some of the wizard builds, is how to survive or have the campaign last long enough to get to that point starting at level 1.
That's why I started as a Half-Orc Barbarian. Do it right and they won't even know you're up to any shenanigans until you take Exemplar. Just put a few points in Diplomacy, make something up about why you want Skill Focus (Jump) at 9th level, and you're done.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 12, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raenir Salazar posted:

The joke answer is Sleep, the real answer is drat near any campaign is going to start with the characters at level 3 at the least, because level 1 play in 3rd edition is just as miserable for everyone else as it is for the wizard.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Say, what's the front-runner theory on what happened when the psion telepathically entered the rift? Was her brain destroyed? Did the rift close? I had totally forgotten the strange artwork on the rift when she blanked out. And we haven't seen her or it since, right?

I read all the material from the fall of Azure City to the start of the Northern Lands segment and enjoyed myself. Many things, particularly Therkla's side story, were tolerable or even enjoyable when I didn't have to wait months between entries. However you can put me on record that Roy's Ghost was an awful idea. Every single strip where he wasn't in the heavens he was cluttering up an already wordy comic (and typically making the panel art too busy). That poo poo in Greysky City was the *worst*. Absolutely no one can hear the :words: and :words: Roy's barfing out so they serve zero plot purpose. Really clumsy stuff and the one thing I found tedious on re-reading.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Looking back at that arc, man there's some interesting bits.

"The Linear Guild is practically synonymous with taking disproportionate revenge over quasi-imagined slights!"

Like Father, like Son

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SuperKlaus posted:

Say, what's the front-runner theory on what happened when the psion telepathically entered the rift? Was her brain destroyed? Did the rift close? I had totally forgotten the strange artwork on the rift when she blanked out. And we haven't seen her or it since, right?

I think it’s supposed to be taken at face value. Laurin is alive and well, as is the rift. Miron pulled her away from it and the Snarl only managed to strike some faceless Shvitzer guards. She was stunned because she went from sensing no life in the rift to sensing an incomprehensible Lovecraftian horror. The strip mirrored the crayon story of Soon’s wife finding a dormant-seeming rift and fiddling with it right up until it lashed out and destroyed her, right after Roy had been wondering if anything Shojo told them was true.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Potsticker posted:

I hope your disinterest in D&D has sparked an interest in the wealth of TRPGs out there that are different from D&D. There's a lot of good stuff out there and it kills me that so many people are D&D or nothing. There are games suited to different formats better (voice, text, large table, few dice, many dice) and games that do well as one-shots or short format, or games that just play with narrative structure in various ways. d20 did a great thing at bringing so many more people to the hobby, but now that they're here they seem so afraid to dip their toes into the wealth of material available that it can be honestly frustrating.

It has. There are so many not- D&D options for games but I've had no luck swaying anyone to actually play something different.

"But I don't want to buy any books" "I have legal PDFs"
"But I don't want to learn a new system" "so play how I play DND and just ask questions constantly"

Fuckers just want what's comfortable like being in an abusive relationship.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

PMush Perfect posted:

[Twenty Levels to be Good at Jumping]

You seem to be saying that it's a bad thing that the game allows this at 20th level, but all I'm seeing is a rad folklore character like Paul Bunyan.

Do you not want to see Paul Bunyan make a lich his bitch?!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Getting to a ludicrous skill bonus at 20th level is nothing. At that level, your peers have access to Wish and Miracle! "Getting people to do things for you" is an unremarkable feat.

The real trick is to be a bard with the right combination of items, feats and spells and have completely game-breaking Diplomacy and Bluff bonuses by, say, level 6.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Android Blues posted:

Getting to a ludicrous skill bonus at 20th level is nothing. At that level, your peers have access to Wish and Miracle! "Getting people to do things for you" is an unremarkable feat.

But you can get your peers to use Wish and Miracle for your benefit just by jumping really good.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Can you use your impressive jumping powers to convince the genie to not be a dick with the wish?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

nimby posted:

But you can get your peers to use Wish and Miracle for your benefit just by jumping really good.

Yeah.
Also casting Wish costs XP.
Do you know how I got to be Level 20? It wasn't by casting spells that cost XP. It was by Jumping. Like this.

(Proceeds to jump so high, he jumps out of this thread and lands in the Newspaper Spider-man thread.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Len posted:

"But I don't want to buy any books" "I have legal PDFs"
"But I don't want to learn a new system" "so play how I play DND and just ask questions constantly"

Fuckers just want what's comfortable like being in an abusive relationship.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

It's very frustrating, for sure. Nerds can be such idiots. Try something new and you might have actual fun?? You'll learn new controls when you play a new video game, right? On top of that a lot of this stuff is easier to learn.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Those loving nerds pretending to have fun with a system I no longer like! :argh:

I like pathfinder, warts and all. I will play another system if someone else dms.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My experiences with Pathfinder were too similar to my experiences with 3.X, it's fine between levels 3 to 7 and then devolves into Rocket Tag.

I greatly enjoyed the short times I had with 5E, besides some lovely sessions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

World Famous W posted:

Those loving nerds pretending to have fun with a system I no longer like! :argh:

I like pathfinder, warts and all. I will play another system if someone else dms.

That's the thing I'm willing to learn a system and run it. If it's one shots I'll even pregen characters so we can skip that timesink but I know the bad kinds of people that just refuse to play anything other than 3e

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

World Famous W posted:

gently caress off lol.

People can absolutely have fun with whatever they like. That's not the issue. The issue is refusing to play anything else.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Potsticker posted:

gently caress off lol.

People can absolutely have fun with whatever they like. That's not the issue. The issue is refusing to play anything else.

It's ok for people to not play anything else.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Who What Now posted:

It's ok for people to not play anything else.

Somewhere out there is a guy who listens to nothing but Linkin Park's In The End on repeat.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My experience with the "we don't want to try anything new" mentality actually happened during 3.5, with the online group I was part of not ever wanting to let me try out any of the new stuff from things like Tome of Magic or Tome of Battle. Usually, it was just a matter of "I don't own the book, so I'm not comfortable with letting you run something from it, even if I trust you not to bring stupidly overpowered stuff to the game," and that's a fair attitude to have. But there was also this one guy who's basic attitude to incorporating anything new was "I don't want to have to memorize a whole new spell list just for you to play a character," and I'm like... why would you even memorize the whole spell list to begin with? What's wrong with me just giving you a list of the specific spells/powers/whatever I've picked for my character and just ignoring the rest?

It was just always a major buzzkill to get a new book, get excited about new options, and then being told, "No, because :effort: ".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Because, all together now, What The Players Can Do The Enemies Can Do, and if Bob the Tome Wizard can learn a spell then by god that spell is necessarily part of the repertoire of 1d100% of the world's wizards at large and the DM has to figure out if a branch of economy can be built around its regular use. In what kind of realistic world has only one single person ever learnt a particular spell!

That kind of poo poo is seriously one of my exclusion criteria for RPGs these days. PC abilities are PC abilities and enemies can have whatever is appropriate for them? Sweet, we're gonna be badass heroes fighting weird creatures. Spells are the building blocks of the world, rules are physics and enemy stat blocks regularly refer me to the wizard spell list? That DM is gonna make me track how much lamp oil I have left.

And no it's not a coincidence that that's pretty much the 3.5/4E split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Somewhere out there is a guy who listens to nothing but Linkin Park's In The End on repeat.

Please stop doxxing me